Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! (10183 Views)

Uzodinma Iweala: 'Beast Of No Nation', Based On Novel By Okonjo-iweala‘s Son / Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) / Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Chuksemi(m): 11:49am On Dec 17, 2014
Hardwork Pays. This Girl Inspires Me.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by chibwike(m): 11:49am On Dec 17, 2014
likeseriously:

Mr Man this your "tho" line is fast becoming a cliche in Nairaland. If you don't have what to say, just don't comment. Read comments and exit the post; don't make it an obligation to say something, then end up typing some nonsense.

Chibwike Tho undecided
hahahahaha....like seriously?.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 17, 2014
Weldone 4 d hardwrk!but i thnk her wrks are ovarated like purple hibiscus!but keep it up...amanda
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 17, 2014
Brightology2:
Do u know chimamanda is from utuoke. In case u don't know. N she is my kid sister too we also skul in France
Utuoke kor. She's from Anambra but grew up in Enugu.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by dayosaurus(m): 11:55am On Dec 17, 2014
ojokojonwanyi:

She's married.

Na you marry her abi?...

Anyway, the book was faantastic, held me spellbound for hours. The part I love most was how ceiling fucke.d ifemelu :* and her funn blogs.. Lwkmd
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 17, 2014
preshuzpearl:
I wish her the best.

I develop goose pimples all over whenever I hear about Chimamanda. She's so successful in what she does even though I don't really like her books.

I love the fact that she brings out the best descriptions and knows exactly what her readers want.

Looking forward to watching the movie.

If her books were as good as you just described, why don't you then like them? undecided
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 17, 2014
uzolexis:

I hope it'll be nothing like the movie adaptation of "half of a yellow sun" cause that movie was awful, spoilt the book for me cause i really loved that book. Americanah is also a wonderful story and i expect nothing short of the best from Lupita.....so i'm looking forward to this movie.

The censored adaptation?
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 17, 2014
Ishilove:

You're younger than I thought.

In the thirties....early. smiley
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 17, 2014
dayosaurus:

Na you marry her abi?...

Anyway, the book was faantastic, held me spellbound for hours. The part I love most was how ceiling fucke.d ifemelu :* and her funn blogs.. Lwkmd

She's married to a Nigerian, US based doctor. Dr. Ivara Isege.
http://www.talkofnaija.com/entertainment/meet-chimamanda-adichie-s-husband-ivara-esege-photos

She's a feminist and doesn't want to change her surname..

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
VickyyB:

She's married to a Nigerian, US based doctor. Dr. Ivara Isege.
http://www.talkofnaija.com/entertainment/meet-chimamanda-adichie-s-husband-ivara-esege-photos

She's a feminist and doesn't want to change her surname..

Thank you for educating Mr Dayosurus

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Warfibabe(f): 12:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
kennygee:
kiss

Hope The Nigerian Film and Videos Censors Board doesn't mess it up like they did "Half of a Yellow sun"

It would have been nice to see the Original Version before the whole Censorship thing came up.
exactly!! They ' shattered' half of a yellow sun for me. I hope they dont do the same to Americanah... I will be so heartbroken. sad
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 17, 2014
GozieDiora:

If her books were as good as you just described, why don't you then like them? undecided

They're kind of boring. I love seeing action in every page of any book I read. But hers? She uses 3 paragraphs to describe the palm trees and ancient market. I find myself jumping lines and I don't like doing that.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 17, 2014
lupita nyong is going to mess up that movie
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Suljosh: 12:12pm On Dec 17, 2014
DoctorTim:
Chimamanda.. Chimamanda... Chimamanda!!! how many times did I call u? Come to Nigeria and marry before u make too much money and forget your roots. This americanah people like u too much. Come home
Mr Otueke She's married.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by EdwardRandy(m): 12:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
Kenai:
Lupita Nyong'o is set to reteam with Brad Pitt's Plan B production company on the drama 'Americanah'.

Plan B, which produced 12 Years a Slave, has acquired big-screen rights to the Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie-penned novel and will produce alongside D2 Prods. and Potboiler Prods. (The Last King of Scotland, Generation Kill).

Lupita Nyong'o, who won the best supporting
actress prize in March for her turn in Steve
McQueen's 12 Years a Slave, is set for a lead
role in Americanah, and will also produce it.

"It is such an honour to have the opportunity
to bring Ms Adichie's brilliant book to the
screen," Nyong'o said. "Page after page, I
was struck by Ifemelu and Obinze's stories,
whose experiences as African immigrants are
so specific and also so imminently relatable.
It is a thrilling challenge to tell a truly
international story so full of love, humour
and heart."

