Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,331 members, 7,819,137 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (71241 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
REPETITION: Repetition is the recurring use of a sound, a word, a phrase, or a line. Repetition can be used to appeal to our emotions, create mood, and to emphasize important ideas.

Notice how Edgar Allan Poe uses repetition in “Annabel Lee” to create emotional effects:

And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling—my darling—my life and my bride,
In the sepulcher there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2014
In “Casey at the Bat” by Ernest Lawrence Thayer, word repetition is used effectively to create a mood:

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Mudville: Mighty Casey has struck out.

Note how many times somewhere is used. "Somewhere" everyone is happy, but not in Mudville.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2014
I see the works of more accomplished poets, here on Nairaland and elsewhere and I'm like.. "Samguine, what have you got yourself into? Can you attain the heights of these geniuses? sad
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
RHYTHM : Rhythm is the pattern of stresses in a line of verse. When you speak, you stress some syllables and leave others unstressed. When you string a lot of words together, you start seeing patterns. Rhythm is a natural thing. It's in everything you say and write, even if you don't intend for it to be.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 10:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
Ghostlady:
I dey class sweedy.....when you join us? U no tell me oo embarassed
Since the beginning. I did wink
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
Traditional forms of verse use established rhythmic patterns called meters (meter means "measure" in Greek), and that's what meters are — premeasured patterns of stressed and unstressed syllables.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
Much of English poetry is written in lines that string together one or more feet(individual rhythmical units). Feet are the individual building blocks of meter. Here are the most common feet, the rhythms they represent, and an example of that rhythm.
Anapest: duh-duh-DUH, as in but of course!
Dactyl: DUH-duh-duh, as in honestly
Iamb: duh-DUH, as in collapse
Trochee: DUH-duh, as in pizza
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
To build a line of verse, poets can string together repetitions of one of these feet. Such repetitions are named as follows:

1 foot: monometer

2 feet: dimeter

3 feet: trimeter

4 feet: tetrameter

5 feet: pentameter

6 feet: hexameter

So the famous iambic pentameter is a string of five iambs, as in Christopher Marlowe's line from Dr. Faustus:

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships
Duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh-DUH
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hope y'all are taking notes. smiley

Assignment to follow.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:17pm On Dec 21, 2014
Notice above that there are five unstressed syllables alternating with five stressed — in other words, five duh-DUHs. As you read more poetry, you'll start to recognize feet and meters.

http://www.poetry4kids.com/blog/news/rhythm-in-poetry-the-basics/
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
next is Alliteration

Alliteration is a literary device that repeats a speech sound in a sequence of words that are close to each other. Alliteration typically uses consonants at the beginning of a word to give stress to its syllable. Alliteration plays a very crucial role in poetry and literature:

1. It provides a work with musical rhythms.

2. Poems that use alliteration are read and recited with more interest and appeal.

3.Poems with alliteration can be easier to memorize.

4.Alliteration lends structure, flow, and beauty to any piece of writing.

5.Today, alliteration is often used to make slogans more memorable or to make children’s stories more fun to read out loud.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:21pm On Dec 21, 2014
To further understand the meaning, let's take a look at examples of alliteration in poems.
Here are examples of alliteration taken from The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe:

Once upon a midnight dreary while I pondered weak and weary
...rare and radiant maiden
And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before
In this Poe poem, weak and weary; rare and radiant; silken and sad; deep and darkness; and wondering and fearing are all examples of alliteration
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by youngcrysta(f): 10:22pm On Dec 21, 2014
texanomaly:
Hope y'all are taking notes. smiley

Assignment to follow.

yes

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by OMA4U(m): 10:24pm On Dec 21, 2014
Everest, please tell us where the alliteration occurs?

I'm really learning a lot. God bless you.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
Other Literary Examples;

1. Hot-hearted Beowulf was bent upon battle - from Beowulf.

This example of Medieval Anglo-Saxon poetry contains alliteration using Beowulf, bent and battle.

2. Behemoth, biggest born of earth, upheaved His vastness - from Paradise Lost by John Milton. This example also contains alliteration with Behemoth and biggest born.

3. Fly o'er waste fens and windy fields - from Sir Galahad by Alfred Tennyson. The example contains alliteration with fly, fens and fields.

4. Mary sat musing on the lamp-flame at the table - from The Death of the Hired Man by Robert Frost. Here, the alliteration is Mary and musing.

5. For the sky and the sea, and the sea and the sky - from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Sky and sea are alliterative devices here.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
OMA4U:
Everest, please tell us where the alliteration occurs?

I'm really learning a lot. God bless you.

In this Poe poem, weak and weary; rare and radiant; silken and sad; deep and darkness; and wondering and fearing are all examples of alliteration.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
Assonance: Assonance is the repetition of vowel sounds Notice how many “O” sounds occur in this poem by Nina Bogan:

How strange it is
To hover over words, like the smoke
From the loggers’ fires, over the valley.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
Assonance poems are abundant in literature. Assonance is one of the more difficult techniques to master when writing poetry. Assonance occurs when vowels are repeated in words that are close to each other.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by OMA4U(m): 10:46pm On Dec 21, 2014
texanomaly:

In this Poe poem, weak and weary; rare and radiant; silken and sad; deep and darkness; and wondering and fearing are all examples of alliteration.

