Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,143 members, 7,811,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria (2255 Views)

Anambra On The Verge Of Industrial Explosion! / 5 Popular Nigerians Who Died At The Verge Of Victory (Photos) / Obasanjo - PDP Faces Extinction In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by wesleyel: 7:57am On Dec 08, 2014
Anyone in his right mind would not turn deaf ears regarding the religious intolerance established by the past Nigerian leaders. I did promise that I would not make further statement regarding the issue of Sharia in Nigeria besides the four-part articles that I wrote and published by the www.nigeriaworld.com under featured articles. It seems as if the Government especially our Honorable members of the National Assembly, and the Justice Department do not read the handwriting on the wall. What I left out in the four-part article was how Nigeria became a member of the Organization of Islamic Council (OIC). What happened in Kaduna should never have happened if the government especially our Honorable members of the National Assembly take their responsibilities seriously.
My open letter to our Honorable members in September 1999, warned of the plan to slam Sharia Law on their face, which they did. The rural State of Zamfara threw the first punch, followed by Niger State and now the other States are throwing their punches on Sharia Law. You know when a rat is yelling at a cat, definitely, there is a hole nearby, where he can escape in case the cat charges at him. Who is behind this mayhem of Sharia Law? I don't think any human being has the moral right to tell me whom or what I should believe in, and how I should worship whatsoever, whomsoever I believe. How did Nigeria get into this mess? We need to ask our Surgeon General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida that question.
GOLDEN NUGGET
The OIC efforts in its quest to Islamize Nigeria continued throughout the 1980s, while opposition to the establishment of the Sharia Law in Nigeria continued to mount. Is Nigeria on the brink of a religious war? I do believe that, if care is not taken, the already charged atmosphere could result in chains of civil disobedience as we are witnessing now.

