Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread (3795 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 11:45pm On Nov 25, 2014
Following
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 11:54pm On Nov 25, 2014
signing in.... officially.

actually here to gain from the vast knowledge of 'em bosses on here but i'll be sure to help where i can.

i'm science-oriented. most of the little i know is science-inclined. i'm really looking forward to learning more in that aspect.

thanks to the organisers and the volunteers. this is what we need around here.

cc: microflux
mizmycoli
pickabeu1

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 26, 2014
xcapizt:

Goof is doing community service tongue

...for a man of your calibre to be here teaching mathematics to secondary schools pupils on a forum like NL gives Nigeria hope.

My jamb combination was Math, physics, chemistry, all calculation intensive subjects. The first time I wrote Jamb calculators were allowed and I took one in but I didn't even know what to press so I choose the answers randomly. The second time I wrote Jamb I thought I knew what to press but calculators where not allowed so again, I picked my answers randomly. In retrospect, I never really knew what to press or what the answers were. Somehow I managed to pass both, I thank the stars. And when I hear of scores below 100, I'm like shocked what are the statistical possibilities of picking that few correct answers out of 400? I managed to get slightly above 1/2 of all the correct answer on both sittings do you think I should try my hand on lottery wink

Hehehee... you certainly should try your hand on the lottery. The chance of picking the correct answer for one question is 1/4. Out of 400, picking only half correctly is (1/4)^200 provided picking each answer is a completely independent event. That's unrealistically high. That's about 1/(2 x 10^120). You could win the lottery with less probability. If the lottery requires you to get five numbers correctly out of, say, 75 numbers, irrespective of order. Since this is independent from any other person playing, your chances would be 1/(75C5) which is about 1/(1.7 x 10^7).

To put these probabilities in perspective, I have once read that the probability of an asteroid impacting earth with the amount of activity in outer space could be about 1/200, 000 or less. So u see, an asteroid is more likely to hit earth than you are to score 200 in Jamb from guessing. Lol.

Edit: Just for the mathematically cautious and for students reading this thread, not to confused them. Out of 400, picking half correctly will also involve picking half incorrectly. So, P will be about (3/4)^200 * (1/4)^200, but since (3/4)^200 is significantly less than (1/4)^200, it has been left out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 12:48am On Nov 26, 2014
goofyone:

Hehehee... you certainly should try your hand on the lottery. The chance of picking the correct answer for one question is 1/4. Out of 400, picking only half correctly is (1/4)^200 provided picking each answer is a completely independent event. That's unrealistically high. That's about 1/(2 x 10^120). You could win the lottery with less probability. If the lottery requires you to get five numbers correctly out of, say, 75 numbers, irrespective of order. Since this is independent from any other person playing, your chances would be 1/(75C5) which is about 1/(1.7 x 10^7).

To put these probabilities in perspective, I have once read that the probability of an asteroid impacting earth with the amount of activity in outer space could be about 1/200, 000 or less. So u see, an asteroid is more likely to hit earth than you are to score 200 in Jamb from guessing. Lol.
Man. You. Are. Good.

Maybe I was backed by the gods wink

@emboldened, jambitos you heard the man, if you were thinking of using the "tinini-tanana" method to pass jamb you better not, because if you're successful an asteroid will hit earth. grin jack well and save the planet!

On a more serious note though, I think maths students writing jamb NEED to make themselves familiar with the solution shortcuts you offered to teach. If someone would teach similar methods for Physics and Chemistry too I think they'll be priceless! The rate of failure these days is unbelievably high. ALL the people close to me who wrote the last Jamb failed. 5 of them to be exact...and I can also tell you that none of them knew how to prepare well.

Finally, these are the kind of threads that should make FP, not which breed of dog is Tontoh Dikeh's.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 1:09am On Nov 26, 2014
xcapizt:

Man. You. Are. Good.

Maybe I was backed by the gods wink

@emboldened, jambitos you heard the man, if you were thinking of using the "tinini-tanana" method to pass jamb you better not, because if you're successful an asteroid will hit earth. grin jack well and save the planet!

You have provided me a really good laugh today cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 26, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Thanks for this, Ma.
I really like this and i support this setup.

Will be gald to contribute my quota in the Science subjects, most expecially, Mathematics and Physics.

you don't really have to copy me you know tongue
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by sholly28(m): 4:58am On Nov 26, 2014
goofyone:

Maths basically. Quick tricks to solving jamb maths. Just keep me informed by tagging me when you begin and people bring on their maths questions. I'll also gladly go through the steps with them, provided i can.

Let me give you a quick example.

