Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! (18201 Views)

List Of Multinationals In Nigeria That Are Crashing Under Buhari - By Ikengawo / Gej's Defeat: A Huge Blessing In Disguise To The SS/SE / Victory In Disguise For Subsidy : Fg To Seek Alternative Sources To Fund Sure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by duni04(m): 10:57am On Dec 20, 2014
Scrypt:
Nigeria is suffering from Immiserising growth syndrome, a subset of the Dutch disease.

Crude oil came with awesome promises but was welcomed by greedy hands.

Diversification is important, very important, but trust me, it will never match the benefits from a commodity such as crude oil.

Anyway, time to vote out PDP.
The essence of diversification is to reduce the exposure of the foreign exchange burse to shocks and volatility from a single stream of earning, oil. If we had a very diverse burse, we wouldn't be having a run on our reserves now.

2 Likes

Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by teemy(m): 10:58am On Dec 20, 2014
dein77:

Scary, I must say. Very scary. I'm already planning far into the forthcoming year.

The signs have always been there just that the triggering factor was not the oil wells drying up first.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by ogbonoeba: 10:59am On Dec 20, 2014
The price of crude oil, has been lower than $50/barrel in the past, and our leaders didn't do anything. I don't think much will change.

1 Like

Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by benzion72(m): 10:59am On Dec 20, 2014
Falling oil prices does not have any advantage for Nigeria. Sooner or latter Nigeria may not be able to meet her financial obligation which may lead to bankruptcy. When the government could no longer pay salary where will worker get money to pay for agricultural goods. All these are interconnected
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 11:01am On Dec 20, 2014
juman:

You make me laugh. grin grin grin

If the oil price fall to a point those useless "leaders" would just run away. grin grin grin grin

Very useless "leaders".

There's no hiding from this impending calamity. Wherever they run to, their stolen billions of naira will continue to depreciate in value as the dollar conrinue to fall.....There's no escaping it.

1 Like

Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by juman(m): 11:05am On Dec 20, 2014
dein77:

There's no hiding from this impending calamity. Wherever they run to, their stolen billions of naira will continue to depreciate in value as the dollar conrinue to fall.....There's no escaping it.

But they would have ran away from angry masses. grin grin grin

The problem is that both pdp and apc are clueless on this.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 11:08am On Dec 20, 2014
juman:

But they would have ran away from angry masses. grin grin grin

The problem is that both pdp and apc are clueless on this.

That's the problem. Our myopic leaders have led us astray.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 20, 2014
dein77:
Millions of Nigerians are alarmed at the falling oil prices at the international oil market. For many, it's a sign of doom. But for me, and probably for a microscopic few, it's a blessing in disguise.

Our leaders have wasted decades of oil fortunes that would have been massively invested in infrastructures and other sectors of the economy, and now they are falling the accompanying consequences. Isaac Newton's Third Law of Motion comes to mind. It was only a matter of time before Nigeria paid for its profligacy and waste. We hardly learn, as a nation!

We have refused to think beyond oil; our mental faculties took a deadly sabbatical from the moment the blackgold was discovered in commercial quantities. Now, external forces are controlling our destiny as a people.

The falling oil prices will definitely FORCE our leaders to be more proactive in diversifying our economy. Diversifying our economy will definitely give us more options of survival. It's an economic suicide for an entire nation to depend entirely on a commodity so volatile in the International market. If ever we needed to diversify our economy , it's NOW.

The crashing oil prices will also, to a long extent, curb official corruption and impunity. Let's see if the government will seat idly and watch some few eggheads embezzle it's limited resources. A commodity that once sold at over $100 per barrel now goes for a little above $55! Infact the amount of money left to be embezzled is largely reduced.

The crashing oil prices may also force our thieves to pay more attention to our local refineries, as this may yield more profits than just selling the raw crude directly to the international at very low prices.

In every disappointment, there's some blessings. Let's take advantage of this slump and take more proactive steps. As an individual, I've taken some steps to curb financial recklessness as 2015 approaches.

He who fails to plan, has planned to fail.

