Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,262 members, 7,818,891 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. (57952 Views)

10 Most Marketable Courses In Nigeria / Most Annoying Thing A Lecturer Ever Did To You ? / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by joseph1832(m): 11:13am On Nov 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

They just want to feel good that they can speak English

I blame Nigerian secondary schools for not teaching many Nigerian languages grin seriously. I would have had A1 in Itsekiri and not F9 in Yoruba
Bottom line is many of us don't really speak 'Queens English'. We speak our own version and make annoying corrections all over social media.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 11:14am On Nov 26, 2014
joseph1832:
People often mistake or have little understanding of the word 'communication'.

Patrick Obahiagbon will blow grammar from now til thy kingdom come and many will applause him without having understood what he's saying- communication not established.

A market woman will make a grammatical blunder many will rush to correct her- communication established.

We like pointing our flaws to ridicule ourselves. If you want to correct a person's grammatical expression, do so without making a mockery or monkey of the person.

Cheers.

Did you pass WAEC at all?...your tenses are terrible...i must confess grammatically maybe ok but tenses are just terrible

Once again i get your drift..english aint our papas language

So do not feel bad

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by joseph1832(m): 11:19am On Nov 26, 2014
christopher123:

Did you pass WAEC at all?...your tenses are terrible...i must confess grammatically maybe ok but tenses are just terrible

Once again i get your drift..english aint our papas language

So do not feel bad
Confess away you spoilt child! You should know the pronoun I is always written in capital letter.

See person wey say my tenses dey terrible oh!.

Please do point out my mistakes, don't just come here and make corrections without doing the correcting! Thank you.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:21am On Nov 26, 2014
joseph1832:
Confess away you spoilt child! You should know the pronoun I is always written in capital letter.

See person wey say my tenses dey terrible oh!.

Please do point out my mistakes, don't just come here and make corrections without doing the correcting! Thank you.

grin grin grin
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Youpele52: 11:22am On Nov 26, 2014

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Another example of "oversabi" and "smartass" gramarian grammar Nazi.

"tune down" is actually logically inconsistent.

You "tune" to a station but you don't "tune" down the volume. Tune applies to frequency and not volume

It actually makes more sense to "turn" the volume down. One actually has to "turn" the volume knob down to reduce the volume

U may as well hold ur TV and start twisting till the volume is down.

when it comes to TV or radio, u tune! U don't turn! U tune to a station, u tune the volume, u tune its menu, u tune! U don't turn!

U turn ur tap open, u turn ur table upside down! U don't turn down the volume of a TV set. U tune down!

The word tune means set! When u tune the volume, u set the volume down!

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Tpumpz(m): 11:25am On Nov 26, 2014
Mtchew
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 26, 2014
christopher123:

Monkey

you dont tune down a volume, you tune to a station and Turn or reduce the volume

Did you even pass WAEC

sabi sabinus

Just for the fact ur mum is my lover, I'll ignore ur post!

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by yadnus1(m): 11:28am On Nov 26, 2014
Having read the history of how my forefathers were carried away into slavery by the British and other Europeans masters, with all sort of wicked treatments they gave them;l used to think that the least l could do to get back at them is to murder their language-the only legacy they left behind since l don't speak or write English in order to pass exams or interviews anymore but l later discovered that the act was destroying all that l have acquired in all the years l spent on my education at an amazing speed within a very short period of time and have since retraced my steps. Speaking/constructing good English sentences provides certain undue advantages in some certain situations like getting away with traffic offences by confusing the officials with torrents of Linguistic Jingoism.Have done it many times.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 11:29am On Nov 26, 2014
Marc9:

Just for the fact ur mum is my lover, I'll ignore ur post!

Just for the fact that i made love to your mother and had party with your sisters...i will threat you with kids gloves
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by nagoma(m): 11:29am On Nov 26, 2014
Mologi:
hon.patrick...
na u b dat..sooryyy...i catch u

English has played it part...
nawah ooo

Britons self no dey complain say we dey spoil their lang..

yes i mad it...haaaa...takes mic..speechless
(rubs my face with my hand)

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 26, 2014
thank God I school in France
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by joseph1832(m): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

grin grin grin
Pay no heed to the ignoramus christopher123. I believe he forgot: "Na overskill nahim kill ajegunle Monkey". Now christopher123 what will you call the statement above, metaphor or idiom?.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 26, 2014
christopher123:

Just for the fact that i made love to my mother and had party with my sisters...i will ask you to try the same with my mum and my sisters wearing nepa gloves

I already did! Thanks for the offer! smiley
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 26, 2014
They are all old colonial-masters terms. Nigerians are still living in colonial era though!

