Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,951 members, 7,835,170 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency (836 Views)

How Cattle Rearers Stopped North From Seceding In 1966. Asiodu / Viewpoint: How Tribalism Stunts African Democracy / How Tribalism Made Southern Cameroon Run From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by Ikengawo: 5:10am On Dec 01, 2014
Not the tribalism of southerners as much as the tribalism of northerners. It's not secret that in any election the north will always vote for the northern candidate. So where does that leave us? I'll show you.

Yar'Adua was presented as the presidential candidate in 2007. Yar'Adua was not only sick, but publicly collapsed multiple times and was rushed to the hospital to treat his terminal kidney problem. Yar'Adua was in power for about 3 years, spent the majority of it in the hospital, Nigeria was on pause for 3 whole years developmentally and politically and finally Yar'Adua died and was given a humble burial.

It is now 2014. Northern Nigeria will vote the northern candidate. This man is none other than Buhari. The bottom line is Buhari is 73 years old (over 20 years older than the Nigerian life expectancy).

If a man has a terminal illness and dies, nothing can be said about the death. It's not a surprise
If a man is 73 and dies, what will be said about the death? Will it be a surprise.

Buhari is at the age where men worry about their legacy, their grandchildren and become bastons of the wisdom they gathered in 73 years. They are calm, relaxed and use their limited time on earth to teach so that generations behind them will learn. Buhari not only has no living pupil, but wants to contest against a man that is 30 years his junior! This means that when Goodluck Jonathan was conceived Buhari was already senior officer in the military. Lets imagine we're in a world where only being able to secure 25% of Nigerias votes in 3 consecutive elections will make you win and General Buhari becomes President of Nigeria. this 73 year old man will have to stay alive for another 8 years so that the north won't say they were cheated again. This means you expect Nigeria to have an 81 year old president who will then hand over to who?

President Jonathan is in the same generation as Buhari's youngest children assuming he started having kids in his 20s. If he Buhari feels 2015 is his and our grandfather's time to rule, while our father's generation, talkless of our own, is sideline and told to wait until Buhari's 81's birthday than I constitute this as an insult. Furthermore, if the North's 81 year old candidate happens to die sometime in the next 3 years, will they have the energy to 'make nigerian ungovernable' again?

[img]http://free.niooz.fr/cache/mediaurl/600x400/01ae42d48a48c6b8fb1a8334aeba8192.jpg?1[/img]

2 Likes

Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by SirHouloo(m): 5:43am On Dec 01, 2014
An aged general with an aged reasoning, archaic mentality expecting to function like he did at his prime. I laugh in japanese where I studied coz I wonder if Nigeria ever had leaders of tomorrow as those of yesterday still wan reign for life.
Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by rawpadgin(m): 5:44am On Dec 01, 2014
the man has started shrinking
Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by Sibrah: 5:53am On Dec 01, 2014
They have been brainwashed through religion. Good news is there is a sizable non-core-northern community ready to negate this effect.
Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by Firefire(m): 6:13am On Dec 01, 2014
Buhari, sorry for your loss in advance grin embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by Alphaoscar: 6:13am On Dec 01, 2014
Your submission is wrong and faulty. from 1999, the opposition either from the north or south always have some reasonable amount of votes from the north. from Falae-- Yar'adua/buhari, -- Jonathan. The amount of vote each party garnered is proportional to their ability to build structures and strategic alliances with the political leaders and ability to convince the masses.
Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by Ikengawo: 6:35am On Dec 01, 2014
What do you mean opposition? I said the north always votes for the northern candidate.
The southwest has voted against yoruba men, and the east has voted against igbo men
but the top vote collect in the north in all elections is always the northerner. It was only once that there was no northern choice and that was OBJ's first election. The northerner always wins the majority of northern votes even if he has a terminal illness at 4 more years to live, or is in his deep 70s and probably has even less time.

This isn't me wish ill on Buhari. Unlike other PDP supporters I think he's a decent man who wants the best for his country. His issue is he thinks he's the only decent man in Nigeria and must thus contest and fail in every election since 99, over throw a democracy, silence the press by military decree, flog and beat people in the street, assassinate others, exile opponents, etc. This mentality is the reason why when his followers started spilling the blood of youth corpers and holding his posters he didn't call for them to calm down or show sympathy to the victims families because it's his God right to be president...even at 73.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by Uncleodi(m): 6:42am On Dec 01, 2014
Nice point
Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by donmalcolm21(m): 7:12am On Dec 01, 2014
ApC is an enemy of Nigeria
Re: How Tribalism Keeps The North From The Presidency by Swizdoe(m): 10:22am On Dec 01, 2014
Ikengawo:
What do you mean opposition? I said the north always votes for the northern candidate.
The southwest has voted against yoruba men, and the east has voted against igbo men
but the top vote collect in the north in all elections is always the northerner. It was only once that there was no northern choice and that was OBJ's first election. The northerner always wins the majority of northern votes even if he has a terminal illness at 4 more years to live, or is in his deep 70s and probably has even less time.

This isn't me wish ill on Buhari. Unlike other PDP supporters I think he's a decent man who wants the best for his country. His issue is he thinks he's the only decent man in Nigeria and must thus contest and fail in every election since 99, over throw a democracy, silence the press by military decree, flog and beat people in the street, assassinate others, exile opponents, etc. This mentality is the reason why when his followers started spilling the blood of youth corpers and holding his posters he didn't call for them to calm down or show sympathy to the victims families because it's his God right to be president...even at 73.
Mr. Man what are you afraid of. Let the northerners vote for their northern candidate while you southerners vote for your preffered candidate.
When you encouraged the politics of tribalism in Nigeria, you forgot that politics is still a game of numbers.

(1) (Reply)

Excerpts Of Apc Presidential Aspirant Speeches, Which Is Best? / Photo Of The Day:Governor Rochas Okorocha Riding A Bicycle / Primaries "Guns Recovered From Agbaje, George’s Thugs" -obanikoro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.