Happy Xmas in advance, and a prosperous New Year to all Nairalanders.
I do not know if I should laugh or cry at your ignorance, if you have seen the 2015 budget then you will know the government is about to start paying salaries with the whole budget and very little left for the man on the street aka you, me and every other person not in government.

Do not take my word for it, go and read the budget proposal by yourself.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by juman(m): 11:08am On Dec 20, 2014
dein77:

That's the problem. Our myopic leaders have led us astray.

You are right.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 11:09am On Dec 20, 2014
ogbonoeba:
The price of crude oil, has been lower than $50/barrel in the past, and our leaders didn't do anything. I don't think much will change.

Let's hope these thieves will prove you wrong this time. It's just a bet shaaa
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 11:13am On Dec 20, 2014
blink182:
I do not know if I should laugh or cry at your ignorance, if you have seen the 2015 budget then you will know the government is about to start paying salaries with the whole budget and very little left for the man on the street aka you, me and every other person not in government.

And you think I don't know that? You guys just talk anyhow shaaaa.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by ogbonoeba: 11:13am On Dec 20, 2014
Scrypt:
Nigeria is suffering from Immiserising growth syndrome, a subset of the Dutch disease.

Crude oil came with awesome promises but was welcomed by greedy hands.

Diversification is important, very important, but trust me, it will never match the benefits from a commodity such as crude oil.

Anyway, time to vote out PDP.

And when oil stays at $50/barrel, how will naija survive?
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by ibedun: 11:14am On Dec 20, 2014
Bros, where can I find the budget? thanks
blink182:
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 11:16am On Dec 20, 2014
ogbonoeba:

Maybe our leaders will start THINKING! !! There are scores of nations out there without any petroleum resources, and they are doing better than us....
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 11:18am On Dec 20, 2014
blink182:

Laugh not at my ignorance; cry at our leaders' stupidity and myopia.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 11:20am On Dec 20, 2014
ibedun:
Bros, where can I find the budget? thanks

Visit www.budgetoffice.gov.ng.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by onadana: 11:24am On Dec 20, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
dein77:
Millions of Nigerians are alarmed at the falling oil prices at the international oil market. For many, it's a sign of doom. But for me, and probably for a microscopic few, it's a blessing in disguise.

Our leaders have wasted decades of oil fortunes that would have been massively invested in infrastructures and other sectors of the economy, and now they are falling the accompanying consequences. Isaac Newton's Third Law of Motion comes to mind. It was only a matter of time before Nigeria paid for its profligacy and waste. We hardly learn, as a nation!

We have refused to think beyond oil; our mental faculties took a deadly sabbatical from the moment the blackgold was discovered in commercial quantities. Now, external forces are controlling our destiny as a people.

The falling oil prices will definitely FORCE our leaders to be more proactive in diversifying our economy. Diversifying our economy will definitely give us more options of survival. It's an economic suicide for an entire nation to depend entirely on a commodity so volatile in the International market. If ever we needed to diversify our economy , it's NOW.

The crashing oil prices will also, to a long extent, curb official corruption and impunity. Let's see if the government will seat idly and watch some few eggheads embezzle it's limited resources. A commodity that once sold at over $100 per barrel now goes for a little above $55! Infact the amount of money left to be embezzled is largely reduced.

The crashing oil prices may also force our thieves to pay more attention to our local refineries, as this may yield more profits than just selling the raw crude directly to the international at very low prices.

In every disappointment, there's some blessings. Let's take advantage of this slump and take more proactive steps. As an individual, I've taken some steps to curb financial recklessness as 2015 approaches.

Na today...how old am I?.......e don tay wey our leaders dey visionless and clueless angry
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by zemaye: 11:38am On Dec 20, 2014
bushdoc9919:
Ex.

Please....I urge everyone to read the following articles linked below...