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by maigemuu: 11:45am On Nov 26, 2014
SaintRobs:
5.“Names withheld.” This expression rankles me to no end. It’s not only unprofessional and irresponsible journalism to habitually conceal the identity of the subjects you are writing about (as in, “a south-south governor in an oil-rich state [names withheld] is involved in a corruption scandal”); it’s also exasperatingly redundant to state that you have withheld the name of someone whose name you have not mentioned anyway! It is obvious to any reader that a name has been withheld if it’s not mentioned. But what is particularly irksome about this practice is that it is used even in reporting stories of crucial public importance.

If reporters and editors are not prepared to name names, even where it is legally and ethically safe to do so, why waste ink and space to opaquely hint at them? But the bad news for editors and reporters who practice this imbecilic and feeble-minded journalism is that, in media law, not directly mentioning the name of a person or an organization is not sufficient safeguard against legal liability. If a person or a company can prove that there is sufficient material basis for “right-thinking” members of the society to infer that they are the object of a libelous newspaper innuendo, the paper is in the soup.

6.“Electioneering campaign:” “Electioneering” and “political campaign” mean the same thing. So “electioneering campaign” is tautologous. It’s either electioneering or campaign.

7.“Our story is true in every material particular:” The phrase “in every material particular” is an archaic legal jargon. It is not used in everyday English in any native variety of the English language.

8.“Yesteryears:” This old-fashioned word, which is sometimes used for literary effects, has no plural in both the British and American varieties of Standard English. It remains “yesteryear” whether it’s in the singular or plural form. Another word that Nigerian newspapers—and by extension Nigerian speakers of the English language—pluralize against conventional practice is “slang.” The plural is often rendered as “slangs” in Nigeria. In Standard English, however, the plural form of slang does not take an “s”; it is often rendered as “slang expressions.”

9.“A free-for-all fight:” This tautologic expression is probably a consequence of the misrecognition of the part of speech of “free-for-all.” It is a noun, not an adjective, and cannot modify another noun. It means a brawl, a noisy fight in a crowd. So it is sufficient to simply write that there was a free-for-all without adding “fight.”

10. “Not unconnected with:” This expression is not grammatically wrong but is hopelessly hackneyed and pretentious. George Orwell once urged us to laugh the not un- formation out of existence by memorizing this sentence:“A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.

Source:http://www.farooqkperogi.com/2009/12/10-most-annoying-nigerian-media-english.html

bro...u too talk.

so far the person don understand the rest na tori for the godz

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 26, 2014
DjAndroid:

Is The language yours? If you must speak a language, speak like the owner of the language. You may not have the accent but the grammar/technicalities must be revered.

English is not made in Nigeria, so there is nothing like "this is Nigeria for you".

Speak English the way it should be spoken.
Didirin

my own language #winks
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by holatin(m): 11:51am On Nov 26, 2014
dis expression nko
Africa time, it's not my business, am I your father,

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Richy4(m): 11:58am On Nov 26, 2014
Op I suggest you soft paddle a little please. I don't really know if you have seen most British that owns the language speak before.
You will be amazed how polished Nigerians speaks. Though with different accent.

I got a boss from England. He can't spell certain words. I was surprised that day but I took it lightly because I can't spell most words in my language too.

So just cool down. The most important thing is for the receiver to get the message.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by ESHOIZA: 11:59am On Nov 26, 2014
tjark1:
Good job...
But my man, if you want to teach or correct, try not to create more problems.... with All this grammar u blowing here, u should be working as Chris Okotie's interpreter or APC spoke person...

be explicit as possible except u wona be noticed/show off...

nice work though...
I wonder o if no b say I galant 4 Eng u b won set m off balance try to enhance ur communicating skills by makin simpl and correct Eng
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by ZACHIE: 12:02pm On Nov 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

You "tune" to a station but you don't "tune" down the volume. Tune applies to frequency and not volume

It actually makes more sense to "turn" the volume down. One actually has to "turn" the volume knob down to reduce the volume

To be fair to the OP, his topic wasn,t meant for general use.
it is a specialized writing targeted at a segment of English language users, this time, commercial users otherwise known as Journalists.

