Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? (784 Views)

Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? / Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by calisha555(f): 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2014
i am in a serious relationship wit my bf and he has ask me if I will marry him and I say yes bt my parent don't want me to marry a Muslim pls really need ur advice wat should I do m soo confuse?
Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by ammyluv2002(f): 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
Hmmm...I think your parents are right to an extent! I'm not criticizing any religion cause we all worship the same God but it's safer to marry the person you share the same faith with so as to have a common ground. There should be a holy book in which you guys can consult so in this case which do you use? The glorious Koran or The Holy bible? How about the kids? Where will they belong? On what grounds are the laws in the house made? How do you guys pray together as a family? These are the questions you have to ask yourself before going in... remember, there are some verses in the bible where you can get your answers.

I advise you prayer about it

1 Like

Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by ayoku777(m): 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2014
calisha555:
i am in a serious relationship wit my bf and he has ask me if I will marry him and I say yes bt my parent don't want me to marry a Muslim pls really need ur advice wat should I do m soo confuse?

Can Jesus be the the foundation and bedrock of a family with a marriage partner who doesn't even believe in Him as Lord and saviour?

If you are not big on making Jesus the bedrock of your family, then no biggie. Go ahead with it. But if you want Him to be Lord of your marriage as I hope you've made Him Lord of your life; then marry someone who also acknowledges Him as Lord.

Marriages are under attack by the enemy now. And yours won't be an exception. You really would need to be able to pray confidently in the name of Jesus against any such attacks. And that confidence begins with first making Jesus the bedrock and foundation of your home.

That cannot be the case with a partner who doesn't believe in Jesus as Lord and saviour.

If you want Jesus to be the Omega of your home; then make Him the Alpha. Marry someone who has Jesus as Lord as you do.

That unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the son of God is needed for perfection in the home and in the church. The two places under mega attack from the enemy now.
Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by ayoku777(m): 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2014
ammyluv2002:
Hmmm...I think your parents are right to an extent! I'm not criticizing any religion cause we all worship the same God but it's safer to marry the person you share the same faith with so as to have a common ground. There should be a holy book in which you guys can consult so in this case which do you use? The glorious Koran or The Holy bible? How about the kids? Where will they belong? On what grounds are the laws in the house made? How do you guys pray together as a family? These are the questions you have to ask yourself before going in... remember, there are some verses in the bible where you can get your answers.

I advise you prayer about it

Why do we keep saying we serve the same God? Is it just to sound diplomatic? Or we really do believe it?

We don't serve the same God with anyone who doesn't believe Jesus Christ is the Messiah, the Son of the living God; and that He died for our sins and rose for our justification.

Scripture called anyone who denies this creed an antichrist. 2John 1v7

I needed to say this and quickly too, because from your "advice", you created the impression that it is ok for her to change her faith and become a muslim as long as they have a 'common ground'. As if all that matters is for them to believe the same thing and read from a common book as a family even if it means denying Christ.

No, emphatically no. You don't want to have the loss of a soul that Jesus died for on your hands and your conscience in the name of being diplomatic.

Jesus is Lord, Saviour and the way; and she should not go into an institution as hallowed as marriage with someone who doesn't believe in Christ as the Lord as well. She should marry only someone who knows Jesus as Lord, Saviour and the Way, as she does.

No, we are not serving the same God. And its not diplomacy to admit so, it is heresis.
Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 17, 2014
Follow your parents' advice. Parents know best. Marry from your own religion.
Interreligious marriages are very risky.
Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2014
calisha555:

You guys cannot get get married because your imaginary God is different to his imaginary God,isn't that is a huge shame ?sad
Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by debraleey: 7:54pm On Dec 17, 2014
I dont fancy commenting on nl but one qstn.....will he love u as Christ loved the church?.....just as Jesus commands husbands...
Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by Canme4u(m): 4:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hmmmmmm, Christians and their holliar than thou attitude, when brother John ain't coming arround to propose, would you rather see her being single till enternity? All the comment I see here are....

@op I'm a Muslim and I would not advice you to go against the wishes of your parent. It is written in the Holy Quran that our parent are our path to Aljanat ( Paradise )
Re: Is Religion A Barrer To Marriage? by QueenSalewa: 9:29pm On Apr 19, 2016
calisha555:

I'm likely to face a similar situation to your own when I wish to marry.

All I can say is that interreligious marriages CAN work. I have several family members that have done such. But, your kids will take their father's religion, and your religious conviction will also become non existent too. Just keep that in mind... And please, don't disobey your parents. If they're not accepting it at all, just move on. Marrying a guy is not worth it if it will tear your family apart.

Take care dear.

(1) (Reply)

Is Using Internet Browsing Tweak A Sin To God / Is God A Mare Figment Of Our Imaginations? / Does Mark’s Gospel Implicitly Deny The Virgin Birth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.