In 1986, the news that Nigeria had joined the OIC as a member nation spread like wildfire in Nigeria. It coincided with the ongoing political debate, and once again reopened the issue of Sharia, which dragged on to the 1988 Constituent Assembly deliberations. The Political Bureau endorsed the Government decision to join the OIC. It commended that: "Nigeria's diplomatic representation at the Vatican should continue as well as the country's admission into the OIC if that has already been concluded. If not, it should be done."
The Political Bureau's recommendation encouraged the Government to come out and confirm the Nigerian membership of the OIC. One of the five Nigerian dailies, The Guardian, first broke the news that Nigeria had been admitted into the OIC, quoting the Agence France Press, a wire service based in Paris. The decision for Nigeria to join the OIC was believed to have been taken unilaterally by Babangida. His second in command, the then Chief of General Staff, Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe, and the Minister of Information, Col. Anthony Ukpo, denied knowledge of the Nigerian membership in the OIC.
However, the Government response to the Nigerian membership of the OIC was that Nigeria was one of the founding member nations of OIC, and that other secular African countries were members of the OIC. Defending the Government action, late Sheik Gumi wrongly stated that even Kenya had joined the OIC. Furthermore, Rilwanu Lukman, Petroleum Minister (who led the Nigerian delegation to Morocco when Nigeria became a member in 1986), stated that: "Joining the OIC does not make Nigeria an Islamic State as it did not make other member States like Gabon, Cameroon, Benin, Sierra Leone, and a host of others." What makes the issue of Sharia more complex in Nigeria today is that the proponents of Sharia Law in Nigeria, are now in Obasanjo's administration.
The Government's justification notwithstanding, the Christians pointed out that the OIC was a religious organization. Otherwise, Babangida would not have acted single-handedly on the OIC without the consent of the Armed Forces Ruling Council, which created some fears among non-Moslems, among which are some of the objects set by the OIC: "To promote Islamic solidarity among member States; to coordinate efforts for the safeguard of the holy places and support of the struggle of the people of Palestine and help them to regain their rights and liberate their land; To strengthen the struggle of all Moslem people with a view to safeguarding their dignity, independence and national rights."
The public fears were further fueled by a letter from the Christian Council of South Africa, addressed to the Elders-in-Charge of the churches and Christian missions in Nigeria, written in October 1988. The letter warned of the imminent plan to disrupt Nigeria. It revealed the: "Proposed plot by northern Moslems and their Arab OIC supporters to destroy churches, carry out mass murder of Christians in Nigeria [with more intensity in the Northern States of Nigeria); Counterplot by the South African Defence Forces to launch an offensive on Nigeria to defeat the Arabs and their OIC-backed Northern Nigerian Moslems."
The letter further alleged that the Pretoria regime agreed to support the plan to use some of its military equipment to help, and Libya offered to assist if need be. It concluded that: "It is worthy of note to inform you that all highly placed Muslim members of the Armed Forces Ruling Council of Nigeria are in support of these plans by Arab and OIC backed northern Muslims to destroy Christianity in Nigeria, as they wish to formally declare an Islamic Republic early next year [1989] [a course to which they are irrevocably committed."
Another document, which pointed to the steps of bringing religion into the Nigerian body politic, was a letter written from the Arab African International Bank (AAIB) dated August 3, 1989. The letter identified four prominent Nigerian top Government officials as owners of some bank accounts. (As an individual's private account is not my immediate concern, although it might have some remote effect or implication on the Government on Islamic affairs, I will not go into the details of the individuals' account number how much is in the account.)
The Government connection with the bank was revealed in the letter, stating that: "We confirm that the sum of US21billion was transferred through us |[AAIB] by three Swiss Banks as the Federal Government of Nigeria's special donation to the Islamic Development Fund of the OIC for the total Islamization of Nigeria in particular and Africa in general."
Another letter from the Islam in Africa Organization's London branch purported to be the OIC's African arm (headquarters in Abuja), was addressed to Babangida. It was dated February 5, 1990, and stated among other things that: "It is our pleasure once again to thank you this time around through this medium for having graciously donated on behalf of Nigeria the sum of $21 billion to the OIC to facilitate our mutual task of spreading Islam not only in Nigeria, but in Africa as a whole. We are, too pleased to notice that you have partially commenced the Islamization of Nigeria through placement of Muslims in strategic positions."
The letter urged Babangida, as a matter of urgency, to initiate the moves to implement the stated OIC policies and programs, among which are to: " . . . impose Sharia Law on Nigeria, Islamize all Universities, Colleges and Schools, and Courts in the Federal Islamic Sultanate of Nigeria."
Given the validity of these documents, the already strained relationship between the Moslems and other religious groups, especially Christians, would be further inflated. The letter from the Arab African International Bank might have been exaggerated; however, I am of the opinion that some public money was transferred to the coffers of the OIC from the Nigerian Government of IBB.)
Non-Moslems conceived steps taken by the Government as a gradual way of establishing Sharia Law in Nigeria. If I might argue, in order to establish complete temporal power, the Moslems would like to divorce Nigeria from the laws originally established by Great Britain. Also, the Islamization of the Nigerian Government would require the complete uprooting of all western forms of legal and judicial systems. As surely as oil and water do not mix, neither do democratic principles and Islamic Law (i.e., the Sharia)? Where is Nigeria heading? To confirm my assertion, the Islam in Africa Organization held a conference in Abuja on November 28, 1989, and resolved among other things: "To ensure the ultimate replacement of all western forms of legal and judicial systems with the Sharia in all member nations before the next Islam in Africa Conference. . . . The conference notes the yearnings of Muslims everywhere on the continent who have been deprived of their rights to be governed by the Sharia and urges them to intensify efforts in the struggle to reinstate the application of the Sharia."
