Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? (3509 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by truthman2012(m): 9:03pm On Jan 09, 2015
slyfox5555:

The question is similar to asking why does "darkness" exist? Darkness exist because of the absence of Light. Evil exist because of the absence of God. God did not create evil. When you remove God's moral standards: you have a solid framework for evil.

Good.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 10:44pm On Jan 09, 2015
slyfox5555:

The question is similar to asking why does "darkness" exist?

Nope... They're not even remotely similar in any way

slyfox5555:

When you remove God's moral standards:

You mean men's moral standards that they claim was given to them by God.

slyfox5555:

Evil exist because of the absence of God

You mean "...absence of good." The opposite of light is darkness I can understand that but, God hasn't even been proven, you don't know what or how it looks like, all you have is a gddamn hunch based on theories written by some bedouin shepherds years back. So, how the hell did you manage to know it had an opposite not to talk of knowing that it's opposite is evil?

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by slyfox5555: 7:59am On Jan 11, 2015
LucemFerre

Nope... They're not even remotely similar in any way

How so?

You mean men's moral standards that they claim was given to them by God.

Really, can you prove how moral justification is a products of human-beings?

You mean "...absence of good." The opposite of light is darkness I can understand that but, God hasn't even been proven, you don't know what or how it looks like, all you have is a gddamn hunch based on theories written by some bedouin shepherds years back. So, how the hell did you manage to know it had an opposite not to talk of knowing that it's opposite is evil?

The same old school-boy argument grin. Since you are an intelligent person - can you prove something that we are familiar with. What you prove energy or tell me what it looks like?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 11:54am On Jan 11, 2015
slyfox5555:
LucemFerre
How so?

Good and evil are relative, light and darkness aren't.

slyfox5555:

Really, can you prove how moral justification is a products of human-beings?

Don't shift the burden of proof. Morality exists and God hasn't been proven to exist, it is only logical to conclude that the Bible/Qur'an was written by men who claim voices in their head told them to.

slyfox5555:
The same old school-boy argument grin. Since you are an intelligent person - can you prove something that we are familiar with. What you prove energy or tell me what it looks like?

From my experience, people who sound unnecessarily condescending are mostly people who have very little or no knowledge about a topic. For God's sake and for yours too I hope you are not one of them.

Anyway, I don't know what you mean by
slyfox5555:
What you prove energy or tell me what it looks like?
I don't want to misunderstand you but, I guess you wanted to write "Can you prove energy or tell me what it looks like?"
(Correct me if I'm wrong)
And I am highly surprised and disappointed that you are asking me to prove energy. Anyway, here goes... Slam your phone on the wall... Now, that ability that enabled you to temporarily oppose gravity a little bit to transfer your phone from one point to another is energy.

It is a non-physical existence that manifests by it's effect on physical objects. And that is a one way theory. The theory of an invisible God is a two way theory... It's either it (God) did it or it didn't (independent progressive natural process)
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by slyfox5555: 1:52pm On Jan 11, 2015
LucemFerre

Good and evil are relative, light and darkness aren't.

So, murder is relative? How so? I don't get where you are going with light and darkness part

Don't shift the burden of proof. Morality exists and God hasn't been proven to exist, it is only logical to conclude that the Bible/Qur'an was written by men who claim voices in their head told them to.

I am not talking about the existence of morality; I am talking about the justification of morality - two BIG differences. On what basis, can you say something is right or wrong or something is good or evil?

I don't want to misunderstand you but, I guess you wanted to write "Can you prove energy or tell me what it looks like?"
(Correct me if I'm wrong)

You are not wrong; I was typing too fast and wrote the wrong thing

And I am highly surprised and disappointed that you are asking me to prove energy. Anyway, here goes... Slam your phone on the wall... Now, that ability that enabled you to temporarily oppose gravity a little bit to transfer your phone from one point to another is energy.

You have explained the transfer of energy from one form (force - slamming or throwing your phone) to another (friction - the phone hitting the wall) - that doesn't tell us what energy is or what it looks like?

It is a non-physical existence that manifests by it's effect on physical objects. And that is a one way theory.

You came close i.e. the non-physical part and you are right; the effects of energy on physical objects can be seen. However, none of us knows what energy is or what it looks like - we call it energy just to give it a name. You just confirmed it's non-physical/invisible; yet you believe it.

