Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order (1002 Views)

Obasanjo’s Book "My Watch" About Atiku / My Watch: Obasanjo Is An Incredible Liar - Brig-Gen Alabi Isama / Watch Obasanjo On Bbc Hardtalk. Very Funny Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by slightlyMad(f): 7:40pm On Dec 11, 2014
A former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has appealed the order given by a Federal Capital Territory High Court judge, Justice Valentine Ashi, that security agents, including the police and men of the Department of State Service, to confiscate his latest autobiography, ‘My Watch’.

The judge has given this order after the ex-president went ahead on Tuesday in Lagos and presented the book to the public, disobeying the court’s restraining injunction.

However, Obasanjo noted that he was in no way “daring the court” as widely reported by some national newspapers, describing such publication as misleading.

This present action of the former president was prompted by the 21-day ultimatum given him by Justice Ashi within which he should explain why he should not be punished for flouting the court order.

The chairman, Mobilisation and Organisation Committee, Peoples Democratic Party, South West, Mr. Buruji Kashamu had instituted a legal action against some sections of the publication.

Obasanjo had through his legal team, led by Gboyega Oyewole filed an appeal challenging the confiscation order, citing 10 grounds to support the appeal and arguing that the trial judge erred in his ruling.

In the appeal with Suit No. CV/472/14, filed in a Federal High Court, Abuja, a copy which was made available to journalists in Abeokuta, the former president’s counsel contended that Obasanjo was dissatisfied with the ruling of the High Court and “appeal against the said ruling upon the ground set forth…”

Among the 10 grounds of appeal, the counsel averred, among others that: “The learned Trial Judge erred in law when he granted Interlocutory Orders of Injunction which inter alia restrained the Defendant from the publication of his book “My Watch” or the content of the letter to the President which is the subject of the suit before the trial judge in the said book.

“There was uncontradicted affidavit evidence that the defendant’s book “My Watch” had been published and released to the public before the making of the Interlocutory Order.

“The Plaintiff never alluded to this fact in his affidavit before the court. It is settled law that an Injunction does not lie to restrain a completed act. His Lordship failed and/or neglected to allude to the affidavit evidence before making the Interlocutory Order.

“The learned trial Judge erred in law and exercised its discretion wrongfully in granting the Orders of Interlocutory Injunction subject of this appeal against the defendant restraining him from publishing his book “My Watch” or publishing his letter subject of the suit in the said book. ”

Meanwhile, one of the aides of Obasanjo at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta, Mr. Vitalise Ortese on Thursday exonerated his principal from deliberately flouting a court order.

In a statement he signed, and made available to our correspondent, he said since the news of the said order broke, he (Obasanjo) has been receiving calls from concerned friends far and near and he was constrained to make this release and present the facts as they relate to the book and it’s public presentation.

Ortese said, “Chief Olusegun Obasanjo wishes to state that the media reports which convey the impression that he intended to ‘dare or confront a judge or the judiciary’ is highly misleading.

“Far from this, on the contrary, the former president is a law abiding citizen who will only pursue his rights within the law and will not ‘dare’ a judge or knowingly flout an order of a Court of competent jurisdiction.

“The former President wishes to make it clear that in the first instance, no formal order from Justice Ashi was served and received by either himself or by proxy regarding any injunction restraining the publication of the book, “My Watch” which from the records was already in circulation.”

He added that Obasanjo has directed his lawyers to appeal against the orders and seek a suspension or stay of execution of these orders.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/inadequate-security-impediment-to-credible-elections-inec/
Re: My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by exe0(m): 7:47pm On Dec 11, 2014
200 post

1 Like

Re: My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by exe0(m): 7:48pm On Dec 11, 2014
Brobro : THE YOUNG SHALL GROW AND THE GROW SHALL DIE!!!
Re: My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 11, 2014
Y d restriction on d book?...A former president of d nation z writin a book 4 d 1st tym nd u re restrictin him frm doin so,y z dat?
Many of d past leaders ddnt write a book lettin all their experiences died wif dem.
Nawa 4 we government oo
Re: My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by chinwike2(m): 8:41pm On Dec 11, 2014
Who wants this space ? Am getting tired of this old man
Re: My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by Ololanla: 8:47pm On Dec 11, 2014
Okay

1 Like

Re: My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by Giannakopoulos(f): 9:26pm On Dec 11, 2014
Ok
Re: My Watch: Obasanjo Appeals Confiscation Order by SOUNDKING: 11:25pm On Dec 11, 2014
Joseph in d bible was from prison to palace and he never went back, but it seems this our own Joseph won break record.

(1) (Reply)

Meet The 3 Expendables Of Nigeria - Photos / Adebisi Alimi: Gay Nigerian Actor Puts His Sexuality In The Spotlight / What I Notice About GMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.