Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? (4351 Views)

Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best / What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by capsogiga(m): 6:48pm On Nov 23, 2014
I have a 2004 lexus RX 330(4WD) with loud GRINDING noise from the back of the car. The noise is very loud when the car is in reverse even on a smooth road. It is also very loud on rough bumpy road. it seems to disappear when I am speeding on smooth road.

The noise sounds like metals rubbing against each other. I have changed the two rear shock absorbers but the problem persists.

Can someone with similar problem which has been resolved help me out ?

Thanks
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by mayor2013: 7:38pm On Nov 23, 2014
An audio for this type of noise would just help
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:52pm On Nov 23, 2014
Lomomike come see your cousin. grin

2 Likes

Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by AutosBay(m): 9:07pm On Nov 23, 2014
You can see the brake disc on the front wheels, Check both sides of each side, looking for scoring. Brake pads have wear insicators on them that are metal tabs that contact the rotor (disc) when pads get thin. It would be better to pull the wheels off to get a good look at the pads. Good luck
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by chukel(m): 9:50pm On Nov 23, 2014
I think ur rear uses disc on drum type of brake. Ur brake may be stuck. Check ur brake pads, calipers-piston and sliding pin. They may need changing and lubrication. Also check ur brake shoe in the drum for wear or overadjustment.
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:16pm On Nov 23, 2014
capsogiga:
I have a 2004 lexus RX 330(4WD) with loud GRINDING noise from the back of the car. The noise is very loud when the car is in reverse even on a smooth road. It is also very loud on rough bumpy road. it seems to disappear when I am speeding on smooth road.

The noise sounds like metals rubbing against each other. I have changed the two rear shock absorbers but the problem persists.

Thanks

thats sounds like suspension bushes

let someone check all the bushes including drop links
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 23, 2014
check these in the following order.
1: your rear brake disc,
2: your LSD bars
3: rear stabilizer bars
4: rear bushings
5: rear shaft
6: rear bearings
7: rear differential

me thinks its your rear diff tho... just pray its not your diff or AIRS (air suspension if yours has it) thats wearing out o! :x

err buy the following things needed for this serious sacrifice:
1: genuine grease (not pomade mixed with dirty engine oil o)
2: genuine toyota atf type t-iv fluid.
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by defhenry(m): 10:33pm On Nov 23, 2014
Is the noise like woroworoworo..... grin
capsogiga:

Thanks
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
Lomomike come see your cousin. grin

it reminds me of a song by fela anikulapo kuti (i think) 'wahala you dey find' tongue grin
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by capsogiga(m): 4:35pm On Nov 25, 2014
defhenry:
Is the noise like woroworoworo..... grin

no sir. it is like gringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin................ grin grin grin

[quote author=lomomike post=28291055]check these in the following order.
1: your rear brake disc,
2: your LSD bars
3: rear stabilizer bars
4: rear bushings
5: rear shaft
6: rear bearings
7: rear differential
me thinks its your rear diff tho... just pray its not your diff or AIRS (air suspension if yours has it) thats wearing out o! :x
err buy the following things needed for this serious sacrifice:
1: genuine grease (not pomade mixed with dirty engine oil o)
2: genuine toyota atf type t-iv fluid.[/

Thanks and God bless. I have told my mechanic to check all of the above. He does not know what LSD bar is. Please what is LSD bar ??

thanks
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 25, 2014
sway bar. tell him sway bar.
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by capsogiga(m): 8:56pm On Nov 25, 2014
lomomike:
sway bar. tell him sway bar.

Ok sir. Will revert soon. Thanks
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by capsogiga(m): 10:16am On Nov 26, 2014
Problem solved. Thanks all.The grinding noise has stopped. Mechanic said something was loose at the back tyre on the right near the wheel.

sorry I am not a petrolhead and mechanic himself does not know what it is called.(Mechanic has a degree in mechanical Engineering).

But I noticed the VSC light and CHECK light switched on just before I started hearing the grinding noise. Both still on as Mechanic could not clear with his scanning machine.

What do these mean and what do i need to fix in the car to clear them.

Thanks all and god bless
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by mayor2013: 2:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by capsogiga(m): 3:29pm On Nov 26, 2014
I have scanned the car.

scan results:

1. Ignition coil
2. catalyst system efficiently below threshold bank 1
3. oxygen sensor bank 2
4. oxygen sensor circuit

Please what do these mean?

Thanks
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 26, 2014
capsogiga:
I have scanned the car.

scan results:

1. Ignition coil
2. catalyst system efficiently below threshold bank 1
3. oxygen sensor bank 2
4. oxygen sensor circuit

Please what do these mean?

Thanks

the book of Gazzuzz chapter 5 said 'buy new engine' grin

buy the said igntion coil, oxygen sensors and replace them. they are bad. when you've done this clear codes and drive for a while.
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:08pm On Nov 26, 2014
lomomike:

the book of Gazzuzz chapter 5 said 'buy new engine' grin

buy the said igntion coil, oxygen sensors and replace them. they are bad. when you've done this clear codes and drive for a while.

Mike ur reading my bible upside down grin
Re: What Causes Grinding Noise From Rear Of 2004 Lexus RX 330 ??? by defhenry(m): 7:35pm On Nov 26, 2014
[na lie grin, it's usually buy new engine or transmission grin ;Dauthor grin grin=GAZZUZZ post=28369985]

Mike ur reading my bible upside down grin[/quote]

(1) (Reply)

Which 15yrs Or Older Car Do You still Fancy And would Like To Own? / Help! My Honda 1998 Keeps Revving Up Amd Down When Running Idle / What "full Option" Means To Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.