The theory of an invisible God is a two way theory... It's either it (God) did it or it didn't (independent progressive natural process)

Two way or two thousand ways - makes no difference. The principle is the same. Remember, you termed energy as the non-physical existence. At this point, I will ask you what you mean by that - I don't want to assume.

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Owliver(m): 2:10pm On Jan 11, 2015
Illustration from Bible perspective In the garden of Eden God made it perfect then he put the forbidden fruit of sin. He could have removed the forbidden fruit but left it and warned adam. Do not eat from it. He gave life and death and then he said "choose life" He is a democratic God. He does not force you to serve him. He gives us free will. Happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 4:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
slyfox5555:
LucemFerre
So, murder is relative? How so? I don't get where you are going with light and darkness part

I mean good and evil are dependent. Without conscious beings they won't exist as good and evil. Light and darkness are independent existential REALITIES.

slyfox5555:
I am not talking about the existence of morality; I am talking about the justification of morality - two BIG differences. On what basis, can you say something is right or wrong or something is good or evil?

I wasn't talking about the existence of morality either I used the analogy to prove that moral model was created by human beings.

slyfox5555:
You are not wrong; I was typing too fast and wrote the wrong thing
You have explained the transfer of energy from one form (force - slamming or throwing your phone) to another (friction - the phone hitting the wall) - that doesn't tell us what energy is or what it looks like?

Energy is the property of matter and radiation which is manifest as a capacity to perform work (such as causing motion or the interaction of molecules) - Google

I do not know what energy looks like though.

slyfox5555:
You came close i.e. the non-physical part and you are right; the effects of energy on physical objects can be seen. However, none of us knows what energy is or what it looks like - we call it energy just to give it a name. You just confirmed it's non-physical/invisible; yet you believe it.

I believe because it's effect is a fact not a probability that "God's" impact is.

slyfox5555:
Two way or two thousand ways - makes no difference. The principle is the same. Remember, you termed energy as the non-physical existence. At this point, I will ask you what you mean by that - I don't want to assume.

I'm just saying, you are driving towards asking me why I believe in energy when it is invisible and not believe in an invisible God. So, I gave the answer... because we can see the manifestation of what we call energy and there is no other way to look at it. While on the other hand what people call the manifestation of God's work is logical in two ways as I have said earlier... I'm a realist on this matter so, I can't just choose to take one explanation based on preference.

Now back to the matter of saying evil exists because of the absence of God... I say, It is highly inappropriate to base a theory (evil exists) on a probabilistic evidence(God). That was why I went around talking about the truth about creation by God. It would be more appropriate (convenient debatable point) however, to say evil (an objective fact) exists because of the absence of good (another objective fact). Despite that isn't even why evil exist. The absence of good isn't always evil and the absence of evil isn't always good but, that's another story... Don't wanna get into that now.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by Lex11(m): 5:37pm On Jan 11, 2015
There are many things that we cannot fully comprehend, but ultimately... "The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works." - Psalm 145:17
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 5:43pm On Jan 11, 2015
malvisguy212:
You guys were running rampant , to and fro. Shouting God created evil, seeking who to devour and confusing innocent christians, hope you all have know the truth , God did not create evil but allow evil to exist for human to have option to love or hate God.

Are you saying evil is as self existing as God?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 6:59pm On Jan 11, 2015
Owliver:
Illustration from Bible perspective In the garden of Eden God made it perfect then he put the forbidden fruit of sin. He could have removed the forbidden fruit but left it and warned adam. Do not eat from it. He gave life and death and then he said "choose life" He is a democratic God. He does not force you to serve him. He gives us free will. Happy sunday

Each time you people mention free will you scratch your God's reputation. If you create a robot WITH THE ABILITY TO RUN AND WALK then you tell it to walk and then it ran. Would you punish the robot for running (wickedness) or would you punish yourself for creating it with the POSSIBILITY of both actions (justice). Either way the conventional characteristics of God is at stake but, what do you think?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 7:02pm On Jan 11, 2015
jdilight:

God is not self existent, God is mind dependent (faith)
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 7:07pm On Jan 11, 2015
LucemFerre:

God is not self existent, God is mind dependent (faith)

So God's existence started with man as against the teaching he existed before anything?

