Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,022 members, 7,956,791 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:01 PM

What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please (1168 Views)

The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / See What Droppng Your Car At Some Carwash Can Cause You - Photos / Who Can Explain This Phenomenon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by nurey(m): 8:08am On Dec 21, 2014
Anytime I park my car and the wheel is turned to the extreme end, when I later start it with the steering still at the extreme ends, the car will rough idle and if no gas is given, the engine will shot off.

The car just doesn't like to be started with the steering at the extreme ends. Toyota sienna 2000 is the culprit.
Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by AutosBay(m): 8:55am On Dec 21, 2014
Have you disconnected the battery recently? I would recommend the idle relearn procedure first if this does not work you probably need to replace the IAC (idle air control motor) as these motors have a high failure rate on the sienna,Camry and the Lexus es300! Here is the relearn procedure as follows;1. Clean the throttle body and then do the idle relearn procedure on the vehicle.

2. Unhook the battery cables and touch them together for 5-10 min. Then connect the battery cables and push the throttle plates closed completely. While holding the throttle plates closed, have a helper turn the ignition switch to the on position. Allow the throttle plates to move when the key is turned on. Reinstall the intake air boot to the throttle body and then start the vehicle. Allow the vehicle to idle for a few minutes and then test drive the vehicle to check for correct idle speed. Oh for your other question It is important to have have a clean throttle body because over a period of time carbon and soot build up on the backside of the throttle plate when the vehicle is new the throttle body is calibrated to bypass a certain amount of air! and when dirty the factory air bypass is thrown off affecting idle speed and quality!

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100820211246AAycDGo

1 Like

Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by baconline(m): 12:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
the power steering pump is putting too much of demand on the engine,either your steering system is faulty or your engine power is
Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by diportivo: 5:12pm On Dec 21, 2014
AutosBay:
Have you disconnected the battery recently? I would recommend the idle relearn procedure first if this does not work you probably need to replace the IAC (idle air control motor) as these motors have a high failure rate on the sienna,Camry and the Lexus es300! Here is the relearn procedure as follows;1. Clean the throttle body and then do the idle relearn procedure on the vehicle.

2. Unhook the battery cables and touch them together for 5-10 min. Then connect the battery cables and push the throttle plates closed completely. While holding the throttle plates closed, have a helper turn the ignition switch to the on position. Allow the throttle plates to move when the key is turned on. Reinstall the intake air boot to the throttle body and then start the vehicle. Allow the vehicle to idle for a few minutes and then test drive the vehicle to check for correct idle speed. Oh for your other question It is important to have have a clean throttle body because over a period of time carbon and soot build up on the backside of the throttle plate when the vehicle is new the throttle body is calibrated to bypass a certain amount of air! and when dirty the factory air bypass is thrown off affecting idle speed and quality!

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100820211246AAycDGo
all of dis story cos of power steering? undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by DECOtech(m): 3:16am On Dec 25, 2014
Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by DECOtech(m): 3:19am On Dec 25, 2014
diportivo:
all of dis story cos of power steering? undecided

Though he made somewhat a good point here today but before going tru all that procedure,

1. Check to see if your power steering pump pulley turns freely. (Take off the belt and spin the pulley with your hand)

2. Check your power steering fluid level.

And pls Nurey, let us know the outcome of your examination.
Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by nurey(m): 7:24am On Dec 25, 2014
DECOtech:

Though he made somewhat a good point here today but before going tru all that procedure,

1. Check to see if your power steering pump pulley turns freely. (Take off the belt and spin the pulley with your hand)

2. Check your power steering fluid level.

And pls Nurey, let us know the outcome of your examination.

I will but currently I am still testing it. I said it happens only once in a while, it has never happened in traffic only when I park I can only recall thrice since I started driving the car but my fluid is ok doesn't shorten and no leak, the engine doesn't make any funny sound so I doubt if lack of engine power is the cause, also this morning I moved it toboth extreme ends, it just make a weeee sound if the steering is held down to the extreme end but if left, the car idles normally.
Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by DECOtech(m): 9:58am On Dec 25, 2014
nurey:

I will but currently I am still testing it. I said it happens only once in a while, it has never happened in traffic only when I park I can only recall thrice since I started driving the car but my fluid is ok doesn't shorten and no leak, the engine doesn't make any funny sound so I doubt if lack of engine power is the cause, also this morning I moved it toboth extreme ends, it just make a weeee sound if the steering is held down to the extreme end but if left, the car idles normally.

Then, there isn't an issue with your car. Just stop starting your car with the steering in that position cos it adds unnecessary load to your engine at start-up point.
Re: What Is The Cause Of This Phenomenon Please by nurey(m): 11:52am On Dec 26, 2014
DECOtech:

Then, there isn't an issue with your car. Just stop starting your car with the steering in that position cos it adds unnecessary load to your engine at start-up point.

I think you are right, I always check the engine once a week with ac on no over heating, no irregular sound and no known vibration. Also while on, it idles normally when the steering is steered to the. Exreme ends I will caution parking with steering left at the extreme ends.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Advisable To Order A Car On Http://www.monsterexport.uk / Nail In A Car Tire? These Are What To Do / EOD Recommended Air Conditioning Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.