Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance (7116 Views)

Design An Anti-Tithe Tract for £50 / Anti-tithe Churches / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 3:01am On Dec 01, 2014
I doubt tht most proponents of no tithing are sincere. Their motive is about wat they can keep back. It's not about really wanting to know and walk in the truth.
Even if it was explicitly spelled out ,tht christians shud tithe most will still not tithe.
God sees ur hearts just come out straight and state ur true stance. You don't wanna tithe cuz you love your money more than God.

In old testament, you could hate ur enemy (law) it was legal and easier.
In the NT, you are to love youe enemies (really harder).

In d OT you cud divorce your wife at a whim, in the NT the only grounds for divorce is adultery (harder)
the list goes on.
So if in the OT it was 10% how much wud it be in d NT?
Anti-tithers imply that it shud be less and optional.

Fact, anti tithers dont wanna tithe cuz they LOVE THEIR MONEY MORE!!

Jesus asked Peter "Loveth these more than these (material things. Fish) "

if you really believe the tithe is of d OT, and done away with, then consistently outgive to God more thn those under the old covent did because u're operating under a higher more powerful covenant.

Just think, would God lead those under an inferior covenant to give 10% but in d better covenant lead you to give less and infrequently?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by flourishG(m): 3:05am On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:
I doubt tht most proponents of no tithing are sincere. Their motive is about wat they can keep back. It's not about really wanting to know and walk in the truth.
Even if it was explicitly spelled out ,tht christians shud tithe most will still not tithe.
God sees ur hearts just come out straight and state ur true stance. You don't wanna tithe cuz you love your money more than God.

In d OT you cud divorce your wife at a whim, in the NT the only grounds for divorce is adultery (harder)
the list goes on.

if you really believe the tithe is of d OT, and done away with, then consistently outgive to God more thn those under the old covent did because u're operating under a higher more powerful covenant.

Just think, would God lead those under an inferior covenant to give 10% but in d better covenant lead you to give less and infrequently?
What nonsense u talking about dude?

6 Likes

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Nobody: 3:55am On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

there are two reasons why i am anti-tithe...

1. it is unbiblical as tithing is part of the law. If you note, there is no evidence for tithing in the new testament.
2. Tithes unfortunately have become the tool by which churches have become financial empires benefiting just one man - the GO. This is contrary to how the apostles taught us in Acts 4.

5 Likes

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Nobody: 4:27am On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

the list goes on.

The bold face shows you don't know the scriptures or you know little. Maybe, that is why you are easily deceived by these tithe-obsessed pastors.

Anti-tithers here have very strong support for there point that I don't even contribute much to there stand. Reason being that they have strong unbeatable argument.

The "NT" is so clear on that point, give voluntarily what you can, not tenth.

5 Likes

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Nobody: 4:32am On Dec 01, 2014
2 Cor 9 summarizes it all for me in the New Testament

6Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9As it is written:“They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor;
their righteousness endures forever.”

James 1:27King James Version (KJV)

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Preachers won't even tell you about giving to the poor in the church ,they would rather you give to them to buy jets and build edifices for themselves.I don't spend my money foolishly.
The Bible calls giving to the downtrodden ,the widows and the orphans as pure undefiled religion.It is more important to me than any manipulative tithing message.Rather than give $100 to a pastor already living in opulence,I will give it to a poor sister struggling day by day.rather than send a penny to a preacher riding jets and preaching on fancy stages to thousands I will send it to a struggling evangelist in the trenches delivering people from the jaws of darkness but struggling to keep food on his table or a minister taking care of orphans and widows ostracized by society.

3 Likes

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by lastmessenger: 6:07am On Dec 01, 2014
The op is a brainwashed self-absorbed mugu. This is the most stupid thing I have ever red here.personally i was a tither before I heard a well known preacher make a statement that changed my stance.
Another thing that made me curious is how the preachers were so much emphasizing on tithing. Nobody talk about give to the poor, a visit to the fatherless which Jesus himself confirmed that the act itself comes with eternal reward.
Op you are ignorant and your logic does not hold water.

