Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,547 members, 7,955,032 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:58 PM

Thread For Persons With Disability - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Thread For Persons With Disability (3774 Views)

How To Deal With Your Child’s Learning Disability / What Is The Worst Disability In Human? / My Husband Won't Accept Our Son's Disability (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Temmylicious: 5:52pm On Jan 10, 2015
lafflaff123:

Sorry to hear about this misfortune.

I know you are not seeking any kind of pity, but do you have a hearing aid?just checked some online now and can get 3 for a discounted price. If you are interested, can order them with the batteries and send them to you at no charge.

Let me know if you are interested.
Awesome! Thank you very much for the kind gesture. May your helpers locate you.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by portable31(f): 5:54pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hi there,

I have experience of working with people who suffer from various forms of learning disabilities such as autism people on the autistic spectrum disorder, mild and moderate learning disabilities. An expert in communicating and teaching carers, friends and families how to communicate effectively with them. Also, for the ones that have challenging behaviours, I can out you through various behavioural approaches to use. Happy to help.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 10, 2015
lafflaff123:

I sent you an email earlier with my private email address.

You can get me there anytime, or through my cell.

that is ok. thanks, again!
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
Temmylicious:

Temmy, thanks for ur kind remarks. the incredible thing is real help does come from places where u least ikspekt it. nd never in my wildest imaginations did i think that it might b frm here. in fact, i was here to b of help to folks who are going thru physical ordeals in anyway i cud coz m blessed to 'understand' it.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 10, 2015
Temmylicious:

Temmy, thanks for ur kind remarks. the incredible thing is real help does come from places where u least ikspekt it. nd never in my wildest imaginations did i think that it might b frm here. in fact, i was here to b of help to folks who are going thru physical ordeals in anyway i cud coz m b4tunate to 'understand' it.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by sunnshyn(f): 9:20pm On Jan 10, 2015
God bless you OP!!

May his light continually shine upon you, amen!
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 10, 2015
Amen! i claim it IJN. And may His light continually shine upon the disabled, including everyone who has contributed positively to this thread.
Taking a bow..........@ lafflaff, @temmy, @sunshine, @hafftop, et all...

1 Like

Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2015
portable31:
Hi there,

I have experience of working with people who suffer from various forms of learning disabilities such as autism people on the autistic spectrum disorder, mild and moderate learning disabilities. An expert in communicating and teaching carers, friends and families how to communicate effectively with them. Also, for the ones that have challenging behaviours, I can out you through various behavioural approaches to use. Happy to help.

thank u very much for chipping in. we appreciate ur contribution.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Temmylicious: 10:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
raj2014:

Temmy, thanks for ur kind remarks. the incredible thing is real help does come from places where u least ikspekt it. nd never in my wildest imaginations did i think that it might b frm here. in fact, i was here to b of help to folks who are going thru physical ordeals in anyway i cud coz m b4tunate to 'understand' it.
Oh! It's nothing,I dnt think I have done anything big. I couldn't ignore the posters goodwill,I just had to appreciate him. BTW you come across as a pleasant/intelligent young man,may you continue to get favour from God/men.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by bebe2(f): 10:19pm On Jan 10, 2015
portable31:
Hi there,

I just read ur dairy and found it quiet amusing.

Nigeria is so far back it cant even see d rear light of western countries.

Imagine someone with hearing difficulty has never been assessed for hearing aid.
Aint dat shocking?

There is this school for autistics dat pple rant about in Nigeria, its located in ikeja G.R.A.

I was fortunate enough to visit it on one of my trips to nigeria.

What I saw made my heart bleed. About 10 kids sat on a bench wit some adult in front of them.

And the adults where all shouting words to the kid in front of them, one shouting orange, another shouting banana, apple etc and the kids just sat there rocking and flapping badly.

I just went home shaking my head, u being in the profession must realise how damaging dat situation is for those kids.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 12:27am On Jan 11, 2015
bebe2:

Imagine someone with hearing difficulty has never been assessed for hearing aid.
Aint dat shocking?

There is this school for autistics dat pple rant about in Nigeria, its located in ikeja G.R.A.

What I saw made my heart bleed. About 10 kids sat on a bench wit some adult in front of them.

And the adults where all shouting words to the kid in front of them, one shouting orange, another shouting banana, apple etc and the kids just sat there rocking and flapping badly.

I just went home shaking my head, u being in the profession must realise how damaging dat situation is for those kids.

very well! i cud not agree more! i totally concur that we r so lagging behind in a lot of ways: technology, medical advances, tertiary education and of course disability which falls under medical.nevertheless, Nigeria is a country we all love so much. m sure things wud get better. i do not know when or how. but m optimistic, some day sooner or latr, we wud get there.

but, i find it pretty sneering and disrespectful wen u found a poster's diary 'quiet amusing', coz apparently the poster hardly knows what he is up against in his quest to help and care for autistic kids in this country. u seem to paint the poster as 'local and clueless'. uncool.

