Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,804 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Pressure By Teachers For Sex Reported In Nigeria's Schools - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pressure By Teachers For Sex Reported In Nigeria's Schools (704 Views)

Zainab That Was Reported Missing, Has Been Found. / Photos; 4 Year Old Girl Who Was Reported Missing For Days Has Been Found / Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pressure By Teachers For Sex Reported In Nigeria's Schools by Echosam: 8:10pm On Dec 15, 2014
When Nigeria's education minister faced an audience of 1,000 schoolchildren, she expected to hear complaints of crowded classrooms and lack of equipment. Instead, girl after girl spoke up about being pressured for sex by teachers in exchange for better grades. One girl was just 11 years old.

"I was shocked," said the minister, Obiageli Ezekwesili, who has several children herself. "I asked � was it that prevalent? And they all chorused 'yes.' "

For years, sexual harassment has been rampant in Nigeria's universities, but until recently very little was done about it. From interviews with officials and 12 female college students, a pattern emerges of women being held back and denied passing grades for rebuffing teachers' advances, and of being advised by other teachers to give in quietly.

The problem has spread into schools, says Ezekwesili, and there are signs the government is finally intervening. Now that harassment even features in a song by a popular Nigerian musician, Eedris Abdulkareem, it is almost impossible to ignore.

"Mr. Lecturer, come get it on with me," croons a young girl in the song. "I'm gonna rub your back and your potbelly, make you pass my paper." With a deep chuckle, Abdulkareem replies, "Come into my office."

Most victims are college students such as Chioma, a quiet 22-year-old with a B average, who repeatedly failed political science after refusing her teacher's explicit demands for sex. She said he was a pastor old enough to be her grandfather.

"Now it has been two years and everyone else has graduated," she said. She is desperate to finish her studies and begin working to help support her family, yet "my life is stopped," she said.

Chioma and others who spoke to The Associated Press asked that their surnames be withheld. All said they and several close friends had been harassed. Stigma prevents many more from speaking out, says Oluyemisi Obilade, a professor who teaches adult education at prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University at Ile-Ife.

Like many Nigerian universities, the seemingly peaceful campus with its flame trees and soaring art-deco architecture has witnessed horrifying sexual assaults. After a student was gang-raped nine years ago...continue reading here at http://virginology..com/2014/12/pressure-by-teachers-for-sex-reported.html
Re: Pressure By Teachers For Sex Reported In Nigeria's Schools by chiibekee(f): 8:11pm On Dec 15, 2014
Nawa ooo!
Re: Pressure By Teachers For Sex Reported In Nigeria's Schools by Beesluv: 8:27pm On Dec 15, 2014
The worst part is that Some lecturers still fail them after getting intimate with them
Re: Pressure By Teachers For Sex Reported In Nigeria's Schools by herald9: 8:41pm On Dec 15, 2014
Echosam:

"I was shocked," said the minister, Obiageli Ezekwesili, who has several children herself. "I asked � was it that prevalent? And they all chorused 'yes.' "

Lolz
As if they didn't know or Na new thing.

Please they should also address the issue of lecturers extorting money from male counterparts.

And they shouldn't stop at addressing but sending it to appropriate authority for immediate action or we'll still be suffering in silence.

1 Like

Re: Pressure By Teachers For Sex Reported In Nigeria's Schools by KanwuliaJara: 3:06am On Dec 16, 2014

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Doctor Who Allegedly Assaulted 16 Women Is A Religious Family Man? / Wrongful Usage: Paying Of Marriage Dowry By Man! / At 34yrs, His "New" Father Wants Him To Change His Name.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.