Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,415 members, 7,812,223 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:17 AM

Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army (2950 Views)

Over 100 Boko Haram Terrorists Killed By Chadian Army / Two Chadian Army Helicopters Bomb Boko Haram Locations In Nigeria / Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Ayesman(m): 8:17pm On Dec 07, 2014
I hear some Nigerians are saying that we should invade his country over Boko Haram issue. I ask, with which military? The Chadian army has over 30,350 active personnel and another over three million fit and ready for military service, 'making it the most efficient force in the region besides the armies of Libya and Sudan.' President Deby is totally different from President Jonathan & I am not even trying to put Jona down or anything. Deby has been a fighter all his life, fighting his way to power, fighting to maintain his grip on power for 24 years and he has been in power long before Jonathan even dreamt of joining politics. Deby came to power in 1990 when as a general, he fought against & eventually deposed Hissène Habré, the then president & dictator of Chad who fled the country & ran to Senegal.
So Deby is a war commander not afraid of fighting. In fact, as recently as 2008, there was the Ndjamena War where rebels challenged his authority and brought the battle right to his capital. Deby won in the 2005-2010 civil war in his country. His army is also involved in the Northern Mali conflict with Islamist insurgents. He is always tackling one rebel group or the other. It is like facing five Boko Harams at a time as president.
Nigeria has nothing to gain but plenty to lose if Chad is invaded. One, we are not even in a position to invade anywhere unless you are talking of Osogbo, Ogbomosho and Ibadan. That is one. Two, the Nigerian Army is not the same as the Chadian Army. The army of Chad can be correctly called the Deby Army because the soldiers are predominantly from his own ethnic group, the Zaghawa, so they are very willing to fight for their man unlike our own army which is an amalgam of many tribes. The Chadian Army is far more homogenous.
Two, if you are fighting Chad, you are surely fighting France so think am well. There is a French military base right there in the capital at the Ndjamena International Airport working with & training the Chadian Air Force. They even sent troops to help Deby when three rebel groups made up of his former allies wanted to overthrow him and take over the presidential palace in 2008. Sudan also wanted Deby out but failed. So no even think am. Jonathan does not have the same level of support from ANY superpower. Or you think Britain will send troops to defend any Nigerian head of state facing internal rebellion? Forget am. The Chadians are also modernizing their military with vast sums of money accruing from crude oil deposits around Lake Chad Basin. I am not too sure if Jonathan and his generals can work out a very nice way out of this complex geopolitical quagmire but invading Chad will be a disastrous mistake, the time General Buhari chased Chadian forces who wanted to take over some of Nigeria's islands on the Lake Chad was in the early 1980s and not 2014. Our system still make sense that time, we had just finished a civil war less than a decade earlier. Even then President Shagari told Buhari to back off and leave Chadian territory.
Another thing that will work against the Nigerian military is the sheer size of Chad. Chad is far FAR bigger than Nigeria in area, in fact it is the fifth largest nation in Africa & 21st in the world while Nigeria is not even among the 10th largest in Africa. Which air force are we going to use to take over such a vast territory? Even the late Muammar Gaddafi regretted it when he tried taking over just the Aouzou Strip of Chad in the Toyota War.
I think a lot of Nigerians are so insulated from what is happening in our subregion that we still think we are one big roaring giant. We were. Right now, we are weakened & the best defence we can have is to strengthen our forces from within & not embark on any costly regional aggression.
Also, the Chadian military is far more battle-tested in local and regional insurgencies than our military. The Chadians have been fighting all over the place & the subregion that another war with Nigeria will just be usual play in the park. I don't think Deby too will take on Nigeria in its weakened state (unless he is backed by France which will also back Cameroon to fight us) but Nigerians as of now, should not even dream along the direction of invading Chad. Many Nigerians like Ali Modu Sheriff actually have their roots in Chad and many of these Nigerians have more loyalty to Chad than Nigeria. Such ties are tribal and have no respect for national borders. Shagari had to deport some of these people back to Chad because they were causing trouble in Nigeria. Chad's population may be less than that of Lagos but when you look at how militarized and weaponized and battle-ready the people are, na for you to just waka pass.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by DickDastardly(m): 8:21pm On Dec 07, 2014
*With head in the ground like an Ostrish* Op na lie joor tongue
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by BlackTechnology: 8:27pm On Dec 07, 2014
Underestimate Nigeria at you own peril

Once Nigerians are serious about something even US will shake.

