Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. (2233 Views)

The Words Of An Igbo Retired Army officer Who Was Buhari`s School Mate / Naval Officer Who Died While Fighting Boko Haram Insurgents Buried / Ferguson Shooting: Officer Wilson Quits Police Force After Threats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by p3ndy79: 6:34am On Nov 30, 2014
US police officer who shot teenager resigns

Darren Wilson's shooting of Michael Brown sparked fury in the town of Ferguson and a new race debate in the US.

The white police officer who shot black teenager Michael Brown dead has resigned, nearly four months after the confrontation that fueled protests in the US city of St Louis and across the country.

Darren Wilson had been on administrative leave since the August 9 shooting.

Darren Wilson's resignation has been widely anticipated. 

Still, it's likely that those in Ferguson who've been angered that Wilson wasn't indicted will welcome his resignation.

It's almost impossible to imagine him as a police officer patrolling a community that believes he's guilty of at least the wrongful death of Michael Brown.

Civil rights activists have been calling for protests to focus now on changes in Missouri state law to restrict the use of deadly force by police and to explicitly outlaw racial profiling by officers.

That's what marchers are calling for as they make their way 190km from Ferguson to the state capital Jefferson city over the next week.

His resignation was announced Saturday by one of his lawyers, Neil Bruntrager, the Associated Press news agency and local newspaper the St Louis Dispatch reported.

Bruntrager said the resignation was effective immediately.

"I, Darren Wilson, hereby resign my commission as a police officer with the City of Ferguson effective immediately," the Dispatch newspaper quoted Wison's resignation letter as saying on its website.

"I have been told that my continued employment may put the residents and police officers of the City of Ferguson at risk, which is a circumstance that I cannot allow." 

A grand jury spent more than three months reviewing evidence in the case before this week declining to issue any charges against the 28-year-old.

He told jurors that he feared for his life when Brown hit him and grabbed for his gun.

The US Justice Department is still conducting a civil rights investigation into the shooting and a separate probe of police department practices.

The shooting struck up a national debate about race and police power.

'Black lives matter'

After the shooting, Wilson spent months in hiding and made no public statements. He broke his silence after the grand jury decision, telling ABC News that he could not have done anything differently in the encounter with Brown.

Wilson said he has a clean conscience because "I know I did my job right."

Brown's shooting was the first time he fired his gun on the job, he said. Asked whether the encounter would have unfolded the same way if Brown had been white, Wilson said yes.

Activists from Ferguson on Saturday began a 190km march to the Missouri state capital to protest the killing.

The seven-day march to Jefferson City, organised by the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People, began with more than 150 people setting out from the Canfield Green Apartments, where 18-year-old Brown was killed.

The NAACP is calling for a reform of police practices, a new police chief in Ferguson and a national law to prevent racial profiling by police.

The "Journey for Justice," which is reminiscent of the civil rights marches of the 1960s, began with some people singing the decades-old protest song "We Shall Overcome."

Participants carried signs proclaiming "Black Lives Matter" and "Equality Now!"

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/2014112922539104644
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by p3ndy79: 6:46am On Nov 30, 2014
The moral of the story, anything and everything goes if the people keep mute and remain cowardly quiet in the face of injustice and racial profiling.

Nigerians let us be aware of the power of the people. Sovereignty lies solely with the people and not the police, the military or politicians.

Let's demand what we want and we will see the change we desire.

3 Likes

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by Oklander: 6:55am On Nov 30, 2014
If this had happened in Russia, the story would be different, America's news media would carry it on their head, fueling it the more and demonizing Russia, showing and convincing the world how racists Russia is. #USA,FuckingHypocriticalBunchOfRacists.

3 Likes

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by SeverusSnape(m): 6:55am On Nov 30, 2014
I keep asking myself why this man was not given a jail term at least.

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by p3ndy79: 7:15am On Nov 30, 2014
SeverusSnape:
I keep asking myself why this man was not given a jail term at least.

He is not even charged. State Prosecutor believes he did the right thing and that's the reason for the protest and violence.

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by p3ndy79: 7:18am On Nov 30, 2014
Oklander:
If this had happened in Russia, the story would be different, America's news media would carry it on their head, fueling it the more and demonizing Russia, showing and convincing the world how racists Russia is. #USA,FuckingHypocriticalBunchOfRacists.

Forget Russia, just assume it is in Iran or Zimbabwe and the way they will incite and colour the story to ensure an attempt at regime change in those countries.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by SeverusSnape(m): 7:22am On Nov 30, 2014
p3ndy79:

He is not even charged. State Prosecutor believes he did the right thing and that's the reason for the protest and violence.
And the US prides it's self as the home of civil and human rights.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by p3ndy79: 7:41am On Nov 30, 2014
SeverusSnape:

And the US prides it's self as the home of civil and human rights.

Well it is still within the right of Darren wilson. The issue is about the bias and clear onesidedness of the state prosecutor who gave a press conference after the shooting and was attacking the person of the victim hours after he was shot dead.

