Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,383 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:56 AM

Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? (7375 Views)

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / How Can I Continue To Love My Wife / Can You Continue With The Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Francon(f): 12:30pm On Dec 16, 2014
I have so many bitter experiences

I remember I had just resume work in a telecom. After about a week or so, a female colleague approached me for some money. We went together to d atm and she saw me withdraw every dime I had in my accounts. (Cos that was the week they were gonna pay my money)

When the day for the pay back came, she gave me several excuses with regard to the money and promised to give me with an interest( wasn't bothered about the interest)

Days rolled to weeks and months and there were no signs of she paying me back. I hadly go to my debtors to ask for my money. So something very urgent came and I approached her and she was like " you are embarrassing me, I have told you I will pay you back later"

Suddenly this gal came to the office with a brand new samsung galaxy S3 and bb Q10 (when it was first launched). I went to ask her for the money. She turned it to a quarrel and she told me boldly she wasn't gonna give me the money.

Funny enough, she meant her words and she didn't pay me. I swore never to borrow a huge amount of money again.... I loan some money to someone recently (through my sibling). And the person just keep paying in a provocative manner

For example, gave out 400k
She paid 100k after 6 months
5k another month
2 k another month
10k another month

I'm tired of taking it instalmentally.

I have made up my mind to give out only what I can forget for the person if she doesn't oblige...

Very easy to loan but difficult to collect it back.
And this is the number one destroyer of friendship

6 Likes

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by dotuna3(m): 12:31pm On Dec 16, 2014
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Pergrace: 12:31pm On Dec 16, 2014
I normally give to those that don't disappoint, but for those that are still owing and are reluctant to pay up,it's a good bye to them.
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by nataisha(f): 12:31pm On Dec 16, 2014
I don't see any thing bad in it. let my family whole me and not pay me
than letting an outsider whole me and run away with my doh.
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 16, 2014
Lmao! this happens to my mum a lot, after giving you all the money, to return back will be a big issue, they will stop calling her, even when she calls they won't pick up, when she act up, they will start saying negative things about her, before you know it! they will start keeping malice grin As for me, i won't give out money to someone if I'm pretty sure they won't pay back undecided
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by adeyemi97(m): 12:32pm On Dec 16, 2014
no
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Sweetlemon(f): 12:32pm On Dec 16, 2014
nataisha:
I don't see any thing bad in it. let my family whole me and not pay me
than letting an outsider whole me and run away with my doh.

owe

5 Likes

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by adeyemi97(m): 12:33pm On Dec 16, 2014
mayapop:
Lmao! this happens to my mum a lot, after giving you all the money, to return back will be a big issue, they will stop calling her, even when she calls they won't pick up, when she act up, they will start saying negative things about her, before you know it! they will start keeping malice grin As for me, i won't give out money to someone if I'm pretty sure they won't pay back undecided
are you from ijebu grin
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by rozayx5(m): 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2014
hmm giving loans to close relatives, just forget about the money in most cases

i have a in law , whom if you give money forget it shocked shocked
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by onadana: 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2014
What a question?No give to your enemies.
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by nataisha(f): 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2014
thanks jare
Sweetlemon:

owe
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 16, 2014
adeyemi97:
are you from ijebu grin
lol! where is that?
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by nkadoj(m): 12:36pm On Dec 16, 2014
Learnt. Note taken.
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by suxes2005(m): 12:36pm On Dec 16, 2014
Adesiji77:
This article really speaks to me; I have lost some hard-earned cash due to what the Yorubas call 'Oju-Anu' (someone should me translate this please grin) in the past and even, recent past.

I have resorted to modest cash gifts WHEN possible. This article only reinforces my resolve. cheesy

Eye of pity

~ Sheyi

1 Like

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Horlufemi(m): 12:37pm On Dec 16, 2014
I'll rather dash 10% of the money than loan out that money and I'll even do that if its for business purpose not to bury someone.
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 16, 2014
Evryday I pray to God to help me recover all ve borrowed out,if one is not carful,one wil end up being broke

1 Like

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by brownlolly(m): 12:40pm On Dec 16, 2014
Thanks OP..

people are owing me enough money to buy a car. They don't even care abut my condition. Now its Xmas I wanna be with my family, I can only afford my plane tickets. No money to flex cos of some selfish people who don't wanna remember that they owe someone (who has a conscience to help them) their money.

3 Likes

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by NnamdiN: 12:43pm On Dec 16, 2014
I'd have to generalize here grin women don't pay back. Even if she dey cry blood, no give am grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by haibe(m): 12:50pm On Dec 16, 2014
orbis:
The worst is your ex...that money is bye bye
really? am scared now
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by haibe(m): 12:51pm On Dec 16, 2014
NnamdiN:
I'd have to generalize here grin women don't pay back. Even if she dey cry blood, no give am grin cheesy

Ah! Mo gbe. Why did I ever come across this thread, am really scared now oo. I must get my money back.
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by MAYOWAAK: 12:54pm On Dec 16, 2014
Psalms 37: 21 (KING JAMES VERSION)
The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again........

3 Likes

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by haibe(m): 12:55pm On Dec 16, 2014
woomiewoomie:
Evryday I pray to God help me recover all ve borrowed out,if one is not carful,one wil end up being broke
i think I should start this prayer too. My bad debts are just too much for a young guy like me.

