Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? (21921 Views)

Is Intelligence Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? / Test Your Intelligence quotient / Improve Your Intelligence Quotient (IQ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by iceflow14(m): 7:10pm On Nov 29, 2014
let me clear it off...the capacity of your IQ depends on your mum's intelligent.
but if your kind of dull,you can boost your ability by keep pushing hard on your studies...

thats why you see som don't have to study much on a particular topic but will comprehend it while some will spend the whole day before understanding, som wont even comprehend except when being illuminate on it...

what am saying is that the maternity,environment and the seriousness is where intelligence quotient lyes on###

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Mavelshee(m): 7:22pm On Nov 29, 2014
I.Q/smartness = father
ability to retain memory/brilliancy = mother
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by tpia6: 7:33pm On Nov 29, 2014
innocent1:
Let me put it in a very simple way. In every family we tend to take after those we are very close to and see all the time. For instance if the mother is always around with the children she will transfer what she have intellectually to the children and so it is if the father is always with the children. In that case, if the mother or the father have a good IQ and is always with the kids definitly the children will inherit it. And that is why some time the parents of a child are dull but the child is intellegent that is because the child got it from some other person he/she is closer to.

this sounds plausible.

intelligence is 75% hard work, and 25% other factors.

thats why you can have intelligent people making poor grades in school and vice versa.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by coruso(m): 7:37pm On Nov 29, 2014
She not having opportunity to go to school, doesn't mean she is not intelligent get it right.
AlphaDibia:

I just have my biochemistry and cell\molecular biology textbooks. But say I didn't have those books, I'd still say that from mere observation, intelligence is a learned behavior. Ex: My great great grandma couldnt spell her name nor count, she had no education of sorts, be it school or life but guess what? She raised 8 men and women who eventually became professors, doctors, teahers, engineers. I can't trust these researchers at times tho. After all, they were the ones who claim that the African man's brains were inferior to the white counterparts which is why we have have so much problems in Africa
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by tpia6: 7:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
@ topic

like i pointed out before, its sheer laziness on the part of parents to assume intelligence should be based solely on genes.

the bible says train up a child the way he should go.

you are supposed to identify your child's abilities and help nurture him or her along the path you want them to go.

for example, most sports people were exposed to their game at a very early age by their parents- this factor helped them develop an affinity for it and to perform well.

likewise you have many nigerian celebrities introducing their children to showbiz while young- this is so they can gain experience and have an edge over the competition.

but when it comes to intelligence, we are waiting for "genes" to kick in?

if the men took some time out of their busy skirt chasing schedules (upholding their own version of what they call "african culture" ) , and the women reduced their "gossip time, gbeborun time", and used some of that allotted slot for their kids, you'd see the difference.

and no, you do not have to be a genius to teach your underaged child!

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Jimmyo3(m): 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
It comes from the father,mother,gateman,gardener,dog,cow,goat etc.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by soonest(f): 8:41pm On Nov 29, 2014
It's mainly maternal. It's a known fact that dull women raise dull children
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by matrixme(m): 8:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
rufdyamond:

Bro I disagree with u cos take for example crossing between a black and a white which produces(halfcaste/black ameerican) dat has been proved to be the bast human specie...some factors are dorminat for example the color and hair from the white parent and stuffs like nose shape and physical strenght from the black parent....my brother nt all dem writers re better dan u, so I think ur own personal research via experience matters most...
how can you as an enlightened individual bring a beer palour opinion to the internet? Saying that half caste is a better human species in the 21st century is so..... By the way, I did not share a speculation. Chrichton always mixes facts with fantasy. I could email you the novel if you wish!
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by matrixme(m): 8:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by teneeorlah: 9:13pm On Nov 29, 2014
Well for me, the fear of poverty brot out the genius in me ioooo. I was determined (*in kanu's voice) to get out of it by force ooooo. grin . If pikin taste real poverty ehn hin brain go set one tym! grin . Ask basket mouth and I go dye.

On a more serious note I believe both parents have a lot to contribute and environmental factors also. The deal here is that the way each child processes an environmental factor varies. Some rich kids get all the 'help' needed and still remain dull prolly cos They dnt see d need to work hard since they av got everything they need while some other rich kid use that same 'help' to give himself an edge in the playing field.

