Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% (41698 Views)

CBN Reduces Lending Rate To 11 Percent / Cash Shortage Hits Banks, Overnight Lending Rate Jumps / CBN Officially Devalues Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by atlwireles: 10:03pm On Nov 25, 2014
Ijebulogic:
SLS must be laughing so hard as the Vagabonds in Power continue to R4pe our country. Dollar didnt move this much in Sanusi's 5 years as CBN Governor. Ogbeni Emefiele....check yourself!!!

Laughing at what? The same SLS who spent $117B in 4.5 years defending the Naira? The joke is on him.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by anonimi: 10:20pm On Nov 25, 2014
Ijebulogic:
SLS must be laughing so hard as the Vagabonds in Power continue to R4pe our country. Dollar didnt move this much in Sanusi's 5 years as CBN Governor. Ogbeni Emefiele....check yourself!!!

I thought Ijebu people are really very smart when it comes to money matters and by extension, economics. You sure sey you deserve this your ijebulogic moniker?

Was there a drastic drop in oil price throughout Sanusi's tenure as we are having currently

Perhaps na you suppose check that your ofege logic!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by warrior01: 10:34pm On Nov 25, 2014
anonimi:

I thought Ijebu people are really very smart when it comes to money matters and by extension, economics. You sure sey you deserve this your ijebulogic moniker?

Was there a drastic drop in oil price throughout Sanusi's tenure as we are having currently

Bro, you really have time educating these ignorant critics. Pls, let them continue wallowing in their ignorance. Never knew Nigeria was an Eldorado till Gej came. Bunch of lazy hypocrites

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Volksfuhrer(m): 10:59pm On Nov 25, 2014
BlackTechnology:

O boy Wise up

CBN is trying its best to prevent depletion of our foreign reserve since no one is certain if oil price will rise again.

What the cbn is trying to do is obvious. It is still a bandaid all the same if you don't drastically cut government spending 70 percent of which is recurrent expenditure. Or are we saying there's no political will to do this.

Devaluation is an easy choice but it has its costs and limits.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by hayokunleoni(m): 11:19pm On Nov 25, 2014
5 pages on a very misleading topic and wrong interpretation. Naija youth, I hail thee.
What the CBN announced is not a devaluation of the LCY. The official Naira is not allowed to swing in line with the forces of demand and Supply. This is because, the CBN has pegged the official rate at N155 per USD since 2012 with + -3% band. If u want to know the actual value of the Naira, check the BDC and Parallel market value. The CBN simply moved up the peg rate for official rate so that they can effectively defend the Naira from attack in view of the sliding oil price and high demand of FCY from local users. Please be guided

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 11:47pm On Nov 25, 2014
where are we going for this country? GEJ!!!! If i talk now...Tanoids will start dere "Roads and Infrastructure" noise cry cry

Pics: Court of Appeal judge, Justice Amina Augie's daughter weds
http:///n6Kpe
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Ijebulogic(m): 12:58am On Nov 26, 2014
anonimi:

Yawn...I wont argue with you. ...Google it for some enlightenment...Oil prices were lower than this in 2009 when SLS was Governor. How can you justify a 9% drop in currency value overnight? Anyway make I siddon look

5 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by knowledgeable: 1:10am On Nov 26, 2014
barcanista:
We need a change in government. Our Fiscal Policy has been counter-productive due to high rate of corruption plus high cost of running government. Nigerians save your future, kickout the incumbent with your votes..plssssss

No, you need a complete political restructuring of the country, if we are going to survive as possible. Let me educate you a little bit. The convergence of of manners of forces against have just entered a level two phase. ...........Nigeria is doomed.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by chukel(m): 1:55am On Nov 26, 2014
Obiagelli:

I like the word might, i like how you ignored china.

Btw why can't Enugu mine its own coal, why can't zamfara sell its mineral resources. Ask your pdp lead FG
obiagelli, I'm really extremely disappointed in you. Y can't u ignore these tanoids. U really destroyed the trend of the thread ever since u joined. Control yourself.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by BlackTechnology: 4:52am On Nov 26, 2014
Volksfuhrer:

What the cbn is trying to do is obvious. It is still a bandaid all the same if you don't drastically cut government spending 70 percent of which is recurrent expenditure. Or are we saying there's no political will to do this.

