Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (70918 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by mrseamy: 9:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
goooood evening uncle, you are welcome Sir
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 21, 2014
Good evening teachers and students , humbly takes my seat smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:17pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hello everyone. Welcome to

******SOUND FX OF POETRY******
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:18pm On Dec 21, 2014
Let's start with some review.

Since poetry is, essentially, a form of creative writing, it uses some of the same tools found in other types of literature. You may remember all of those "literary devices" from English class -- foreshadowing, irony, allegory, personification and so on? Well, those can all be used in poetry as well. Each can be used by the poet to change the content and meaning of the poem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:18pm On Dec 21, 2014
Everestdebliu - Male
Nigeria
University undergraduate
Acting Vice president,Nairaland Poetry Club
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by mrseamy: 9:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
welcome Tracy
u came late cha ooo
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by chinnyness122(f): 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
undecidedsneaks into d class
abeg Samguine shift make I join u...

grabs pen n jotter......whispers.....abeg Samguine wat was d assignment?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
Classes should be good today. Ghostlady, where are you?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:22pm On Dec 21, 2014
One of the most popular literary devices used in many poems is symbolism, or when one thing is used to represent another. For example, Robert Frost's famous poem "The Road Not Taken" describes two different paths in the woods. While the poem makes sense if it's read literally, the roads he writes about are actually symbols for something else -- they represent the different choices you make in life .

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 9:23pm On Dec 21, 2014
chinnyness122:
undecidedsneaks into d class
abeg Samguine shift make I join u...

grabs pen n jotter......whispers.....abeg Samguine wat was d assignment?
Lols. Welcome. I could use some inspiration.

Assignment
Write a free verse and an acrostic poem. Tag the teachers for reviewing. Topics were suggested by the Onyinbo teacher (Tex) buh you could write on any topic that catches your fancy.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
Metaphors and similes also compare one thing to another thing, and can add a deeper layer of meaning to a poem. A simile compares two things using the words "like" or "as." For example, the phrase "a poem is like a beautiful painting" is a simile that compares a poem to a beautiful painting.
A metaphor compares things by saying something is something else. For example, "a poem is a blooming flower." Sometimes, however, a metaphor doesn't explicitly tell you what it's comparing. For example, "The Road Not Taken" never actually says that the roads represent choices you make in life
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by chinnyness122(f): 9:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
Samguine:

Lols. Welcome. I could use some inspiration.

Assignment
Write a free verse and an acrostic poem. Tag the teachers for reviewing. Topics were suggested by the Onyinbo teacher (Tex) buh you could write on any topic that catches your fancy.

thanks a lot
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
mrseamy:
welcome Tracy
u came late cha ooo

I know o , nairaland traffic held me on the way
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:31pm On Dec 21, 2014
Some other common literary devices used in poetry includes irony, puns, analogies,oxymorons, and many others. These are by no means the only literary devices that can be used in poems. In fact, when it comes to writing poetry, the sky's the limit on what you can use.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by timpaker(m): 9:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
**Claps**
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
Now Tex and I are going to talk about the "sounds" of poetry.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 9:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
Came in late, runs to the back sit
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by mrseamy: 9:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
enjoying the lectures
staying focused
thank TeX
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
Technical difficulties... Please stand by.

We are live folks bear with us.

*runs off to fix it*

grin
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:37pm On Dec 21, 2014
SOUND EFFECTS IN POETRY

Poets use sound in a variety of ways to enhance their poems. Tex has some examples of sound techniques poets use to create mood, tone and images.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by timpaker(m): 9:39pm On Dec 21, 2014
EverestdeBliu:
Some other common literary devices used in poetry includes irony, puns, analogies,oxymorons, and many others. These are by no means the only literary devices that can be used in poems. In fact, when it comes to writing poetry, the sky's the limit on what you can use.
Please sir, can you give an example to some of these literary devices? Just for clarification for those who are new to poetry. Thanks
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
Samguine:
Classes should be good today. Ghostlady, where are you?
I dey class sweedy.....when you join us? U no tell me oo embarassed
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
timpaker:
Please sir, can you give an example to some of these literary devices? Just for clarification for those who are new to poetry. Thanks
All Questions will be acknowledged at the end of this session. Thank u

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:46pm On Dec 21, 2014
timpaker:

This is review/preview. What has not already been covered will be covered in a future class. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:47pm On Dec 21, 2014
Poets organize rhyming words in a variety of patterns called rhyme schemes.

End rhyme: is the rhyming of words at the ends of lines of poetry.

Internal rhyme: is the rhyming of words within one line of poetry.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
Once again embarassed
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hope you're all getting along?,please all Questions will be acknowledged after this session. thanks for your attentiveness
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
Here are some examples of end rhymes.Can you find examples of internal rhyme?

TREES by Joyce Kilmer (aabb)

I think that I shall never see (a)
A poem lovely as a tree. (a)
A tree that may in summer wear. (b)
A nest of robins in her hair. (b)
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 9:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes (aabcb)

The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees. (a)
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas. (a)
The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor. (b)
And the highwayman came riding-
Riding – riding—
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door.
(b)

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 9:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
"Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allan Poe (ababcb)

It was many and many a year ago,
In the kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived, whom you may know
By the name of Annabel Lee;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love, and be loved by me.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by 1miccza: 10:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
texanomaly:
Once again embarassed

Hi Tex can you please add me on whatsapp again? I changed my phone and lost all ma contacts.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
The Cremation of Sam McGee by Robert W. Service (abcbdefe)

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarg
I cremated Sam McGee

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.