Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,057 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar (1669 Views)

The Gift Abdulaziz Alsharrah Gave To Atiku Abubakar In Abuja / Check Out A Nigerian Reply To Atiku Abubakars Tweet..(photo) / Buhari And Atiku Pictured Together Amidst Rumour Of Jonathan’s Visit To Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Chidiokereke(m): 6:38pm On Dec 05, 2014
By Ruona Agbroko-Meyer - November 2013

I hear it every time, and feel somewhat guilty when they all say it. Distinguished men old enough to father me; young journalists who are often gob smacked that I look younger than they expected and organisers who are simply relieved their events have gone well.
They all say: Ruona, thank you. And each time, they do not believe me when I cringe and reply with: Please, don’t mention.

For the over 100 journalists and PR professionals I have ever been privileged to have sessions with, I want you to know today that you are thanking the wrong person.
All I know and have been passing on for practically free and totally free has been mainly because I was given a scholarship in 2011 to study at the University of Westminster, London. Today, I am graduating with a Merit in Broadcast Journalism from this prestigious institution and the sense of pride my family has is down to a man I have never met.

In thanking this man, I must now apologise to him because I am doing something which I have come to know (through his aides and associates) he hates intensely - putting him in the limelight. That man is Atiku Abubakar.

Again, I have never met Mr Atiku, but knew early on in the 90s that he was fondly called Turaki by Godwin, my father. After the Abacha regime incarcerated Godwin for one long spell, Turaki sent messages of encouragement. I know this because I eavesdropped as my trip to boarding school in Ogun State was delayed so Godwin could receive his friend’s guest.

When Godwin was assassinated in 2006, Mr Atiku gave my sister a full postgraduate scholarship in Scotland, where she was living at the time, all with no physical contact with our family. From then on, he seemed to fade from my consciousness, until December 2010.

I was having a brief stop in Nigeria from Johannesburg, and in the midst of preparing to move eventually to London by mid-2011 due to my marriage. I had applied for numerous jobs and was not called for a single interview. Citing the recession, my friends in London advised me to study in the UK to increase my chances of employment and learn the trade properly, since I was to settle here.

I applied for scholarships but the fact that I was not going to return to Nigeria fully anytime soon meant a bank and one popular global UK scholarships provider turned me down with expected alacrity. I made up my mind to get any job, even if menial, and work my way to pay for the degree whenever I began living in the UK.

And so a few weeks before I left Nigeria, I ran into one of Godwin’s former colleagues. He asked me what I had been up to since my father’s death. When I explained my situation, he said he was aware Mr Atiku had a long-running, informal set-up where he provided scholarships for “young people who show promise.”

As someone who never believes in the concept of the free lunch, I blurted out the first two things that came into my head - after helping my sister would Mr Atiku help me as well? I had never met him; what if he began trying to influence my work?

I was immediately assured of two things. First, though informally given, all scholarships had a selection process with requirements. Secondly, Mr Atiku had no idea of my work, even though I liked to think I was somebody who had recently won an international journalism prize. And in the event he did know, Mr Atiku was not that kind of meddler. Basically, the dude couldn’t be bothered.

I got in contact with Mr Atiku’s Abuja office and went on a recce of sorts. I met a little line of people seated, holding large brown envelopes; took note of NYSC certificates peeking through transparent envelopes and listened as a member of staff received documents. I was informed I would need to write a cover letter explaining why I felt I deserved this scholarship, attach an offer letter from the UK University, show all my previous academic credentials; include a CV; and provide two letters from academic referees. I got all the documents together, posted them to the address provided and promptly forgot about it.
A few months later ...

Read full text here ... http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/thank-you-atiku-abubakar/165547#.VIBoGVt8fOp.twitter

Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by GboyegaD(m): 6:45pm On Dec 05, 2014
I never knew he was a philanthropist of this magnitude. May God bless him more as he gives hope to Nigerians who benefit from his scholarships.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 05, 2014
Lol... He stole what rightfully belong to 170million Nigerians, and used 0.00000006% of the loot to do eye service "support" just to appear good. Atiku, even in Adamawa state you have been rejected. This strategy of yours is a worn out trick.
Dead on Arrival... #BringBackOurPTDFMoney

#Buhari 4 President

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Firefire(m): 6:55pm On Dec 05, 2014
Atiku Atiku. We are watching if...
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Chidiokereke(m): 7:28pm On Dec 05, 2014
This trait is inherent in every Buhari supporter - you guys do not know how to appreciate goodwill. How many scholarships has your miserly general given? Atiku will continue touching lives with or without the presidency. Buhari is just an ex-general and serial presidential contester. You can argue on your bed. Cheers

barcanista:
Lol... He stole what rightfully belong to 170million Nigerians, and used 0.00000006% of the loot to do eye service "support" just to appear good. Atiku, even in Adamawa state you have been rejected. This strategy of yours is a worn out trick.
Dead on Arrival... #BringBackOurPTDFMoney