And by the way, i have been assessed 4 a hearing aid. in fact, it was formally confirmed, after i underwent several tests including audiometery and whatnot that i was a candidate for a hearing aid and a surgical procedure they called 'cochlear implant'.
i had them provide me with necessary literature on these options available to me so that i cud mk a more informed decision as to which of the paths i wanted.
after all, i thought my family and i decided on cochlear implantation which can best be successfully carried out abroad.
but m sure its all gonna be alright soon!

now, bebe2, what are we going to do about this 'Nigeria is so far back it cant even see d rear light of western countries'?
what do u propose cud be done for persons/kids with autism and other developmental disorders?
i cant wait to have a very healthy conversation with u!
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 11, 2015
Temmylicious:
Oh! It's nothing,I dnt think I have done anything big. I couldn't ignore the posters goodwill,I just had to appreciate him. BTW you come across as a pleasant/intelligent young man,may you continue to get favour from God/men.

remarkable!
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 11, 2015
lafflaff123:

Sorry to hear about this misfortune.
I know you are not seeking any kind of pity, but do you have a hearing aid?just checked some online now and can get 3 for a discounted price. If you are interested, can order them with the batteries and send them to you at no charge.
Let me know if you are interested.

May God bless you for reaching out to a brother!!!!

OP, it is well.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by bebe2(f): 12:56am On Jan 11, 2015
raj2014:

very well! i cud not agree more! i totally concur that we r so lagging behind in a lot of ways: technology, medical advances, tertiary education and of course disability which falls under medical.nevertheless, Nigeria is a country we all love so much. m sure things wud get better. i do not know when or how. but m optimistic, some day sooner or latr, we wud get there.

[/b]but, i find it pretty sneering and disrespectful wen u found a poster's diary 'quiet amusing', coz apparently the poster hardly knows what he is up against in his quest to help and care for autistic kids in this country. u seem to paint the poster as 'local and clueless'. uncool.[b]

And by the way, i have been assessed 4 a hearing aid. in fact, it was formally confirmed, after i underwent several tests including audiometery and whatnot that i was a candidate for a hearing aid and a surgical procedure they called 'cochlear implant'.
i had them provide me with necessary literature on these options available to me so that i cud mk a more informed decision as to which of the paths i wanted.
after all, i thought my family and i decided on cochlear implantation which can best be successfully carried out abroad.
but m sure its all gonna be alright soon!

now, bebe2, what are we going to do about this 'Nigeria is so far back it cant even see d rear light of western countries'?
what do u propose cud be done for persons/kids with autism and other developmental disorders?
i cant wait to have a very healthy conversation with u!

i find it very disrespectful dat u accuse me of the bolded without taking time to investigate wat i was talking about.
did u read the dairy? how did u conclude that i was '' sneering,disrectful, regarding the poster as clueless and uncool?

to prove to ursef that i was implying non of those, go and read the dairy and u will realise that she leaves in the UK, AND amused me was the disagreement she had with the boss dat took all her competent staff then accuse her off................. just go read it.

now to ur second point, i assumed u havent been assessed becos someone is buying u some hearing aid ,
i wud have thot if u are asesssed for it u wud have some by now as ur hearing loss isnt a recent development.

am no stranger to disability, both in my family and in my community.

i wen to a primary school that hard deaf and blind pple mixed in with us in the compound.

i dont appreciate been written to/about like dat.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by portable31(f): 2:19am On Jan 11, 2015
bebe2:

Aint dat shocking?

Why were they shouting? The problem with some of these schools - people are operating them just because they went to a teacher's college. The rocking and the flapping gave it away that the actions of their carers might be distressing to them. We have a long way to go.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 11, 2015
bebe2:

i find it very disrespectful dat u accuse me of the bolded without taking time to investigate wat i was talking about.
did u read the dairy? how did u conclude that i was '' sneering,disrectful, regarding the poster as clueless and uncool?

to prove to ursef that i was implying non of those, go and read the dairy and u will realise that she leaves in the UK, AND amused me was the disagreement she had with the boss dat took all her competent staff then accuse her off................. just go read it.

now to ur second point, i assumed u havent been assessed becos someone is buying u some hearing aid ,
i wud have thot if u are asesssed for it u wud have some by now as ur hearing loss isnt a recent development.

am no stranger to disability, both in my family and in my community.

i wen to a primary school that hard deaf and blind pple mixed in with us in the compound.

i dont appreciate been written to/about like dat.

my apologies! there was obviously some sort of misunderstanding on my part. some kind of mix-up. i hadnt red the diary then coz i assumed u were talking about the poster's contribution to ds thread, which of course was that she was an experienced manager/carer of autistic kids.

well, i went over to peep at the dairy, but it has bn removed/hidden by the administration or God knows who.