Also are you saying faith created God?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 7:15pm On Jan 11, 2015
jdilight:

So God's existence started with man as against the teaching he existed before anything?

Also are you saying faith created God?

Yep... You are smart
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 7:28pm On Jan 11, 2015
LucemFerre:

Yep... You are smart

Lol bro, God created everything from faith to evil. Without him was not anything made that was made..Evil inclusive. The bad thing about evil is its use and so good. If neither is use no result.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 8:06pm On Jan 11, 2015
jdilight:

evil is not really a created
thing. You can't see, touch, feel, smell or
hear evil. It is not one of the
fundamental forces of physics, nor does
it consist of matter, energy, or the spatial
dimensions of the universe.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 8:10pm On Jan 11, 2015
malvisguy212:
evil is not really a created
thing. You can't see, touch, feel, smell or
hear evil. It is not one of the
fundamental forces of physics, nor does
it consist of matter, energy, or the spatial
dimensions of the universe.

Can you touch good or Satan or angels?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 8:18pm On Jan 11, 2015
jdilight:

Can you touch good or Satan or angels?
a sinner cannot touch God, and we all have sinned ,when God create adam and eve, He talk to them have a relationship with them until they sinned.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 8:27pm On Jan 11, 2015
malvisguy212:
a sinner cannot touch God, and we all have sinned ,when God create adam and eve, He talk to them have a relationship with them until they sinned.

I didn't put God there. I said can you touch good or Satan or angels or air or light
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 8:33pm On Jan 11, 2015
jdilight:

I didn't put God there. I said can you touch good or Satan or angels or air or light
satan and angels are spirit, you can fell the air,light is the absent if darkness but Good is in the same category of evil.you can't touch good or evil.what your points?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 8:39pm On Jan 11, 2015
malvisguy212:
satan and angels are spirit, you can fell the air,light is the absent if darkness but Good is in the same category of evil.you can't touch good or evil.what your points?

My point is all things were made by God. Evil, good, throne which can not be touched, dominion, ppprincipality, powers can not be touched but were created by God.

They all have their purpose.

Do you know why l stop writing here? It is only God that can draw man to himself. Logic cannot do it. Gods ways are not our ways, everything has its purpose in God
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by slyfox5555: 8:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
[quote author=LucemFerre

I mean good and evil are dependent. Without conscious beings they won't exist as good and evil. Light and darkness are independent existential REALITIES.

First of all, darkness doesn't exist as we can't measure it. Besides that, the same rule applies, light and darkness will not exist without conscious beings as one have to be conscious to know they exist. You have to be conscious to know what light is; the same way you have to be conscious to know what morality is. However, my point was morality is not the same as human behavior. The fact that murder is wrong is not a human invention.

I wasn't talking about the existence of morality either I used the analogy to prove that moral model was created by human beings.

No it wasn't. Simple example; let us say there were no laws that defined murder and rape was wrong. Someone raped your sister and killed your brother - on what basis would you say what they did was wrong?

Energy is the property of matter and radiation which is manifest as a capacity to perform work (such as causing motion or the interaction of molecules) - Google

You have defined the transfer of energy and the effects of energy but still haven't told me what it is. Truth is - no one knows; not even the wisest of scientist.

I do not know what energy looks like though.

Thanks for been honest. That is the point after all; you are not the only one that doesn't know what it looks like or it's origin. However, we don't call you irrational or intellectually dishonest because you don't know what energy, it's origin or what it looks like.

I believe because it's effect is a fact not a probability that "God's" impact is.

I didn't ask you for the effects of energy. I asked you what it was/is. What it looks like or where did it come from. It's effect can clearly be seen. My point is simple - you believe in something that you don't know what it looks like, it's origin or what it is.

I'm just saying, you are driving towards asking me why I believe in energy when it is invisible and not believe in an invisible God. So, I gave the answer... because we can see the manifestation of what we call energy and there is no other way to look at it. While on the other hand what people call the manifestation of God's work is logical in two ways as I have said earlier... I'm a realist on this matter so, I can't just choose to take one explanation based on preference.

I asked you because the same standard you used to describe energy i.e. non-physical or meta-physical. You confirmed that you don't know what it looks like or it's origin. You are not using the same standard when it comes God. You are not being objective when applying the same criteria to the concept of a meta-physical being called God.

