Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry (12023 Views)

FG Bans Importation Of ‘I-Pass-My-Neighbour’ Generators / Nigeria’s Importation Of Tomato Paste Is A Shame – Cowan / Senators Decry Nigeria’s Importation Of PMS As Shameful — Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 9:29am On Dec 03, 2014
The nation's industrial development finance institution, Bank of Industry (BoI), has stated that it is fully convinced about the feasibility of automobile manufacturing in Nigeria and is ready to inject more funds to boost the industry.

The bank said it was impressed with Nigeria's determination to join the league of industrialised nations like Germany, Britain, United States, China, Japan with the unveiling of the first ever truly made-in-Nigeria cars by the Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing (IVM) Company Ltd, in Nnewi, Anambra State.

The Managing Director of BoI, Mr. Rasheed Adejare Olaoluwa, said having seen the progress made by the Innoson Group in automobile manufacturing, "we are prepared to work with other serious-minded automobile manufacturers and provide financing opportunities which they can take advantage of".

Unveiling the IVM Fox hatchback and the IVM Umu saloon cars at Innoson’s Plant in Nnewi, the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, noted that the recent Auto Policy of the federal government, which he said had dramatically reduced the volume of imported cars by 20 per cent since its introduction, made the feat possible.

“This is another milestone under President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan who insisted on positioning industrialisation and value addition at the forefront of his administration’s developmental policies and I commend Innoson for making significant investments to show that he supports our industrial policies,” he said.

He pointed out that President Jonathan had implemented policies that would diversify the country’s economy and sources of government revenue, given the fact that Nigeria has the raw materials to support industrialisation and so far the policies are yielding the desired results.
Commenting on the local content analysis done on the IVM brand vehicles by the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), which disclosed that the vehicles were made up of about 70 per cent locally-sourced contents, the minister pointed out that there was no country in the world that could boast of 100 per cent local content.

“Some OEMs do only 30 per cent but today we are all here making history in Nnewi, the Japan of Africa, where we have successfully produced 70 per cent local component cars which is one of the highest and when you talk about affordability, Innoson is the cheapest,” he said.
Aganga added that other global brands like Nissan and Peugeot were driving partnerships and capacity expansion in the country’s auto sector.

“As we talk of the fall of oil price, it has become critical that we cannot continue to import what we can produce here in Nigeria. We spend about $6 billion annually importing cars. However since the introduction of this policy, we have experienced a 20 per cent drop in imported cars and have exceeded expectations in a very short period,” he said.

According to Aganga, those who initially opposed the Auto Policy have decided to go into production.

“Without the political will of the president, we would have had a policy reversal with the amount of pressure that was mounted on us to drop it and we would not have been here unveiling these today,” he said.

He commended Innocent Chukwuma, the Chief Executive Officer of the Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Ltd, for possessing a can-do spirit, which has propelled the company to dizzying heights of industrial success.

“Our industries deserve infrastructural and financial support to reach their objectives and for Innoson those two critical support components came from the administration of the former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi and the Bank of Industry (BoI),” he said.

Aganga pledged federal government’s continued patronage of locally manufactured products, stressing that in passing the Auto Policy it was established that government would only buy made-in-Nigeria cars and provide the needed support for industries to excel and compete globally.

“We plan to open three auto component cluster parks in the countryand we need the governor of Anambra State (Willie Obiano) to sign an MoU and give us a piece of land and the C of O here in Nnewi and we would establish one of the three cluster parks here,” he said.

Making his remarks, Olaoluwa expressed the delight of the development bank in witnessing the historic event.

“In Nigeria today, there are many companies that are into the assembly of cars but today for the first time, we are actually manufacturing cars. The Nigerian Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP) is beginning to bear fruits in the key areas of competitive and comparative advantages, where we can drive growth and development in the economy," Olaoluwa said.

He noted that Innoson is an exemplary customer of the bank, adding that this was the beginning of more good things to come from the Bank’s partnership with the company.

Also, President of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Ademola Olorunfemi, disclosed that a few years ago when the body paid a visit to the vehicle plant, they were given an IVM bus to carry out a product analysis on it.

“We did observe that being an effort in the right direction, more needed to be done to introduce more local content into it and more.

"Today, within two years Innoson has improved on all our recommendations and increased the vehicles' local content up to 70 per cent which is not less than what is obtainable elsewhere in the world,” he said.

He said the Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Ltd had been granted permit by NSE to use its seal, while the CEO, Chukwuma, would be inducted into the NSE hall of fame, making him the 19th person in over 60 years of the body’s existence to be so highly honoured.

He urged President Jonathan to muster all the political will at his disposal to mandate the use of only made-in-Nigeria cars by all MDAs.
Representing the Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano, his Deputy Nkem Okeke commended the Innoson group for its developmental strides, value addition and job creation.

“It is not only through trade that a nation can develop, but through the conversion of our local raw materials into finished products. Therefore we will continue to support Innoson and other well-meaning industrialists,” he said.

