Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. (57865 Views)

10 Most Marketable Courses In Nigeria / Most Annoying Thing A Lecturer Ever Did To You ? / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by joseph1832(m): 10:39am On Nov 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:
Seriously?

This op is very very very elitist and ridiculous!!

Even UK and USA newspapers have their grammatical idiosyncrasies

See the nonsense the op is saying?

"As at the time of" is actually grammatically correct and more applicable to the sentence.

"at" is more applicable than "of" when talking about time- eg-

-at what time do you close?
-It was at 10pm he died.

And to see that many Nairalanders are supporting this ridiculous op! Wow. English is dead
You'll have to wonder who made the OP a guru of the English Language. You see many of them here on Nairaland correcting people grammar as if they're proficient in the language.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by namqul(m): 10:39am On Nov 26, 2014
Largas:

Says the nonsense-spitting-one. If language were culture then we should stick to our native languages and forget about English. Those English speaking countries you think of, what other languages aside English do they have as major language? Speak out.
guy leave dem dey tot english na deir papa lingua, wetin dey annoy me b say them no sabi pigin lanquage o. Copy cat pigin 4 life

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:40am On Nov 26, 2014
Marc9:
This surely must be one of the most grammatically incorrect expressions.........

Presenter: hello caller

Caller: hello

Presenter: please, kindly turn down the volume of your Tv set

When the correct expression is tune down the volume...

Another example of "oversabi" and "smartass" gramarian grammar Nazi.

"tune down" is actually logically inconsistent.

You "tune" to a station but you don't "tune" down the volume. Tune applies to frequency and not volume

It actually makes more sense to "turn" the volume down. One actually has to "turn" the volume knob down to reduce the volume

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Chiefpriest1(m): 10:40am On Nov 26, 2014
So much nonsense here. Even people who can't string a sentence are pretending to be experts in the use of the english language. Seriously, I am out

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 10:40am On Nov 26, 2014
Oyibo...supu

This is english made easy

But have the OP forgotten that we have Nigerian English, and those are Nigerian English.....we can speak Britiko

Wetin Consign me seff

pidgin is better afterall

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:41am On Nov 26, 2014
joseph1832:
You'll have to wonder who made the OP a guru of the English Language. You see many of them here on Nairaland correcting people grammar as if they're proficient in the language.

Thank you bros.

"oversabi grammarians"

"smartazz grammar Nazis"
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Afrok(m): 10:42am On Nov 26, 2014
Yes ooo... At least we dey understand wetin dem mean, what about the "opopo oyinbo" we Hon. Patrick and op dey blow? It takes a 4yrs course to understand dem.

Anyways, this is My xmas list for my ex:

1. Tea shoe paper
2. Honda wear
3. Cabin bee skit
4. Limp stick (Red)
5. May cup kit
6. Sanitree pad
7. Sleepers.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by OmoEniafelamo(m): 10:43am On Nov 26, 2014
As a journalist, I've tried my best to correct my colleagues that some of the expressions the OP pointed out do not befit a mainstream journalist but they'll never heed. Sometimes I'll write a correct sentence and my editor will reconstruct it to an incorrect one. Whenever I point it out to him he would apologise, but that's after the story has already been published, and since I get the byline, I get the insult.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:45am On Nov 26, 2014
Sodiq3:
This is what you should expect when most of our reporters and editors are SSCE holders or graduates of other fields. How many of them read Journalism? most of them by chance found themselves reporting for a medium, They don't really have passion for the profession which would definitely make learning difficult for them.

Thanks so much Op. As an upcoming journalist, I will with all energy available take into cognizance the pointed mistakes and corrections.

Keep quiet.

The op is even writing rubbish English and you are praising him

Just look below. He corrected the right expression with a less applicable expression

"As at the time of" is actually more applicable than "as of the time of"

3.“As at the time of filing this report:” Well, the correct expression, which is actually a fixed prepositional phrase, is “AS OF,” not “as at.” So, that sentence should read: “As of the time of filing this report.” This solecism has sadly percolated deep into the conventions of Nigerian English in general
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by berbs112(m): 10:48am On Nov 26, 2014
kilokeys:
nice post..

i hope this post makes fp
because its been yesteryears since posts like this hit fp.
electioneering and magomagonanism on NL
Yesteryear Bro! Lols
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by zeetyzin(m): 10:48am On Nov 26, 2014
well,English doesn't really matter a lot to me....
we rarely speak it here in France....

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 10:48am On Nov 26, 2014
Marc9:
This surely must be one of the most grammatically incorrect expressions.........

Presenter: hello caller

Caller: hello

Presenter: please, kindly turn down the volume of your Tv set

When the correct expression is tune down the volume...

Monkey

you dont tune down a volume, you tune to a station and Turn or reduce the volume

Did you even pass WAEC

sabi sabinus

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Thebrightest(m): 10:49am On Nov 26, 2014
ok

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by fixa(m): 10:53am On Nov 26, 2014
AT LEAST five people are feared dead.
Is it that they wanted more?
That grammar is annoying.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by joseph1832(m): 10:53am On Nov 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Thank you bros.

"oversabi grammarians"

"smartazz grammar Nazis"
Funny thing is these people are the ones who can't pass WAEC or JAMB or is it UTME now?.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:55am On Nov 26, 2014
Quality broadcast is on the decline. Bisi Olatilo told us that in the past before you could go on air to say "this is Radio Nigeria, the time is 4 o'clock, you would have undergone series of training."