If you doubt me ask Ebola

For now we see BH as a Northern Muslim armed group that's one reason the military is dragging its foot
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Vikkie14: 8:39pm On Dec 07, 2014
You really have a good point. But dont forget we have"hardened" fighters here too. You talked about their military prowess forgeting Nigeria Navy won the 'tug-of-war'(if my brain serves me right) in Australia with our own ship. NN is the only navy from Africa that participate and we won it beating down Europeans and the rest not because of anything but DETERMINATION.
According to stats, we are the 5th power in Africa. But dont ever say we have everything to lose if we went to war with them.
By the way, why should we go to war when the likes of you wont approve of their children joining the Army cox its a death certificate.

No to War.

#TeamPeace
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Horus(m): 8:43pm On Dec 07, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZXoaquKfYM?list=PLVHAPy552t7fmmP8IdufEe4CT7r6ZqhsM

[size=15pt]Chad Army[/size]

This is Tchad's Army 50th year of independence's Military Parade
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by acenazt: 8:46pm On Dec 07, 2014
what nonsense. how many personnel do u think Nigeria has 100? stop saying rubbish man. u think Invasion is like Guerilla warfare?? We talking bout all out bombardment, all out assault you talking about experience in insurgencies. Do you think the Cameroonian Military can even Stop a Full scale Nigerian invasion talk less of Tchad. and who talks about Landmass in a war?? we talking about Able bodied men which Nigeria Has in vast abundance.
check this out

Nigerian Military. Manpower Available for military service 26,802,678 males,
25,668,446 females, a
Fit for military service 15,052,914 males
13,860,806 females, Reaching military
age annually 1,353,180 males
1,329,267 females.
Active personnel 130,000

Chadian Military
Available for military service 1,906,545 males, 2,258,758 females,
Fit for military service
1,066,565 males,
1,279,318 females
Reaching military age annually
116,824 males
117,831 females
Active personnel 30,350
Reserve personnel 0

in active personnel we outclass,outnumber and over match them 4 to 1.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Ayesman(m): 9:00pm On Dec 07, 2014
BlackTechnology:
Underestimate Nigeria at you own peril

Once Nigerians are serious about something even US will shake

I saw Nigerian soldiers running away from Boko Boys

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 07, 2014
Nigeria has more than 200 000 military personnel and more than 40 million fit and ready for military service. So I think you get the point: Nigeria is far superior to chad !
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Horus(m): 9:00pm On Dec 07, 2014
The Nigerian Army cannot even invade Sambisa Forest, and you want to invade Chad? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 07, 2014
Security alert! U try but u no fit scare us, Nigeria has one thing, no nation in Africa posses..."God factor" "Prayer Warriors". Don't get me wrong, we are d worst sinners but God loves us past, abeg scan our history make u hear mween... U go see God hand koro koro for 2015...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 07, 2014
Ayesman:

I saw US soldiers running away from somali militants ! I guess in your logics that that would mean the US military is crap, wouldn't it ?
I also saw thousands of boko haram running away from Nigerian soldiers. What do you make of that ? olodo !
So you see two Nigerian soldiers who were surrounded by hundreds of terrorists and your opinion is that they should have stayed put to die ? Clueless olodo !
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 07, 2014
For more jokes,text chad to 1963...T nd C apply..
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 07, 2014
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by BlackTechnology: 9:06pm On Dec 07, 2014
Ayesman:

They are not committed to the war.
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 07, 2014
If my memory serves me well, the last war between Nigeria and chad lasted for only a few weeks, Nigeria defeated them easilly. Since then Nigeria has fought in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Darfur, Somalia, ivory coast ...
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 07, 2014
BlackTechnology:

They are not committed to the war.
I don't think you can base your conclusion on the sight of two isolated soldiers who are facing hundreds of terrorists. And the media has not been fair to Nigeria and even worse when it is about the Nigerian military. The military is doing a verry god job !
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:14pm On Dec 07, 2014
Horus:
The Nigerian Army cannot even invade Sambisa Forest, and you want to invade Chad? shocked
Sambisa forest is actually bigger than scotland and the military is in sambisa forest, but it is a good hiding place for terrorists, because it is a forest ! Civilian rebels were using forests to hide from the german army during ww2 ! the same german army which invaded most of europe couldn't invade the forest ! you see your logics ?
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 07, 2014
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by FSBoperator: 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2020
Nigerian Army is no different than Nigerian Police.