Some kids from very poor backgrounds see 'poverty ' as a limitation and they keep wallowing in it while another kid frm that same background uses it as a motivating factor(like moi) grin
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by gracile(f): 9:25pm On Nov 29, 2014
wow! really intriguing and educative comments i must say..
Nevertheless, from the information I've garnered from here mostly after been frustrated from the contradictions and controversies i got from looking this topic up in d net, I'll still stand on my initial hypothesis..
Since, it has been found that breast milk increases IQ 6 times, it is only plausible for one to conclude already that the mother has a huge role to in her child's cognitive ability
however, the ish of environmental, accessibility to information, socio-economic status as added advantages still stands only that of the genes remain contigent and vague to me...
@Mods, front page please.. gracias!
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 29, 2014
hakeem4:
It is o
Pretty lady

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by AlphaDibia(m): 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
satowind:
2nd Semester Exams For All Departments

Course: Love Mathematics.
Course code: LMS111
All questions carry equal marks.
Time allowed: 2hrs, 30 minutes.

1. If a girl is in love for 10 years and at the end, the guy breaks up with her, WHAT is the formula for calculating such love and time wasted?

2. As a guy, you dated more than 7 chicks at a time. Using the Almighty Formula, CALCULATE the expenses and loss in handling all of them?

3. In not more than 10 pages, STATE the difference between Orobo (fat) girls and Lekpa (skinny) girls.

4. With the aid of a labelled diagram, DRAW and EXPLAIN the term "Ukwu".

(Question 5- For girls only)
5. Using Laws of indices, CALCULATE the disappearance of your boyfriend whenever you demand for an iPhone 6.

(Question 6- For boys only.)
6. You send an airtime worth #1500 to your girlfriend and she sends you a 'Please call me I Love You' text.
CALCULATE the profit and Loss of the airtime being sent and use the proportional ratio to attain the equation.

7. You broke up with your girl because of Christmas gifts, etc. Using quadratic equation, CALCULATE how long it'll take you to get her back in January.

8. As a guy, you are dating other people's sister, but you don't want any other guy to date your sister. CALCULATE the percentage of your foolish and wicked behaviour. (Take pie =3.14)

9. When you check a Facebook profile, 99% of guys are single as their marital status states, and 100% of the girls are dating, engaged, in a relationship or married. BRIEFLY explain who they are all dating in not less than two sentences.

N/B- Attempt all question to avoid carry-over!

GOODLUCK!

Bros you are very wicked for setting this hard examination. I no even come with biro. Eehm please, who has a fooscap sheet and a number 2 pensuwa?
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by AlphaDibia(m): 10:09pm On Nov 29, 2014
ShakurM:
haha, I catch am, na Chelsea guys dey get 2mouth grin

Hahaha. Mad man. No be us get best record for Premier League? Why I no go make mouth?
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by dy27(m): 10:23pm On Nov 29, 2014
I.Q is a gift.I have a colleague back then whose parents are farmers. The guy was the best from junior class to senior class,while his younger sister repeat class at almost every stage.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sebali: 11:40pm On Nov 29, 2014
i learnt 70% is from d mother
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sebali: 11:40pm On Nov 29, 2014
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sebali: 11:42pm On Nov 29, 2014
lets gt sometin straight dere is difference btw intelligence.....and acquired intelligence(knowledge).
Intelligence comes natural( good food only gives a boost odawise children of d high and mighty wud have bin d smartest on earth) with individual strength and weakness in different aspect of life. Acquired intelligence(knowledge) is were environmental and oda factors come in.
Case study my romee while in sch.....we went to d same pako sec. sch.....my papa evn gt moni pass his single mother( his fada is late), he reads mainly during exam periods yet e go pass pass all of us wen one kill ourself with night class......again he always copy assignment cos he barely attends class bt wen nobody around(wen go class) or oda class mate cant get d solution to an assignment, he springs into action and beliv me if doesn't gt it most probably nobody in his class would.

