Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized (1047 Views)

FG Hands Over NITEL To NATCOM Consortium / Northern Nigeria Should Be Privatized. Mad solution for carzy ppl / Electric Power Supply Sector In Nigeria Should Be Privatized. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by ducii: 9:15am On Dec 04, 2014
A Special Purpose Vehicle, NATCOM Consortium, on Wednesday offered to pay $252.25m for the Nigerian Telecommunications Limited and its mobile subsidiary, the Nigerian Mobile Telecommunications Limited.

With no competitor, and with the offer meeting the reserve price set for the telecommunication companies, NATCOM stands as the potential core investor in the beleaguered public telecommunications companies.

Two more hurdles, however, are ahead to be cleared. First, the bid has to be approved by the National Council on Privatisation chaired by Vice President Namadi Sambo; and the second is the consortium should be able to pay within the specified time.

The other firm that had been prequalified for the exercise, NETTAG Consortium, was disqualified for failure to enclose a bid bond stipulated by the Request for Proposal prepared by the Bureau of Public Enterprises.

At the first bid, NATCOM offered a bid of $221m which was said to be lower than the reserve price. It was therefore asked to reverse the bid and in the second round, it offered the winning bid of $252.25m.

NATCOM is an SPV formed for the purpose of acquisition of NITEL and M-Tel. The consortium is made up of shareholders – NATSPACE Telecommunication Investment Limited, PCCW Global Limited and Prime Union Investment Limited.

Other members of the consortium are Prime Union Investment Limited, Olutoyl Estate Development & Services Limited, Sahara Energy Resources Limited, Legal Resources Alliance & Co and LM Ericsson Nigeria Limited.

With the exception of LM Ericsson Nigeria Limited, all the other members of the consortium are equity holders with Prime Union and Olutoyl Estate holding 30 per cent equity each. LM Ericsson is a technical partner to the group.

Four of the equity holders, Prime Union Investment Limited, Olutoyl Estate Development & Services, Legal Resources Alliance & Co and Natspace Telecommunication Investment Limited with a combined equity of 80 per cent of the consortium are linked to businessman, Dr. Olatunde Ayeni.

Apart from being the Chairman of Skye Bank Plc, Ayeni is also a director of the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company, one of the electricity distribution companies that were recently sold by the BPE.

Speaking at the bid opening ceremony, the Minister of Communications Technology, Dr. Omobola Johnson, said the Federal Government would continue to fine-tune policies to provide enabling environment for the growth and development of a private sector-driven telecommunications industry.

She said, “The privatisation of government-owned telecoms companies, NITEL and M-Tel, is the last segment in the well-thought-out reform of the Nigerian telecommunications sector which commenced in 2000.

“The liberalisation of the sector in the last 13 years has attracted new investments of over $32bn entirely from the private sector, resulting in an explosive impact on the sector with over 130 million subscribers compared to just 750,000.

“It is our fervent hope that today’s event will lead to the final emergence of a qualified bidder with the requisite technical expertise and financial resources to transform the two companies in line with the vision of government.”

The Executive Commissioner, Nigerian Communications Commission, Mr. Okechukwu Itanyi, said with the privatisation, the hope of Nigerians for diversified telecommunications industry had been rekindled.

He said NITEL had the resources and pedigree to bring back landlines and champion broadband revolution in the country.

Past attempts to sell the First National Operator in the last 13 years had reportedly been marred by insincerity and manipulation of the process by government officials and private sector operators.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/winning-bidder-offers-252m-for-nitel-m-tel/

1 Like

Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 04, 2014
MAKE EE NO AFFECT MY MTN NIGHT CALLS O angry
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by stinggy(m): 9:24am On Dec 04, 2014
Wonder what the new operator will make out of the rotten and obsolete equipments.
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by beylinko(m): 9:25am On Dec 04, 2014
this is no news at all. who told u it hasn't been privatised even before now. At the end of the day, its still the same old story of investors backing off at the last minute on discovering d remains of it skeleton . I pray this would be the last time the news of NITEL's privatization would filter out.
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by ducii: 9:25am On Dec 04, 2014
stinggy:
Wonder what the new operator will make out of the rotten and obsolete equipments.

So you know more than the new investor, who would have done due diligence before making an offer.
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 04, 2014
It is my sincere and fervent hope that this exercise be fruitful this time.
It will give us the benefits of choosing the best telephony channel as well as reduce call tariffs.

Honestly this is long overdue and I am eagerly waiting.
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by stinggy(m): 9:34am On Dec 04, 2014
ducii:

So you know more than the new investor, who would have done due diligence before making an offer.

I know but believe me, most of the equipments were left to rot. A factor that reduced NITEL's worth. I guess the masts should be the most valuable of its equipments now.
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by iamodenigbo1(m): 10:59am On Dec 04, 2014
let it succeed this time abeg
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by ducii: 11:14am On Dec 04, 2014
iamodenigbo1:
let it succeed this time abeg

It will IJN Amen
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by iamodenigbo1(m): 11:19am On Dec 04, 2014
ducii:

It will IJN Amen
iseeee
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by KriTic24A: 6:01pm On Dec 04, 2014
iamodenigbo1:
iseeee

I no kno sey Nitel still dey o.
As i don hear sey dey don sell the tower for N4b before now...
Or dey return the cash?
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by funkybully(f): 6:41pm On Dec 04, 2014
stinggy:

I know but believe me, most of the equipments were left to rot. A factor that reduced NITEL's worth. I guess the masts should be the most valuable of its equipments now.

Even d masts are weak and rusted

They will have to check their integrity,.

Maybe the landed property and buildings are d only valuable asset left.
Re: Finally!!! NITEL To Be Privatized by ducii: 6:45pm On Dec 04, 2014
funkybully:

Even d masts are weak and rusted

They will have to check their integrity,.

Maybe the landed property and buildings are d only valuable asset left.

And how much do you think those are worth? they just made an offer for over $200 million

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Parliament Wants Jonathan Voted Out In 2015 / Reasons Why The West Will Not Like To See 9ja(africa)get Better. / Gej Joins Apc??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.