Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,916 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% (41695 Views)

CBN Reduces Lending Rate To 11 Percent / Cash Shortage Hits Banks, Overnight Lending Rate Jumps / CBN Officially Devalues Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 26, 2014
Transformation Ambassadors of
Nigeria should quickly add this to
the list of the great achievements of
president Jonathan. Under GEJ, the
country is really making progress. There is peace everywhere. Poverty
has been reduced by 50%. We now
generate 4000 megawatts of
electricity(Iran with half of our
population generates 56,000
megawatts). Now one Naira is equal to One US Dollar! Up GEJ. GEJ
forever. With these achievements,
you are truly the best president that
Nigeria has ever produced. You are
indeed better than obama and
martin luther kings put togeter. you must rule us beyond 2019. You will
be our life President.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Jabioro: 9:08am On Nov 26, 2014
Okoko bi oko! The CBN govr want to strenghten naira by devalue it. What a country?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by geswith: 9:08am On Nov 26, 2014
Boss13:

I did not type Oil. I typed Oil dependency - please read again. We solely depended on Oil, whether the revenues derived from it were stolen or not, we would have still been affected by this. OPEC is holding a meeting on thursday to determine production cut in order to stem declining oil prices. They intend to fight the US Shale Oil.
they will always look for something to shov down our throats,afterall they dont feel our pain.their has always been ups and downs in crude oil prices,what we have in this country are rulers and not leaders.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by shilexholly(m): 9:08am On Nov 26, 2014
Jona u are finished with dis 1 u av done.......2015 u are a gonner

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 26, 2014
hayokunleoni:
5 pages on a very misleading topic and wrong interpretation. Naija youth, I hail thee.
What the CBN announced is not a devaluation of the LCY. The official Naira is not allowed to swing in line with the forces of demand and Supply. This is because, the CBN has pegged the official rate at N155 per USD since 2012 with + -3% band. If u want to know the actual value of the Naira, check the BDC and Parallel market value. The CBN simply moved up the peg rate for official rate so that they can effectively defend the Naira from attack in view of the sliding oil price and high demand of FCY from local users. Please be guided
Spot on bro. I just laugh when I read this APC paid agents who come here to spew trash and expose their crass ignorance.

They are not concerned about what happens in Nigeria. They are only concerned about Buhari and his cohorts. They want a parallel government. I laugh at them as they don't know what would befall them after Feb 14.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 26, 2014
anonimi:

I really pity this your Akigbemaru (He who screams to slim down) job oh shocked

Perhaps you are not aware of the Russian Central Bank's response for even an economy that has some industrial base unlike ours.

Thankfully the economic foresight of the dynamic duo of Jonathan/Sambo team that has led to growth in our agricultural and automobile sectors etc will make the impact less than it would otherwise have been when the clueless federal governments that we had previously did NOTHING concrete to sustain, talk less of expand, our industrial base.

BTW, may I advise you to find a better way of earning your livelihood!
hey , RUSSIA has been dependent on oil lately because of the sanctions put upon them by america and eu not as the case in Nigeria . perhaps this is a reason oil prices went down.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Ibekau: 9:12am On Nov 26, 2014
Abeg wen last was dollar sold 4 #155, pple should get serious in dis country n stop deceiving themselves. sad
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by MadCow1: 9:13am On Nov 26, 2014
RockMaxi:

You don't need rocket science to know that the party mentioned has no plan for this country beyond enriching their cronies and personal pocket. embarassed PDP have been in government for 15years now, oil prices have always been on the increase until now.

There is no political party that can save our economy from this crisis. APC is not even going to do it because indirectly they all contributed to this bogus and unrealistic recurrent expenditures that have been crippling this economy.

We only pay lip service to economy diversification and poor enough we have almost nothing to attract appreciable volume of dollars that can keep us afloat.
We need the divine intervention of God. embarassed

And here is why we can not make progress. grin

A Political Party does not rule a Nation.. PEOPLE rule a Nation. angry

APC = PDP. Almost 75% of APC members are ex-PDP politicians.

Focus on dealing with issues devoid of Politics, if not we would continue to run around like headless chickens.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 26, 2014
Obiagelli:

You just confirmed what i said about, what happened to your pdp using its majority in the house over the last 15yrs for a change.

Where is your jamboree confab today? Abeg i wan go sleep
Madam, you need to rest. You're simply not making sense at all.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Dee60: 9:18am On Nov 26, 2014
When Oby Ezekwesili raised the alarm about depleting reserves, some government apologists rained abuses on her. If the truth must be told, this government came to meet very good oil prices and very rich reserves and savings from previous government. Rather than improve on it, the savings were ravaged by people who saw the laxity in the system as their opportunity to scavenge on our commonwealth. They managed to convince the boss that 'stealing is not corruption'.

Now with just a slight drop in oil prices, the government has rushed to the clueless solution - devaluing the currency.

Why did the Naira not appreciate at those times when oil prices shot through the roof? As Obi Ezekwesili asked, what has happened to the USD20 billion kept in Savings by OBJ administration?

In case Nigerians, do not know the implication of this new drive, please brace up, petrol prices are ready to go up again!