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by PastorKun(m): 9:58am On Dec 01, 2014
@OP
On the contrary it is pro tithe arguments that are motivated by greed, spirit of mamon and ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 12:41pm On Dec 01, 2014
To those of u saying tithing is part of the law, dyu you dedicate children , things, or marry couples in your churches?
Because those things are OT and hence done away with in the NT.

Y drag things in the OT into a new covenant. The new covenant abrogates the old practices of the Old automatically, includng marraige!
Dyu quote OT verses like, "It is not good for man to be alone"
"for these reason shall a man leave his father and mother and ... "

it's only in money issues u know law!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 12:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
lastmessenger:
The op is a brainwashed self-absorbed mugu. This is the most stupid thing I have ever red here.personally i was a tither before I heard a well known preacher make a statement that changed my stance.
Another thing that made me curious is how the preachers were so much emphasizing on tithing. Nobody talk about give to the poor, a visit to the fatherless which Jesus himself confirmed that the act itself comes with eternal reward.
Op you are ignorant and your logic does not hold water.

you didnt know d bible stand on d matter thts y a possibly misguided comment by a man swayed you. How dyu know u are in d clear on other scriptural issues ?

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 12:53pm On Dec 01, 2014
babyosisi:
2 Cor 9 summarizes it all for me in the New Testament

Preachers won't even tell you about giving to the poor in the church ,they would rather you give to them to buy jets and build edifices for themselves.I don't spend my money foolishly.
The Bible calls giving to the downtrodden ,the widows and the orphans as pure undefiled religion.It is more important to me than any manipulative tithing message.Rather than give $100 to a pastor already living in opulence,I will give it to a poor sister struggling day by day.rather than send a penny to a preacher riding jets and preaching on fancy stages to thousands I will send it to a struggling evangelist in the trenches delivering people from the jaws of darkness but struggling to keep food on his table or a minister taking care of orphans and widows ostracized by society.

how does ur verse negate tithing?
That verse is about sowing with the implying that the sower can hold back or refuse to "sow".
It explicitly shows this is voluntary and variable outflow by the giver.
But the tithe is a fixed amount, you dont "sow" it.
The word Jesus used in matth 23v23 is "pay" inmplying tht is an obligatory payment.
Two, in the OT, in malachi, God distinguish the two kind of outflows by calling one an "offering" and the other a "tithe".
He doesnt lump both together as one.
You are applying a verse on offering to tithe.

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 1:03pm On Dec 01, 2014
davidylan:

there are two reasons why i am anti-tithe...

1. it is unbiblical as tithing is part of the law. If you note, there is no evidence for tithing in the new testament.
2. Tithes unfortunately have become the tool by which churches have become financial empires benefiting just one man - the GO. This is contrary to how the apostles taught us in Acts 4.

there's nobody here who can categorily state wen d dispensation of d law began.
Neither can you guys prove scripturally, tht tithing was handed down thru the law so the response is just reflexive defenses to keep tht money in.
Its a psychological mechanism to justify a behaviour.

If a large pool of members pay tithe, you know the church coffers will run into huge amounts.
How do most churches use this monies? Usually embezzle em,like judas, but how the money is used or misused doesnt justify disobedience.
If the pastor wants to buy 10 jets ,thts his own, you're own is to obey God to whom you'll give account at d end of the day.
This is d cold hard truth.
An alternative is to change churches.
Adam tried to justify his disobedience by blaming his wife, tht didnt cut it with God.

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by dein77(m): 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2014
U just strengthened my stance that tithing belongs to the Old Testament.

I thank God for the Bible.

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by dein77(m): 1:10pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

there's nobody here who can categorily state wen d dispensation of d law began.
Neither can you guys prove scripturally, tht tithing was handed down thru the law so the response is just reflexive defenses to keep tht money in.
Its a psychological mechanism to justify a behaviour.

If a large pool of members pay tithe, you know the church coffers will run into huge amounts.
How do most churches use this monies? Usually embezzle em,like judas, but how the money is used or misused doesnt justify disobedience.
If the pastor wants to buy 10 jets ,thts his own, you're own is to obey God to whom you'll give account at d end of the day.
This is d cold hard truth.
An alternative is to change churches.
Adam tried to justify his disobedience by blaming his wife, tht didnt cut it with God.