Imagine the same person having the sole right to present evidence and demand prosecution from a grand jury. He has consistently shown support to the policeman and hence he wasn't supposed to be given the sole right to present the case before the grand jury at least let an indepedent prosecutor review the case or have an attorney of the brown family be part of the procedure.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:41am On Nov 30, 2014
This man's action led to the death of a teenager, he resigned; but in Nigeria Abba Moro whose action (or inaction?) led to the death of about 15 people, after taking 1000 naira each from them, is still in government. I always wonder how Africans always conclude that we hold morality in high esteem. Is morality just about not wearing indecent cloths?

2 Likes

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by SeverusSnape(m): 8:08am On Nov 30, 2014
p3ndy79:

Well it is still within the right of Darren wilson. The issue is about the bias and clear onesidedness of the state prosecutor who gave a press conference after the shooting and was attacking the person of the victim hours after he was shot dead.

Imagine the same person having the sole right to present evidence and demand prosecution from a grand jury. He has consistently shown support to the policeman and hence he wasn't supposed to be given the sole right to present the case before the grand jury at least let an indepedent prosecutor review the case or have an attorney of the brown family be part of the procedure.
hmmmm... I get the point now, it's so unfortunate that things had to go this way, The family of Brown has got to appeal against this ruling. once again, may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 8:22am On Nov 30, 2014
SeverusSnape:

hmmmm... I get the point now, it's so unfortunate that things had to go this way, The family of Brown has got to appeal against this ruling. once again, may his soul rest in peace.

You cant appeal when there's no indictment. And already they have ruled out another grand jury, except an independent audit is ordered, the case is assumed closed.

The brown's can only seek criminal conviction of the ex policeman now or if the president orders the federal attorney to set up another inquiry which will cause the Democratic Party more enemies.

It is a tough case and a tough call.

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by drkay003: 8:25am On Nov 30, 2014

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by SeverusSnape(m): 8:30am On Nov 30, 2014
pendy179:

You cant appeal when there's no indictment. And already they have ruled out another grand jury, except an independent audit is ordered, the case is assumed closed.

The brown's can only seek criminal conviction of the ex policeman now or if the president orders the federal attorney to set up another inquiry which will cause the Democratic Party more enemies.

It is a tough case and a tough call.
Whoa!....This is complicated indeed. I rest my case, Thanks for the analysis, I'm so grateful.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 8:33am On Nov 30, 2014
SeverusSnape:

Whoa!....This is complicated indeed. I rest my case, Thanks for the analysis, I'm so grateful.

You welcome
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by tirex(m): 8:35am On Nov 30, 2014
No one is asking why brown went for the officer's gun, i'm nt in support of his shooting...but Brown had it coming...why didnt he just obey the officer..
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 8:44am On Nov 30, 2014
tirex:
No one is asking why brown went for the officer's gun, i'm nt in support of his shooting...but Brown had it coming...why didnt he just obey the officer..

That's the version of the officer, I don't know if there was any witness that corroborated that version, but witness account said he was running away from the policeman and already had his hands in the air. He was not alone, a friend was with him. People who lived closely saw the event unfold.

Michael brown was a bully no doubt but does that warrant summary execution, the action of the police was about 2 black guys walking on the street and he asked them to get off the road, how does that lead to the shooting to death of one of the two, that is what a grand jury is all about finding out.

Forget the video of him in the shop, it had nothing to do with his death.

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2014
If the policeman was a muslim they would have branded him a terrorist.

If the policeman was a black that killed white, all hell would have been let loosed.

Anyway, whether they kill themselves in ferguson or Moyes is not the business of a Nigerian that is unfortunate with living by the pdp rules.

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by Truckpusher(m): 8:47am On Nov 30, 2014
barcanista:

If the policeman was a black that killed white, all hell would have been let loosed.

Anyway, whether they kill themselves in ferguson or Moyes its not the business of a Nigerian that is unfortunate with living by the pdp rules.
Cry me a river,boy.

You losing it bro ,you losing it well. tongue
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by dein77(m): 8:51am On Nov 30, 2014
p3ndy79:
The moral of the story, anything and everything goes if the people keep mute and remain cowardly quiet in the face of injustice and racial profiling.

Nigerians let us be aware of the power of the people. Sovereignty lies solely with the people and not the police, the military or politicians.

With the above comment of yours, I hadn't visited this thread in vain.

How corrupt a government becomes, depends on the attitude of the people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 8:52am On Nov 30, 2014
barcanista:

Anyway, whether they kill themselves in ferguson or Moyes is not the business of a Nigerian that is unfortunate with living by the pdp rules.

Bro if na PDP police , forget the police man self no.go face indictment not to talk of resigning.

The IG still dey there, mbu still dey, Moro still dey.

Ferguson PD and the locals have history of racially induced violence. I think the Michael brown's case was the tipping point.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 8:58am On Nov 30, 2014
dein77:

With the above comment of yours, I hadn't visited this thread in vain.

How corrupt a government becomes, depends on the attitude of the people.

That's the reality bruv, thanks for the compliment.