Okeke stressed that the only way a company like Innoson can develop is when the nation buys the products of local manufacturers.

“I thank BoI and I hope that what they have done for Innoson will be extended to other industries from this state in our quest to provide jobs for our citizens,” he said.

In his remarks, Chairman of the occasion and National President of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), Dr. Frank Jacobs, noted that the feat of achieving the production of made-in-Nigeria cars was attained despite the challenging business environment which manufacturers are facing in the country.

“It is a testimony that the federal government’s Auto Policy is working. The automobile industry bill has not yet been passed by the National Assembly and we are all expecting that it will be done soon enough,” he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/boi-pledges-more-investment-as-vehicle-importation-dips-by-20-/195685/

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by hopy68(m): 9:44am On Dec 03, 2014
nice development indeed

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 9:56am On Dec 03, 2014
hopy68:
nice development indeed

Yea
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by menesheh(m): 9:59am On Dec 03, 2014
nice one

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 10:07am On Dec 03, 2014

Thee bank said it was impressed with Nigeria's
determination to join the league of industrialised nations like Germany, Britain, United States, China, Japan with the unveiling of the first ever truly made-in-Nigeria cars by the Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing (IVM) Company Ltd, in Nnewi, Anambra State.
...Because some few cars were produced I feel so ashamed sometimes when these people talk. Gosh!! Even pipe borne water we don't get yet someone is spewing this trash.

These men are at best politicians. They lie and lick balls a lot.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by harrwix(m): 10:14am On Dec 03, 2014
News as such gives me hope about my country....all hand should be on deck to move this country forward

#lets do the right thing
#proudly naija

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Morkavictor: 10:41am On Dec 03, 2014
omenka:
...Because some few cars were produced I feel so ashamed sometimes when these people talk. Gosh!! Even pipe borne water we don't get yet someone is spewing this trash.
see them alway finding excuse to discredit Gej adminstration but will celebrate fashola commissioning of common street light.

48 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 10:43am On Dec 03, 2014
omenka:

IVM, just released pictures of their made in Nigeria cars, google and see for yourself

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 10:44am On Dec 03, 2014
harrwix:
News as such gives me hope about my country....all hand should be on deck to move this country forward

#lets do the right thing
#proudly naija

I concur

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by dtruth3(m): 10:54am On Dec 03, 2014
omenka:
i never believed it before, when i was told you are sick!

now i can comfirm!

50 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 10:56am On Dec 03, 2014
ducii:

IVM, just released pictures of their made in Nigeria cars, google and see for yourself
I know. I've seen the pictures long time ago. What I'm saying is it is just sheer foolishness to start comparing Nigeria with those countries simply because we've produced some cars when we are yet to even put in place very basic stuffs of development like pipe borne water, electricity, eradicate hunger, and shelter for Nigerians.

Making such is statement at this point is simply playing a sycophant.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 12:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
omenka:
I know. I've seen the pictures long time ago. What I'm saying is it is just sheer foolishness to start comparing Nigeria with those countries simply because we've produced some cars when we are get to even put in place very basic stuffs of development like pipe borne water, electricity, eradicate hunger, and shelter for Nigerians.

Making such is statement at this point is simply playing a sycophant.

I agree with you, on the aspect of comparing Nigeria to these other countries, but the fact still remainS that Nigeria is making giant strides. Venturing into areas where many thought impossible, even with the lack of infrastructure

25 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 12:32pm On Dec 03, 2014
ducii:

I agree with you, on the aspect of comparing Nigeria to these other countries, but the fact still remainS that Nigeria is making giant strides. Venturing into areas where many thought impossible, even with the lack of infrastructure
Well, I never thought producing cars in Nigeria is impossible, and it is indeed a laudable advancement. But you can't build a house on quicksand and expect it to stand.

Basic infrastructures like electricity have to be in adequate supply otherwise these products might be priced out of reach of average Nigerians, which I believe should constitute the bulk of their customers, due to their high cost of production.

The wealthy folks would still prefer their Toyotas, Hondas, Benzes, Bentleys, GMCs, BMWs, Ferraris etc, to any of the cars produced domestically. When you price products too high (which is inevitable sometimes if you don't wanna incure too much loses), you tend to get lesser patronage and that affects business adversely.

This is just the plain truth I was getting at that all those overly emotional and erratic kids up there are throwing insults here and there.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 12:41pm On Dec 03, 2014
omenka:
Well, I never thought producing cars in Nigeria is impossible, and it is indeed a laudable advancement. But you can't build a house on quicksand and expect it to stand. Basic infrastructures like electricity has to be in adequate supply otherwise these products might be priced out of reach of average Nigerians which I believe should constitute the bulk of their customers due to their high cost of production. The wealthy folks would still prefer their Toyotas, Hondas, Benzes, Bentleys, GMCs, BMWs, Ferraris etc, to any of the cars produced domestically.

This is just the plain truth I saw getting at that all those overly emotional and erratic kids up there are throwing insults here and there.

