Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? (1691 Views)

How Do I Recover My Lost Folder On External Hard Drive: Help / How To Repair A Spoilt/crashed Hard Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by DECOtech(m): 9:52am On Dec 18, 2014
Samsung external hard drive 500gig

Can't be formatted.

What can I do to revive it?
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by tundeayo2020: 9:56am On Dec 18, 2014
place your ears on the hdd to listen for any clicking, continuous grinding, squeaking noise. If any, please quote me on what to do next.
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by ChubbyRomeo(m): 10:24am On Dec 18, 2014
My hard drive also has dhat issue, n i can hear d squekin sound. wah shud i do
tundeayo2020:
place your ears on the hdd to listen for any clicking, continuous grinding, squeaking noise. If any, please quote me on what to do next.
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by Kk4(m): 3:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
tundeayo2020:
my Hdd have these symptoms.. Help!!
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by shawlxAk(m): 8:36am On Dec 19, 2014
DECOtech:
Samsung external hard drive 500gig

Can't be formatted.

What can I do to revive it?

Try changing the drive letter: Open Disk management, right click on the drive and choose change drive letter and path.

If that does not work, deleting any existing partition and then recreating it will surely resolve your problem; but you will lose existing data on the drive.
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by tundeayo2020: 1:30pm On Dec 19, 2014
Kk4:
my Hdd have these symptoms.. Help!!
is the hdd still working?
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by Kk4(m): 7:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
tundeayo2020:
is the hdd still working?
yes, but Pc can't see it
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by DECOtech(m): 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2014
shawlxAk:

Try changing the drive letter: Open Disk management, right click on the drive and choose change drive letter and path.

If that does not work, deleting any existing partition and then recreating it will surely resolve your problem; but you will lose existing data on the drive.

Thank you sir, I will try that.
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by tundeayo2020: 12:29pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kk4:
yes, but Pc can't see it
try these easy steps if you are on windows.
1. Click on the 'start' icon
2. Type 'run' without the '' quote and click enter
3. In the run box type 'cmd' and click on 'ok'
4. Type 'diskpart' and wait for a few seconds
5. Then type 'list disk' now at this stage you'll see a list of all hard disk currently installed in your pc.
6. Try to identify the bad hdd, and take note of its number, it usually starts from 0.
7. Now type 'select disk x' note- x is the number assigned to the drive. E.g. I want to deal with disk 0 i'll type 'select disk 0' . You catch.
8. Now that you've successfully selected disk bla bla bla, type 'clean'
and let it clean up the hdd,
9. Again type 'clean all' and let it clean itself.
10. Chill cuz its going to take take a while like 2 to 3 hr
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by tundeayo2020: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
ChubbyRomeo:
My hard drive also has dhat issue, n i can hear d squekin sound. wah shud i do
is it still working?
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by Kk4(m): 5:44pm On Dec 20, 2014
tundeayo2020:
5. Then type 'list disk' now at this stage you'll see a list of all hard disk currently installed in your pc.
6. Try to identify the bad hdd, and take note of its number, it usually starts from 0.
7. Now type 'select disk x' note- x is the number assigned to the drive. E.g. I want to deal with disk 0 i'll type 'select disk 0' . You catch.
I hope this works.. Thanks Fam
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by Kk4(m): 5:58pm On Dec 20, 2014
tundeayo2020:
I keep getting "clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume."

What do I do?
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by tundeayo2020: 6:22pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kk4:
I keep getting "clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume."

What do I do?
wait does it show windows cannot ..... this drive? then it gives/show you an option to format it upon insertion? and ehm also do you have windows 7 installation disk? I'd really love to help but I need this info to assist you on what to do next.
Also I've you tried assigning a different drive letter to the faulty drive?
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by Kk4(m): 6:53pm On Dec 20, 2014
tundeayo2020:
wait does it show windows cannot ..... this drive? then it gives/show you an option to format it upon insertion? and ehm also do you have windows 7 installation disk? I'd really love to help but I need this info to assist you on what to do next.
Also I've you tried assigning a different drive letter to the faulty drive?
I truly appreciate your help.

I use windows 8.. I followed all the steps until I got to 'clean' (9 and 10).

It did not show 'windows cannot....." It just shows my initial post after I type "clean" and press enter.

No format option and I don't have windows 7 disk..
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by tundeayo2020: 7:35pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kk4:

It did not show 'windows cannot....." It just shows my initial post after I type "clean" and press enter.

that error might show up when the drive you are trying to clean is your primary installation drive, that is your main drive or that the drive was once upon a time used as the primary drive, or that you or someone else mistakenly copied windows boot file. Etc,

are you sure you are not selecting your main internal hdd assigned number?

Do you have a windows 8.1 installation disk?
Also try ubcd or partition magic software and see if it can access the faulty hdd.

Also check in cmd if the drive is offline or online using step 1-8 of my previous post, also type list partition to see if it is partitioned into different sections.
Re: How Do I Revive A Crashed External Hard Drive? by shawlxAk(m): 7:44pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kk4:

You selected the wrong disk. Disk 0 represents your internal hard drive. Your external hard drive should be disk 1.

(1) (Reply)

Fairly Used Acer Aspire 3630 Laptop For Sale@20k / Buy A Very Neat Hp 250 G2 Notebook Pc. / SOLD OUT!!! Uk Used Acer, Core I5 Ram 4gb, 500gb Hard Drive, 4hrs Backup @55k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.