If i was as unserious as him while in skul na 3rd class or pass i 4 tak leave skul.
HE WAS NATURALLY INTELLIGENT( at least wen it comes to science related subjects)

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:29am On Nov 30, 2014
IQ doesn't exist so your question can't b answered.
Everything we know is/was learned so there's no genetic link in the ability to give back what you learned and processed.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:37am On Nov 30, 2014
Knowledge/intelligence whatever you decide to call it is not genetic, it is acquired.

A Nigerian has better chance to know about Nigeria and African history, customs ,etc than let say a Russian, it doesn't make the Russian stupid or more stupid and vice versa
The Same way Jews ,Africans and Asians were considered stupid or less intelligent persons with poor IQ scores yet today they constitute the intelligentsia of America and the bulk of ivy league students ...we found out that the questions asked were on European arts ,culture ,society etc ..something they have never been around. In few words IQ scores only represent your ability to memorize stuffd and then answers to questions about those stuffs. If you have never studied economics or mathematics, you will score poorly in maths or Economic IQ tests..still you ain't stupid . IQ has already been debunked
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Elxandre(m): 1:06am On Nov 30, 2014
Kingrapha:

tell dat to people who grew up in poor background and bad learning environment yet are very brainy

reason to this if cancer is hereditary and has to do with the growth of cells..
then it is very possible for increased brain cell mitosis to be inherited either from father or mother

p.s einstien had no kids.......
Einstein had kids!!!
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Kidstell: 1:07am On Nov 30, 2014
Great IQ does not mean you will be a first class. It is a score that attempts to estimate how smart or fast or adptive a person can be especially in strange events
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 1:28am On Nov 30, 2014
Stillfire:
Brilliant topic!
I've looked into some research papers, and the papers point to intelligence being X-linked and on chromosome 7. When we say X-linked traits, it means boys would definitely get that trait from their mother, because the mother would donate the X while the father the Y. For girls (XX), you get one X from the father and the other X from the mother. But one of the X's in girls would have to be inactivated, I don't think research has been able to identify which X would be inactivated.

Don't know if you guys have access to these links

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1016917/pdf/jmedgene00032-0071a.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.go.libproxy.wakehealth.edu/pmc/articles/PMC3933868/

A systems biology approach to identify intelligence quotient score-related genomic regions, and pathways relevant to potential therapeutic treatments.
Zhao M1, Kong L1, Qu H2.
Author information
Abstract
Although the intelligence quotient (IQ) is the most popular intelligence test in the world, little is known about the underlying biological mechanisms that lead to the differences in human. To improve our understanding of cognitive processes and identify potential biomarkers, we conducted a comprehensive investigation of 158 IQ-related genes selected from the literature. A genomic distribution analysis demonstrated that IQ-related genes were enriched in seven regions of chromosome 7 and the X chromosome. In addition, these genes were enriched in target lists of seven transcription factors and sixteen microRNAs. Using a network-based approach, we further reconstructed an IQ-related pathway from known human pathway interaction data. Based on this reconstructed pathway, we incorporated enriched drugs and described the importance of dopamine and norepinephrine systems in IQ-related biological process. These findings not only reveal several testable genes and processes related to IQ scores, but also have potential therapeutic implications for IQ-related mental disorders.

Results
IQ-related genes are enriched in multiple regions of chromosomes 7 and X

To address the genetic complexity of IQ score, we developed IQdb (http://iqdb.cbi.pku.edu.cn.go.libproxy.wakehealth.edu), a publicly available database for exploring IQ-associated human genes7. In IQdb, 158 experimentally verified genes from the literature serve as the core dataset, among which approximately 16% of the IQ-related genes are located on X chromosome. It is reported that only 3.4% of all human genes belong to X chromosome . The obvious contrast may indicate that the IQ-related genes are over-represented on X chromosome. To clarify in more detailed which genomic regions contain greater numbers of IQ-related genes, we adopted a hypergeometric test based on the gene content of each cytoband on the human genome. The further enrichment analysis identified 10 genomic regions with significantly larger amount of IQ-related genes. Among 10 regions, 4 belong to X chromosome, including Xp, Xq, Xq28, and Xp11. A previous gene expression study showed that the genes on X chromosome are more likely to express in brain regions and reproductive tissues13. Our results may be consistent with the idea that genes on X chromosome may be associated with the quantitative IQ score12. Since X chromosome is important to sexual differentiation, the enrichment of IQ-related genes on X chromosome may provide an incentive to explore differences in the IQ scores between the sexes14,15.

