Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,372 members, 7,836,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book (1406 Views)

Senator Chukwumerije is Dead? / Buhari's Victory Celebration At Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park In Ojota, Lagos / Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by Rizstar: 12:03pm On Dec 13, 2014
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has showered praises on late Gani Fawehinmi, lawyer and activist, who was a thorn in the flesh of successive administrations in Nigeria, describing him as one of the most genuine politico-social critics in the history of the country.

Mr. Obasanjo was effusive in his praise of Mr. Fawehinmi just as he lampooned Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka, and Senator Uche Chukwumerije, describing them as self-serving activists.

Writing in his new autobiography, My Watch, the former president said the late Senior Advocate of Nigeria was not just a critic of his government, but was also the counsel to his ex-wife, Remi, during the couple’s messy divorce.

“Gani was to me a fearless, genuine politico-social critic, who drew no distinction between friends and associates or on ethnicity, geography or religion,” Mr. Obasanjo wrote. “He believed in what he did and did what he believed.”

Mr. Obasanjo also commended Mr. Gani for always speaking up when everyone else was silent, especially on matters of injustice.

He alleged that his ex-wife, Remi, sought the services of Mr. Fawehinmi in order to scandalize him as a senior military officer and a minister in government, but that he (Obasanjo) equally secured Mr. Fawehinmi’s match in Kehinde Sofola.

“But that issue did not diminish my respect for Gani,” he said.

Mr. Obasanjo described Mr. Fawehinmi as an advocate for the poor and the oppressed.

He said the vacuum left by the late legal luminary was yet to be filled in Nigeria.

Mr. Fawehinmi died on September 5, 2009, after a prolonged battle with lung cancer. He was 71.

Soyinka the “aparo” hunter
Prof Wole SoyinkaProf Wole Soyinka

On the other hand, Mr. Obasanjo described the nation’s only Nobel laureate, Wole Soyinka, as “a self-serving critic” who always loved to take the lead on all matters.

“For Wole, no one can be good, nor can anything be spot-on politically except that which emanates from him or is ordained by him,” Mr. Obasanjo wrote. “His friends and loved ones will always be right and correct no matter what they do or fail to do.”

Mr. Obasanjo said he found the Professor of Literature “a misfit as a political analyst, commentator or critic,” adding that it was good that Mr. Soyinka did not go into politics.

“He is surely a better wine connoisseur and a more successful “aparo” (guinea fowl) hunter than a political critic, not to talk of what he would do as a politician,” Mr. Obasanjo said. “I take him seriously on almost all issues except on the political particularly Nigerian politics.”

He, however, noted that the Nobel laureate appeared to have ‘mellowed’ down since turning 80 recently.

As he prayed that Mr. Soyinka celebrates the centenary of his birth on earth, Mr. Obasanjo also stated, “If I go before him, I will bid him welcome when he arrives at the great beyond. I hope he would do the same if he succeeds in getting there before me and we find ourselves on the same side of the divide.”

Chukwumerije lost both “fire” and “brand”
Sen. Uche ChukwumerijeSen. Uche Chukwumerije

On Mr. Chukwumerije, Mr. Obasanjo said the senator as a younger person used to be sincere, fearless and uncompromising but as he grew older and the reality of life dawned on him with the weight of family responsibility “his pen, if not his mouth, gradually blunted and the fire in him started to dim”.

Mr. Obasanjo also said it then became easy to sway the once fiery, obstinate critic and he became a tool of whoever needed to use him.

“Wittingly or unwittingly, he began to do the bidding of the lurer,” he said. “In the process, the intrepidity waned and the fearlessness disappeared. He became called and coiled.”

He added that by joining politics, Mr. Chukwumerije sacrificed not only the “fire” in him, but also the “brand,” adding that the real Mr. Chukwumerije that was known in the past was gone.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/173204-obasanjo-praises-gani-fawehinmi-rubbishes-soyinka-chukwumerije-in-new-book.html
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by Movesz(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2014
NANSB..
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by Movesz(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2014
NANSB...
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by laykhorn(m): 12:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
This man that redefined corruption should just shut up already. He is a saint.
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 13, 2014
Obj playing God since 19BC
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 13, 2014
Obj's book of life , kontinu

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2014
U called it ur watch,am yet to see you in the watch cause u are busy discusing others.S.BAN
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by coolhamid(m): 1:12pm On Dec 13, 2014
So what does Obasanjo has to say about himself now since he has been writing shits about others??
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by clevvermind(m): 1:25pm On Dec 13, 2014
i dnt understand Obasanjo nowadays o.
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by donmalcolm21(m): 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2014
What do you expect from Soyinka who has made Amaechi his new found buddy.
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by oduastates: 2:32pm On Dec 13, 2014
The conservative in obasanjo
Soyinka is a unashamedly progressive . From the environment,health ,education to civil liberties ,sexual and reproductive rights,the liberal and progressives extol a live and let's live values.
He has been consistent with his criticism of the blight emanating from the federal government .
He has never gone local or state.
The abuse of power, actions and inaction of the federal government is responsible for Nigeria's situation.
If the federal government ever gets fixed, nigeria becomes fixed. E.g the federal government would not hand over education trust funds to a state who uses the money to buy cattles and car. she would tolerate the stealing and waste of derivation money either.
Sorry none of soyinka's so called friends have ever governed Nigeria.
And I do not think one will ever do so until the country collapses.
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by pat077: 3:06pm On Dec 13, 2014
i blame Abacha 4 nt acting fast. We won't ve been in this mess.
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by TheSonOfMark(m): 7:12pm On Dec 13, 2014
pat077:
i blame Abacha 4 nt acting fast. We won't ve been in this mess.

I don't know what's in your head but I'm sure IT'S NOT A HUMAN BRAIN.

Get a transplant ASAP!
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by pat077: 7:25pm On Dec 13, 2014
TheSonOfMark:

I don't know what's in your head but I'm sure IT'S NOT A HUMAN BRAIN.

Get a transplant ASAP!
stay off my mention, pls.
Re: Obasanjo Praises Gani Fawehinmi, Rubbishes Soyinka, Chukwumerije In New Book by mazzi: 7:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
I beleive everything he wrot abt soyinka

(1) (Reply)

Singer Daniel Wilson Shades Governor Rotimi Amaechi / VIDEO: Jonathan And Evil PDP Rigging Machine Will Fail In 2015- Femi Fani Kayode / Why I Support Buhari/osibanjo By Pastor Sunday Adelaja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.