Devaluation is an easy choice but it has its costs and limits.

Do you know that cheap imported products destroy local industries and high cost of imported products encourage local industries.

This is a blessing for local industries but disaster for importers.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by BlackTechnology: 5:04am On Nov 26, 2014
atlwireles:

Laughing at what? The same SLS who spent $117B in 4.5 years defending the Naira? The joke is on him.

20% of $117B is approximately $22B. Ijebulogic failed to realise that $22B is sufficient to finance the establishment of international electronic electrical and mechanical industries in Nigeria whose products constitute the largest imported products into Nigeria and exert the greatest pressure on our foreign reserve

If Nigeria partners with foreign industries and starts producing electronic electrical and mechanical products, the demand for dollars in order to import will reduce.

Sanusi was a disaster to our economy. SLS was shortsighted and blinded by politics

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Billygee2u: 6:01am On Nov 26, 2014
espn:
yes it must..d party in govt must b called! Jonathan will destroy dis country!
so your country was good before ?

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 26, 2014
chukel:
obiagelli, I'm really extremely disappointed in you. Y can't u ignore these tanoids. U really destroyed the trend of the thread ever since u joined. Control yourself.
I am sorry Sir

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by signz: 7:39am On Nov 26, 2014
hayokunleoni:
5 pages on a very misleading topic and wrong interpretation. Naija youth, I hail thee.
What the CBN announced is not a devaluation of the LCY. The official Naira is not allowed to swing in line with the forces of demand and Supply. This is because, the CBN has pegged the official rate at N155 per USD since 2012 with + -3% band. If u want to know the actual value of the Naira, check the BDC and Parallel market value. The CBN simply moved up the peg rate for official rate so that they can effectively defend the Naira from attack in view of the sliding oil price and high demand of FCY from local users. Please be guided

Oga sorry but I don't understand what you just posted. Kindly explain in layman's terms.

Thanks
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by espn(m): 7:58am On Nov 26, 2014
Billygee2u:

so your country was good before ?
yea idiot..it was far better dan wat we v nw! Don't u know d difference btw good, better and best?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by TDstarr: 8:39am On Nov 26, 2014
they want to make more money from oil at the expense of the poor masses, one day i will bomb the whole country let everybody rest
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by coolvitus(m): 8:40am On Nov 26, 2014
Chai
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by igoro10: 8:43am On Nov 26, 2014
emmyspark007:
Chai...Warris dis..5naira no fit even buy cold sachet water
Cold water na 10naira everywhere now
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 26, 2014
Welcome to Dutch Diseased Nigeria.

Yesterday....we found out that most of our states are nothing but oil dependent duchies.

Now...the naira goes down.

It is beginning to look like 1989 all over again.....

The problem with Nigerians is that the followers prefer their share the cake economy. They don't want an industrial economy.

Well, my advice to Nigeria is....stop acting like we are rich men's wives....and start acting like we are poor people who need to work and work to boost our economy via industrial development.

Oil is a curse.

P.S: Managing the dutch disease in Nigeria.....should be required reading for our economic policy planners...and every Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Firefire(m): 8:48am On Nov 26, 2014
RockMaxi:

You don't need rocket science to know that the party mentioned has no plan for this country beyond enriching their cronies and personal pocket. :-

PDP have been in government for 15years now, oil prices have always been on the increase until now.

There is no political party that can save our economy from this crisis. APC is not even going to do it because indirectly they all contributed to this bogus and unrealistic recurrent expenditures that have been crippling this economy.
grin

We only pay lip service to economy diversification and poor enough we have almost nothing to attract appreciable volume of dollars that can keep us afloat.
We need the divine intervention of God. embarassed

well said.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 26, 2014
knowledgeable:

No, you need a complete political restructuring of the country, if we are going to survive as possible. Let me educate you a little bit. The convergence of of manners of forces against have just entered a level two phase. ...........Nigeria is doomed.