1 Like

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by NnamdiN: 12:58pm On Dec 16, 2014
haibe:

Ah! Mo gbe. Why did I ever come across this thread, am really scared now oo. I must get my money back.
lol your money don enter voice mail cheesy grin women and money be like rat and fish tongue

1 Like

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Besto(m): 1:02pm On Dec 16, 2014
NnamdiN:
seconded....asin ehn...a lady i did lend money cruise me round lagos...finally drop me for ALABA-SURU.its 2years now..babe lock up..

then of lately smoda 1 came rubbing my head requesting i lend ha sm bar....the kinda looks i gave ha ehn....she herself told me neva mind
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by haibe(m): 1:04pm On Dec 16, 2014
Francon:
I have so many bitter experiences

I remember I had just resume work in a telecom. After about a week or so, a female colleague approached me for some money. We went together to d atm and she saw me withdraw every dime I had in my accounts. (Cos that was the week they were gonna pay my money)

When the day for the pay back came, she gave me several excuses with regard to the money and promised to give me with an interest( wasn't bothered about the interest)

Days rolled to weeks and months and there were no signs of she paying me back. I hadly go to my debtors to ask for my money. So something very urgent came and I approached her and she was like " you are embarrassing me, I have told you I will pay you back later"

Suddenly this gal came to the office with a brand new samsung galaxy S3 and bb Q10 (when it was first launched). I went to ask her for the money. She turned it to a quarrel and she told me boldly she wasn't gonna give me the money.

Funny enough, she meant her words and she didn't pay me. I swore never to borrow a huge amount of money again.... I loan some money to someone recently (through my sibling). And the person just keep paying in a provocative manner

For example, gave out 400k
She paid 100k after 6 months
5k another month
2 k another month
10k another month

I'm tired of taking it instalmentally.

I have made up my mind to give out only what I can forget for the person if she doesn't oblige...

Very easy to loan but difficult to collect it back.
And this is the number one destroyer of friendship

i understand how this feels. Just this year alone, I have let about 50k out without it being repayed. If you see how this people ask for the money ehn, you will think they will even pay you double when they have it. I lent one like that and when it was time to pay, he gave silly reasons but he bought a phone just recently. I will just forget it. But the thing is that am not working, just a fresh graduate and this debts I have lost do pain me sometimes, I hope the recent once I lent will be repayed as at when due.

2 Likes

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by haibe(m): 1:06pm On Dec 16, 2014
NnamdiN:
lol your money don enter voice mail cheesy grin women and money be like rat and fish tongue
I pray this will not be my portion in Jesus name. Anyway it's just 2 weeks since i lent her this one, I hope I get repayed by next week.
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Onegai(f): 1:10pm On Dec 16, 2014
Learned this the hard way last year.

I loaned someone some money, she swore to repay by end of the month. End of the year, I had N18,000 to my name and begged for my money. She kept swearing she was so broke, she was looking for money to feed. Only for her BBM status to change to "I just upgraded to BB10" grin grin Even when I confronted her, she said I didn't know the "story of how she got that phone". This chick enjoyed her holidays while I had N5,000 in my account and couldn't afford to go out to even search for work (I even had to ask a male friend to call her up and pretend to be an agressive debt collector to get half back). A year later, she send the balance and adds "interest".

Nowadays, before anyone comes to me for a loan, before they are done speaking, I burst into tears and enact my own version Nollywood scene and story grin they get so put off.

3 Likes

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by mentorandfriend(m): 1:15pm On Dec 16, 2014
Money issues are delicate issues. I used to give out money a lot to people: colleagues, church members who happen to be in my unit or home cell, fellowship, etc. I soon discovered that paying is usually a task. When you need the money when they promised to pay up, you wont have it. If you persist by calls, they think you're harrasing them. Therefore I crossed my mind never to give money to anybody again except if I want to help the person without expecting the person to return the money. It has given me so much rest.

1 Like

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by Janet101(f): 1:32pm On Dec 16, 2014
I luv giving even wen people don't pay back, because we are owning God a lot and He still gives his mercy n love...am just praying for God's blessing
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by NnamdiN: 1:36pm On Dec 16, 2014
Besto:

seconded....asin ehn...a lady i did lend money cruise me round lagos...finally drop me for ALABA-SURU.its 2years now..babe lock up..

then of lately smoda 1 came rubbing my head requesting i lend ha sm bar....the kinda looks i gave ha ehn....she herself told me neva mind
lmao. Give as much as you can forget next time cool

haibe:
I pray this will not be my portion in Jesus name. Anyway it's just 2 weeks since i lent her this one, I hope I get repaid by next week.
Try not to remind her after the due date, if she lock up, you're on a long thing cheesy cheesy

Happy debt recovery and merry xmas cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by 12month: 1:36pm On Dec 16, 2014
Av been reading d comments n they are interesting. See d truth abt borrowing people moni is dat sometimes dey take it as dash or gift

Of course they won't tell u, since recent times that av been borrowing people money only 5 percent av paid back

So d rule is "Help those you really want to help BUT Always remember Never borrow what you can't afford to give out"
Re: Should You Continue To Give Loans To Friends, Relatives? by emmalexabl(m): 2:06pm On Dec 16, 2014
Call it loaning or whatever.,

If u are from Anambra state.,just forget about it.

Those people don do me strong thingy...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Hard Is It To Remain In Marriage? / Would You Consider Your Spouse Your Best Friend? / Olumide Akpata Biography: Parents, First Wife, State Of Origin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.