Now back to the matter of saying evil exists because of the absence of God... I say, It is highly inappropriate to base a theory (evil exists) on a probabilistic evidence(God). That was why I went around talking about the truth about creation by God. It would be more appropriate (convenient debatable point) however, to say evil (an objective fact) exists because of the absence of good (another objective fact). Despite that isn't even why evil exist. The absence of good isn't always evil and the absence of evil isn't always good but, that's another story... Don't wanna get into that now.

It is nice debating with you - I like the fact that you are straight-forward and generally objective. My point is simple, like energy, morality is a meta-physical principle that is justified by a God that gave it. Without morality, the best you can say when something is evil is that - "to you, you don't like it but you have no justifiable basis to say its evil or wrong".

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 8:53pm On Jan 11, 2015
jdilight:

Lol bro, God created everything from faith to evil. Without him was not anything made that was made..Evil inclusive. The bad thing about evil is its use and so good. If neither is use no result.

Hmmm... God made evil (a force as strong as it (God) is) and punish us for choosing it... Aint that a b|+ch... Who's he f\/|<ing with? Us?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 8:57pm On Jan 11, 2015
LucemFerre:

Hmmm... God made evil (a force as strong as it (God) is) and punish us for choosing it... Aint that a b|+ch... Who's he f\/|<ing with? Us?

Do you know how we all became sinners? Give me your opinion, l want to show you something.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 9:15pm On Jan 11, 2015
jdilight:

My point is all things were made by God. Evil, good, throne which can not be touched, dominion, ppprincipality, powers can not be touched but were created by God.

They all have their purpose.

Do you know why l stop writing here? It is only God that can draw man to himself. Logic cannot do it. Gods ways are not our ways, everything has its purpose in God
I see your points, and am happy you are not an atheists. Read the thread again, I believe all what you need to know is in there. Thank you for your contribution.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by jdilight(m): 9:19pm On Jan 11, 2015
malvisguy212:
I see your points, and am happy you are not an atheists. Read the thread again, I believe all what you need to know is in there. Thank you for your contribution.

Bros atheists is spiritually blind, a spiritist has more hope. Don't waste your time, say what you want to say and get going.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 8:22am On Jan 12, 2015
slyfox5555:

First of all, darkness doesn't exist as we can't measure it.

You don't mean that, do you?

slyfox5555:
Besides that, the same rule applies, light and darkness will not exist without conscious beings as one have to be conscious to know they exist.

Right, "One has to be conscious of them to KNOW they exist." Not, "they exist because one is conscious of them"

What you should have said is, "KNOWLEDGE of light and darkness would not exist without conscious beings." If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there, does it make a sound? Yes, but, there was no one to hear it.

slyfox5555:
You have to be conscious to know what light is; the same way you have to be conscious to know what morality is. However, my point was morality is not the same as human behavior. The fact that murder is wrong is not a human invention.

No it wasn't. Simple example; let us say there were no laws that defined murder and rape was wrong. Someone raped your sister and killed your brother - on what basis would you say what they did was wrong?

"Do unto others as you would want done to you" and please don't quote Jesus... The history of the rule dates as far back as around 600 BC.

slyfox5555:
You have defined the transfer of energy and the effects of energy but still haven't told me what it is. Truth is - no one knows; not even the wisest of scientist.

Thanks for been honest. That is the point after all; you are not the only one that doesn't know what it looks like or it's origin. However, we don't call you irrational or intellectually dishonest because you don't know what energy, it's origin or what it looks like.

I didn't ask you for the effects of energy. I asked you what it was/is. What it looks like or where did it come from. It's effect can clearly be seen. My point is simple - you believe in something that you don't know what it looks like, it's origin or what it is.

I asked you because the same standard you used to describe energy i.e. non-physical or meta-physical. You confirmed that you don't know what it looks like or it's origin. You are not using the same standard when it comes God. You are not being objective when applying the same criteria to the concept of a meta-physical being called God.

It is nice debating with you - I like the fact that you are straight-forward and generally objective. My point is simple, like energy, morality is a meta-physical principle that is justified by a God that gave it. Without morality, the best you can say when something is evil is that - "to you, you don't like it but you have no justifiable basis to say its evil or wrong".