Well, I know that help will come from above. Those who think that politics is to perpetuate evil against the people should remember that there is God.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Malocity(m): 9:19am On Nov 26, 2014
We must survive. If them like make e devalue to 200 naira.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by nijanigga: 9:20am On Nov 26, 2014
gej is working, Gej till nija oil become useless.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by DWJOBScom(m): 9:22am On Nov 26, 2014
RockMaxi:

You don't need rocket science to know that the party mentioned has no plan for this country beyond enriching their cronies and personal pocket. embarassed PDP have been in government for 15years now, oil prices have always been on the increase until now.

There is no political party that can save our economy from this crisis. APC is not even going to do it because indirectly they all contributed to this bogus and unrealistic recurrent expenditures that have been crippling this economy.

We only pay lip service to economy diversification and poor enough we have almost nothing to attract appreciable volume of dollars that can keep us afloat.

Finally someone said something known as "brilliant" and identified as "intelligent"

Cool write up

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Walexz02(m): 9:27am On Nov 26, 2014
RockMaxi:

Please what do you mean by divine intervention of God
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by ooshinibos: 9:27am On Nov 26, 2014
am some people are still saying GEJ TILL 2022
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by INFO70: 9:29am On Nov 26, 2014
Keneking:
Jonathan has finished us ...he must just go next year grin
Boy! He is going nowhere.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by lastpage: 9:30am On Nov 26, 2014
chemali:

The naira never appreciates in time of high oil prices but very quick to depreciate when the oil price falls. Apart from the mono economy which is a problem, the increased earnings is being looted and not reinvested in our future. This for me is sufficient reason to kick pdp out from the centre. When oil prices recover or exceeds previous highs, it is certain that 168 will become the new normal in readiness for the next price crash.

Let us even leave PDP or APC out of this discussion so that it does not get hijacked by those scumbags who see only "Ethnicity, Party-Affiliation or religion" in any and every discussion.

I can tell you that "price of PETROL at the Pump" (fuel stations) has decreased by close to 30% in the USA, Canada and all European Countries including the the U.K, ..... over the last three months or so.
The reason for these is that "Price of Oil is falling worldwide". That, no one needs to argue and even the Nigerian Govt agree on that.

But funnily or ironically, the Price of Petrol at the Pump" in Nigeria has remained the same (at a minimum of #97) over the same period!
As a matter of fact, Govt is saying it wants to INCREASE THE PRICE, using its time-tested "Scam tactics" of removing "Subsidy" that was never their ab initio!

If prices has reduced considerably, l think a caring Govt will either uses this reduction to:

1.) Offset the "Subsidy" by maintaining price at the current rate (assuming there was actually a Subsidy, .......and not the current scam of round-tripping over the high seas, they call "importation of finished products) .....instead of again threatening to raise fule price through their never ending "removal of subsidy!

...or

2.) Reduce the Price of Fuel "at the pump" as is done in all the other countries of the world, so that public citizens can ta least get the "short-term" benefits of this dramatic decrease in price.

But Hell No! Nigerian Govt is run by Cabals whose only interest is EXPLOITATION of its Citizens. All they want is more and more money otherwise, why devalue the average man's "fixed income" while not letting him enjoy the benefit associated with the decrease in price of products he buys with such income?

If truly the Nigerian Govt follows its mantra of "Free Market nay Privatisation", then it should have allowed the Pump price of Fuel to reflect the "true market forces" that is at play right now but as we see, the Govt and the Marketers (of course, its the same people who stole our Oil blocks, looted our treasury to set-up the Oil Marketing Companies and who also runs the Govt!) are conniving together to form a kind of Monopolistic Cartel for "PRICE FIXING"!

This is the problem Nigerians face.... and they are on a "long thing" if they cant "see it and do something serious" about it.

Lastpage

4 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 26, 2014
RockMaxi:

Why dont you just keep quiet if you know nothing about Quantitative Easing as a way of boosting Economy. Why not just keep quiet so we can think clearly. Quantitave Easing is not the same thing as Inflation, and we can see what devaluation has done by way of transformation of the Chinese Economy. Some of you have not earned up to 1 million in your life but you want to criticize what learned Economists with over 20years of experience are doing.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 26, 2014
Confirmed!!!!! By December 10, dollar will be ₦200
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by lastpage: 9:38am On Nov 26, 2014
Walexz02:

Please what do you mean by divine intervention of God

He means "A Miracle"! grin grin

Its the kind of thing you "hope" for... in a very "hopeless" situation, like that which we find ourslves in, at the hands of our wicked leaders!

I tell you, it will take a "Miracle" for Nigerians to stand Up for their right.

Do you figure now? wink undecided

Lastpage!
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 26, 2014
Cluelessness/corruption is d deadliest disease ever, 2015 is d cure!

