Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices (978 Views)

See Wat Fashola Told GEJ When There Was Oil Slump+Hike In Fuel Price In 2014(Pic / Nigerians Must Live With The Consequences Of "CHANGE" - FFK / Slump In Oil Prices: A Progressive Way Out (1)- Bola Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by kmoneyman: 8:43am On Nov 19, 2014
The oil producing nations of the world are the worst hit by this fall in crude oil prices.Nigeria for one is obviously going to suffer the damaging effect of this as the economy is so reliant on this resource for foreign earnings.
Now the only measure taken so far by the Gej led government is to place an embargo on foreign trips by public servants and government expenditure without yet considering huge amount spent on subsidy on petroleum products.
Now I perceive that the present Gej lead government will ignore the signs and go to any length to keep financing the petroleum products subsidy at a recurrent deficit all in a bid to stay in favour and be re-elected come 2015 after which the whole mess would be revealed in tighter austerity measures which would have a devastating effect on every Nigerian whether rich or poor,but will be felt more by the masses. And the resultant effect of this might lead to war and chaos as we all know that "a hungry man is an angry man"
So let's be wise and vote for fresh ideas,new government,new ideology...Let's vote for change,vote Buhari 2015.
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by XuteSleeks(m): 8:57am On Nov 19, 2014
I'm not deeply rooted into all these political stuff but K money it ain't enough to say vote for change. How will this change happen? I expect anyone vying for such a position to have a plan. What will he do differently? U don't start planning when you get to Aso. Answers please or we might just be headed for another round of sentimental guess-voting. #My thoughts#

1 Like

Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by kmoneyman: 9:19am On Nov 19, 2014
XuteSleeks:
I'm not deeply rooted into all these political stuff but K money it ain't enough to say vote for change. How will this change happen? I expect anyone vying for such a position to have a plan. What will he do differently? U don't start planning when you get to Aso. Answers please or we might just be headed for another round of sentimental guess-voting. #My thoughts#
Thank you Sir for ur civil approach.When I say change,I mean a new government that will face the reality on ground that drastic measures need to be taken.not just an embargo on foreing trips by civil servants but a complete halt of corruption and the bitter truth in d removal of subsidy on petroleum products and getting our refineries back to production capacity to further drop d pump price of petroleum products. All these Gej should do.. but wouldn't do all in a bid to be re-elected next year.
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by XuteSleeks(m): 9:37am On Nov 19, 2014
Well said. U now giving us a reason to think before we vote. Cheers.
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by kmoneyman: 10:30am On Nov 19, 2014
XuteSleeks:
Well said. U now giving us a reason to think before we vote. Cheers.
Thanks and God bless you as you join us in doing the right thing.

Buhari 2015.
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by kmoneyman: 10:55am On Nov 19, 2014
Let's go people!! Read all about it. Let's save Nigeria
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by timilinda(f): 12:39pm On Nov 19, 2014
XuteSleeks:

Beautiful!!!
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by kmoneyman: 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2014
timilinda:

Beautiful!!!
undecided
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by major466(m): 1:25pm On Nov 19, 2014
You want GEJ to remove the petroleum subsidy? Well he tried to do that in 2012 but Nigerians took to the streets in protest.
For now, the best option for the short term is for the Nigerian Government to cut down expenses in the recurrent expenditure and raise taxes on luxury items like private jet owners.

The four refineries we have are already outdated. Parts needed for their maintenance are currently out of production. Therefore the federal government has no option but to continue with the subsidy program on petroleum products until when new refineries which are scheduled to begin operational in 2018 are completed.
BTW Nigeria's economy is still buoyant. The diversification programs are already yielding results with agriculture and manufacturing contributing significantly to our GDP for the first time in many years.
In three years time Nigeria will begin the export of Rice, Automobiles, Smartphones etc. This in the long run will push up the value of the naira and strengthen our currency against major world currencies. Export of agricultural products and manufactured goods is the way to go and the federal government is already on it. These are the long term plans towards the development of the economy. It will take a bit of time to yield the needed results.

1 Like

Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by kmoneyman: 3:32pm On Nov 19, 2014
major466:
You want GEJ to remove the petroleum subsidy? Well he tried to do that in 2012 but Nigerians took to the streets in protest.
For now, the best option for the short term is for the Nigerian Government to cut down expenses in the recurrent expenditure and raise taxes on luxury items like private jet owners.

The four refineries we have are already outdated. Parts needed for their maintenance are currently out of production. Therefore the federal government has no option but to continue with the subsidy program on petroleum products until when new refineries which are scheduled to begin operational in 2018 are completed.
BTW Nigeria's economy is still buoyant. The diversification programs are already yielding results with agriculture and manufacturing contributing significantly to our GDP for the first time in many years.
In three years time Nigeria will begin the export of Rice, Automobiles, Smartphones etc. This in the long run will push up the value of the naira and strengthen our currency against major world currencies. Export of agricultural products and manufactured goods is the way to go and the federal government is already on it. These are the long term plans towards the development of the economy. It will take a bit of time to yield the needed results.
Bros no insult meant here but ‎u talk like ‎u don't live in Nigeria?Apart from Agriculture I don't see any other forex earner for Nigeria in the next 10 years if we are to be realistic here.Have you forgotten "vision 2000" to vision "2010" and now to vision "2020" all because we as a country could not meet the targets .And to address the subsidy issue,if Gej should win which I doubt,he will remove that subsidy.He won't remove it now only because it will hurt his perceived re-election bid.But this is the best time to remove subsidy.
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by kmoneyman: 8:17pm On Nov 25, 2014
Read all about it !
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by Daniman: 9:43pm On Nov 25, 2014
so you want him to remove the subsidy now and people like you will still take to the street and call him all sorts of name
Re: Percieved Consequences Of Slump In Crude Oil Prices by Bright2(m): 9:59pm On Nov 25, 2014
I heard Buhari is a magician but that can not make Nigeria great overnight.

(1) (Reply)

CONFIRMED: Aregbesola And Amosun Voted For Buhari / whats the Outcome Of Our national CONFERENCE? / Breaking News!!! Air Asia Airliner Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.