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by DanniceG(m): 10:56am On Nov 26, 2014
9ice one O.p

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by radiance26(f): 10:56am On Nov 26, 2014
Centuries to came,we are still imitating english language wrongly,cos its not ours.We need to encourage ourselves by appreciating our own languages.I know an igbo girl who understands her language very well,but so ashamed to speak the language outside.Its a shame to us,we are loosing our own languages.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by dtermined(m): 11:01am On Nov 26, 2014
Ronaldo, Sanchez, Di Maria, Messi make UEFA Team of the Year nominees’ list

See the Full Lists A total of 40 footballers, have been nominated for the 2014 UEFA Team of the Year

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by joseph1832(m): 11:02am On Nov 26, 2014
Sodiq3:
This is what you should expect when most of our reporters and editors are SSCE holders or graduates of other fields. How many of them read Journalism? most of them by chance found themselves reporting for a medium, They don't really have passion for the profession which would definitely make learning difficult for them.

Thanks so much Op. As an upcoming journalist, I will with all energy available take into cognizance the pointed mistakes and corrections.
Before you go ahead and heap praise on the OP, wouldn't it be prudent to ask the OP of his qualifications as regards the English Language.

Otherwise I believe this is a clear case of 'teacher no teach me nonsense'.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by tolugar: 11:03am On Nov 26, 2014
What about

"Perpetrators will be brought to book"

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by tintingz(m): 11:05am On Nov 26, 2014
DjAndroid:

Is The language yours? If you must speak a language, speak like the owner of the language. You may not have the accent but the grammar/technicalities must be revered.

English is not made in Nigeria, so there is nothing like "this is Nigeria for you".

Speak English the way it should be spoken.
You make sense but...

In countries that speak English they have added or brought up their own command use,of words, you can't expect all English speaking countries to speak the same command use of words.

In America they have their own slangs and their command use of English, so the guy that said "this is Nigeria English for you" is some how right because I'm waiting for this article writer to condemn American media English if he has the balls to do so.

I didn't condemn is write up tho, it is a brilliant article

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:05am On Nov 26, 2014
fixa:
AT LEAST five people are feared dead.
Is it that they wanted more?
That grammar is annoying.

It is apt, even if you think it is annoying.

They are only saying that it is possible that more people could be dead.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:07am On Nov 26, 2014
joseph1832:
Funny thing is these people are the ones who can't pass WAEC or JAMB or is it UTME now?.

They just want to feel good that they can speak English

I blame Nigerian secondary schools for not teaching many Nigerian languages grin seriously. I would have had A1 in Itsekiri and not F9 in Yoruba
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Sodiq3(m): 11:08am On Nov 26, 2014
OmoEniafelamo:
As a journalist, I've tried my best to correct my colleagues that some of the expressions the OP pointed out do not befit a mainstream journalist but they'll never heed. Sometimes I'll write a correct sentence and my editor will reconstruct it to an incorrect one. Whenever I point it out to him he would apologise, but that's after the story has already been published, and since I get the byline, I get the insult.

well done bro, got one or two questions to ask you. Sent you a PM already.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by blym4real: 11:08am On Nov 26, 2014
See over sabi, another person will come to claim what you wrote there is grammatically incorrect. I gave up on english a long time ago, I can also claim what you wrote there is technically incorrect and back it up with some jargons.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Davidson267(m): 11:10am On Nov 26, 2014
Yomieluv:
Me fail English,that's unpossible.
u have failed already.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by joseph1832(m): 11:10am On Nov 26, 2014
People often mistake or have little understanding of the word 'communication'.

Patrick Obahiagbon will blow grammar from now til thy kingdom come and many will applause him without having understood what he's saying- communication not established.

A market woman will make a grammatical blunder many will rush to correct her- communication established.

We like pointing our flaws to ridicule ourselves. If you want to correct a person's grammatical expression, do so without making a mockery or monkey of the person.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 26, 2014
It is educating, not educative.

It is entertaining, not entertative.

grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Rexyl(m): 11:10am On Nov 26, 2014
@ OP. Nice one. Your observation is worth paying attention to for better and clearer communication in English. But It is the English that are at fault. They brought their language to us and dumped it without doing the follow-ups to minimize errors which could arise as a result of separation from the original form. All these days they have abandoned Nigerians to their fate in English language and communication, people have really tried to even communicate in the language and still make sense out of it.

Nigerians have really tried. How many of them were taught or are being taught by the English. They have given quality time and stressed their brains to pick some difficult words, slang, and grammar and added to their mother's tongue. Really they have tried.

To this small piece, I am expecting to be corrected, with sincere analysis

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 11:11am On Nov 26, 2014
radiance26:
Centuries to came,we are still imitating english language wrongly,cos its not ours.We need to encourage ourselves by appreciating our own languages.I know an igbo girl who understands her language very well,but so ashamed to speak the language outside.Its a shame to us,we are loosing our own languages.

I doubt...igbos are proud

Look at that girl very well she is not a pure igbo or those that we call fake igbo

They know the part the come from

Is english my papa language

Even british dude dey make mistake

Why oyibo no speak igbo like me

Black man will always want to speak english more than british

Monkeys

Babe not u sha

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by stanprexy(m): 11:13am On Nov 26, 2014
Na wa! Grammar everywhere

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG / IMT Student And His "Customised Vehicle" Storm School In Enugu. Photos / See Why Male Students Don't Pay Attention In School (photo)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.