Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,943 members, 7,821,302 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Problem Starts With The Emirs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Problem Starts With The Emirs (1101 Views)

Most Of Nigeria Problem Starts With Letter "P" See Below / Senate Presidency: Northern Monarch Lobbies Emirs For Saraki / Polls: Northern Emirs Back Jega - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 10:42am On Dec 09, 2008
I have reviewed the whole political thingy in Nigeria & I think the problem emanates from the very top - Sultan and his Emirs.

Until we get rid of these guys who thrive on reaping where they have not sown ,we will continue to have problems.
My solution is this- they either become traditional rulers and shed their religious garb,or become full time religious leaders without official recognition(&patronage) from government.

A country like Kuwait with less than 5% of our population but about half our GDP services only one EMIR,Nigeria on the other hand services one Sultan and at least 9 other EMIRS

This is done directly through government receipts + local govt allocation & indirectly through contracts and top jobs to their cohorts. When will these madness stop? All these does little to prevent the killing of innocent Nigerians ?

So please lets discuss how this can be achieved.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by Bialegend(m): 1:01pm On Dec 09, 2008
Just wait until an Igbo person mounts the presidential throne and see how all these nonsense and others are going to be stopped. They know it very well and that's why they are afraid are vehemently opposed to an Igbo president. If you expect all these rubbish to stop now or during the tenure of a yoruba person, you must wait until thy kingdom come. So, no need discussing how it can be achieved as that will never be possible under the watchful eyes of a hausa or yoruba president, but only an Igbo president.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 1:30pm On Dec 14, 2008
Lets start a movement to stop this Emirates in Nigeria. They siphoning all our money.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by auwal87(m): 2:11pm On Dec 14, 2008
AREWA Forever!

Give us our Federation, and we will peacefully leave you, go and eat yourselves!!!

Witches!!!
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by lucabrasi(m): 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2008
@bialegend
pls read your comments loud to yourself and see how preposterous they sound,what about the igbo s like uba,kalu,ohakim,umeh,the igbo senators and house of reps,e.t.c are they not part of the leadership and are they not corrupt?
when nnamani and the other man were consecutively senate presidents why didnt they challenge obj? just out of curiousity could you name these ibo politicians who are not corrupt and would rule nigeria better than any other tribe?after pat utomi that is
@post
the emirs alone are not the problem,all the traditional rulers are both the various igwes,the obas and the emirs are all thieves who have sold their conscience and morality on the altar of greed from the babangida military regime then comes the politicians from both ibo yoruba and hausa
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by Muza(m): 2:40pm On Dec 14, 2008
lucabrasi:

@bialegend
please read your comments loud to yourself and see how preposterous they sound,what about the igbo s like uba,kalu,ohakim,umeh,the igbo senators and house of reps,e.t.c are they not part of the leadership and are they not corrupt?
when nnamani and the other man were consecutively senate presidents why didnt they challenge obj? just out of curiousity could you name these ibo politicians who are not corrupt and would rule nigeria better than any other tribe?after pat utomi that is
@post
the emirs alone are not the problem,all the traditional rulers are both the various igwes,the obas and the emirs are all thieves who have sold their conscience and morality on the altar of greed from the babangida military regime then comes the politicians from both ibo yoruba and hausa

Frank talk!
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 4:50pm On Dec 14, 2008
But the Emirs understand the politics of patronage more than anyone else.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by diggler(m): 5:26pm On Dec 14, 2008
Emirs & Sultan ain't the Problem.

The issue is that these positions have in recent time been subjected unacceptable levels of government interference. this came about during the years of military rule.

If the independence of this institutions can be regained, They can actually be used as tools to promote good governance & stuff.

The average Almajiri, talakwa & whatever need stuff like this to cling unto.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by earTHMama: 6:26pm On Dec 14, 2008
AREWA Forever!

Give us our Federation, and we will peacefully leave you, go and eat yourselves!!!

Witches!!!

In Jesus name, Amen. Take your goro chewing brothers with you and leave us alone.  Kachi buruku ubanka undecided
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 7:16pm On Dec 14, 2008
Well said dear kiss
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by Muza(m): 10:11pm On Dec 14, 2008
earTHMama:

In Jesus name, Amen. Take your goro chewing brothers with you and leave us alone.  Kachi buruku ubanka undecided
grin cheesy grin lol

Earthmama,
you are an ignorant,frustrated,useless,old,foolish,idiot grin.
We ddnt give our self this power,God gave us,there s nothin u can do about that.

