Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Is This How Much Money Can Change People? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This How Much Money Can Change People? (2176 Views)

Who Among You Men Can Change Your Baby's Diaper For Your Wife / How Much Money Should A Lady Contribute towards Family Upkeep? / Boyfriend Spends So Much Money On Stay-at-home Mom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by magicbrain(m): 5:59pm On Dec 17, 2014
I feel quite sad to be posting this on here but I have been dwelling on it for weeks, I have this friend I am a few years older than, both of us are in our twenties. Long story short, He was like a twin brother to me, we had mutual respect for one another, I always try to be there for him and I love him even more than my siblings(No Homo).

We went through Unilag together though I was 2yrs ahead of him, this guy couldn't even get into a nightclub if he wasn't with me, can't count the several sacrifices I have made for him. I actually care for him so much that I can't explain why...I wanted him to succeed as much as he wanted.

Fastforward a few years after we left school, this guy got a couple of contracts here and there and made some bucks, me? I work in an IT firm, six figure bucks and I can take care of my needs(but I never blow), suddenly this guy has changed beyond what I can comprehend, He has become suddenly disrespectful, dishonest and inconsiderate....little things here and there but it really hurts.

I am most hurt because I have lost a friend I cherish and love so much because he has made a few bucks, someone I have mentored, someone I introduced to people in my inner-circle as a blood brother when indeed he was just a friend. Life has improved a lot for me since school days, nice ride, a nice crib and all that but I havent changed a lot, I still respect my Egbons and i still keep in touch with my pals.

Why has money changed my friend so much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
He's still acting like a kid , don't worry soon he'll grow up but that might take quite a long time .

1 Like

Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by Mendo007(m): 6:08pm On Dec 17, 2014
bro I understand how you feel but u no wat? just chill n focus on ur life and let him grow up and den he would realise what real frnshp is all about
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by 2CatWoman: 6:21pm On Dec 17, 2014
Maybe the guy had to tell some half-truthes to get to where he is now so as to hide his humble background, since you are a link to the past you will be in a position to expose him.
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by lafflaff123(m): 8:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
Bros the truth of the matter is that money do not change people, people change people.

A pastor once said that there is no way, 10 friends can be together for 10 years and that is true. So there fore its time for you to move on because you guys don't move in the same circles anymore. The truth of the matter is that you guys share nothing in common and if you must admit it truthfully, deep down in your inner recesses you despise or is very jealous of his success(deep down in your mind), this does not mean you are a bad person, it just shows you are human.

So a couple of questions:

You want you guys to return to your pre-adult days again?

You want him to show you more respect?

Are you one of those who usually use the phrase "IF NO BE ME DO THIS FOR AM HIM FOR NO BIG UP"?

What exactly do you want from him?

Ask yourself the aforementioned questions and tell yourself the truth.

You can not force yourself on a friend and its time you swallow your manly pride/ego and let go of him, friendship comes Naturally.

I have good childhood friends, some helped me a lot even up to my University level, and some actually gave me clothes to wear while growing up as i grew up lacking. But today, we really don't talk. Except for an occasional FB hi, we all have moved on to different phases and stages in our lives. We are not close today not because we all made something out of our live's, we all just drifted apart without any hard feelings.

Lastly, pray for your success and your friends success too and let him be.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by CONTROLi(m): 9:09pm On Dec 17, 2014
Those Who Love Your Presents....Does Not Necessarily Love Your Presence.....
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by GHANAOGA: 3:28am On Dec 22, 2014
lafflaff123:
Bros the truth of the matter is that money do not change people, people change people.

A pastor once said that there is no way, 10 friends can be together for 10 years and that is true. So there fore its time for you to move on because you guys don't move in the same circles anymore. The truth of the matter is that you guys share nothing in common and if you must admit it truthfully, deep down in your inner recesses you despise or is very jealous of his success(deep down in your mind), this does not mean you are a bad person, it just shows you are human.

So a couple of questions:

You want you guys to return to your pre-adult days again?

You want him to show you more respect?

Are you one of those who usually use the phrase "IF NO BE ME DO THIS FOR AM HIM FOR NO BIG UP"?

What exactly do you want from him?

Ask yourself the aforementioned questions and tell yourself the truth.

You can not force yourself on a friend and its time you swallow your manly pride/ego and let go of him, friendship comes Naturally.

I have good childhood friends, some helped me a lot even up to my University level, and some actually gave me clothes to wear while growing up as i grew up lacking. But today, we really don't talk. Except for an occasional FB hi, we all have moved on to different phases and stages in our lives. We are not close today not because we all made something out of our live's, we all just drifted apart without any hard feelings.