The OIC efforts in its quest to Islamize Nigeria continued throughout the 1980s, while opposition to the establishment of the Sharia Law in Nigeria continued to mount. Is Nigeria on the brink of a religious war? I do believe that, if care is not taken, the already charged atmosphere could result in chains of civil disobedience as we are witnessing now. Is Waku right about his call for the Coupist to come back?
Related in part to the OIC issue was the question of the Islamic Development Bank. It was believed that the bank would be able to bail out Nigeria from its economic woes through the interest-free loans. The OIC was capable of paying the colossal external indebtedness of Nigeria to the West. On the question of the bank, one of the Nigerian newspapers, The Guardian, stated that: "One benefit Nigeria stands to enjoy in the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) . . . is that whatever assistance she gets in return will be entirely without payable interest . . . compassionate offices must have been the main lure for the overwhelming bloc of African members in the wealthy IDB." Still on the IDB, especially on its loans, if I may argue the Islamic principle upheld in Sharia Law supporting "interest free loans" is called "riba," meaning the abolition of interest. This economic system falsely represents to provide interest free banking service. This is only a delusion because a variety of other obligatory fees and hidden costs are required instead.
From the moment that Nigeria became a member of the OIC, the Nigerian-Israeli Association formed in 1989, which for many years had been propagandists of diplomatic relations with Israel, quickly sprang up. They called for Nigeria's renewal of diplomatic relations with Israel. The advocates saw their demands as an opportunity to balance for Christians what the OIC is for Moslems.
To the Arabs (Moslems), Israel is probably a "terrorist" nation, which has used its superior technology, and military might to terrorize, intimidate, and humiliate its weaker neighbors-the Arabs. During Buhari's regime, two prominent traditional rulers-the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuade, and the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero were publicly humiliated in August 1984 for their visit to Israel. They were suspended as Chairman of their respective State Councils of Traditional Rulers.
Junaid Mohammed, a parliamentarian in the Second Republic of Nigeria (1979-1983) made reference to the feelings of the Moslems in Nigeria on how Israel had repeatedly: ". . . caused the desecration and, in fact, twice bombed and set fire to the Holy Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. Al-Aqsa is Islam's third holiest shrine, coming only after the Kaaba Shrine in Mecca and Prophet Mohammed's Mausoleum in Medina."
The severance of diplomatic relations with Israel occurred in 1974 when it attacked Egypt. However, in the late 1970s, Egypt renewed diplomatic relations with Israel. Also, Israel had chains of businesses in Nigeria, such as the National Insurance Corporations of Nigeria, Reynolds Construction Company, Solel Boneh, Afro Continental Dizpharm (Nig.) Limited, and Dizengoff West Africa (Nig.) Limited.
All the facts presented in my previous four-part articles and this one showed how religion became politicized as a result of the Government's intervention, patronage, and favoritism on religious matters. In the past Military administrations the Nigerian Government, especially Babangida's went neck-deep on religious matters, especially on the issue of the OIC. It was believed to be the backbone for the possible establishment of the Sharia Law. On the OIC issue, someone opined that: "The President [Babangida] should be held solely responsible if a religious conflict grips Nigeria today, because Nigerians are aware that the OIC decision was taken single-handedly by the President."
We are aware of the fact that religion is essentially and primarily an individual affair. Some may argue that religion is a communal affair. However, I would assert that it is only in religious extremism that domination, discrimination, and persecution is placed, as discussed by Babangida's administration. Nonetheless, I allude to the fact that the ethics of each religion demand love, peace, justice, and tolerance of other people and religions. In the quest for personal political gains, individual religious leaders and a handful of politicians exploited the underprivileged masses. In effect, the ruling elite used religious sentiments to polarize the people and created unnecessary and unhealthy tension.
As pointed out in my first part Sharia Law and Nigeria Unity published by www.nigeriaworld.com, if Nigeria is to grow socially, politically, and economically, the politicization of religion must cease. I join other Nigerians to warn the Government to desist from actions and policies which directly or indirectly violate the Constitutional secularity of Nigeria. Suffice it to say that the least one might do is to borrow a leaf from the former Zambian President's model, who stated that: "Zambia is a country of many religions. . . . I did not feel it was my place as President of the Republic to adjudicate between them, to declare this religion or that "Official," so far as the State is concerned. Each has the right to exist and it is my desire that believers of all faiths should live together in harmony. We are after all human beings. We certainly cannot add religious divisions to the tribal [ethnic] differences, which threaten our national unity. There is nothing more unedifying than watching devotees' batter themselves into submission in the name of the only true God."
Nigerian past leaders had adjudicated between these various religious groups in Nigeria as the "Official" State religion. Quite unfortunately, religion had been added to the already ethnic divisions in the Nigerian political process. I believe that this is a salient food-for-thought for Nigerian leaders and those who have the best interests and the love of the nation at heart. The Nigerian National Anthem, in part, clearly requests: "O God of creation, direct our noble cause, guide thou our leaders right . . . to build a nation where peace and justice reign."
Thank you.