#Buhari 4 President

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 05, 2014
GboyegaD:
I never knew he was a philanthropist of this magnitude. May God bless him more as he gives hope to Nigerians who benefit from his scholarships.
of course he is a philantropist to the core. Giving out free education has always been his priority in education. This is something nigerians will enjoy if he becomes president.
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 05, 2014
Chidiokereke:
This trait is inherent in every Buhari supporter - you guys do not know how to appreciate goodwill. How many scholarships has your miserly general given? Atiku will continue touching lives with or without the presidency. Buhari is just an ex-general and serial presidential contester. You can argue on your bed. Cheers

I know that you are trying to market a Very bad product. General Muhammadu Muhari distinguished himself as Head of State and PTF boss. He even outshone Abacha when he was in PTf. Hence, he enjoys patronage among the masses who in him they see a messiah. But Atiku? Hahaahahahah he was a joke and disgrace as VP. He has no say even in Adamawa. He was indicted by efcc, Senate and Presidential committee. In the words of Ribadu to the Senate "...the Vice President is a thief" hahaha. Even in Adamawa he is rejected like a plague despite his dirty money. His Candidates all lost primaries in back to back APC guber contest.

#bad market
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by GboyegaD(m): 8:28pm On Dec 05, 2014
berem:
of course he is a philantropist to the core. Giving out free education has always been his priority in education. This is something nigerians will enjoy if he becomes president.

You cannot conclude that we will enjoy scholarships if he becomes the president as he alone doesn't decide how Nigeria's money is been spent. More so, the concept of free education at higher levels of education (anything above high school) will only lead to an abuse of the educational system however, scholarships should be made available to encourage those that might want to acquire same.This said, how credible is he to tackle corruption which is the major challenge of our society right now?
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 05, 2014
GboyegaD:

You cannot conclude that we will enjoy scholarships if he becomes the president as he alone doesn't decide how Nigeria's money is been spent. More so, the concept of free education at higher levels of education (anything above high school) will only lead to an abuse of the educational system however, scholarships should be made available to encourage those that might want to acquire same.This said, how credible is he to tackle corruption which is the major challenge of our society right now?
so why wouldn't nigerians enjoy scholarships from him if he becomes president? Its not that he didn't do it when he was a VP or before he became an elected official. Atiku and Rochas are the only two candidates who I think will take scholarships seriously when elected.
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 05, 2014
barcanista:
I know that you are trying to market a Very bad product. General Muhammadu Muhari distinguished himself as Head of State and PTF boss. He even outshone Abacha when he was in PTf. Hence, he enjoys patronage among the masses who in him they see a messiah. But Atiku? Hahaahahahah he was a joke and disgrace as VP. He has no say even in Adamawa. He was indicted by efcc, Senate and Presidential committee. In the words of Ribadu to the Senate "...the Vice President is a thief" hahaha. Even in Adamawa he is rejected like a plague despite his dirty money. His Candidates all lost primaries in back to back APC guber contest.

#bad market

Nigerians indeed suffer from tokenist mentality.....a disease so many of our political elites understand so well

Which is that ''Politicians Steal very humongous amount of money but turn around to float a Foundation or Scholarship and award to few hundreds of individuals

They in turn engage in a Pharisee-like media propaganda of the same to the whole world! And that was what birthed the Stomach Infrastructure paradigm by the likes of Fayose,Ifeanyi Uba(kerosene distributor),Omisore( the CORNfused politician)

Atiku and his ilks will not fool me any bit....When you steal from the poor to service them in a round tripped manner via any empowerment scheme,you are only doing 'Dapada'

If we have a good Government that takes its responsibilities towards education seriously unlike the GEJ that is non-chalant with same thereby allowing students to stay at home for months and years,the incidence of 'show-off' scholarship will be minimised
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by GboyegaD(m): 8:53pm On Dec 05, 2014
berem:
so why wouldn't nigerians enjoy scholarships from him if he becomes president? Its not that he didn't do it when he was a VP or before he became an elected official. Atiku and Rochas are the only two candidates who I think will take scholarships seriously when elected.