Lastly, pray for your success and your friends success too and let him be.

so u see sense in all that garbage u typed? u guys were not really friends..just parasites on each other.true friends dont drift apart and end up exchanging only 'hi" on facebook

1 Like

Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by BluStreak(m): 7:50am On Dec 22, 2014
I bet my beloved bole & peanuts jam that this lafflaff123 is the guy OP is talking about. If you read through his post you'll find out he personalised the matter. "People don't just come here and carry matta for head like dis".
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 22, 2014
Magicbrain

Jay Z:
Man, they go and tell me like
you never know who your true friends until you ah
umm
both got a little bit of money
I mean cause y'all both broke
then there's no strain on the relationship, y'all both
broke
And if you got money and he ain't got no paper
He still needs you so you'll never know how he really
feel about you
When y'all both get some paper, you'll see
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by mutter(f): 5:41pm On Dec 22, 2014
That is the strange way of the world. Those friends you help the most turn out to be the most ungrateful even turn back to stab you. That is why one should only do things for heavenly reward.
Your friend was not just POOR MATERIALLY BUT ALSO MENTALLY. He can have all the money in the world but he remains poor in character,and all other things that count.
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by Goldenboy007(m): 5:59pm On Dec 22, 2014
Hmmmm...An old man once told me -Friendship is sweet when friends are at par!!! Bros find your own level...what you did for him in the past is history..
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by TV01(m): 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2014
The money didn’t change him...he was always like that...his former lack of money just meant he could'nt show the darker(self-serving) side of his character without cost...now he can literally afford too.

Please learn a very valuable lesson here. I have also experienced this. There are people who will draw close too you based on what they can gain from you.

Once they have obtained all they think you are worth or surpassed you, you will be cut off, marginalised, or treated in a distinctly inferior manner. And possibly quite shabbily – treating you like their boy-boy or like you don’t know what’s up.

There are many such from poorer or impoverished backgrounds. Their desire to “advance themselves” is often their main motivator. Treating you badly is a manifestation of the inferiority complex that drives them.

Apart from wounded feelings - and yes, it hurts when someone you championed and sought the best for at all times, literally stabs you in the back - it doesn’t look like you lost too much.

A valuable lesson at not too great a cost. Please don’t let it affect what I sense is a generous spirit, however, do be circumspect in your dealing with people and how much you commit yourself to them.

Watch what happens if he stumbles or falls, or otherwise needs to call on you for assistance.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by ihedinobi2: 10:48pm On Dec 22, 2014
TV01:
The money didn’t change him...he was always like that...his former lack of money just meant he could'nt show the darker(self-serving) side of his character without cost...now he can literally afford too.

Please learn a very valuable lesson here. I have also experienced this. There are people who will draw close too you based on what they can gain from you.

Once they have obtained all they think you are worth or surpassed you, you will be cut off, marginalised, or treated in a distinctly inferior manner. And possibly quite shabbily – treating you like their boy-boy or like you don’t know what’s up.

There are many such from poorer or impoverished backgrounds. Their desire to “advance themselves” is often their main motivator. Treating you badly is a manifestation of the inferiority complex that drives them.

Apart from wounded feelings - and yes, it hurts when someone you championed and sought the best for at all times, literally stabs you in the back - it doesn’t look like you lost too much.

A valuable lesson at not too great a cost. Please don’t let it affect what I sense is a generous spirit, however, do be circumspect in your dealing with people and how much you commit yourself to them.

Watch what happens if he stumbles or falls, or otherwise needs to call on you for assistance.

TV
You're back! It's good to see you again, bro. Have you been well? It has been a while.
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 23, 2014
magicbrain:
I feel quite sad to be posting this on here but I have been dwelling on it for weeks, I have this friend I am a few years older than, both of us are in our twenties. Long story short, He was like a twin brother to me, we had mutual respect for one another, I always try to be there for him and I love him even more than my siblings(No Homo).

We went through Unilag together though I was 2yrs ahead of him, this guy couldn't even get into a nightclub if he wasn't with me, can't count the several sacrifices I have made for him. I actually care for him so much that I can't explain why...I wanted him to succeed as much as he wanted.

Fastforward a few years after we left school, this guy got a couple of contracts here and there and made some bucks, me? I work in an IT firm, six figure bucks and I can take care of my needs(but I never blow), suddenly this guy has changed beyond what I can comprehend, He has become suddenly disrespectful, dishonest and inconsiderate....little things here and there but it really hurts.

I am most hurt because I have lost a friend I cherish and love so much because he has made a few bucks, someone I have mentored, someone I introduced to people in my inner-circle as a blood brother when indeed he was just a friend. Life has improved a lot for me since school days, nice ride, a nice crib and all that but I havent changed a lot, I still respect my Egbons and i still keep in touch with my pals.

it's a poverty mentality. Believe it or not. Those who come from filthy rich background don't look at money the way a kid from poverty stricken background would act when they "hammer", at least I have seen both sides to know this.

1 Like

Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by missdebs(f): 1:57am On Dec 23, 2014
money reveals the true character of a man
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by aspirebig: 7:00am On Dec 23, 2014
It happens, give him space...he might come to his senses, if he doesn't, good for you. Thank God you are still doing well in your right, who says tomorrow you won't blow too?

I dont get moved by such things because God has been faithful ....

If you keep going to him, he might start avoiding you, giving you fake appointments, promising to help you as if you are actually coming for help, as an old friend, there should be some levels of relationship no matter what, but human beings are highly unpredictable.
Re: Is This How Much Money Can Change People? by Nexxy007: 8:11am On Dec 23, 2014
magicbrain:

there is a saying "if you see stream flowing uphill, someone is paying back kindness". So my brother, do not put too much expectation on men.

(1) (Reply)

See What Bleaching Did To This Lady / India Man And Nigeria Woman Marriage / HELP! Her Husband Spends Her Money On His Side Chick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.