Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,623 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements (13909 Views)

Futo Post-utme Cut Off Marks & Admission Requirements For 2013/2014 / Abu Admission Requirements For All Courses / Unilorin PG School, Admission Requirements And Other Infos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by CyberWolf: 11:44am On Dec 18, 2014
Northerners has destroyed this country but nothing de happen angry..we will give it to them blood for blood this time around..Olisa and your team, God bless and strengthen you..

3 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by PHfinest(m): 11:46am On Dec 18, 2014
gratiaeo:
DECEMBER 18, 2014 BY RAMON OLADIMEJI
{
A Federal High Court in Lagos has entered judgement in favour of an application by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba, seeking uniform admission requirements into Federal Government Colleges, otherwise called unity schools.

Agbakoba had sued the Minister of Education, Mr. Ibrahim Shekarau, over the disparity in the admission requirements for students seeking to study in the unity schools.

Delivering judgement in the suit marked FHC/L/CS/1358/2013 on Wednesday, Justice James Tsoho held that such disparities in admission requirements into the Federal Government colleges were against the spirit of Section 42(1) of the 1999 Constitution.

The judge held that since the Constitution was supreme, it would automatically override any administrative law or policies adopted by the Ministry of Education.

The court therefore ordered Shekarau to apply uniform admission requirements, especially cut-off marks, to all candidates seeking admission into unity schools across the country.

In a 19-paragraph affidavit filed in support of his suit, Agbakoba had stated that since the inception of the unity schools, the Federal Government had maintained disparities in admission requirements.

He noted in particular that the Federal Government prescribed different cut-off marks based on the candidates’ gender and their states of origin.

He therefore sought a declaration of the court that the action of the education minister in prescribing and applying different requirements, including cut-off marks, to candidates seeking admission into unity schools was in violation of the Constitution.

He asked the court to grant an order of perpetual injunction restraining the education minister from all further acts of discrimination in admission to the unity schools.
http://www.punchng.com/news/court-cancels-disparity-in-federal-colleges-admission-requirements/

• Abia Male(130) Female (130)
• AkwaIbom Male(123), Female (123)
• Anambra Male(139) Female (139)
• Benue Male (111), Female (111)
• Bayelsa Male (72), Female (72)
• CrossRivers Male (97), Female (97)
• Delta Male (131), Female (131)
• Ebonyi Male (112), Female (112)
• Edo Male (127), Female (127)
• Ekiti Male (119), Female (119)
• Enugu Male (134), Female (1340
• Imo Male (138), Female (138)
• Kogi Male (119), Female (119)
• Kwara Male (123), Female (123)
• Lagos Male (133), Female (133)
• Ogun Male (131), Female (131)
• Ondo Male (126), Female (126)
• Rivers Male (118), Female (118)
• Osun Male (127), Female (127)
• Oyo Male (127), Female (127)
• Plateau Male (97), Female (97)
• Yobe Male (20), Female (27)
• FCTAbuja Male (90), Female (90)
• Kaduna Male (91), Female (91)
• Nasarawa Male (58), Female 58)
• Niger Male (93), Female (93)
• Kano Male (67), Female (67)
• Katsina Male (60), Female (60)
• Adamawa Male (62) Female (62) shocked shocked
• Borno Male (45), Female (45) shocked shocked shocked
• Gombe Male (58), Female (58) shocked shocked
• Jigawa Male(44), Female (44) shocked shocked
• Bauchi Male (35), Female (35) shocked shocked
• Kebbi Male (9), Female (20) shocked shocked
• Sokoto Male (9), Female (13) shocked shocked
• Taraba Male (3), Female (11) shocked shocked
• Zamfara Male (4), Female (2)

This is why the North wants power back at all costs.
We will grow towards true fedralism whether under GMB or whethern't

2 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Forwetinnah: 11:51am On Dec 18, 2014
Superb!! Nuisances, they don't want to study yet they dream of holding key positions in the Country thereby dragging us through filth. The same people who cry marginalisation wouldn't cry favoritism in situations like these. Nigeria went from 50 to zilch under Northern rule.

2 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by idnole4(m): 11:56am On Dec 18, 2014
The beginning of an end to institutionalized discrimination.

3 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Arysexy(m): 12:07pm On Dec 18, 2014
God bless u Olisa Agbakoba SAN

4 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by tandj: 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Dbboy(m): 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
You see why most of us insist the Muslim north are not sound enough to rule us that why Buhari thought he could single handedly stabilize the price of oil what else do you expect when cut off mark is 20 and 27 for yobe.