Previous studies have identified 46 genomic regions involved in IQ using a linkage approach7. Though none of these regions are located on X chromosome, six of them are from chromosome 7 in humans (13.04%). Among the ten genomic regions with enriched IQ-related genes, six are not on X chromosome, including 7q, 7q11, 7q31, 8p12, 15q14, and17p13. Except for 8p1216, none of these genomic regions overlap with the genomic regions in the prior linkage studies. Three of six regions are from chromosome 7, accounting for 8.86% of the 158 IQ-related genes (Table 1). One previous study showed that 7q31–36 may be linked to verbal IQ based on 361 Australian and Dutch twins17. Our results may uncover complementary roles of the genes on chromosome 7 in general intelligence.

Nice ....since its is linked to the X, which re dorminat for women den that states the obvious
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 1:51am On Nov 30, 2014
matrixme:

how can you as an enlightened individual bring a beer palour opinion to the internet? Saying that half caste is a better human species in the 21st century is so..... By the way, I did not share a speculation. Chrichton always mixes facts with fantasy. I could email you the novel if you wish!
I wish u read what u wrote frm a nuetral point b4 u sent then u wud ve ralized dat if mone was a beer parlour urs was frm a kai kai shop...u don't need to display ur age b4 correcting me..u faulted me yet u didn't correct me yurs...paste ur chrichton NOVEL(u can imagine) here......and pls don't quote me go and make rsearch or read up here cos sum pple ve made very good contributions...holding a novelist contribution as bases on a strong science discussion tells the worst about ur location dan mine, cos if ur point states mine is baseless den I wonder if urs was even looked at b4 being considered outright basless...where ever the case is the main point of me quoting u gently is to state to u that some re dorminat...u cud correct me if am wrong without insulting ursef...u insult ursef yet u re wrong
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 1:56am On Nov 30, 2014
Kidstell:
Great IQ does not mean you will be a first class. It is a score that attempts to estimate how smart or fast or adptive a person can be especially in strange events
Thanks u jare and even at that u still ve to develop it ursef or with assistance,cos if u leave it dormant den sorry....
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by ShakurM(m): 9:29am On Nov 30, 2014
AlphaDibia:

Hahaha. Mad man. No be us get best record for Premier League? Why I no go make mouth?
u guys dey craze gan o yesterday, y una no win..i carry una now embarassed
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 30, 2014
We can say many things and if you ask me, i inherited mine through personal study
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by gracile(f): 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
Everything we know is/was learned so there's no genetic link in the ability to give back what you learned and processed.
how can u say IQ doesn't exist that claim is not valid o
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by redsun(m): 12:51pm On Nov 30, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
Everything we know is/was learned so there's no genetic link in the ability to give back what you learned and processedd.

There is. The immediate environment a child is brought up somewhat determines the child's mental dispositions in life. They tend to copy what they see,hear and feel,emotions.IQ is more nurture than gene,although it might seem more of genetic when the process continues unhindered from generation to generation.

If you take prince George of the royal winsor today and put him among the bushmen of Kalahari,he is just going to grow up hunting and gathering,despite the fact that he is of so-called royal genetic line.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by gracile(f): 1:03pm On Nov 30, 2014
rufdyamond:

Nice ....since its is linked to the X, which re dorminat for women den that states the obvious
seconded!
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 30, 2014
gracile:
Please, I need the biochemistry, medical, biology students and those in associated fields in the house to help me throw more light on this

I browsed it earlier but I'm not satisfied with the results I got.

Your comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.
IQ is the result of NATURE + NURTURE.

Dont allow Americans to mislead you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LAUTECH Suspends Certificate Of Graduate Who Claimed A Lecturer Victimised Him / Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption / Some Things You Will Surely Find In Male Hostels.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.