Thank you, ma'am.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:46pm On Dec 21, 2014
The way you use assonance can change the mood of the poem:

1. Long vowel sounds will decrease the energy at that point in the poem and make the mood more serious.

2. Higher vowel sounds will increase the energy and lighten the mood.

Find a good example of assonance in this excerpt from Bells by Edgar Allan Poe:

From the second stanza:

Hear the mellow wedding bells,
Golden bells!
What a world of happiness their harmony foretells!
Through the balmy air of night
How they ring out their delight!
From the molten-golden notes,
And an in tune,
What a liquid ditty floats
To the turtle-dove that listens, while she gloats
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by OMA4U(m): 10:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
Teachers, can you please scrutinize this poem and tell me if my use of sounds are good?

Pregnant Future

A wise farmer arises at the sun rise
Hanging hoe on his shoulder from home
Holding firmly to his machete sternly and hurry
Heading for farming to farm any farming

He scorns the thorns and plants the corns
Hoping to harbor in his palour his labour
But overtime the harvest time grows no dime
The man weeps deep, still nothing to reap

If men could see the blossom future
Only things that breed leisure they will nurture
But the future is uncertain and unfair
Jumbled up with tears and wears

No one know the child it will bear
Though sometimes it appears crystal clear
We have to be steadfast for the days of harvest
And by hope that will live and await the best

From the pregnant future

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
From the fourth stanza:
What a world of solemn thought their monody compels!
In the silence of the night,
How we shiver with affright
At the melancholy menace of their tone!
For every sound that floats
From the rust within their throats
Is a groan.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
OMA4U:
Teachers, can you please scrutinize this poem and tell me if my use of sounds are good?

Pregnant Future

A wise farmer arises at the sun rise
Hanging hoe on his shoulder from home
Holding firmly to his machete sternly and hurry
Heading for farming to farm any farming

He scorns the thorns and plants the corns
Hoping to harbor in his palour his labour
But overtime the harvest time grows no dime
The man weeps deep, still nothing to reap

If men could see the blossom future
Only things that breed leisure they will nurture
But the future is uncertain and unfair
Jumbled up with tears and wears

No one know the child it will bear
Though sometimes it appears crystal clear
We have to be steadfast for the days of harvest
And by hope that will live and await the best

From the pregnant future

Can we hold off till the end please?

Whatsapp is calling Sire.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 10:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
[b]Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite poets. He was a master of all these literary techniques; consonance, alliteration, and assonance.

In this excerpt from the poem The Raven Note the “i” and “ur” sound used in assonance, the “s” sound used in consonance, and the “r” and “s” sound used in alliteration at the beginning of words:

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow

From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore -

For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore -

Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain

Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;

So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating`

'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -

Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -

This it is, and nothing more,'[/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
Consonance: Consonance is the repetition of consonant sounds anywhere within words, not just at the beginning. Count the “S” sounds as they appear in this verse of “The Walrus and the Carpenter” by Lewis Carroll:

The moon was shining sulkily,
Because she thought the sun
Had got no business to be there
After the day was done—
“It’s very rude of him,” she said,
“To come and spoil the fun! ”
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 11:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
We have one more "sound effect" to discuss. Then we will be open to questions. Thanks for sticking with us. I know it was long.

Onomatopoeia: hehe. I love to say this word!

Onomatopoeia is the use of words that create the sounds they describe.

Words like buzz, hum, clank, and crash represent a sound.

Listen for the sound of horse hoofs repeated in “The Highwayman” by Alfred Noyes:

Tlot-tlot; tlot-tlot! Had they heard it? The horse hoofs ringing clear;
Tlot-tlot, tlot-tlot, in the distance? Were they deaf that they did not hear?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 11:10pm On Dec 21, 2014
Really enjoying this class.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 11:11pm On Dec 21, 2014
The concept of onomatopoeia words can be difficult to understand without examples. Examples give you the chance to better understand the onomatopoeia concept and to see and sound out actual words.

The following examples have been grouped according to how they are used.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 11:12pm On Dec 21, 2014
Samguine:
Really enjoying this class.
Thanks. Almost there.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
1. Words Related to Water – These words often begin with sp- or dr-. Words that indicate a small amount of liquid often end in -le (sprinkle/drizzle).

bloop

splash

spray

sprinkle

squirtH

drip

drizzle
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
2. Words Related to the Voice – Sounds that come from the back of the throat tend to start with a gr- sound whereas sounds that come out of the mouth through the lips, tongue and teeth begin with mu-.

giggle

growl

grunt

gurgle

mumble

murmur

bawl

belch

chatter

blurt
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2014
3. Words Related to Collisions – Collisions can occur between any two or more objects. Sounds that begin with cl- usually indicate collisions between metal or glass objects, and words that end in -ng are sounds that resonate. Words that begin with th- usually describe dull sounds like soft but heavy things hitting wood or earth.

bam

bang

clan

clap

clatter

click

clink

ding

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.