Your assertions are true, I don't know how much the cars are price at, but i was thinking that cheap labour would offset most of the high cost incurred for lack of electricity supply.

I think I also read somewhere, where they said 70% of raw materials used in the car production are sourced locally.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 12:53pm On Dec 03, 2014
ducii:

Your assertions are true, I don't know how much the cars are price at, but i was thinking that cheap labour would offset most of the high cost incurred for lack of electricity supply.

I think I also read somewhere, where they said 70% of raw materials used in the car production are sourced locally.
And I also saw somewhere one of those cars (not too sure it was innoson tho, but was manufactured locally) that could pass for a Kia Picanto priced at 1.5million!! I was like "nigerians would rather go for a 2001 Camry and pocket the change than buy the car at that cost". These are just stark realities my brother.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 1:07pm On Dec 03, 2014
omenka:
And I also saw somewhere one of those cars (not too sure it was innoson tho, but was manufactured locally) that could pass for a Kia Picanto priced at 1.5million!! I was like "nigerians would rather go for a 2001 Camry and pocket the change than buy the car at that cost". These are just stark realities my brother.

Ok that is a bit steep for a Picanto, but if the banks give support to the manufactures, by granting car loans or some sort of financial deals. I think that will go a long way in helping the manufactures.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 1:24pm On Dec 03, 2014
ducii:

Ok that is a bit steep for a Picanto, but if the banks give support to the manufactures, by granting car loans or some sort of financial deals. I think that will go a long way in helping the manufactures.
Absolutely. Something like mortgage financing. smiley

You see, the whole stuff transcends just producing these cars. A lot has to be set in motion for such business to thrive. As it stands, it seems only the government and transporters are patronising them. My hope is that someone stops feeling complacent, roll up their sleeve, put their minds to task, put pen to paper and paper to policies that ensure these gains are not eroded before they come full bloom.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 1:26pm On Dec 03, 2014
omenka:
Absolutely. Something like mortgage financing. smiley

You see, the whole stuff transcend just producing these cars. A lot has to be set in motion for such business to thrive. As it stands, it seems only the government and transporters are patronising them. My hope is that someone stops feeling complacent, roll up their sleeve, put their minds to task, put pen to paper and paper to policies that ensure these gains are not eroded before they come full bloom.

I concur 100%
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by harrwix(m): 3:46pm On Dec 03, 2014
ducii:

I concur

I really wish d sector luck...but still a lot has to be put in place
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by dickoflife(m): 1:14am On Dec 04, 2014
ducii:

I concur 100%
I believe Omenka is mad! Access bank markets hyundai and soonest will introduce innosson. Secondly, no matter where the government started from the issue is the development stride has begun. Do you realise millions of people read news on nairaland daily? I always keep quiet but this is just too bad on your part. Please stop the negativity, what we need now is a positive mindset. End of story.

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 9:29am On Dec 04, 2014
dickoflife:

I believe Omenka is mad! Access bank markets hyundai and soonest will introduce innosson. Secondly, no matter where the government started from the issue is the development stride has begun. Do you realise millions of people read news on nairaland daily? I always keep quiet but this is just too bad on your part. Please stop the negativity, what we need now is a positive mindset. End of story.

My brother I think Omenka has made some valuable points about lack of infrastructure in the sector. There is no mistaking that the sector needs a lot of support.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by sirjohnson(m): 10:02am On Dec 04, 2014
Good or bad?
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by TDstarr: 10:02am On Dec 04, 2014
una nor sabi wait for person make e first comment?? angry
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by simplemach(m): 10:02am On Dec 04, 2014
Goodnews, atleast now we make our own cars. Who knows, may be by 2016, there would be no more car imports

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Francon(f): 10:02am On Dec 04, 2014
Too lengthy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by BossAyuk: 10:02am On Dec 04, 2014
Good news...Jonathan is still going back to otuoke next year sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by thiefnubu(m): 10:03am On Dec 04, 2014
Ok...what am I supposed to say now undecided

Ok

More power to their elbow

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Firefire(m): 10:03am On Dec 04, 2014
Morkavictor:
see them alway finding excuse to discredit Gej adminstration but will celebrate fashola commissioning of common street light.

such is life undecided

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by prinzadey(m): 10:04am On Dec 04, 2014
grin
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 04, 2014
All well, if the reduction is due to an increase in domestic manufacturing.

If we want to make the reduction more permanent.....Ajaokuta and Light are the two passwords! wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by donbrowser(m): 10:04am On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
[size=38pt]Seriously at first, i wondered what you're suffering from before i discovered you're a member of the Abiku People's Congress.[/size]

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by uken73(m): 10:05am On Dec 04, 2014
Good. The policy is making impact. Hope it does not imply more smuggling.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Frees Justice Ngwuta Of Corruption Charges / EXCLUSIVE: How Agency Headed By Buhari’s In-law Is Violating Nigeria’s Procureme / Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.