The people did it in Burkina Faso, did it in Egypt, did it in Libya, did it in Tunisia, did it in Ukraine.

Do you wonder why there is still war in Libya and Ukraine? It is Becos the people's revolution was hijacked by some super powers with their own agenda.

Look at Burkina Faso today there is peace, look at Tunisia they have done about 3 elections yet their country is not at war. But Egypt, Ukraine, Libya AND Syria won't know peace because some powers that be have hijacked the popular wish and aspiration of the people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 30, 2014
pendy179:

Bro if na PDP police , forget the police man self no.go face indictment not to talk of resigning.

The IG still dey there, mbu still dey, Moro still dey.

Ferguson PD and the locals have history of racially induced violence. I think the Michael brown's case was the tipping point.

We don't have a pÓlice force in nigeria. What we have is the militia wing of the PDP "acting" as Police force, so what do you expect from the Inspector General of PDP or from any of his subordinates?

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by tirex(m): 9:01am On Nov 30, 2014
pendy179:

That's the version of the officer, I don't know if there was any witness that corroborated that version, but witness account said he was running away from the policeman and already had his hands in the air. He was not alone, a friend was with him. People who lived closely saw the event unfold.

Michael brown was a bully no doubt but does that warrant summary execution, the action of the police was about 2 black guys walking on the street and he asked them to get off the road, how does that lead to the shooting to death of one of the two, that is what a grand jury is all about finding out.

Forget the video of him in the shop, it had nothing to do with his death.

hmn.....ok...A part of me still thinks this isnt racial...
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by dein77(m): 9:04am On Nov 30, 2014
pendy179:

That's the reality bruv, thanks for the compliment.

The people did it in Burkina Faso, did it in Egypt, did it in Libya, did it in Tunisia, did it in Ukraine.

Do you wonder why there is still war in Libya and Ukraine? It is Becos the people's revolution was hijacked by some super powers with their own agenda.

Look at Burkina Faso today there is peace, look at Tunisia they have done about 3 elections yet their country is not at war. But Egypt, Ukraine, Libya AND Syria won't know peace because some powers that be have hijacked the popular wish and aspiration of the people.

I've been here for years. I'm proud to have read those comments of yours. I ask in thee for a friend.

When the thought patterns of two or more people are congrous, they become friends right away.

Thanks for your dispassionate analyses of events seeming so complex for some of us. U made them simple and clear.

Nice meeting you here.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by Nobody: 9:34am On Nov 30, 2014
Oklander:

What is your own problem..hating USA over RUSSIA...

Don't you have enough on your plate already with boko haram? Hian!
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by Oklander: 10:10am On Nov 30, 2014
soe:

What is your own problem..hating USA over RUSSIA...

Don't you have enough on your plate already with boko haram? Hian!
oga, what is your own problem with that?
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 12:22pm On Nov 30, 2014
dein77:

I've been here for years. I'm proud to have read those comments of yours. I ask in thee for a friend.

When the thought patterns of two or more people are congrous, they become friends right away.

Thanks for your dispassionate analyses of events seeming so complex for some of us. U made them simple and clear.

Nice meeting you here.

The pleasure is all mine. Nice meeting you too. The world will be a better place if we all do our part and play our roles

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2014
tirex:

hmn.....ok...A part of me still thinks this isnt racial...

Ferguson has history of racial violence and profiling by members of the white populated police department.

Once visited a college friend there some years back when he stayed there, you will see racism in the ways and life of the people there. The weekend I spent with his family during the thanksgiving was an eyeopener back then and you will see racism and class discrimination in the ways and life of the people living in the area.

The whites live in an upscale area of st. Louis and the African Americans despite dominating Ferguson are mostly ruled by white power structures from the local police unit to the city hall.

Whites who stay in Ferguson have mostly move out cause of the racial setup and lack of welcome.

Not easy ruling out racism in this case but then only God knew what was going on in the head of Darren Wilson.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by PhockPhockMan: 12:39pm On Nov 30, 2014
p3ndy79:

I knew you opened this thread for sake of mischief.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by dein77(m): 12:44pm On Nov 30, 2014
pendy179:

The pleasure is all mine. Nice meeting you too. The world will be a better place if we all do our part and play our roles

Indeed.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by pendy179: 12:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
I knew you opened this thread for sake of mischief.

If you've no better thing to do kindly get off my mention mbok.

What's the mischief here? Can you please tell me the mischief behind the thread.
Re: Ferguson Shooting!! Officer Who Shot Micheal Brown Resigns. by PhockPhockMan: 12:54pm On Nov 30, 2014
pendy179:

If you've no better thing to do kindly get off my mention mbok.

What's the mischief here? Can you please tell me the mischief behind the thread.
Sharaaaaaaaap, can't you you discuss an issue without being mischievous? Why trying to railroad an American issue to Nigeria. Abeg comot for road.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car crash On Ikorodu Road That Family Of 5 Survived (photos) / Give One Reason Why You Will Not Vote For GEJ / APC Is Planning To Hack INEC Computers, Says DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.