Now, i hope tht i made myself very clear that i was presented with an opportunity of a hearing b4! alright then!

bebe2, my apologies, again

Have a great Sunday, everyone.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 11, 2015
portable31:

Why were they shouting? The problem with some of these schools - people are operating them just because they went to a teacher's college. The rocking and the flapping gave it away that the actions of their carers might be distressing to them. We have a long way to go.

yes, we have a long way to go. the road ahead ahead wud be steep, i think.
but persistence is the key.

keep up the great work u r doing oh behalf of those precious kids.
take care!
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by portable31(f): 8:43am On Jan 11, 2015
raj2014:

yes, we have a long way to go. the road ahead ahead wud be steep, i think.
but persistence is the key.

keep up the great work u r doing oh behalf of those precious kids.
take care!

Raj, we cannot carry on being persistent with our current knowledge; Nigerians need educating and orientation in understanding these vulnerable people's needs.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by ijeoma2728(f): 10:31am On Jan 11, 2015
Hello Phema, pls how much is the hearing aid, would like to get it for my little brother, he misplaced the ones he had before. Due to this, his academics is suffering, still in secondary school.
would appreciate your help. thank you.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by bebe2(f): 12:18pm On Jan 11, 2015
raj2014:

my apologies! there was obviously some sort of misunderstanding on my part. some kind of mix-up. i hadnt red the diary then coz i assumed u were talking about the poster's contribution to ds thread, which of course was that she was an experienced manager/carer of autistic kids.

well, i went over to peep at the dairy, but it has bn removed/hidden by the administration or God knows who.

Now, i hope tht i made myself very clear that i was presented with an opportunity of a hearing b4! alright then!

bebe2, my apologies, again

Have a great Sunday, everyone.

Apologies accepted.
Have nice day
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by bebe2(f): 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2015
portable31:

Am sure the teachers where trying to get heard over each other.

Apparently the proprietor studied in the uk.

The school was beautiful, clean gardens beautifully manicured but the teaching was appalling.

I left wit tears in my eyes.

too many things wrong with dat country.
Oh their school fees was out of this world. Only d very rich wud be able to send their kids.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Haywhymido(m): 12:33pm On Jan 11, 2015
lafflaff123:
Hey will reply to your mail now.
thank u sir 4 ur kind gesture. May God continue to bless u

1 Like

Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 11, 2015
hmm, m intrigued. cud u be so kind as to provide me with the web site of that particular special school?

i might be able to reach 'em and have a conversation.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 11, 2015
ijeoma2728:
Hello Phema, pls how much is the hearing aid, would like to get it for my little brother, he misplaced the ones he had before. Due to this, his academics is suffering, still in secondary school.
would appreciate your help. thank you.

ma'am, on my end, i do not know the costs of hearing aids. i cannot even come up with an estimate, either.

i hope Phema sees ds and gets to u.
thank u.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 11, 2015
portable31:

Raj, we cannot carry on being persistent with our current knowledge; Nigerians need educating and orientation in understanding these vulnerable people's needs.

ma, m glad we are on the same page here and are both passionate about kids, disabilities and autism. i am a huge lover of kids myself.

so m very sympathetic to what these wonderful children are going thru. and the worse aspect is our skepticism of their prospects for a bright future.

my hope and prayer is that we experience a new dawn in our nation soonest. And the leading voices in Nigeria, in collaboration with care providers and health care pros can aggressively tackle this problem, so that those beloved children can realize their full potential.

in the meantime, m pretty sure there remains some 'small but significant care' that we cud continue to provide.

i hope we can keep this up!
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 11, 2015
ijeoma2728:
Hello Phema, pls how much is the hearing aid, would like to get it for my little brother, he misplaced the ones he had before. Due to this, his academics is suffering, still in secondary school. would appreciate your help. thank you.

This is like asking how much a phone costs. There are so many different types with different qualities and their prices vary. Usually ranges between $1000 - $4000. That's about #180,000 - #720,000 for the very good ones.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by vdavydenko: 6:23pm On Jan 13, 2015
As for autism. It is not a problem nowadays at all. There are some new methods of therapy like autism stem cell treatment. It is a new and prospective method. They say, it is really effective and reliable one
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 13, 2015
vdavydenko:
As for autism. It is not a problem nowadays at all. There are some new methods of therapy like autism stem cell treatment. It is a new and prospective method. They say, it is really effective and reliable one

incredible! pls, cud u enlarge on that new, novel stem cell treatment so everyone cud see it?

And we are talking about Nigeria and our kids.

whats in it for us?
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by tpiaobsession: 3:51am On Jan 17, 2015
Albinism is also considered a disability.

Note to nlers.

Lord have mercy sha.
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by fantasia200(f): 7:50pm On Jan 18, 2015
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 18, 2015
tpiaobsession:
Albinism is also considered a disability.

Note to nlers.

Lord have mercy sha.

no! albinism is never, ever a disability! it might be termed a condition. for e.g, some people have heart conditions, u no.

it is as a result of absence of melanin. they r normal folks like us.
I once read extensively about them
Re: Thread For Persons With Disability by tpiaobsession: 9:49pm On Feb 02, 2015
Its a disability.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why We Need To Rethink Transgender In Nigeria ( Photos ) / Cheating Father / Would You Beat Your Wife If She Beats Your Mother Mercilessly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.