I don't even tithe. ......I'm a Christian, and I won't stand the Great White Throne judgment.

I simply give cheerfully.
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Goshen360(m): 1:19pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:
To those of u saying tithing is part of the law, dyu you dedicate children , things, or marry couples in your churches?
Because those things are OT and hence done away with in the NT.

Y drag things in the OT into a new covenant. The new covenant abrogates the old practices of the Old automatically, includng marraige!
Dyu quote OT verses like, "It is not good for man to be alone"
"for these reason shall a man leave his father and mother and ... "

it's only in money issues u know law!

There're more than 3 "covenant" in scriptures but mainly when we discuss, we refer to major 3. The Abrahamic covenant which tithe wasn't included in is an offshoot of the new covenant. The old covenant is of Israel compared to the new covenant of Christ. So, when we say old covenant, we're not refering to Genesis or covenant before the law but we're refering specifically to the covenant of the law with Israel - that covenant doesn't exist with the new covenant of Christ.
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by dorox(m): 1:36pm On Dec 01, 2014
@asamlimpo:
It is your greed that is preventing you from seeing the truth about the bible's stand on tithe.
As to the antitithers, how can you honestly expect a church employee to understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding it?

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by lastmessenger: 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

you didnt know d bible stand on d matter thts y a possibly misguided comment by a man swayed you. How dyu know u are in d clear on other scriptural issues ?
What bible portion justifies the New Testament church to pay tithe to thier pastors?
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

how does ur verse negate tithing?
That verse is about sowing with the implying that the sower can hold back or refuse to "sow".
It explicitly shows this is voluntary and variable outflow by the giver.
But the tithe is a fixed amount, you dont "sow" it.
The word Jesus used in matth 23v23 is "pay" inmplying tht is an obligatory payment.
Two, in the OT, in malachi, God distinguish the two kind of outflows by calling one an "offering" and the other a "tithe".
He doesnt lump both together as one.
You are applying a verse on offering to tithe.

Tithing is not of the new covenant ,giving is
Show me a teaching from Christ or any of the apostles including Paul to believers on tithing,you will see none
You can go ahead and tithe if you want to,remember that you are liable to keep the rest of the law by so doing
I am not under that bondage
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2014
dein77:

how did i do this?
The old testament isnt worthless in d new testament,not all of it.
So sayng because somthng is OT means it's done away is error.
Dyu know how many verses in the NT refer to the OT ?
Pauline epistles abound in this aspect and others.
Why would he do these,if OT scriptures were obsolete?

E.g.

Peter reminds readers to adhere to OT injunctions to watch their mouth if they want to see longer days..

Like i said, d issue is about tryng to give as little as possible while reaping as much as possible, tht's y selfsh folks are lookg for shortcuts.
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2014
dein77:

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 4:12pm On Dec 01, 2014
babyosisi:

Show me a teaching from Christ or any of the apostles including Paul to believers on tithing,you will see none
You can go ahead and tithe if you want to,remember that you are liable to keep the rest of the law by so doing

if tithing is under the law, then there's nowhere it wud appear before bf d law was given.
But this isnt d case.
Bf d law there was no commandnent not to kill, not to commit adultery.
Etc (by d way are u in bondage obeying this moral injunctions?
Is it okay to make graven images in the new covenant?
)
but there's no way you go thru d bible and find tithe originating within d law.
You're twisting scriptures as usual.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by dorox(m): 4:18pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

how did i do this?
The old testament isnt worthless in d new testament,not all of it.
So sayng because somthng is OT means it's done away is error.
Dyu know how many verses in the NT refer to the OT ?
Pauline epistles abound in this aspect and others.
Why would he do these,if OT scriptures were obsolete?

E.g.

Peter reminds readers to adhere to OT injunctions to watch their mouth if they want to see longer days..