Dr. Femi Ajayi, Ph.D.,
Government Affairs and Public Relations Consultant
Atlanta, Georgia

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by wesleyel: 8:02am On Dec 08, 2014
What most Christians don't know about and yet they criticise the only christian president we have had for a long time not knowing the hidden battles his fighting and those that are DEDICATED to his failure because of their hidden agenda. God help us in this troubled times.

5 Likes

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Caseless: 8:32am On Dec 08, 2014
wesleyel:
What most Christians don't know about and yet they criticise the only christian president we have had for a long time not knowing the hidden battles his fighting and those that are DEDICATED to his failure because of their hidden agenda. God help us in this troubled times.
u are the most foolish christain ever 'owned' by a man as his son. You cant be more stuupid.

7 Likes

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by temitemi1(m): 8:36am On Dec 08, 2014
This is why every right thinking christian must forbid buhari from becoming president. No one, I mean no being can rule out JESUS christ out of this land called Nigeria... GEJ till 2019!!!

9 Likes

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by ZKOSOSO(m): 8:54am On Dec 08, 2014
Caseless:
u are the most foolish christain ever 'owned' by a man as his son. You cant be more stuupid.

Look @ u. Just take a look @ how ur brain functions! Poor!!

Sharia all over the world is satanic tool of oppression.
A blind jungle justice that reduces human sense of emotion and compassion to zero.
Evil. Total babarism!! God forbid bad thing like sharia for nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Samunique(m): 9:03am On Dec 08, 2014
Caseless:
why are u insulting him, can't u make ur own contribution without this rain of insults?

With what u did now, u just made yourself more foolish than the person you called most foolish.

I think u are very emotional bcs of the OP write up?

Anyway, we know those things already and i can assure anyone who cares to listen that Nigeria belongs to GOD no one will/can Islamise this country!!!!

As for sharia in Nigeria, i know that barbarism is what BH are killing and being killed for.

IN THE VOICE OF OBJ, I JOIN TO SAY IT( Sharia) WILL DIE A NATURAL DEATH, CAUSE NO SANE AND CIVILISED SOCIETY WILL LIKE TO BE GOVERNED BY IT. Expect the barbarians!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Safari29: 9:03am On Dec 08, 2014
ori yin tiyi
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by xamiel: 9:15am On Dec 08, 2014
Scaremonger.
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by SeverusSnape(m): 9:25am On Dec 08, 2014
Caseless:
caseless, Why did you stoop so low?...you mustn't insult him to make your point. Please act civil next time.

1 Like

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Caseless: 10:03am On Dec 08, 2014
SeverusSnape:

caseless, Why did you stoop so low?...you mustn't insult him to make your point. Please act civil next time.
he pushed me. I hate it when people subscribe to religious card. How can anyone link gej's failure to religion? The dude went far to call gej a christain president as if only christains voted him in 2011. What kind of hidden battle as highlighted in that post, is gej is fighting with muslims that's making him to under-perform as a president? Chide d guy for posting that, and not me for reacting.

3 Likes

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by SeverusSnape(m): 10:13am On Dec 08, 2014
Caseless:
he pushed me. I hate it when people subscribe to religious card. How can anyone link gej's failure to religion? The dude went far to call gej a christain president as if only christains voted him in 2011. What kind of hidden battle as highlighted in that post, is gej is fighting with muslims that's making him to under-perform as a president? Chide d guy for posting that, and not me for reacting.
you're right, What he said to a large extent is wrong, but then again, Two wrongs cannot make a right; you should have put him in his place constructively.
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Caseless: 10:53am On Dec 08, 2014
SeverusSnape:

you're right, What he said to a large extent is wrong, but then again, Two wrongs cannot make a right; you should have put him in his place constructively.
thank u for d correction. I'm Sorry about that.

3 Likes

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Mogidi: 11:22am On Dec 08, 2014
Caseless:

You muslims never cease to amaze with your level of violence. Can't we express ourselves without being chided by your ilk and what you lot stand for? SMH!!
BTW we are referred to as Christians and not christain as you wrote up there.

1 Like

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Caseless: 11:34am On Dec 08, 2014
Mogidi:

You muslims never cease to amaze with your level of violence. Can't we express ourselves without being chided by your ilk and what you lot stand for? SMH!!
BTW we are referred to as Christians and not christain as you wrote up there.
i really dont care!
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Orunto: 12:05pm On Dec 08, 2014
What most Nigerian Christians don't know and yet criticise the only very good Christian President Nigeria has had for a long time is this Islamic troubleshooting. Not knowing the hidden battles that GEJ is fighting and the problems he faces from those that are DEDICATED to his failure because of their hidden agenda, Christians keep watching, like dundee united, the Caliphate destroy this Nation with wreckless abandon and with this their Islamic domination. God help us in this troubled times. GEJ, The Lord is your strength. He will be your Hope, Power and Might. He will continue to be your Security, Safety and Success in The Mighty Name Of jesus Christ. The Lord watches over the ways of the Righteous, but the ways of the wicked shall perish. The Lord will destroy every religious machination in Nigeria for you. He will perish every political wickedness in the ways of your adversaries. God shall raise armies for you from the dust of Nigeria to defeat all hidden and open opposition to you in the name of Christ.AMEN!!! GEJ, you are already an overcomer! Keep doing it. The Lord is with you! IJN!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Nebuchadnezar: 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2014
Caseless:

Anu ofia
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by AbdH: 12:28pm On Dec 08, 2014
wesleyel:

Obasanjo is a Christian.

No Muslim can 'islamize' Nigeria under a democratic government.

Seun and mods should delete this divisive topic.
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by AbdH: 12:31pm On Dec 08, 2014
ZKOSOSO:

Look @ u. Just take a look @ how ur brain functions! Poor!!