Nigeria we need to be moving forward not backward for those who have ears listen.

2 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by 500GP: 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
THIS DOESN'T AFFECT SOUTH WEST NEGATIVELY.

SOUTH WEST ALWAYS ON THEIR TOES.

SOUTH WEST - MOST EDUCATED TRIBE IN NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by 500GP: 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
THIS DOESN'T AFFECT SOUTH WEST NEGATIVELY.

SOUTH WEST ALWAYS ON THEIR TOES.

SOUTH WEST(YORUBA ) - MOST EDUCATED TRIBE IN NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by UjSizzle(f): 12:13pm On Dec 18, 2014
Anambra and Imo!

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Rilwayne001: 12:13pm On Dec 18, 2014
lol grin
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by jfkenny(m): 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2014
what are the sins of anambra men and even their women.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by gratiaeo(m): 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2014
hayoakins:
Quota system has always been a SCAM.

I remember a professional colleague almost went gaga in an ethical class when i opposed his view on the existence of quota system all in the name that a particular region being academically disadvantaged.

If the guys in the South West can burn the midnight candles, those in the North should do likewise and not be given undue advantage all in the name of regional development.

I still find it appalling that a candidate from the North back in the days was admitted into the University with 100 JAMB score while South Westerner with over 200 will have to pray, fast and even fall sick severally to be able to make third list undecided
You shouldn't use Southwest as an example because they are the second beneficiary after north.

4 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Forwetinnah: 12:36pm On Dec 18, 2014
jfkenny:
what are the sins of anambra men and even their women.....

I wonder o?? Dem want make una tanda for Onitsha market??

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by vigasimple(m): 12:36pm On Dec 18, 2014
Even Sai Bhuari got in via this dubious quota system in federal school and the military.

One on One with Bhuari you will ask yourself, is the best Nigeria can offer especially at age 72.

2 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by ZKOSOSO(m): 12:38pm On Dec 18, 2014
Collynzo9:

He was raised in the east, Onitsha precisely.

Guy! I know Olisa myself. Ask him. He was raised in the north Jos.

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Collynzo9: 12:46pm On Dec 18, 2014
ZKOSOSO:

Guy! I know Olisa myself. Ask him. He was raised in the north Jos.
Being born there does not equate being raised there. He was raised in the east, from primary up to university level.
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by gratiaeo(m): 12:53pm On Dec 18, 2014
This is the reason we must not allow Buhari and his co-backward northerners to rule us again.
Buhari represent our ugly past

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
gratiaeo:

Op, please kindly correct the cut off mark for Yobe in your list. The cut of for Yobe male candidates is 2 and not 20. Thank you.
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by hayoakins(m): 1:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
gratiaeo:

You shouldn't use Southwest as an example because they are the second beneficiary after north.

Lagos Male (133), Female (133)
Ogun Male (131), Female (131)
Rivers Male (118), Female (118)
Osun Male (127), Female (127)
Oyo Male (127), Female (127)

SE/SS 118 - to SW 133? You need to apologise grin

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by IGBOSON1: 1:07pm On Dec 18, 2014
Truman155:
I think its long over due... In those days i applied for abu zaria and i got 251 points in my jamb (note in those days euen 200 in jamb exam was a magnificient result).... but i wasnt given admision insted... 2 of my friends from another nothern tribe that got lower scores in both jamb and post jamb were given admision in the same department we all applied.... So as a young lad tribalim was engraved in my heart through experience...... Now i see those same people shoutimg one nigeria all i do is just laugh... Because at my first opportunity i would change nationality so help me God.... #I lost faith in nigeria a long time ago

^^^Hehehehe grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by knightsTempler: 1:07pm On Dec 18, 2014
And when IBB said Buhari is the only military officer that never passed exam and some people were arguing, little wonder...

4 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Amanwulu1(m): 1:12pm On Dec 18, 2014
martincbarton:
great.
how do I get dis product. I'm at zuba(fct).
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by phlamesG: 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2014
Lets say no 2 discrimination!
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Kingspin(m): 1:26pm On Dec 18, 2014
ZKOSOSO:
May God Keep Blessing this rare lawyer with a human face !! Olisa was born and raised in the north. So he knows it!!