Like i said, d issue is about tryng to give as little as possible while reaping as much as possible, tht's y selfsh folks are lookg for shortcuts.
By "give" I am sure you are refering to yourself and fellow pastors. What we give to our brothers and neighbours in need does not count if nothing touches your greedy hands.
Learn from apostle Paul. Go and find a regular job, it is very inconsiderate to offload not just the burden of your sustenance but of your needless ostentatious wants on people who struggle to meet their daily needs.
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by davien(m): 4:22pm On Dec 01, 2014
It's the same bible....yet it produces mutually exclusive beliefs... lol cheesy

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 4:29pm On Dec 01, 2014
babyosisi:

first, giving isnt new covenant or even oT.
Neither is d law of sowing and reaping.
Tithing is d honour of God, giving Him a portion to sanctify the rest.
The patraichs did it instinctively.
It is honorifc.
On the other hand the law of sowing and reaping was enacted at the creation of man, when God said as far the earth remains sowing and reaping wouldnt cease.
Is tht under the Law? No. Is it NT, no. So y dyu practice it?
Jesus commended tithing in matth 23 v23.

Is dedication of children,and things (houses cars etc ) obsolete? But its so OT? Y then dyu and anti tithers practice it? It's not in the NT.

For tithing in the NT, see the book of Hebrews 7.

Under the law, tithe was given to the levites. A tribe of priests who ministered full time.
But tht wasnt the origin of tithing. It predated d law.
The book on Hebrews talks about this.
Men gave tithe to human priests who were subject to death but NOW under the NT Christians tithe to our Great High Priest , Jesus Christ!
If you can't decipher this in the Hebrew 7, you're living in denial.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 4:29pm On Dec 01, 2014
babyosisi:

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 4:34pm On Dec 01, 2014
davien:
It's the same bible....yet it produces mutually exclusive beliefs... lol cheesy

If you dont "rightly divide the word of truth " you'll find urself in knots in certain areas.

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by davien(m): 4:39pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

If you dont "rightly divide the word of truth " you'll find urself in knots in certain areas.
So now tell me, is there a world where A is not A but Z?
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by CANTICLES: 4:46pm On Dec 01, 2014
@OP ........ Show me where Jesus and the Apostles Collect "Tithes" ??

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

first, giving isnt new covenant or even oT.
Neither is d law of sowing and reaping.
Tithing is d honour of God, giving Him a portion to sanctify the rest.
The patraichs did it instinctively.
It is honorifc.
On the other hand the law of sowing and reaping was enacted at the creation of man, when God said as far the earth remains sowing and reaping wouldnt cease.
Is tht under the Law? No. Is it NT, no. So y dyu practice it?
Jesus commended tithing in matth 23 v23.

Is dedication of children,and things (houses cars etc ) obsolete? But its so OT? Y then dyu and anti tithers practice it? It's not in the NT.

For tithing in the NT, see the book of Hebrews 7.

Under the law, tithe was given to the levites. A tribe of priests who ministered full time.
But tht wasnt the origin of tithing. It predated d law.
The book on Hebrews talks about this.
Men gave tithe to human priests who were subject to death but NOW under the NT Christians tithe to our Great High Priest , Jesus Christ!
If you can't decipher this in the Hebrew 7, you're living in denial.

I don't intend to win an argument when scripture is concerned
The lessons of the Bible come by revelation as the word of God comes alive as Rhema
It is not revealed by arguments

Under the law tithes were given to the Levites who in turn gave a tenth of what they received to the priests
The Levites received tithes because they had no other inheritance and no other means of livelihood
It was not voluntary,it was the law
There are no Levites today.

Secondly when a Jesus talked about tithes meh was addressing the Pharisees,Sadducees,hypocrites who think they can be saved by their religiosity.I am neither a Pharisee nor a Sadducee so I am not obligated by the laws they kept.

Thirdly tithes were instituted for Jews,Gentiles were not to pay tithes

Fourthly tithes were from the increase of the land or increase of they field.craftsmen and artisans didn't pay tithes

Filthy I never read of disciples paying tithes to Christ who walked with them daily,Jesus in all his preaching talked about giving and given to the poor,Paul preached about giving to the saints and to the work of God Tithing was never encouraged by this new dispensation.

The Bible says instead that if I decide to keep the law I am guilty of them all
Tithing is law,I am not required to keep the law.

