Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

For All Gym Enthusiasts - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / For All Gym Enthusiasts (3233 Views)

Calling All / 11 Types Of Annoying People You Meet At The Gym / Where Can I Find A "good" Gym In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For All Gym Enthusiasts by desperatem(m): 11:03pm On Nov 19, 2014
Hello all gym enthusiasts and aspiring ones, let's share our first day experience at the gym, subsequent experience and work out hints and tips and also nutritional supplements for quick gym result because i know only work out can do it fast, supplementing it for quick result in body mass, strength and size is ideal.

Let me start with my experience, I am a newbie, I started gym last week Monday and I couldn't go to the gym for 3 days. I slept on my right arm after work out and when i woke in the evening (come see muscle grin), my right arm was heavy and my muscle swollen up, if you saw me that day, you'd think I have been weightlifting for the past few years cheesy. I later called a friend around past 11 in the night to drive me to the hospital with my car when the pains was unbearable because i couldnt drive or walk properly. Thanks to the doctor who later gave me 2 injections and some drugs. I resumed the gym on friday and I have been going ever since. I am really enjoying the gym now. Share your experiences dear friends. lets keep the ball rolling wink
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by kelnas(m): 11:27pm On Nov 19, 2014
My first experience at the gym was fun and the same time horrible. It was fun when lifting up weights, you know swinging the weight back and front, engaging in bench-press, doing pull-overs were all amazing. Engaging in all dese programs was pretty fun. It got horrible, terrible and frightening when i was done with all the programs. Taking my bath became difficult as i culdnt scrub my back with a sponge in de bathroom. Also lying down to rest was like climbing oluma rock, it was as if i've been ran over by a 911 trailer, feeling severe pains all over my body for almost two weeks. i was adviced not to take any pain killer that i would regain my self after some more work outs at the gym. men it wasn't funny though. But as the saying goes "No Pain no Gain",so i kept on with my workout until i archived the body i so much desired.

1 Like

Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by PapiWata: 7:23am On Nov 20, 2014
desperatem:
Hello all gym enthusiasts and aspiring ones, let's share our first day experience at the gym, subsequent experience and work out hints and tips and also nutritional supplements for quick gym result because i know only work out can do it fast, supplementing it for quick result in body mass, strength and size is ideal.

Let me start with my experience, I am a newbie, I started gym last week Monday and I couldn't go to the gym for 3 days. I slept on my right arm after work out and when i woke in the evening (come see muscle grin), my right arm was heavy and my muscle swollen up, if you saw me that day, you'd think I have been weightlifting for the past few years cheesy. I later called a friend around past 11 in the night to drive me to the hospital with my car when the pains was unbearable because i couldnt drive or walk properly. Thanks to the doctor who later gave me 2 injections and some drugs. I resumed the gym on friday and I have been going ever since. I am really enjoying the gym now. Share your experiences dear friends. lets keep the ball rolling wink

Sounds like you got a good pump, bro. Keep it up. "No pain No gain" is the weight lifters mantra.

The soreness you feel means tiny microscopic tears in your muscle will heal overnight to form BIGGER muscles. And so it goes, as you bulk up.

Concentrate on the bench press, and you will astound yourself with the strength and weight gains that you see in mere weeks.

1 Like

Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 20, 2014
I also want to start this gym stuff, but m scare of having upper bigger body compare to my lower body.
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by PapiWata: 12:15pm On Nov 20, 2014
WarRLaY:
I also want to start this gym stuff, but m scare of having upper bigger body compare to my lower body.

A common mistake made by beginner body is that they neglect their legs and wind up with the upper body of a gorilla, carried about on the legs of a baby antelope, which is actually quite funny and ridiculous to look at.

To avoid that sort of disproportionate development, work your upper body with bench presses on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and work your legs and back with SQUATS on Tuesday, and Thursday. This ensures that you do NOT work the same muscle group on two consecutive days, which is counter-productive and will slow down your weight gain. This regime will also ensure that your legs and back bulk up in proportion to your arms, shoulders and chest. Look up the correct form for squats on any body building website.

Many body builders shy away from squats because leg development can be slower than upper body gains, and because they are scared to injure their backs while doing squats. Keep your back as vertical as you can position it when doing squats, and the muscles needed to strengthen your spine will develop naturally and quickly, thus minimizing the chances of injury, and, as with ALL weight lifting, START LIGHT, with a weight that you can easily lift for 8 repetitions per each of 3 sets, with a VERY SHORT rest of 30 seconds or less in between each of the 3 sets.

