Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,197 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. (1294 Views)

Again, Senate Passes Vote Of Confidence On Saraki. Leadership. / Senate Will Reconvene To Consider Ministerial List — Saraki / Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by adioolayi(m): 4:47pm On Nov 19, 2014
Senate Disagrees Over Emergency Rule, Reconvenes Tomorrow
BY CHANNELS TELEVISION  .  NOV 19, 2014
Members of the Senate on Wednesday disagreed for a second day over President Goodluck Jonathan’s request to extend the State of Emergency in three North Eastern States of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe.

The Senate had been in a closed door meeting to deliberate on the president’s request, after discussions had reached a dead-end on Tuesday.

Senators had been unable to reach an agreement on the matter as some northern lawmakers, particularly those from Yobe and Borno states, were opposed to the extension of emergency rule in the three north eastern states.

The northern lawmakers were opposed to the extension of emergency rule on the grounds that the extension had not helped to curb terrorism in the region.

This is the second day in a row where the senators are discussing the extension of emergency and have reached a dead-end.

The House is expected to re-convene on Thursday for further deliberations.
http://www.channelstv.com/2014/11/19/senate-disagrees-emergency-rule-reconvenes-tomorrow/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by adioolayi(m): 4:52pm On Nov 19, 2014
Will the President lose on this?
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by Blakjewelry(m): 5:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
So if they withdraw troops who will defend the place?
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by onoja12: 5:26pm On Nov 19, 2014
state of emergence doesn't mean withdraw troops,

Blakjewelry:
So if they withdraw troops who will defend the place?

3 Likes

Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by Blakjewelry(m): 6:10pm On Nov 19, 2014
onoja12:
state of emergence doesn't mean withdraw troops,

My brother explain the difference oo, because as far as I can remember I don't see the difference. The governors of those states were not sacked except the addiction of extra troops.

2 Likes

Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by onoja12: 6:50pm On Nov 19, 2014
under a state of emergency the state losses there right to the federal government meaning if the president likes there would be no voting in those state,secondly there is limitation of movement for civilians,but why civilians cant move the boko haram guys move around freely,so it has made the people seating ducks to the boko haram guys

Blakjewelry:

My brother explain the difference oo, because as far as I can remember I don't see the difference. The governors of those states were not sacked except the addiction of extra troops.
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by egift(m): 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2014
Without continuing the State of Emergency Rule in those 3 States, as Commander in Chief, Jonathan can still move security forces around. But the Zoologist is asking for an extension so that he will grab the Money that comes with it.
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by Blakjewelry(m): 8:17pm On Nov 19, 2014
onoja12:
under a state of emergency the state losses there right to the federal government meaning if the president likes there would be no voting in those state,secondly there is limitation of movement for civilians,but why civilians cant move the boko haram guys move around freely,so it has made the people seating ducks to the boko haram guys

I don't still see the difference since it's not a full state of emergency. For one elections might not hold in those states. Anyone coming out to vote do so at their own risk, state of emergency or no state of emergency curfew will still be imposed.
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by Blakjewelry(m): 8:17pm On Nov 19, 2014
onoja12:

I don't still see the difference since it's not a full state of emergency. For one elections might not hold in those states. Anyone coming out to vote do so at their own risk, state of emergency or no state of emergency curfew will still be imposed. Q
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
egift:
Without continuing the State of Emergency Rule in those 3 States, as Commander in Chief, Jonathan can still move security forces around. But the Zoologist is asking for an extension so that he will grab the Money that comes with it.

Most probably there is a grand attempt to keep those states which are being administered by the opposition under the emergency rule in order for elections not to take place there or for maximum voters mobilization not to take place there

One could almost deduce that there is a ploy to make the North unpleasant security wise in order to strike mortal fears into the mind of the electorates from coming out to vote in 2015

1 Like

Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by Chylo(m): 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2014
In my opinion, he should declare total state of emergency and sack the state governors and replace with military administrators. People don't seem to realise that Nigeria is at full-blown war. Let us crush these guys, then we can come back to be debating politics. BTW, i support APC, but Nigeria comes first.

1 Like

Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by tinkinjow: 10:05pm On Nov 19, 2014
I wish the legislators all live in those places, I would have said withdraw the troops let them enjoy bokos for few days and they will all be begging for it.
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by onoja12: 7:11am On Nov 20, 2014
the difference is that rather than state government controlling the state the federal does,the main thing there is voting.in this case the governor are still there because the federal wants it like that,under a state of emergency any time the federal likes they can say OK governor your elected period end here,practically under a state of emergency the federal government can act outside the constitution

Blakjewelry:

I don't still see the difference since it's not a full state of emergency. For one elections might not hold in those states. Anyone coming out to vote do so at their own risk, state of emergency or no state of emergency curfew will still be imposed. Q
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by Blakjewelry(m): 9:47am On Nov 20, 2014
onoja12:
the difference is that rather than state government controlling the state the federal does,the main thing there is voting.in this case the governor are still there because the federal wants it like that,under a state of emergency any time the federal likes they can say OK governor your elected period end here,practically under a state of emergency the federal government can act outside the constitution

I understand what you are trying to say perfectly but I don't think that apply in this case, I have been in a state were it was declared before. Partial state of emergency is a fluke, the governors still have full control of their States
Re: Again Senate Disagree On Emergency Rule Extention, To Reconvene On Thursday. by onoja12: 10:38am On Nov 20, 2014
ok

Blakjewelry:

I understand what you are trying to say perfectly but I don't think that apply in this case, I have been in a state were it was declared before. Partial state of emergency is a fluke, the governors still have full control of their States

(1) (Reply)

It Obvious, religious/tribal Bigots Are Jonathan Supporters. / Pls Who Remember This News And Picture / Why Some Nigerians Say GEJ Is A Weak President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.