Up till now u havnt told us which state u are from,u must be 1 of those noise making minorities.
Shegiya kawai grin
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by auwal87(m): 11:58pm On Dec 14, 2008
Muza:

Shegiya kawai grin

LoL grin grin grin Maybe she has something to say there, baka ga ma bata iya zagin ba? LoL grin grin grin
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by shotster50(m): 12:09am On Dec 15, 2008
This is  absolute drivel. the emirs do not rule Nigeria. What about the Igwes/Obas/Oonis, etc?? Why single out the emirs. If you have a grouse with them, I am sure there are proper channels to address that rather than coming on here to spew utter garbage.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by Tornadoz(m): 12:11am On Dec 15, 2008
Muza:

grin cheesy grin lol

Earthmama,
you are an ignorant,frustrated,useless,old,foolish,idiot  grin.
We ddnt give our self this power,God gave us,there s nothin u can do about that.

Up till now u havnt told us which state u are from,u must be 1 of those noise making minorities.
Shegiya kawai  grin

I didn't have problem with your post until I saw the sentence in bold. You forget we minorities are the ones feeding your a**and taking care of the opulent lifestyle of your feudal Emirs.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by Nobody: 12:13am On Dec 15, 2008
The emirs are not the problem. Unshackle the nation, let the north fend for itself and see if they dont get rid of their leprous emirs themselves.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by elmagnific(m): 12:20am On Dec 15, 2008
Thye say ignorance is a bliss, wat a pity sad

@ Poster
Pls the emirs are not the problem they are part of it but only a tiny part, i wud have given u a proper response if u has said the "traditional rulers" but singling out emirs shows me you a biased and or ignorant, pls stop making fools of urselves by trying to stir up ethnic hatred angry angry
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by elmagnific(m): 12:24am On Dec 15, 2008
davidylan:

The emirs are not the problem. Unshackle the nation, let the north fend for itself and see if they don't get rid of their leprous emirs themselves.

Thank you my brother! cheesy

the problem is the populace themselves and i am not talking of just people from a specific region, We are all to lazy and stupid to wake up to the fact that our leaders are playing chess with our intelligence, the earlier we wake up and do poeple's power the better for us o!

ONE NIGERIA AS ALWAYS! wink
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 7:45am On Dec 15, 2008
The fact remains that we have three classes of traditional rulers,the Emirs have woven themselves into the fabric of the Federal government. The Igwes,Obas are mainly operating (not rightly so however) on the state level as essentially local champions. I dare anyone to disprove my analysis.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by SaiSaraki(m): 10:07am On Dec 16, 2008
Stop being jealous of the powerful and influential emirs, when the Obas and Igwes are just 'yes sir' people.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by banom(m): 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2008
Sai-Saraki:

Stop being jealous of the powerful and influential emirs, when the Obas and Igwes are just 'yes sir' people.

Realy ?, actualy they are,

Please can any one help me ask any of thse influential and powerful Emirs why the Hausa produce alot of DESTITUDES[/B] in Nigeria, is it part of these gifts that God gave them when he was giving them power or is just destiny. personaly i use to Think that been a [b] DESTITUDE is a very good talent of the Hausas,

I would also like to know if the Hausas equaly have powerful and influential DESTITUDE EMIRS or is it , uhm
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:29pm On Dec 16, 2008
Continue underestimating the Northern elites and they will continue ruling over you!
The United States has some of the dumbest people in the world yet they are still the most powerful nation.

Their leaders are extremely smart, Northern leaders are the smartest in Nigeria. That is how they always manage to win elections. The unite the commoners,
Something your Southern leaders can only dream of doing. Do you think OBJ would have won presidency without the support of the North?
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 8:17am On Dec 17, 2008
True talk. I say we get rid of the Emirs now!!!
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:11pm On Dec 17, 2008
@poster
If u don't knw no silver bullet will take away Emirs in todays contry so-called Nigeria. Those Emirs are the golden hand wrapping what u knw today as Nigeria.
Amalgamation of Southern protectorate nd the northern protectorate is the solid and foundatmental downfall of Arewa.

Go back to history, before the coming of the so-called colonial masters Arewa waz a developed and a civilise region in western Sahara. There waz trading and farming. People in the region are wearing clothe unlike their counter part in south who leave in wild. Ask Your grand father. They ve government, law and order waz existing long before your grandfather start wearing clothe. Thats why rule waz indirect in northern region. You bear me witness if you go school.

whats is happening is the batrayal of your forefathers. We gave them trust and use our Economy to exploid the resources in Niger Delta. And one night u want to quit. For where.
The Emirs are the one have the Army and everythng  if u point ur useless finger the finishe u.

A good news. Very soon we are going to give u independance but i ve heard  Niger Deltans will not join ur nation. Sad story.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by auwal87(m): 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2008
Emirates exist since before Nigeria was created in 1914. Infact, the history of Northern Emirates goes back to the 14th Century. Older than many Emirates that exist now in other African countries.