Sharia all over the world is satanic tool of oppression.
A blind jungle justice that reduces human sense of emotion and compassion to zero.
Evil. Total babarism!! God forbid bad thing like sharia for nigeria.

The same Shari'a states like Qatar and Dubai that most christians abandon their countries for?

1 Like

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Jesusloveyou: 12:42pm On Dec 08, 2014
temitemi1:
This is why every right thinking christian must forbid buhari from becoming president. No one, I mean no being can rule out JESUS christ out of this land called Nigeria... GEJ till 2019!!!
is gej a christian?is not right to judge,but buhari do d will of God more than gej,d will of God says don't steal,don't drink and smoke.if gej is a true christian,why not ban drinking and smoking in public.his officials steal openning.we need change of attitude and leadership.
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by SeverusSnape(m): 12:46pm On Dec 08, 2014
Caseless:
thank u for d correction. I'm Sorry about that.
pleasure is mine sir.
Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by xcolanto(m): 1:44pm On Dec 08, 2014
I think getting nigeria signed into the OIC was unnecessary and only done for selfish and religious reasons not only to IBB who according to the write up, took this desicision single handily but also for the OIC itself.
This single unwarranted step (signing nigeria into OIC) put the christain folks on the edge, making them feel uneasy which made Isreal for its own selfish reason, extend a hand of balance by signing a treaty with the nigerian state in regards to the unequal treatment by the then government to Christians.

This for me is the beginning and birth of religious intolerance in Nigeria. Forget the talk of other african states like Cameroon et al were members bla bla bla.. The nigerian sate is perculiar to its own laws, people and principles. The aims and objectives of this OIC is enough to irk any sensible christain, why do such if not a party to what they seek to achieve. Little wonders MURIC was 'crying fowl' when they saw an acclaimed 'star of David' on the new 100 note.
There is just so much religious intorelance in the nigerian state, emanating from the Islamic folks. For years the Christians had been torrelant even when they have had their livelihood, homes and properties raised to durst in the north by boko and other uprising, the after election killing mostly southern christain corpers in 2011, the drawing of the prophet that spark protest here in the north which caused Mayham and destruction affecting the christain folks... Just to mention a few.
Could the Muslim folks turn 'the other cheek' if all these attacks were deliberately targeted at them?? Your guess is as good as mine.

The U.S.A prediction on nigeria's possible break up in 2015 comes to mind again. However this time I see religion playing a role in regards to its actualization. It's the only way this entity can divorce, the ethnic and tribes are too much to all hate on each other to a fault. However these tribes or ethnic groups are either predominantly Christians in the south or predominantly Muslim in the North (CNN).

While Nigerians are urged to restrain and abstain from all from of violence and religious intorelance in this upcoming elections, if any of OIC's aims and objectives is achieved in Nigeria come 2015! We know the man behind the ink (IBB).

1 Like

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2014
AbdH:

Obasanjo is a Christian.

No Muslim can 'islamize' Nigeria under a democratic government.

Seun and mods should delete this divisive topic.
why? Why should they delete it? Is he not saying the truth? I've stayed in the north for years before going to the south uhhhh? and I know Muslims(hausa Muslims to be precised) to be bloody fanatics who "think" they should head (even though they know they dont have the qualities) and then people who practise other religions (especially christianity) are no better than animals who should be killed or treated anyhow. Don't your people write rubbish against christianity in the religion section? Mtcheeew. If Seun deletes this topic, then he is a very big coward. I can understand him not pasting it on the front page (at least to show he's against intolerance abi?) but to delete it? Come on! This is "DEMOCRACY" what the op is saying is no secret again abi? I don't support it being on the front page sha but to delete it? That is a big "NO"

1 Like

Re: Christianity On The Verge Of Extinction In Nigeria by Etruth: 2:07pm On Dec 08, 2014
wesleyel:
Shut OP. Is Jonathan a Christian? Was Obasanjo a muslim? Since you are toying with Christianity, the mission upon which my LORD Jesus gave his life and also all the Apostles, and twisting it to hoodwink people for personal and political gains, the blood of the lamb that speaketh shall haunt you all your life. If you want to do politics, by all means go ahead and campaign for your paymaster.But to associate Jesus with this govt to just for political gains, you will suffer. Next time you d learn not to trifle with sacred things

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lamido’s Boycott Of Jonathan’s Campaign Worries Presidency - Punch / Buhari Tasks Jonathan On Railway: Show Us The Proof / Strictly For Hausas, Let Us Register Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.