A little known secret about squats is that they give you a full body pump, that actually bulks the entire body up over time. By far the most difficult muscle group to enlarge are your calf muscles, which are minimally increased even with squats. Black men tend to have smaller calf muscles than whites, and it requires ridiculous amounts of work to increase the size of your calves by even small amounts, with the result that most people simply give up and leave them as they are, since they don't look too bad if the thigh (quadrucep) muscles develop in reasonable proportion to the upper body.

3 Likes

Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by desperatem(m): 12:32am On Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for your contributions peepz. At kelnad do you still gym? How long did it take you to archieve the body you desire? @papiwata are you a gym instructor? You are so good at the analysis. Yeah, my gym instructor always say "no pain, no gain" and it keeps us going grin
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by PapiWata: 5:55am On Nov 21, 2014
desperatem:
Thanks for your contributions peepz. At kelnad do you still gym? How long did it take you to archieve the body you desire? @papiwata are you a gym instructor? You are so good at the analysis. Yeah, my gym instructor always say "no pain, no gain" and it keeps us going grin

Hey Desperado I have never been an instructor in weight lifting, but I have relied on weight lifting to stay in shape for my entire life, and during that time I have had the opportunity to figure out what works for me, and for others who engage in this perfect form of exercise, which in my humble opinion, has no equal.
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by desperatem(m): 11:58am On Nov 21, 2014
PapiWata:

Hey Desperado I have never been an instructor in weight lifting, but I have relied on weight lifting to stay in shape for my entire life, and during that time I have had the opportunity to figure out what works for me, and for others who engage in this perfect form of exercise, which in my humble opinion, has no equal.

Wow! How long have you been weightlifting? And do you have any supplements you can recomend for faster result
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2014
Yes, i am here. @papiwata nice analysis but you made one blunder which is that black men have smaller calf muscles compared to the whites, well that is not true. Muscles were built for the black body including the calf muscles. Although i do not do leg raises but my calf muscles are naturally developed.
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by PapiWata: 12:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
desperatem:

Wow! How long have you been weightlifting? And do you have any supplements you can recommend for faster result

Ha ha I ain't no Arnold, if that is what you are wondering. I do stay lean and mean though, and keep my bench press going even when I go through those lazy times we all get as the years go by.

I have never taken any supplements other than vitamin E which gives you greater endurance. Avoid like the plague any steroids or human growth hormone, no matter how quick the results you see other people get from using them. Those chemicals do serious harm in the long run, and many of the really buffed professional wrestlers who used them to get big while in their 20's, ultimately died of various medical conditions by the time they hit their forties.

Just pump that iron, eat well, drink lots of water, and get enough sleep at night, for that is when you reap the weight gains from the day's workout.

This is my ultra-modern Aba-made iron works. Everything here is sourced from the junkyard at relatively low cost. The bench barbells are fashioned from car wheels filled with concrete, and this setup weighs about 200 pounds. The dumbells are made from cylindrical iron chunks, cut in two, drilled and connected with inch-diameter rods. The bigger pair weigh maybe 50 pounds each, and the smaller ones weigh about 30 pounds apiece. I use those for butterfly presses laying on the bench, which define the chest, to augment the bulking effect of the bench press.

The weight stand is made with steel-rod-reinforced concrete, but this same concept can be replicated with metal by a competent welder. Mine is rooted to the floor of the room. You can make lighter versions of these to start, and then upgrade as you gain strength. The light barbell on the floor is made with pairs of car engine flywheels, and I use this for upright rowing and bicep curls.

Having your own weight room is a good idea in the long run, since you can progress at your own pace without being intimidated by the incredible hulks at the gym, AND, more importantly, your home weight room costs nothing once constructed, and lasts for an entire lifetime.

Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by desperatem(m): 1:49pm On Nov 21, 2014
PapiWata:

Ha ha I ain't no Arnold, if that is what you are wondering. I do stay lean and mean though, and keep my bench press going even when I go through those lazy times we all get as the years go by.

I have never taken any supplements other than vitamin E which gives you greater endurance. Avoid like the plague any steroids or human growth hormone, no matter how quick the results you see other people get from using them. Those chemicals do serious harm in the long run, and many of the really buffed professional wrestlers who used them to get big while in their 20's, ultimately died of various medical conditions by the time they hit their forties.