Managing the Dutch Disease in Nigeria

Pass the books, hold the oil
Links are quite educative, so true
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Omotall(m): 11:55am On Dec 20, 2014
Abeg wat are they using oil to do ,cos for mars planet here am schooling,it is marsolin we are using grin
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by CSTR: 11:56am On Dec 20, 2014
dhammyg:
yes

AT LEAST THE FG WILL BE FORCED TO PAY ATTENTION TO OTHER SECTORS E.G AGRICULTURE.AND THE NIGER DELTANS CAN DRINK THEIR OILlipsrsealed
ungrateful bittch.
Look at her mouth like "niger delta can drink their oil".
You are not ashamed that your SW is contributing peanuts to the nation.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by abuhson(m): 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2014
Blessing it is just as itz obvious that our government cant see beyond oil in this richly blessed nation.More investment on other sector will definitely lessen the side effects of the fall in oil price globally.Agruculture is a nice subtitute to begin with....Lets also enforce strict osterity measures and not the typical hypocritic avanlanche of pretense over real actionz
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 20, 2014
But oil crashes have been here before. Can the op tell us what he did the last few oil crashes we had? Nigerians are good at knowing what needs to be done. Doing the work is the only thing.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 20, 2014
Wow! well thought out,clap...clap...clap.U just connected with my economic mindset on this country of ours.I can't hesitate to see an actively diversified economy & how the selfish-greedy power brokers & their allies will manage to embezzle cash.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Kay17: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
I often wonder why the Nigerian leaders get all the blame and responsibility, whereas the followers and the voters are absolved from any blame. If the masses to whom the leaders are held accountable to, do not assert their power, then they deserved the leaders they have. It is that simple.

In this economic 'crisis', other problems are bound to follow, but the available solutions are not immediate. Nobody can industrialize overnight, it is almost impossible. For the mean time Nigeria is helpless.

1 Like

Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by God20: 12:37pm On Dec 20, 2014
Derversify or not that is not the issue,the fact is these so called leaders are just bunch of CORRUPT Humans or should I say animals because their action sometimes is not different from an animal.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 12:37pm On Dec 20, 2014
enkay4love:
Wow! well thought out,clap...clap...clap.U just connected with my economic mindset on this country of ours.I can't hesitate to see an actively diversified economy & how the selfish-greedy power brokers & their allies will manage to embezzle cash.

I'm happy many of us are really concerned about the growth and development of this nation.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 20, 2014
The issue here is as long as the evil power brokers of this country keep imposing us with visionless leaders,the country will keep retrogressing.Wondering when the young power brains of this country with sound leadership know-how,will be given a chance to put this country in order.I simply don't know if it is a curse for 21st century brains to rule this country.Na wa!
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Rainmaker69(m): 12:50pm On Dec 20, 2014
dein77:

I pity you and my fellow Nigerians. I hope you know that as oil fortunes dwindle, they'll turn their attention to the money in our pockets aka "IGR". We are about to enjoy an increase in taxes and levies to support this corrupt government. Once this clueless government can't feed off its oil revenues, it will start to feed on its citizens.

2 Likes

Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 12:51pm On Dec 20, 2014
Kay17:
I often wonder why the Nigerian leaders get all the blame and responsibility, whereas the followers and the voters are absolved from any blame. If the masses to whom the leaders are held accountable to, do not assert their power, then they deserved the leaders they have. It is that simple.

In this economic 'crisis', other problems are bound to follow, but the available solutions are not immediate. Nobody can industrialize overnight, it is almost impossible. For the mean time Nigeria is helpless.

A very deep and valid argument. Governance is serious business, and as such shouldn't be solely left for the leaders; the masses have the greater responsibility to hold them accountable.

Your argument has always been my standpoint.

1 Like

Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 20, 2014
ogbonoeba:

Naija will survive better if its impending austertity measures start with the LEGISLATURES allowances.
Re: Crashing Oil Prices; A Blessing In Disguise For Nigeria!!!! by dein77(m): 12:57pm On Dec 20, 2014
Rainmaker69:

I pity you and my fellow Nigerians. I hope you know that as oil fortunes dwindle, they'll turn their attention to the money in our pockets aka "IGR". We are about to enjoy an increase in taxes and levies to support this corrupt government. Once this clueless government can't feed off its oil revenues, it will start to feed on its citizens.

That will be very welcome. Maybe the masses will then have the courage to protest against these thieving leaders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise / "Social Media Is A Very Big Problem For This Country" - Garba Shehu / ‘I Wrote It For History’— Soludo Defends Article Forecasting Obi’s Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.