Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

I Was Diagnosed Of Cancer- Soyinka - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Was Diagnosed Of Cancer- Soyinka (475 Views)

ALERT!!! Nigerian Diagnosed Of Ebola In cotonou. / Touching Letter By An Abused Wife To Her Husband Before She Died Of Cancer / Letter To The Future(yr 2,999) Drop your 'I Was Here' msgs to the Future NLndrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Was Diagnosed Of Cancer- Soyinka by DickDastardly(m): 6:02pm On Nov 25, 2014
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Oluwole Soyinka, today, opened up on hishealth status, saying he was diagnosed of cancer last December.

But an expert and Founder of African Cancer Centre, Lagos, Prof. Olu Williams, quickly assured Soyinkathat he would “not die of cancer.”

Williams, who revealed that Soyinkahad the disease because of his old age, said the playwright will only “die with the ailment.”

Soyinka, who revealed his cancer status at a press conference at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Abeokuta, Ogun State, said he had decided to open up so as to create awarenessabout cancer disease and to help people take measures to prevent it or seek prompt medical attention for cure.

The Nobel Laureate said he survived the silent killer disease because of early detection, treatment and proper dieting, addingthat it has also dawned on him that the family has ahistory of cancer ailment.

He noted that his initial reaction when it dawned on that he has cancer was to see it asone of those challengesand nuisance that should be dealt with, adding that atime he considered it “an unwanted squatter in his body and had to get rid of it whether it is a slow growing one or malignant.”

Although, “Kongi”, who showed a crest to attest to his surviving the disease, did not reveal to reporters the nature of the cancer he was treated for, his son, Dr. Olaokun Soyinka, who isalso the Commissioner for Health in Ogun State, later told The Nation his father was treated for “prostate cancer.”
Source: Vanguard
Re: I Was Diagnosed Of Cancer- Soyinka by DickDastardly(m): 6:03pm On Nov 25, 2014
While the other Cancer you invented "cultism" eats up our campuses! undecided

Get well fellow prof cool

1 Like

Re: I Was Diagnosed Of Cancer- Soyinka by morefire: 6:08pm On Nov 25, 2014
DickDastardly:
While the other Cancer you invented "cultism" eats up our campuses! undecided

Get well fellow prof cool

i think u should read about about the club he established back in the day...

not denying that the club led to the cults that we now have but am just saying read up alot on it so you dont hate the old man for something that really wasnt his fault

(1) (Reply)

Our World Is Officially Broken / Why Is Suya Being Sold At 3 Cross Road ? / Welcom Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.