Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,294 members, 7,826,170 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? (739 Views)

Why Can’t The Government Just Print More Money? / New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by sebali: 11:21pm On Nov 26, 2014
When it comes to monetary policies, stock exchange and many other economic/business issues i am still in d ice age.
SOMEBODY WITH ECONOMIC KNOWLEDGE PLS XPLAIN TO ME WHY A NATION CANT PRINT MONEY(THERE OWN CURRENCY) IN TIMES OF CRISIS LIKE THE ONE WE RE XPERIENCING NOW IN NAIJA.
WHY NOT JUST PRINT MORE NAIRA?

If u kn pls xplain in lay man's language because more economic terms wud confuse.
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by sainty2k3(m): 11:23pm On Nov 26, 2014
I wonder o. Lol
Punishing puself with the rule that ,money must be scarce
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by klodike(m): 11:37pm On Nov 26, 2014
Have u heard of INFLATION before
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 26, 2014
Go and ask robert mugabe and zimbabweans about it.
He will teach you with experience about the effect.
Op,How old are you by the way?
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by Diffdeef(m): 11:54pm On Nov 26, 2014
K
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by dmostcheerful(f): 12:08am On Nov 27, 2014
I gbadu u op,
its not my fault nairaland i skiped class alot during my sec days
please some expert should come and do justice to our curiousity :' :'

1 Like

Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by DisGuy: 12:14am On Nov 27, 2014
the U.S has been 'printing money' for five years now .....Quantitative Easing....google

in the case of nigeria- na chop dem go chop the money grin
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by LaRochelle(f): 1:01am On Nov 27, 2014
If a central bank prints more currency indiscriminately, there would be problems. The main problem is inflation. Inflation is when the amount of money in the economy increases without a corresponding increase in the production of goods and services. So, much money are now chasing few goods. Prices of goods rise because more goods are needed than are available. This means you need more money to buy the same quantity of goods. Imagine buying bread for N100 in the morning and it costing N200 by evening.

Also, your goods become more expensive for foreigners to purchase; although, you can buy goods from foreigners cheaply. That is quite bad because you won't be able to get enough income from abroad while the foreigners use you as their income source. This reduces the country's external stock of money, as money is going out without replenishment. You get my drift, right?

Furthermore, when there's too much money, people are less likely to save because the value of money has dropped; meaning that the money that they save today worth less tomorrow. Nobody wants to save money that would be useless tomorrow. Investment is savings-driven. So, less savings equal less investment. Less investment leads to low growth in real output, which leads to low development in the country.

These are some examples. You can google up to get more information if you aren't yet convinced.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by sebali: 6:23am On Nov 27, 2014
klodike:
Have u heard of INFLATION before

YES.......bt hw wud it cause inflation dats my question.
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by sebali: 6:37am On Nov 27, 2014
tongue
phantonce:
Go and ask robert mugabe and zimbabweans about it.
He will teach you with experience about the effect.
Op,How old are you by the way?

A little bit older than u re.

btw: i wud go read about d Zimbabweans case.
tanx
Re: Why Cant We Just Print More Naira Notes? by sebali: 6:52am On Nov 27, 2014
LaRochelle:
If a central bank prints more currency indiscriminately, there would be problems. The main problem is inflation. Inflation is when the amount of money in the economy increases without a corresponding increase in the production of goods and services. So, much money are now chasing few goods. Prices of goods rise because more goods are needed than are available. This means you need more money to buy the same quantity of goods. Imagine buying bread for N100 in the morning and it costing N200 by evening.

Also, your goods become more expensive for foreigners to purchase; although, you can buy goods from foreigners cheaply. That is quite bad because you won't be able to get enough income from abroad while the foreigners use you as their income source. This reduces the country's external stock of money, as money is going out without replenishment. You get my drift, right?

Furthermore, when there's too much money, people are less likely to save because the value of money has dropped; meaning that the money that they save today worth less tomorrow. Nobody wants to save money that would be useless tomorrow. Investment is savings-driven. So, less savings equal less investment. Less investment leads to low growth in real output, which leads to low development in the country.

These are some examples. You can google up to get more information if you aren't yet convinced.

Tanx very much.
wat if d govt. prints money bt circulate it cautiously(say jus to pay civil servants dere salaries only)

(1) (Reply)

The Cheapest Mtn Recharge Card Ever / Network Marketers And Aspiring Network Marketers...#enter Here!! / I Want To Invest In Agriculture But I Don't Know Where And How To Start.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.