Just pump that iron, eat well, drink lots of water, and get enough sleep at night, for that is when you reap the weight gains from the day's workout.

This is my ultra-modern Aba-made iron works. Everything here is sourced from the junkyard at relatively low cost. The bench barbells are fashioned from car wheels filled with concrete, and this setup weighs about 200 pounds. The dumbells are made from cylindrical iron chunks, cut in two, drilled and connected with inch-diameter rods. The bigger pair weigh maybe 50 pounds each, and the smaller ones weigh about 30 pounds apiece. I use those for butterfly presses laying on the bench, which define the chest, to augment the bulking effect of the bench press.

The weight stand is made with steel-rod-reinforced concrete, but this same concept can be replicated with metal by a competent welder. Mine is rooted to the floor of the room. You can make lighter versions of these to start, and then upgrade as you gain strength. The light barbell on the floor is made with pairs of car engine flywheels, and I use this for upright rowing and bicep curls.

Having your own weight room is a good idea in the long run, since you can progress at your own pace without being intimidated by the incredible hulks at the gym, AND, more importantly, your home weight room costs nothing once constructed, and lasts for an entire lifetime.

Lol, thats cool. But i registered in a gym. I find that inspiring and motivational. If i have a gym in my apartment. I wont touch if for days unless i have friends coming over to gym with me. I like the gingers other gives me when we are in the gym. Seeing them will make me push on

1 Like

Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by PapiWata: 1:55pm On Nov 21, 2014
You right about that. I do get lazy for moths on end sometimes.

An advantage to attending a formal gym is that the best looking women go there and dress skimpy, which is enough to motivate for sure.
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by omicron(m): 2:59pm On Nov 21, 2014
PapiWata:

An advantage to attending a formal gym is that the best looking women go there and dress skimpy, which is enough to motivate for sure.
Naughty u, but very true cheesy
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by Nobody: 3:07am On Nov 22, 2014
desperatem:

Lol, thats cool. But i registered in a gym. I find that inspiring and motivational. If i have a gym in my apartment. I wont touch if for days unless i have friends coming over to gym with me. I like the gingers other gives me when we are in the gym. Seeing them will make me push on
can you pls upload ur pix
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by Nobody: 8:14am On Jan 09, 2016
desperatem:

Hey man, just stumbled on the thread. Pls can I have an idea of how much yu registered at the gym?. I'm a gym aspirant buh I'm trying to consider some things which includes the cost before registering. My contacts is 09050999997(watsapp and text). Thankz bro
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by Ojiako93(m): 11:50am On Nov 22, 2018
PapiWata:

That's so freaking right. That's probably the only reason why people leave their homes to go to gyms. Come to think of it, there are home gym equipment that will get the job done just as the gym equipment will.
Take a look at this. It's freaking cheap to exercise at home..

https://fitnesszin.com/budget-home-gym-equipment/
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by gymsupplier1: 7:25am On Apr 30, 2022
There are a extensive variety of styles of rec centers and relying upon the final results we are trying to find there may be the form of activities that we would need to rehearse. Exercises and gym equipment supplier assignments can be supplemented with machines, notably extra so these days, in which there may be an exceptionally wealthy and step by step imaginative industry in the rec middle and sports movement.
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by sealsheatpump: 12:20pm On May 03, 2022
Cleaning the inside lodging, loop and blower ought to be done to some extent yearly similarly as cleaning ones heater. mini split cleaningThis are regions where as a property holder you probably shouldn't access because of guarantee issues and along these lines need our expert help.
Re: For All Gym Enthusiasts by nutraonorganics: 6:59am On May 04, 2022
Chicory is a Mediterranean plant this is cultivated for its culinary use in arrangements like salads and numerous different medicinal packages. A incredible supply of vitamins and minerals, gut health supplement along with zinc, magnesium, manganese, calcium, iron-folic acid, and potassium, in addition to vitamin A, B6, C, E, and K, it's been used for masses of years as an herbal treatment for many diseases. It is likewise used as a “tonic,” to increase urine production and to defend the liver.

(1) (Reply)

Help Save Mercy!!! She Needs A Kidney Transplant / Pls Advice!!! School Of Health Tech Or School Of Nursing?which Is Better / Shape Up & Look Good - Waist Trainers At Affordable Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.