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Amhappy(f): 9:43am On Nov 26, 2014
Most politicians are rich with large foreign reserves so this is not about any political party. PDP and APC are the same people with the same ideologies. They only change camps when things are no longer favouring them personally. Anybody can change Nigeria if only Nigerians wake up from their slumber to demand and dictate how things are to be done in their country. Imagine Governor aspirants already moving in town with siren,mobile police men and taking one way even on express way. How will they make good leaders? Nigerians now call white 'black' and vice versa,making excuses ans supporting wrong-doing. Our politicians incite the masses against good people who are not doing their will and the masses will descend on them while the evil men goes free.What CBN did is just to officially accept what is on ground and who uses CBN rate anyway. The price of the naira to dollar is now about 180.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by sucrev: 9:43am On Nov 26, 2014
chemali:

Do you think the pains we are going to experience is separate from the Jonathan/PDP supervised looting that has ravaged Nigeria?
which year did Nigeria started exporting oil and which year did jonathan entered as the president..maybe u dnt ve a relative in d federal level 2 debrief u on dis administration dat y u ll sit @ home & type anything u like
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 26, 2014
Who will save Nigeria??!
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 26, 2014
evegran:
Who will save Nigeria??!
I will
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 26, 2014
slimmy05:
what's the relation of how it happened on US affects how it happens in Nigeria. You guys are just clueless.

And to think those touts called house of reps members who displayed their childish and irresponsible attitude shows they are only their for themselves.

We are all concerned about voting GEJ out, but you fail to tell yourselves the truth that he would still be there till 2019. No matter how pathetic you make your case for Buhari, he can't even win in Kastina. It's three months to the polls.

Why not look for better opinions as regards the current economic issues rather than trade unnecessary words about GEJ.
Come wetin obiageli do you? I believe i am entitled to my opinion, the democracy you are practicing, did you not copy from the US?

Rascal Rep locked out by rascal president. Abeg
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 26, 2014
Unibenstudent:
I will

Erm....

Okay- that was a serious question, I wasn't kidding!
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by shomutuski(m): 9:47am On Nov 26, 2014
Kx:
From being the biggest economy in Africa by GDP figures to devaluing the nation's economy in a space of a couple of months

The exchange rate and interest rate just got transformed. under the transformation agenda!
So much for Fresh air!

Bro!!! You are Gifted.... In the act of reasoning. You cut through the topic like a knife to butter. I'm glad you see the issue on ground through your inner eyes. In times like this, people are busy doing enu oshe instead of tackling the matter. Since the oil boom nigeria ought to have saved a fortune, I guess the #lootocratic government of #PDP won't allow that. We the innocent citizen of nigeria will have to bear the brunt of this economy. Mono economy is a disease, its actually a blessing in disguise @ least nigeria can now focus on other sector e.g agriculture, tourism and the likes.... Up funaab, Up genetic breeders.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 26, 2014
evegran:

Erm....

Okay- that was a serious question, I wasn't kidding!
for reals I am,
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by tunezvic(m): 9:48am On Nov 26, 2014
168 naira my foot, dollars to naira is now : 177 to 1 dollars..very soon dollar go turn 200 to dollars.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by lastpage: 9:51am On Nov 26, 2014
Billyonaire:

Why dont you just keep quiet if you know nothing about Quantitative Easing as a way of boosting Economy. Why not just keep quiet so we can think clearly. Quantitave Easing is not the same thing as Inflation, and we can see what devaluation has done by way of transformation of the Chinese Economy. Some of you have not earned up to 1 million in your life but you want to criticize what learned Economists with over 20years of experience are doing.

Billionaire!
I find it quite amusing that you would compare the "very diverse" Chinese Economy (an Economy that produces virtually everything and thus earn enormous amount of foreign currency so much so that it is always having excess Dollars and needs to devalue its Yuan, to keep the price of its products low, and thus competitive in the "international export" market, hence why Nigeria is flooded with Chinese-made imported goods) ....

...with a "mono-Economy" like Nigeria which Produces NOTHING and imports EVERYTHING.... thereby depleting its foreign currency reserve from its only mono-export product (OIL)?

Chinese "Quantitative Easing" is sensible given the facts of their economy but with respect to Nigeria, it shows "cluelessness of how to move the economy forward".

What we should have done (what the guy is pointing out) is to have been re-investing our Oil proceeds in a Diversified economy that embraces "manufacturing and production of TANGIBLE PRODUCTS" ...so as to export tangible products that earn foreign exchange .... and this would have cushioned our economy viz our currency (naira) if and when the price of Oil falls.... which always happens every now and then anyway.

Even if anyone has been an Economist for over twenty years and he does not have the "primary interest" of their country and people at heart, they can churn-out very warped and self-centered policies which serve only the interest of their oppresive cabals.... it does not make them less an Economist,... just a wicked Economist! undecided

Please get "real" or shut-da-phuck-up because you are the one who is "half-baked" when it comes to fiscal and monetary policies (Maybe you are not and you are just trumpeting the "Political Song" you have been asked to sing by your paymasters...just maybe because l dont think anyone, not even you, can be this dumb!)

Lastpage!

BTW: I am not into all these PDP Vs. APC nonsense and wont engage anyone on that "gutter level" please.

6 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by odudueffiom(m): 9:51am On Nov 26, 2014
D only solution to dis mess is investing in agriculture...if we return groundnut to it pyramid n cotton etc...wel al b smiling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands / Dangote Moves To Purchase 10,000 Trucks From Indonesia / Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.