Do not crucify him please.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by uzolexis(f): 12:03pm On Nov 26, 2014
fr3do:
Nonsense! Do you expect us to speak english exactly like the british? This is Nigeria and thats Nigerian english for you.
I expected you to criticize their horrible accents.

Our accent is not horrible too,it's the Nigerian accent. Every country has it's accent wc is unique 2 them.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by uzolexis(f): 12:07pm On Nov 26, 2014
fr3do:

Nigeria is a compilation of numerous ethnic nations, we were united to form one country and english is the official language, we have all fallen to it to communicate with one another. pidgin is even there for quicker and more convenient communication.

Communication is what language is all about, Nigerians are getting information explicitly that is what is important, not some guidelines from Britian.
English in Britian has been changing since time immemorial, english in medival times is different from english now.
If english can change in Britian why cant it change in Nigeria?

how does this deviation help your argument or counter mine? Drop your points and stop asking yeye questions.

I'm totally with u on this. The most impt thing is communication as long as u can communicate, no problem.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by idu1(m): 12:08pm On Nov 26, 2014
missdebs:
i so hate the 'name witheld' part, na dis one no make us knw bokoharam sponsor since
And anonymous source.... E dey vex me die.... But op make u leave those media people... Most of them school france that's why, they can speak good engrissssh.....
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 12:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
joseph1832:
Pay no heed to the ignoramus christopher123. I believe he forgot: "Na overskill nahim kill ajegunle Monkey". Now christopher123 what will you call the statement above, metaphor or idiom?.
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 12:12pm On Nov 26, 2014
Kids everywhere, you people are here telling us to speak like English themselves, that’s ok, but what of speaking like them and have you gotten the same intonation like them, today we have various types of English and the language has been adapted and adopted to suit the regions that its been spoken . now that is what we call regionalism, we do not expect an Indian dude to speak like the dude in England and we do not expect an American dude to speak like the Jamaican.
Now the question is will you come today to say that American English, Australian English or even Irish English ain’t correct. Now why must we Nigeria try to speak as pure as English? I work in a media house and I know the nuances of the grammar. Yes most things that we write and speak in media to the British dude it might sound daft but to Nigerian it is just plainly Nigerian English. I am not condemning queen’s English oooo but I have never had a problem communicating when I travel out.
So the issue of English is neither here nor there. Now the Nigerian will say “the phone is not going” but the right word is that the phone isn’t connecting. But we in Nigeria understand it. the dude in Washington will say I am no thief but the British dude will say I am not a thief…now which one is correct.

What is communication? The ability to talk and be understood, Now that is the basic. Once you can decode the code message, you have communicated. Don’t mind that Hon. Patrick…to me I call him a clown, I wonder how he impress his APC dude with that sublimity and elevated language. I do not rate his intellect with bogus grammar but I tend to see him as Hocus Pocus in grammar.

That is My humble submission.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by christopher123(m): 12:12pm On Nov 26, 2014
ZACHIE:

To be fair to the OP, his topic wasn,t meant for general use.
it is a specialized writing targeted at a segment of English language users, this time, commercial users otherwise known as Journalists.

Do not crucify him please.

Kids everywhere, you people are here telling us to speak like English themselves, that’s ok, but what of speaking like them and have you gotten the same intonation like them, today we have various types of English and the language has been adapted and adopted to suit the regions that its been spoken . now that is what we call regionalism, we do not expect an Indian dude to speak like the dude in England and we do not expect an American dude to speak like the Jamaican.
Now the question is will you come today to say that American English, Australian English or even Irish English ain’t correct. Now why must we Nigeria try to speak as pure as English? I work in a media house and I know the nuances of the grammar. Yes most things that we write and speak in media to the British dude it might sound daft but to Nigerian it is just plainly Nigerian English. I am not condemning queen’s English oooo but I have never had a problem communicating when I travel out.
So the issue of English is neither here nor there. Now the Nigerian will say “the phone is not going” but the right word is that the phone isn’t connecting. But we in Nigeria understand it. the dude in Washington will say I am no thief but the British dude will say I am not a thief…now which one is correct.

What is communication? The ability to talk and be understood, Now that is the basic. Once you can decode the code message, you have communicated. Don’t mind that Hon. Patrick…to me I call him a clown, I wonder how he impress his APC dude with that sublimity and elevated language. I do not rate his intellect with bogus grammar but I tend to see him as Hocus Pocus in grammar.

