Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

A Brief Note On The Buhari And APC Question - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Brief Note On The Buhari And APC Question (558 Views)

Picture Of Barr James Ocholi Body Lying In State Plus A Brief Profile / Buhari And Son Felipe King Of Spain At A Meeting (Photos) / Cars Destroyed After PDP And APC Supporters Clashed In Kaduna (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Brief Note On The Buhari And APC Question by 7thCANON: 12:30am On Dec 19, 2014
I'm writing this note based on the prevailing notion that Buhari will bring significant change if elected president. Well, let me say I am yet to decide which side to lean on and want someone to convince me on why I should vote Buhari.

Let me start by saying that the Nigerian political space has been rife with blank statements on issues that are very complex and require detailed analysis. For example, when someone says he will create one million jobs for graduates (i.e. skilled jobs) within a year someone needs to ask: How? Where will he get the additional money from to invest? Will it be from loans or government bonds? How will this affect future generations? In standard project implementation there is usually a "logical framework" that states the activities, outputs, outcomes, and indicators. The progress/success of the project may then be measured against the output and indicators. Moreover, before a logical framework is established there is usually a critical appraisal of the state of the system. For now, both PDP and APC are only playing to the gallery with all the rhetoric. The PDP government has done its bit - whether excellently, averagely, or poorly. APC has not told us how it will deal handle the same issues in a very pragmatic manner taking into consideration the peculiarity of Nigeria.

"Fighting corruption" is so vague a campaign manifesto. In fact, the first issue here is the definition of corruption. Really, who isn't corrupt? The students that cheat in WASSCE and university exams? (I’m sure most people on Nairaland are culprits). The civil servant that swore to serve but doesn't stay in office from 8am-4pm? The contractor that uses sub-standard materials for construction? How will Buhari treat the members of the National Assembly vis-a-vis budget approval if (or when) they demand their allowance? Won’t he "negotiate"? Can Buhari ensure that the judiciary will not release people with corruption allegations (guess that negates the principles of separation of power). How will Buhari ensure that a Supreme Court judge doesn't give give a former governor "permanent protection against harassment by the government or any of it agents"? Won’t we also accuse him of the same corruption? etc. Indeed, most of our youths talking about corruption are worse. All you need is to look at the departmental and faculty students' association in the various universities to see how corrupt we are. Nobody has presented us we a true picture of the "State of Corruption in Nigeria" which is the first step of solving the corruption problem. And I am convinced that if the "State of Corruption in Nigeria" is presented 95% of those shouting Buhari as the redeemer will be fall under the corrupt category. Here, I am reminded on the story of an electronic retailer who complained bitterly about how wicked people are. He said "can you imagine, that man bought over N150,000 worth of things from my shop using fake currencies. Indeed, people are very wicked". When asked what he did with the fake currencies he responded "well, I .... I also spent the fake currencies".

Moreover, on all this talk about Buhari being the only saint in Nigeria. My opinion is this: I agree that Buhari has all the credentials of not being corrupt, and has even declared his assets already. However, electioneering is quite expensive; therefore can someone tell me where Buhari will get the money to run his campaigns. Sure, someone will say is from donations. So where twill people get the money to donate? It seems the argument here is "I am not a thief but if you steal the money and donate to me I'll happily accept". Now, what does not make Buhari? Well, i'll tell you. An "honest" man who receives stolen wealth! I remember my primary school teacher used to say "show me your friends and I'll tell who you are"

For now, I'm yet to see APC appraise the existing government policies. For example, how will the health sector be improved to prevent all the strikes by health workers and also improve quality of service? How will Buhari handle the ASUU issues? What about public procurement policy, public-private partnership policy, automobile policy, agricultural policy, energy policy, etc. Nobody is presenting a roadmap, with clear measurable targets, on improving education sector. Nobody is telling us how he will ensure that the high foreign investment entering Nigeria will ensure mutual benefits to Nigerians. How will Buhari ensure that "pending trial" suspects do not stay in cells beyond three months? How will Buhari ensure that the erosion in the south east is contained? How will Buhari ensure that the million Almajiris created in the North through neglect by their state governments and now used by Boko Haram are engaged in productive activities? (Yes, education is on the concurrent list on the constitution so state governments are mainly responsible for secondary education). How will Buhari ensure that the Calabar EPZ is reactivated or that the sea port in Akwa Ibom is fast tracked? How will Buhari ensure that the rail system becomes fully operational and efficient? What about all the inter-state boundary crises, how will these be sorted out? Will Buhari propose the 25% derivation for resource-rich states to the national assembly? How will the solid minerals sector be developed to diversify the economy? I think I have seen enough of Nigeria and understand that things are very complex. In 1999 Obasanjo was heralded as the one to solve our problem but I guess we expected too much.

People talk about Nigeria having made lots of money from crude oil sales. How many people understand that upstream petroleum exploration in Nigeria is done on joint venture or production sharing contract basis? How many people understand that even if oil price is US$100 per barrel that the amount of money that goes to the federation account may not be up to US50 per barrel (even US$50 seems on the high side). And the inherent problem here has nothing to do with corruption, unless the corruption that made military governments lease oil fields to oil majors for a 20 years lease period (and 40 years in some cases) or sign contracts that gave oil majors over-riding powers. How will Buhari sort out this problem (if possible)? What about the petroleum industry bill that oil majors are doing everything to block?

So for now, PDP has shown the little (or much) they've been able to do but APC is yet to provide a clear radmap on exactly how they would have done things differently or better. I remember that Obasanjo said it took him over three years to understand the power sector in Nigeria and how the now-defunct NEPA really operated. May be it will take APC one year to understand how the electricity sector really works if they don't start articulating the issues. The only thing i'm seeing here is APC wanting to be in power by any means possible. I've learnt that in business we get what we negotiate for. If developing Nigeria is our business then I think we need to negotiate for real issues. We need to go beyond the rhetoric.

God bless Nigeria!!!

(1) (Reply)

Sheriff Reacts To Arrest Of Boko Haram Impostors / Nigerian Government Buys 77 T72 Tanks To Fight Boko Haram? Pic / Jonathan Lied And Still Lying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.