Find the equation of a line parallel to y = -4χ + 2 passing through (2,3)

A. y - 4χ + 11 = 0
B. y + 4χ + 11 = 0
C. y - 4χ - 11 = 0
D. y + 4χ - 11 = 0

This is a jamb question i just copied from the internet. To answer this question the normal way, you have to go through long series of steps which involve determining the gradient of the line and then using some funny equation to calculate the gradient of the line and then the equation of the line.
To solve this faster, it's better to work from the answer. If the line must pass through (2,3) then the first part of the answer should cancel out 11 in the second part. The student immediately sees that y + 4x should sum to give 11. Immediately you realize that only D has y + 4x=11 so that (2,3) actually passes through. So D is the answer. No need to go through the hassles of following solution steps. You get me?

Pls advice? how can I become a good mathematician.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Avast(m): 5:50am On Nov 26, 2014
goofyone:

Maths basically. Quick tricks to solving jamb maths. Just keep me informed by tagging me when you begin and people bring on their maths questions. I'll also gladly go through the steps with them, provided i can.
Let me give you a quick example.
Find the equation of a line parallel to y = -4χ + 2 passing through (2,3)
A. y - 4χ + 11 = 0
B. y + 4χ + 11 = 0
C. y - 4χ - 11 = 0
D. y + 4χ - 11 = 0
This is a jamb question i just copied from the internet. To answer this question the normal way, you have to go through long series of steps which involve determining the gradient of the line and then using some funny equation to calculate the gradient of the line and then the equation of the line.
To solve this faster, it's better to work from the answer. If the line must pass through (2,3) then the first part of the answer should cancel out 11 in the second part. The student immediately sees that y + 4x should sum to give 11. Immediately you realize that only D has y + 4x=11 so that (2,3) actually passes through. So D is the answer. No need to go through the hassles of following solution steps. You get me?
man see ease in maths,pls we need to start.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 6:17am On Nov 26, 2014
Good morning guys, go to this thread www.nairaland.com/2015333/nairaland-tutorial-launch-centre to know more about the tutorial e.g teachers, timetable, when lesson starts , the schedule.. And lots more thanks. Share to invite ur e-friends.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by MizMyColi(f): 6:36am On Nov 26, 2014
lipsrsealed
Phil!!!!
Worrriz all disss!!!?

*throws hands up*
I give up

goofyone:

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 26, 2014
I'm loving this thread already. Microflux,we need a timetable,yes?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 26, 2014
sholly28:

Pls advice? how can I become a good mathematician.

Practice, practice, practice.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 26, 2014
MizMyColi:

lipsrsealed
Phil!!!!
Worrriz all disss!!!?

*throws hands up*
I give up

I give up too! grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 26, 2014
No Geography or Biology teacher?

I give up. tongue
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by littleboysod: 8:01am On Nov 26, 2014
oya make una start na, abi e wo ni gon!... Pls i tink we can start with treatin d last days @ forcados high skool, since its general... Jst sayin ni o.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 26, 2014
FrancisTony:
No Geography or Biology teacher?

I give up. tongue
daris biology teacher
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 26, 2014
littleboysod:
oya make una start na, abi e wo ni gon!... Pls i tink we can start with treatin d last days @ forcados high skool, since its general... Jst sayin ni o.
lecture starts by 9 am stay tuned bruh!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 26, 2014
Microflux:
daris biology teacher
Okay. Nice
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 26, 2014
Jennimma:
I'm loving this thread already. Microflux,we need a timetable,yes?
the timetabu is ready. Pls know your period.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 26, 2014
littleboysod:
Is that the only 'Use of English' text jambites is going to treat?

No longer two again?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 26, 2014
Microflux:
the timetabu is ready. Pls know your period.
i don't seem to see no timetable.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 26, 2014
Jennimma:

i don't seem to see no timetable.
okay. Sori 4 dat . Check www.nairaland.com/2015333/nairaland-tutorial-launch-centre
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 26, 2014
xcapizt:
Cool *thumbs up* I like the idea!

hmm but I don't know exactly how I can be useful here as I passed my own jamb by random shading. Twice grin. I guess I'll just hang around and if I figure out how I can help I'll chip in.
Lol! I prefer to be a student, English class here i come.
Want to improve on my ....
Lol!
Watching to see where i will contribute.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 26, 2014
CalabarBoi:
signing in.... officially.

actually here to gain from the vast knowledge of 'em bosses on here but i'll be sure to help where i can.

i'm science-oriented. most of the little i know is science-inclined. i'm really looking forward to learning more in that aspect.

thanks to the organisers and the volunteers. this is what we need around here.

cc: microflux
mizmycoli
pickabeu1
okay. Tanks. I wil contact u sun. 4 ways u cn hep in here
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Superstar007(m): 5:14pm On Nov 26, 2014
So many teachers, no students
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 26, 2014
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by holyboss: 8:54pm On Nov 26, 2014
Superstar007:
So many teachers, no students
grin

Chibok girls oya come let us teach u sumin O!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial 2015 launch thread by shakrullah(m): 11:15am On Nov 27, 2014
@microflux we are yet to see Physics and chemistry tutorials thread

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Difference Between Yoga And Vodka(pic) / Dangote No Longer Africa's Richest Man / School Punishment Abroad VS In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.