SaintRobs:
10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions
By Farooq A. Kperogi

Contemporary Nigerian media English, for the most part, derives from a fetid repertoire of aggravatingly stereotyped and error-ridden phraseology. I have isolated 10 recurrent ones that particularly grate on my nerves.

While some of the expressions I have highlighted below are outright grammatically incorrect, others are grammatically correct but either laughably outdated or hopelessly clichéd. Either way, they all need to be dumped like “the verbal refuse” that they are. The numbering of the expressions is entirely arbitrary; it doesn’t indicate a hierarchical ordering of their egregiousness.

1.“Remains deposited at the mortuary.” This is almost the standard expression in Nigerian media English to say that a dead body has been delivered at the mortuary. There are two problems with this expression. First, the word “remains” is too formal for a news story. “Corpse” and “dead body” are the more usual words. And “deposit” is a singularly quaint verb to associate with death, especially in popular usage.

There are three principal senses of the word “deposit” in conversational English. The first and most popular is to put money or other valuables in a bank account. The second sense is to put, fix, force or implant something, as in “deposit a bullet in the table.” And the third sense is to situate something, that is, to put something somewhere firmly, as in “deposit the suitcase on the bench.” It’s unclear how this expression sprang in Nigerian media English, but it makes me sick to my stomach.

2.“Hear him,” or “in his words:” These are not strictly grammatically incorrect expressions; they are just ugly, inappropriate and superfluous verbiages. The convention in journalistic writing globally is to quote a source and acknowledge attribution by writing “(s)he said” at the end of a sentence. Example: “I hope Yar’adua lives long enough to save us from a potentially destructive constitutional crisis,” he said.

Now, when Nigerian newspaper journalists write “hear him,” they are not only being superfluous; they are also being unfaithful to the medium in which they write. We don’t literally “hear” people in print; we read them. And to write “in his words” while at the same time inserting quotation marks to those words is redundant. It is precisely because you’re quoting your source “in his words” that the sentence is in quotation marks. It’s, of course, appropriate to write “in his words” in broadcast scripts since they are meant to be read out.

3.“As at the time of filing this report:” Well, the correct expression, which is actually a fixed prepositional phrase, is “AS OF,” not “as at.” So, that sentence should read: “As of the time of filing this report.” This solecism has sadly percolated deep into the conventions of Nigerian English in general.

4.“Men of the underworld”: This expression has lost currency in other parts of the English-speaking world. But my gripe with it is that it’s a hackneyed, flyblown cliché that evinces the intellectual laziness of Nigerian journalists. Why not simply write “criminals”?

To be continued...
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 26, 2014
Well, while I agree with the OP on some of the expressions pointed out, I would also like to let us know that not all English expressions not found in Western dictionaries are actually "wrong". The term "Nigerian English" or "Nigerian standard English" has come to be an internationally recognised standard of English derived from British English, influence by American English and adulterated by our local languages (in terms of new expressions and accents).

While it could be challenging to decipher which is wrong grammar and which is Nigerian standard, it would be pertinent to point out that for an expression to acceptable as Nigerian English, it must conform grammatically with the international standard of the language. Wikipedia identified such expressions as bride-price, senior wife, etc. as acceptable expressions in Nigerian English though alien to the native speakers of English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_English

That aside, the essence of communication is pass some message across. Even a professor of English language would speak pidgin to a not-so-literate person. This is for the OP, are you trying to impress your audience or send a message across?

Regardless of how much one knows a language, one can never be said to be good in the language until he knows how to use it with respect to his audience.

Nice one.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by charlove(m): 12:18pm On Nov 26, 2014
its like yours is more annoying...
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by mu2sa2: 12:20pm On Nov 26, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

And somebody's wondering who's right!
Re: 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions. by tukree: 12:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
Good work, but op this type of big grammer can cause a graduate to remain unemployed in Nigeria, I guess this must be obahiagbo's son or grandson, let me drink some chilled water dis grammer I feel dizzy after reading, oh wia is my bible I faint someone pls revive me dis grammer yeeee dis grammer ah my head my eyes, somebody helepu. is nt good to read dis kain grammer when fastingo. le me go back to our fasting and prayer forum bf grammer kpai me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NDA Kaduna Expels Cadets For Indiscipline / Choose Your Best Subject Here And Someone Will Ask You A Question / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.