You can see clearly that it takes a southerner who is born, raise and school in the core muslim North to really appreciate the thick discrimation that exist in this country put in place by ahmadu bello from the 50s till date!

Elds criteria for kids
Catchment area for adult students
Quota system for working class
Federal character for positions and promotions
Muslim/ christian for politicians and traditional institutions. Nearly all palaces in north arefor fulani muslims evenwhen xtians are 90% of the population, eg kafanchan, gwoza, mubi, zuru, all of fct palaces!!
North/south for president

Its almost impossible for a southerner born and raised in the north will not grow up with a sense of hate.

Now let's face this for once!! Are emirs supposed to be paid with govt money?? They are islamic leaders that only use Sharia to rule.
So they are like pastors, rev fathers,bishops etc. So why maintain them with govt fund??
Ask the general and his brothers.
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by kenny987(f): 1:29pm On Dec 18, 2014
Chei! The first time I came across this this list of cut-off marks for admission into Unitary Colleges, I was pained! Is it not the same curriculum that all students are exposed to? Is it not the same Nigeria? So why the disparity if it is not to give undue advantage to a particular area over others! If the differences were within a range of 10-20 marks, it would have been fairly tolerable; if the gap was even progressively narrowed say from 2, to 20, to 40, 60 and so on, say every 2 years, it might have been fair but nothing of the sort! In fact, to ask a student to score up to 139 and another just 2...that's the height of injustice!
If there must be good development in education, then the perceived dull and disadvantaged ones should be brought up to scratch! If they don't have to work hard and still get all benefits how then will we move from the bad position? Funny enough, the people they are doing such favour do not even wish to go to said school and get an education. Shebi dem say na boko haram? So what is the point or justification?

Good for the Nigerian Judiciary, Olisa Agbakoba (SAN) and the Nigerian education system. It had better be implemented such that all students should be required to score no less than 139 and not bring it all down to 2! I dey talk am because retrogression is their stock-in-trade and na dem be Minister of Education since! Choi! Naija must get it right!

2 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by mt77: 1:45pm On Dec 18, 2014
May God bless Mr Agbakoba. That's one of the ways Nigeria promoted mediocrity in the system. Hopefully, same will apply to other facets of national life.

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by pazienza(m): 2:16pm On Dec 18, 2014
UjSizzle:
Anambra and Imo!

"Anambara na Imo bu umunne,ana m ekene o! Udo dili unu dili anyi o" !

1 Like

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by olyivy(f): 2:23pm On Dec 18, 2014
hayoakins:

Lagos Male (133), Female (133)
Ogun Male (131), Female (131)
Rivers Male (118), Female (118)
Osun Male (127), Female (127)
Oyo Male (127), Female (127)

SE/SS 118 - to SW 133? You need to apologise grin

No YOU need to apologize

Abia Male(130) Female (130) <----> Ondo Male (126), Female (126)
Anambra Male(139) Female (139) <----> Lagos Male (133), Female (133)
Enugu Male (134), Female (134) <----> Ogun Male (131), Female (131)
Ebonyi Male (112), Female (112) <----> Ekiti Male (119), Female (119)
Imo Male (138), Female (138) <----> Oyo Male (127), Female (127)
========================= <----> Osun Male (127), Female (127)

6 Likes

Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by nagoma(m): 2:26pm On Dec 18, 2014
Good move especially if they will also cancel exam malpractice. That is how the majority of our southern brothers and sisters get into the universities and that's how they graduate.
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by MagicEmpire: 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2014
This is the change they are talking about.
The want the status quo to remain.

We need to keep some people away from government as the Igbos were kept after the Civil war which resulted in the awakening in all aspects the are experiencing now even in the education sector.

Bringing in back a northern for now will still make them lazy.
We need a competitive country were all regions will be at their best not this fuckinguota system that encourages laziness l
Re: Court Cancels Disparity In Federal Colleges’ Admission Requirements by Mavrick2012: 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2014
just some months back,this news would have come as a good-news to most(on this forum) but not at a time like this.i mean the bacanistas,berems,obiagellis etc will either hate or simply view or move to nxt thread,y?cause it negatively affects their new-found brothers.LOL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibadan Police Clash With Federal College Of Agriculture, 2 Staff Shot,10 Injured / 4 Easy Ways To Get An Undergraduate Scholarship In Nigeria / Free Compulsory Education Begins In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.