Americanah is the epic love story of young Nigerians, a romance that spans continents, visas, phone cards and breakups, while exploring the cruelties and the humor of both the modern immigrant experience and the difficulty of finding your way home. The novel was the winner of the 2013 National Book Critics Circle Award for fiction and was selected as one of the 10 best books of the year byThe New York Times Book Review, the BBC andNewsday.

Adichie is the MacArthur Fellowship-winning author of the novels Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun, the film adaptation of which recently premiered in the United Kingdom and Nigeria.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lupita-nyongo-brad-pitt-reteam-709653

Igbos representing Nigeria since time immemorial cheesy grin grin cheesy
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Oahray: 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2014
Hmmm... Nice... Although I think Americanah had more volume than any real substance. Looks like something written to massage the black woman's ego.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by DonDiego(m): 12:29pm On Dec 17, 2014
cramjones:
Chimamanda impresses me everyday. Perhaps, what I am most impressed by is her rejection of the Otueke shoeless man in power. We will speak with one voice come 2015!

-CramJones

So, if she didn't 'reject' him, she would not impress you, right? I am sure you have not even read any of her books.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by iwriterng(m): 12:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
I don't understand why good books are being adapted into movies! It's impossible to act out a really good book in less than two hours of movies. Movie adaptation condescends original literary work. Good readers would understand what am trying to say.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by iwriterng(m): 12:39pm On Dec 17, 2014
preshuzpearl:

They're kind of boring. I love seeing action in every page of any book I read. But hers? [b] She uses 3 paragraphs to describe the palm trees and ancient market. [\b] I find myself jumping lines and I don't like doing that.

This is what defines a good book!
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by slap1(m): 12:44pm On Dec 17, 2014
Adichie don hammer! Congrats girl!
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Francis5: 12:53pm On Dec 17, 2014
cramjones:
Chimamanda impresses me everyday. Perhaps, what I am most impressed by is her rejection of the Otueke shoeless man in power. We will speak with one voice come 2015!

-CramJones

She is not supporting mullah buhari either.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by ecoliattack(m): 12:56pm On Dec 17, 2014
She is my crush.
My only problem is that Lupita should not play the role of ifemelu as she doesn't fully match the full description of Ifemelu.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by DarryOsh(m): 12:57pm On Dec 17, 2014
DoctorTim:
Chimamanda.. Chimamanda... Chimamanda!!! how many times did I call u? Come to Nigeria and marry before u make too much money and forget your roots. This americanah people like u too much. Come home

she has been married for about two years now
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:03pm On Dec 17, 2014
preshuzpearl:

They're kind of boring. I love seeing action in every page of any book I read. But hers? She uses 3 paragraphs to describe the palm trees and ancient market. I find myself jumping lines and I don't like doing that.

You are not a patient person and that makes you a non book lover.
In a book,every word,sentence,paragraph and page counts.
You should be watching movies or something that can give you a quick fix.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by peter4d2(m): 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2014
So dey frustrated half of a yellow sun God I luv dat book like hell n thr was sumfin I picked out wch tlk abt our Atlas whr all wstern continents ws put ontop of african continent" n on too d main stuff damn nigerians r too sentimental Obj released a book nody condemned it cos it discuss abt gej largely all I jess want 2 say baba is far worse n neva in d bset positn 2 criticise anybody.
Let's c d 21days ultimatum dat waz given by a judge 2 withdraw his book my watch.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by phlamesG: 1:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
Dis girl is just so good
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by mcsnup: 1:22pm On Dec 17, 2014
uzolexis:
I hope it'll be nothing like the movie adaptation of "half of a yellow sun" cause that movie was awful, spoilt the book for me cause i really loved that book. Americanah is also a wonderful story and i expect nothing short of the best from Lupita.....so i'm looking forward to this movie.
just my thought...i read novels and marvel only to watch it on screen and sigh.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by PropTrader: 1:23pm On Dec 17, 2014
uzobaby:
Weldone 4 d hardwrk!but i thnk her wrks are ovarated like purple hibiscus!but keep it up...amanda

WHAT HAVE YOU JUST SAID?
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Ishilove: 1:30pm On Dec 17, 2014
bushdoc9919:

In the thirties....early. smiley
Really? We're in the same age group. And here I was always calling you 'sir'. angry tongue grin
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by Ishilove: 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2014
PropTrader:

WHAT HAVE YOU JUST SAID?
I can't believe he/she just said that.
Re: Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! by 100Cents: 1:33pm On Dec 17, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones

Go and write your own book, hater !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between A Film And A Home Video? / Learning TV Presenting In Nigeria / The Village Headmaster Returns To TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.