Sixthly We have one record where Abraham gave a tenth to Melchizedek,not of his flock or the fruit of his garden but of the spoils of war.
I haven't waged any wars or plundered anybody .

I could go on and on
Anyone interested should pick up their BIble and study every verse on tithes and tithing.
Christians are not bound by it

When you talk about sowing and reaping and differentiating it from giving,it tells me you don't understand what you read.
Everything in life is about sowing and reaping
When a man sows a seed into a woman he reaps a child
You sow into your job,you reap a salary and promotions
You sow into a relationship,you reap harmony
Same way if you sow time,money and effort into the work of God,you reap a harvest of blessings,it has nothing to do with tithing

I am not talking theory I have practical examples I could share
God blesses us when we give to his work and to the poor
I give and encourage others to give according to what they have and according to the leading of his spirit which sometimes could be beyond what they can afford.
The burden is light ,please my brother don't make it heavy by legalism

2 Likes

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by asalimpo(m): 4:53pm On Dec 01, 2014
Goshen360:

There're more than 3 "covenant" in scriptures but mainly when we discuss, we refer to major 3. The Abrahamic covenant which tithe wasn't included in is an offshoot of the new covenant. The old covenant is of Israel compared to the new covenant of Christ. So, when we say old covenant, we're not refering to Genesis or covenant before the law but we're refering specifically to the covenant of the law with Israel - that covenant doesn't exist with the new covenant of Christ.

there's nothing like "covenant with the law"
a covenant is ratified by blood.
The isrealites operated under the abrahamic covenant. It simply treacled down. That's y a patrairch would bless a descendant,transferring the blessing (benefit) of the covenant to d descendant. It simply passed down.
Isreal was operating under these covenant . But God added additional elements governing the relationship with His people. This is the law.
The sacrifces under the law were for purposes like covering of sin , purifcation of the flesh of d sinner , commerating God's deliverance of His people from egyptian bondage etc.
With Jesus a new covenant is enacted superior and better than the old covenant but still with this new covenant the blessing of abraham (i,e the benefits of the covenant with abraham) isnt done away with. It is thru the new covenant tht the blessing of abraham comes on the gentiles.
And not tht abraham's covenant is governed by faith not rules and laws. Abraham tithed in faith.

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Lilimax(f): 4:56pm On Dec 01, 2014
I can't understand all these fuss and noise about tithing?
One thing is sure; Pay your tithe so that things will not be tight for you smiley
Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Goshen360(m): 5:00pm On Dec 01, 2014
asalimpo:

there's nothing like "covenant with the law"
a covenant is ratified by blood.
The isrealites operated under the abrahamic covenant. It simply treacled down. That's y a patrairch would bless a descendant,transferring the blessing (benefit) of the covenant to d descendant. It simply passed down.
Isreal was operating under these covenant . But God added additional elements governing the relationship with His people. This is the law.
The sacrifces under the law were for purposes like covering of sin , purifcation of the flesh of d sinner , commerating God's deliverance of His people from egyptian bondage etc.
With Jesus a new covenant is enacted superior and better than the old covenant but still with this new covenant the blessing of abraham (i,e the benefits of the covenant with abraham) isnt done away with. It is thru the new covenant tht the blessing of abraham comes on the gentiles.
And not tht abraham's covenant is governed by faith not rules and laws. Abraham tithed in faith.

So, is tithe part of Abrahamic covenant? Answer with scriptures please.
Re: Anti-tithe Arguments are Motivated By Selfishness And Ignorance by Goshen360(m): 5:02pm On Dec 01, 2014
Lilimax:
I can't understand all these fuss and noise about tithing?
One thing is sure; Pay your tithe so that things will not be tight for you smiley
Shalom!
That is slogan developed & crafted by Oyedepo. I used to be part of his business empire but since I stopped tithing and still giving, nothing has ever been tight for me. You don't wan't me boast do you? wink

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

God's Omnipotence Contradicts The Requirement For Free Will In God's Plan. / What Is The Acceptable Mourning Period For Christians? / ***Is Christianity Becoming Too Superstitious And Beggarly Or What??***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.