May I ask who you hope wins the APC primaries next week? Just willing to know your preferred candidate.
As for me, I would prefer GMB because of his integrity and I have read a couple of people mention him in very good light when it comes to integrity. I think Atiku is more experienced politically though, but my fear remains his credibility. He had his hand soiled whenever he was Vice President and head of BPE because the process wasn't transparent.

***edited***
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 05, 2014
GboyegaD:

May I ask who you hope wins the APC primaries tomorrow? Just willing to know your preferred candidate.
As for me, I would prefer GMB because of his integrity and I have read a couple of people mention him in very good light when it comes to integrity. I think Atiku is more experienced politically though, but my fear remains his credibility. He had his hand soiled whenever he was Vice President and head of BPE because the process wasn't transparent.
is the primaries tomorrow? shocked
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 05, 2014
soroptimist:

Nigerians indeed suffer from tokenist mentality.....a disease so many of our political elites understand so well

Which is that ''Politicians Steal very humongous amount of money but turn around to float a Foundation or Scholarship and award to few hundreds of individuals

They in turn engage in a Pharisee-like media propaganda of the same to the whole world! And that was what birthed the Stomach Infrastructure paradigm by the likes of Fayose,Ifeanyi Uba(kerosene distributor),Omisore( the CORNfused politician)

Atiku and his ilks will not fool me any bit....When you steal from the poor to service them in a round tripped manner via any empowerment scheme,you are only doing 'Dapada'

If we have a good Government that takes its responsibilities towards education seriously unlike the GEJ that is non-chalant with same thereby allowing students to stay at home for months and years,the incidence of 'show-off' scholarship will be minimised
People like Atiku, Fayose, Omisore, Ifeanyi Ubah etc should not be mentioned when leaders are being discussed. They can only lead Çlueless people and not the Nigeria masses. Someone said "Even the best salesman in the world will fail woefully if given Atiku(product) to sell". grin
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by GboyegaD(m): 9:03pm On Dec 05, 2014
berem:
is the primaries tomorrow? shocked

No, I meant next week.
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Tonydoo: 9:19pm On Dec 05, 2014
So because he helped you and your sorry sister,does that now mean He is a Philanthropist? Common man! Grow up! Do you know what fraction of 168 million makes 2? Permit me to tell you. 0.000000000000000001 percent. Arghhhhhh!!!! Obviously this guy has been paid to do this. Simply put in Yoruba #o ti gbowo!!! ;DSo because he helped you and your sorry sister,does that now mean He is a Philanthropist? Common man! Grow up! Do you know what fraction of 168 million makes 2? Permit me to tell you. 0.000000000000000001 percent. Arghhhhhh!!!! Obviously this guy has been paid to do this. Simply put in Yoruba #o ti gbowo!!!
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Chidiokereke(m): 11:38pm On Dec 05, 2014
Can general buhari tell us why he placed Shagari (president and chief of thieving politicians) under house arrest while he locked up Alex Ekwueme (ordinary vice president) in KiriKiri? Can he tell us what happened to those 53 suitcases that his aide smuggled in for him when he was head of state? Can he tell us why he said Abacha's government was not corrupt and that Abacha did not steal? Can saint Buhari tell us why he has been flirting with Bourdillon and sleeping on the same bed with other 'corrupt' politicians? After he lost the 2011 elections, can you tell us why he did not discourage his supporters to go on a riot that saw hundreds die? Saint Buhari my black ass.

barcanista:

#bad market
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by Chidiokereke(m): 11:42pm On Dec 05, 2014
You are too foolish to understand it was written by someone else? You're also too blind to see the part that said he has been doing it quietly for numerous people and would rather not have it exposed? It is people like you that will die without touching any lives. Hater oshi

Tonydoo:
So because he helped you and your sorry sister,does that now mean He is a Philanthropist? Common man! Grow up! Do you know what fraction of 168 million makes 2? Permit me to tell you. 0.000000000000000001 percent. Arghhhhhh!!!! Obviously this guy has been paid to do this. Simply put in Yoruba #o ti gbowo!!! ;DSo because he helped you and your sorry sister,does that now mean He is a Philanthropist? Common man! Grow up! Do you know what fraction of 168 million makes 2? Permit me to tell you. 0.000000000000000001 percent. Arghhhhhh!!!! Obviously this guy has been paid to do this. Simply put in Yoruba #o ti gbowo!!!
Re: Open Letter To Atiku Abubakar by KanwuliaJara: 1:44am On Dec 06, 2014
GOOOOOOOOOOOO TIKUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! grin

(1) (Reply)

See Jonathan Declaring December 28 As New Year Day! / PHCN Can't Even Spare Light On New Year's Day / Finding The Coward Abubakar Shekarau(the Boko Haram Leader)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.