Again, refer to the Golden rule. And again not because I do not like it but, because I "act on the maxim that I wish it to be a universal rule"

I don't like repeating myself but, here it is one more time... If you say "God gave the principle that justifies morality" you'd be begging the question because God hasn't been factually proven. And an unproven God appears to be a valid factor in all your argument. Your arguments fall flat. So, I say (again)... Morality is a fact but, God is a probability and humans are real so, it would be logical to conclude that humans develop morality as something embedded in their consciousness from birth.
And that is the same reason why I'm not treating the existence of God the same way I would treat any other objective reality.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 8:26am On Jan 12, 2015
jdilight:

Do you know how we all became sinners? Give me your opinion, l want to show you something.

What do you mean by sin? Then sinners?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by LucemFerre: 8:31am On Jan 12, 2015
jdilight:

Bros atheists is spiritually blind, a spiritist has more hope. Don't waste your time, say what you want to say and get going.

What do you mean by spiritually blind? How does a spiritualist have more hope? And hope for what?
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by slyfox5555: 6:33pm On Jan 12, 2015
LucemFerre

You don't mean that, do you?

I do, darkness can't be measured or observed. If it can, please teach us with examples

Right, "One has to be conscious of them to KNOW they exist." Not, "they exist because one is conscious of them"

Your first statement is correct. Your second statement doesn't do justice to the question. They exist whether we are conscious or not.

What you should have said is, "KNOWLEDGE of light and darkness would not exist without conscious beings." If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there, does it make a sound? Yes, but, there was no one to hear it.

Let me try and explain it a bit more - light and darkness will not exist to me if I wasn't conscious or if I wasn't born. However, that doesn't mean they are non-existent. My perception of reality doesn't negate the fact that they exist. If that wasn't clear, my apologies. Typical example, you are alive and aware that light exist as well as morality. Let us say you have a 15 year old son; 20 years ago - would he know if light or morality existed? We can both answer the question that he wouldn't have. However, you as his father knows that morality and light exist.

"Do unto others as you would want done to you" and please don't quote Jesus... The history of the rule dates as far back as around 600 BC.

This is an assumption on your part. I never brought Jesus into this or did I bring anyone or culture that pre-dates Jesus. I asked you a simple question in response to your statement that morality was a human invention - let us say there were no laws that defined murder and rape was wrong. Someone raped your sister and killed your brother - on what basis would you say what they did was wrong?

Again, refer to the Golden rule. And again not because I do not like it but, because I "act on the maxim that I wish it to be a universal rule"

The question then is - if the golden rule was a human invention: When and who created it?

I don't like repeating myself but, here it is one more time... If you say "God gave the principle that justifies morality" you'd be begging the question because God hasn't been factually proven. And an unproven God appears to be a valid factor in all your argument. Your arguments fall flat.

I don't want to get into the God is not proven argument; that is a whole new ball-game. Hence the reason I used energy as an example

So, I say (again)... Morality is a fact but, God is a probability and humans are real so, it would be logical to conclude that humans develop morality as something embedded in their consciousness from birth.

Would be logical to say humans developed light following your line of thought?

And that is the same reason why I'm not treating the existence of God the same way I would treat any other objective reality.

Depends on how you arrive at objective reality. Can God be scientifically proven - I don't think so. However, it's how you define proof. Proof can also be "beyond reasonable doubt". The same way we can say we don't know what energy is but we know it exist because we see it's effects

1 Like

Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by malvisguy212: 12:06pm On Feb 22, 2015
slyfox5555:

The question is similar to asking why does "darkness" exist? Darkness exist because of the absence of Light. Evil exist because of the absence of God. God did not create evil. When you remove God's moral standards: you have a solid framework for evil.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by An2elect2(f): 4:53pm On May 30, 2015
Thank you Malvisguy212 for this thread. Will go through later.
Re: Did God Create Evil - Does The Bible Say So? by tpiadotcom: 7:18pm On Nov 20, 2015
slyfox5555:

The question is similar to asking why does "darkness" exist? Darkness exist because of the absence of Light.

actually, light is the absence of darkness and darkness generally seeks to cover light.

but your post is noteworthy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Did Cain Get His Wife From? / Quran Surahs For Kids – Last 10 Surahs Of Quran / Warning: Don't Take The Covid-19 Vaxx (death Jab)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.