No....we do not need restructuring now (although it is not a bad idea, really).

We need to develop an industrial economy.....and get off oil completely.

We need to invest more in power supply and transport infrastructue....with railways as key.

We need to spend heavily on technical education....and build up a corps of million s of technicians.....not paper graduates.

We need to improve domestic manufacturing....and get Ajaokuta running again

And we need to end corruption.

Restructuring now would just involve changing the paint on the car....without fixing the engine and the innards.

We have to live like we have no resources.....and become like China, Japan and South Korea. and Germany!

5 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Vince77(m): 8:53am On Nov 26, 2014
The problem of dis country just too much.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Vince77(m): 8:54am On Nov 26, 2014
bushdoc9919:

No....we do not need restructuring now (although it is not a bad idea, really).

We need to develop an industrial economy.....and get off oil completely.

We need to invest more in power supply and transport infrastructue....with railways as key.

We need to spend heavily on technical education....and build up a corps of million s of technicians.....not paper graduates.

We need to improve domestic manufacturing....and get Ajaokuta running again

And we need to end corruption.

Restructuring now would just involve changing the paint on the car....without fixing the engine and the innards.

We have to live like we have no resources.....and become like China, Japan and South Korea. and Germany!
Well said.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by desy24444(m): 8:55am On Nov 26, 2014
If day lik day should devalue it 2 #1000,we go still live dis country in due tym
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by simpleseyi: 8:57am On Nov 26, 2014
Up Jonathan! Up PDP!! Up Nigeria!!!

Jonathan's destiny is to bankrupt Nigeria - Tunde Bakare

Since oil price is decreasing at the global market, we all should expect the pump price of petroleum products to decrease at the local market.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by nairaman66(m): 9:00am On Nov 26, 2014
Kx:
From being the biggest economy in Africa by GDP figures to devaluing the nation's economy in a space of a couple of months

The exchange rate and interest rate just got transformed. under the transformation agenda!
So much for Fresh air!

This is what you get when the FG is still practicing an old form of government- Lutocracy!

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:01am On Nov 26, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Do you know that cheap imported products destroy local industries and high cost of imported products encourage local industries.

This is a blessing for local industries but disaster for importers.

Yeah, blessing for local industries whose major raw materials are not sourced abroad.

Local manufacturers also import raw materials and equipment which would increase local costs of production. When you throw the higher cost of generator diesel into the mix I can't bet on the proposition that locally produced goods will be cheaper than its foreign counterpart.

This cycle is obvious to local manufacturers because they've been living it since The Structural Adjustment Programme in the late 1980's. Its like a cat chasing its tail.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by undiukeye(m): 9:02am On Nov 26, 2014
citizenisb:
On the black market you will need 182 Naira today to buy Dollar.

http://313bdc.com/
to sell nko
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 26, 2014
Obiagelli:

We seriously need to overhaul the police, there is absolutely no way we can get anywhere with the present crop of officers we have, let state government recruit new officers, it could be done systematically.

Btw i will like to know if police Commissioners are appointed or elected in the US. I have heard stories of non officers becoming commissioner.
what's the relation of how it happened on US affects how it happens in Nigeria. You guys are just clueless.

And to think those touts called house of reps members who displayed their childish and irresponsible attitude shows they are only their for themselves.

We are all concerned about voting GEJ out, but you fail to tell yourselves the truth that he would still be there till 2019. No matter how pathetic you make your case for Buhari, he can't even win in Kastina. It's three months to the polls.

Why not look for better opinions as regards the current economic issues rather than trade unnecessary words about GEJ.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 26, 2014
please what is the meaning of CBN I school in Iraq
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Gistdutch: 9:05am On Nov 26, 2014
Brace up this is just tip of an icebag.One thing is certain but ANTI and PRO will chop from the same market.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands / Dangote Moves To Purchase 10,000 Trucks From Indonesia / Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.