Both are a nuisance who have forgotten their mandate.
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by topstone4: 4:15pm On Apr 05, 2020
Ayesman:
I hear some Nigerians are saying that we should invade his country over Boko Haram issue. I ask, with which military? The Chadian army has over 30,350 active personnel and another over three million fit and ready for military service, 'making it the most efficient force in the region besides the armies of Libya and Sudan.' President Deby is totally different from President Jonathan & I am not even trying to put Jona down or anything. Deby has been a fighter all his life, fighting his way to power, fighting to maintain his grip on power for 24 years and he has been in power long before Jonathan even dreamt of joining politics. Deby came to power in 1990 when as a general, he fought against & eventually deposed Hissène Habré, the then president & dictator of Chad who fled the country & ran to Senegal.
So Deby is a war commander not afraid of fighting. In fact, as recently as 2008, there was the Ndjamena War where rebels challenged his authority and brought the battle right to his capital. Deby won in the 2005-2010 civil war in his country. His army is also involved in the Northern Mali conflict with Islamist insurgents. He is always tackling one rebel group or the other. It is like facing five Boko Harams at a time as president.
Nigeria has nothing to gain but plenty to lose if Chad is invaded. One, we are not even in a position to invade anywhere unless you are talking of Osogbo, Ogbomosho and Ibadan. That is one. Two, the Nigerian Army is not the same as the Chadian Army. The army of Chad can be correctly called the Deby Army because the soldiers are predominantly from his own ethnic group, the Zaghawa, so they are very willing to fight for their man unlike our own army which is an amalgam of many tribes. The Chadian Army is far more homogenous.
Two, if you are fighting Chad, you are surely fighting France so think am well. There is a French military base right there in the capital at the Ndjamena International Airport working with & training the Chadian Air Force. They even sent troops to help Deby when three rebel groups made up of his former allies wanted to overthrow him and take over the presidential palace in 2008. Sudan also wanted Deby out but failed. So no even think am. Jonathan does not have the same level of support from ANY superpower. Or you think Britain will send troops to defend any Nigerian head of state facing internal rebellion? Forget am. The Chadians are also modernizing their military with vast sums of money accruing from crude oil deposits around Lake Chad Basin. I am not too sure if Jonathan and his generals can work out a very nice way out of this complex geopolitical quagmire but invading Chad will be a disastrous mistake, the time General Buhari chased Chadian forces who wanted to take over some of Nigeria's islands on the Lake Chad was in the early 1980s and not 2014. Our system still make sense that time, we had just finished a civil war less than a decade earlier. Even then President Shagari told Buhari to back off and leave Chadian territory.
Another thing that will work against the Nigerian military is the sheer size of Chad. Chad is far FAR bigger than Nigeria in area, in fact it is the fifth largest nation in Africa & 21st in the world while Nigeria is not even among the 10th largest in Africa. Which air force are we going to use to take over such a vast territory? Even the late Muammar Gaddafi regretted it when he tried taking over just the Aouzou Strip of Chad in the Toyota War.
I think a lot of Nigerians are so insulated from what is happening in our subregion that we still think we are one big roaring giant. We were. Right now, we are weakened & the best defence we can have is to strengthen our forces from within & not embark on any costly regional aggression.
Also, the Chadian military is far more battle-tested in local and regional insurgencies than our military. The Chadians have been fighting all over the place & the subregion that another war with Nigeria will just be usual play in the park. I don't think Deby too will take on Nigeria in its weakened state (unless he is backed by France which will also back Cameroon to fight us) but Nigerians as of now, should not even dream along the direction of invading Chad. Many Nigerians like Ali Modu Sheriff actually have their roots in Chad and many of these Nigerians have more loyalty to Chad than Nigeria. Such ties are tribal and have no respect for national borders. Shagari had to deport some of these people back to Chad because they were causing trouble in Nigeria. Chad's population may be less than that of Lagos but when you look at how militarized and weaponized and battle-ready the people are, na for you to just waka pass.
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by topstone4: 4:25pm On Apr 05, 2020
Ayesman:
I Right now, we are weakened s.

They are weakened against Chad, but strong against unarmed civilians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by Nigeriabiafra80: 4:26pm On Apr 05, 2020
Horus:
hahahahhahahahahahhaha

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by CYBERWEAVER(m): 4:44pm On Apr 05, 2020
When is the War starting? Bloggers need topics for traffic jor
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by princemillla(m): 5:16pm On Apr 05, 2020
2014 gist?
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by bjtinz: 5:46pm On Apr 05, 2020
Gjfjdhchdbsowjshfb
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by emmysoftyou: 7:41pm On Apr 05, 2020
princemillla:
2014 gist?
very interesting..
Chadian president led his armies to conquered bokoharam warehouse..
Re: Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army by excanny: 12:39am On Apr 06, 2020
All Nigerian Army know is harrasing and killing unarmed civilians.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of APC Delegates Fighting And Sharing Money / President Barack Obama Searching For "West Germany" / Nigerians Reacts After Picture Of Buhari With Barrack And Michelle Obama Emerge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.