I have here for you list of all Emirs of Kano from the year 999 to date

Bagauda (ruled 999-1063)
Warisi (ruled 1063-1095)
Gajemasu (ruled 1095-1134)
Nawata (ruled 1134-1136)
Yusa (ruled 1136-1194)
Naguji (ruled 1194-1247)
Gugwa (ruled 1247-1290)
Shekarau (ruled 1290-1307)
Tsamiya (ruled 1307-1343)
Usman Zamnagawa (ruled 1343-1349)
Yaji I (ruled 1349-1385)
Bugaya (ruled 1385-1390)
Kanajeji (ruled 1390-1410)

Umaru (ruled 1410-1421)
Daud (ruled 1421-1438)
Abdullah Burja (ruled 1438-1452)
Dakauta (ruled 1452)
Atuma (ruled 1452)
Yaqub (ruled 1452-1463)
Muhammad Rumfa (ruled 1463-1499)
Abdullah (ruled 1499-1509)

Muhammad Kisoki (ruled 1509-1565)
Yakufu (ruled 1565)
Daud Abasama I (ruled 1565)
Abu-Bakr Kado (ruled 1565-1573)
Muhammad Shashere (ruled 1573-1582)
Muhammad Zaki (ruled 1582-1618)
Muhammad Nazaki (ruled 1618-1623)
Kutumbi (ruled 1623-1648)
al-Hajj (ruled 1648-1649)
Shekarau (ruled 1649-1651)
Muhammad Kukuna (ruled 1651-1652)
Soyaki (ruled 1652)
Muhammad Kukuna (restored) (ruled 1652-1660)
Bawa (ruled 1660-1670)
Dadi (ruled 1670-1703)
Muhammad Sharif (ruled 1703-1731)
Kumbari (ruled 1731-1743)
al-Hajj Kabe (ruled 1743-1753)
Yaji II (ruled 1753-1768)
Baba Zaki (ruled 1768-1776)
Daud Abasama II (ruled 1776-1781)
Muhammad al-Walid (ruled 1781-1805)

Suleiman (emir) (ruled 1805-1819)
Ibrahim (ruled 1819-1846)
Usman I (ruled 1846-1855)
Abdullah (ruled 1855-1883)
Mohammed Bello (ruled 1883-1893)
Mohammed Tukur (ruled 1893-1894)
Aliyu (ruled 1894-1903)

Muhammad Abbas (ruled 1903-1919)
Usman II (ruled 1919-1926)
Abdullah Bayero (ruled 1926-1953)
Muhammad Sanusi (ruled 1954-1963)

Muhammad Inuwa (ruled 1963)
Ado Bayero (ruled 1963-current)
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 5:52pm On Dec 17, 2008
So? undecided

Is that why he should get a fixed percentage of Nigeria's GDP?

He should have invested all the money to make Kano,a tourist haven like Dubai,Abu Dhabi,Kuwait & other muslim city-states, . . . . . . but no . . . . . . every Friday,non-indigenes run for cover. . . . I say shame on him & the other Emirs tongue
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:18am On Dec 18, 2008
Thanks Auwalu
You are a historian

@poster
Give us the history of ur region b4 and after the so called colonial Yan Iska. Then we would justify if emires and egwes are to be scrap.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by udezue(m): 5:12am On Dec 18, 2008
If Obas, Igwes, Obis, Ezes and ofcourse Emirs are the issue then what about the minorities from the Middlebelt to Nigerdelta areas. BULLSHIT!!! enough of this stupid idea that somehow the minorities are holier than thou. Gowon was not Hausa/Igbo/Yoruba, he is a Tiv yet he managed to destroy Nigeria and commit genocides. Danjuma was neither a majority yet he committed genocide. Saro Wiwa was neither a majority yet he stole houses in PH owned by Igbos in the name of abandoned property. The cross-dressing governor of Bayelsa is Ijaw yet he damn well milked his own state. Give me a break. Where are their own traditional leaders?

Lets be real. If you put a Tiv man or Ijaw man in the same position of power there is no guarantee that he will be better. Being a minority in any country does not make u holier and free of corruption in any country. When Ijaw were in control of Rivers State things were not rosy in Rivers. In Bayelsa it still ain't rosy. Corruption is in every ethnic group Igbos, Efiks, Yorubas, Hausas, Ijaw, Berom but by the end of the day it all varies. One group can be worse than the other and can cause more problems for others. Anyways the gworo eating cattle herders gotta go and it will only happen when we the younger generation in the South and Middle belt change our mentality towards them. (which yes I'm glad is happening) The idea that some gworo eating disease poverty stricken Hausa- Fulani is too powerful to check is rubbish. U only make em more powerful when u give em the chance to do as they like. If people like Azikiwe, Awolowo, etc were not so quick to appease the North whenever they misbehaved before Independence we won't be having these problems. To me the Hausa man is like a spoilt little brat who thinks he is entitled to any and everything. Until we let em know that you have to earn it we will have no peace.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 5:21am On Dec 18, 2008
udezue:

If Obas, Igwes, Obis, Ezes and ofcourse Emirs are the issue then what about the minorities from the Middlebelt to Nigerdelta areas. BULLSHIT!!! enough of this stupid idea that somehow the minorities are holier than thou. Gowon was not Hausa/Igbo/Yoruba, he is a Tiv yet he managed to destroy Nigeria and commit genocides. Danjuma was neither a majority yet he committed genocide. Saro Wiwa was neither a majority yet he stole houses in PH owned by Igbos in the name of abandoned property. The cross-dressing governor of Bayelsa is Ijaw yet he damn well milked his own state. Give me a break. Where are their own traditional leaders?

Lets be real. If you put a Tiv man or Ijaw man in the same position of power there is no guarantee that he will be better. Being a minority in any country does not make u holier and free of corruption in any country. When Ijaw were in control of Rivers State things were not rosy in Rivers. In Bayelsa it still ain't rosy. Corruption is in every ethnic group Igbos, Efiks, Yorubas, Hausas, Ijaw, Berom but by the end of the day it all varies. One group can be worse than the other and can cause more problems for others.  Anyways the gworo eating cattle herders gotta go and it will only happen when we the younger generation in the South and Middle belt change our mentality towards them. (which yes I'm glad is happening) The idea that some gworo eating disease poverty stricken Hausa- Fulani is too powerful to check is rubbish. U only make em more powerful when u give em the chance to do as they like. If people like Azikiwe, Awolowo, etc were not so quick to appease the North whenever they misbehaved before Independence we won't be having these problems. To me the Hausa man is like a spoilt little brat who thinks he is entitled to any and everything. Until we let em know that you have to earn it we will have no peace.
Pally,
De try read up your history before posting ,ok? Its widely known that Gowon is Angas(Plateau State) and not Tiv(Benue).

Nobody's talking about majority or minority here,just focus on the Emirs,ok?

I certainly agree with your 'gworo chewing' assrtions tho' cheesy cheesy
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by udezue(m): 5:38am On Dec 18, 2008
Oh well thanx for the correction I've always thought Gowon was a Tiv from childhood sef.

Anyways I mentioned the minorities coz I noticed those opposed to the idea that Emirs are the issue zeroed in on Igbos and Yorubas + Hausa without remembering that okay they are not the only group in Naija. I've also noticed for quite some time that journalists from the minority groups always blame the problems of Nigeria on the 3 groups without remembering that they themselves have also been in power plenty times and haven't acted any better than the majorities except ofcourse our gworo eaters.
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 10:09am On Dec 19, 2008
Altho' i don't want to loose focus on the Emirs,the fact remains that the 'majority' account for more that 60% of Nigeria's population and two-thrids of the Geo-political arrangement.

I'll appreciate suggestions on how we can rid ourselves of these leeches !
Re: Problem Starts With The Emirs by congoshine(m): 10:40pm On Dec 27, 2008

Abu-Maryam:

@poster
If u don't knw no silver bullet will take away Emirs in todays contry so-called Nigeria. Those Emirs are the golden hand wrapping what u knw today as Nigeria.
Amalgamation of Southern protectorate nd the northern protectorate is the solid and foundatmental downfall of Arewa.

Go back to history, before the coming of the so-called colonial masters Arewa waz a developed and a civilise region in western Sahara. There waz trading and farming. People in the region are wearing clothe unlike their counter part in south who leave in wild. Ask Your grand father. They ve government, law and order waz existing long before your grandfather start wearing clothe. Thats why rule waz indirect in northern region. You bear me witness if you go school.

whats is happening is the batrayal of your forefathers. We gave them trust and use our Economy to exploid the resources in Niger Delta. And one night u want to quit. For where.
The Emirs are the one have the Army and everythng  if u point ur useless finger the finishe u.

A good news. Very soon we are going to give u independance but i ve heard  Niger Deltans will not join ur nation. Sad story.

Abu-Maryam,how is Maryam? I'm happy you live in an Islamic country-Saudi,I just hope you're not one of the Emir's children ! grin grin

You must have visited other Muslim countries in that region I am sure.

We both agree on one thing,which is that the Emirs wield enormous power,why is it then I ask you the Northern region is nothing compared to where you are right now?

They control government,army etc. . . .  .to what effect?

So the earlier we relegate them to history or turn them to tourist artifacts,the better. & don't give us that crap that the amalgamation hindered the North. . . puhleeeze !

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Politics Mired In Corruption And Violence / Curses Upon Curses As Passengers, Motorists Get Stranded At Ore / Nigeria Disburses $4.7 Bln To Govt, Plans Wealth Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.