Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Car Accident Prevention Tips - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Accident Prevention Tips (1982 Views)

Ghastly Car Accident In Makurdi. Benue State Capital. Photos / 4 Friends Killed In Ikotun Lagos Car Accident While Coming From Night Club[photo / Car Accident At Mushin, Lagos (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Accident Prevention Tips by milestonejnr(m): 5:18am On Dec 22, 2014
Car accident has never been a good thing. Virtually, everyone will go extra mile in order to avoid it at all cost. I thought it wise to share this piece of article in order to let you know what you should know in order to make a smooth ride. I hope it goes a long way.

1. Try and nurture the attitude of carrying out some routine checks most especially the first time you want to drive the car any day. Ensure you properly check the water level in the radiator, tire pressure, brake fluid level, the engine oil level- this is important to avoid the knocking of the car engine. All these will go a long way in curbing the potential risks it might put you when mishandled.
2. Before driving out, ensure that the warning lights on the dashboard are off such as the warning light for the airbag, engine oil, battery etc.
3. Try to avoid all forms of distraction that may cause you to lose concentration on your driving. These distractions may come from increasing the volume of your stereo to the level of sounds in a disco party. When behind the wheels, avoid making or receiving calls as well as text messaging but in case of an emergency, it is best you pull over and then continue driving whenever you are through.
4. Always fasten your seat belt before moving your car. Seat belts reduce the risk of death if an accident occurs by reducing the force of impact such as hitting the head on the dashboard when the car is stopped abruptly. It also ensures that the occupants are positioned correctly for the effectiveness of the airbag.
5. Drive at a speed you are sure you can control in case anything pops up. It is wiser to crawl like a snail of which you can easily control (you will reach your destination) than to drive at a breakneck speed that you wouldn't be able to control (you will either end up in a hospital or in a morgue). This is for the sake of saving your dear life, so the choice is yours to make.
6. Give enough distance when following a car. Avoid following a car bumper to bumper in order to avoid any form of bashing. When you follow a car with such a close gap, you won't be able to have a clear view of the road thereby limiting what you see (like deadly portholes and the likes). This can also prevent the issue of running into other people’s car when they abruptly stop.
7. Hoot before you overtake in order to let the driver you want to overtake know about your intent. Sometimes, a good driver you want to overtake will give you signals like: you shouldn't overtake now; the road ahead is bad; a car is coming etc. Also avoid overtaking on a bending especially sharp one. This has claimed many lives.
8. Avoid abrupt swerving when on high speed. Sometimes, you have to make up your mind to ride through a rough side of road than making a sharp swerve to the better side of the road. This can cause loss of balance which may lead to loss of control of the car. This particularly can cause a car to somersault. It is better you don’t dodge it and go to mechanic for your suspension repair than dodge it and be in a hospital for your body repair.
9. Don’t involve yourself in any form of dangerous games while driving, like “catch me if you can” with you friends or peers or whoever. This has taken the lives of many youths. Don’t be a victim
10. The last but not the least is to obey the traffic laws. I don’t think they are stupid in placing those rules.

source: http://ogbunyamaemeka..com/2014/11/car-accident-prevention_18.html

6 Likes

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by ogawisdom(m): 6:41am On Dec 22, 2014
Nice one op this shld b on d fp already mod

11. Make sure ur headlight is bright enough for night driving

12. Ensure ur wiper is okay for rain

13. Learn to horn n flash ur light at d other driver to call his attention to sth wrong he is doin

14. Stop kissing n romancing ur wife or girlfrnd while driving haba wait until u r off d wheels nw tongue na only u love his gf or wife

15. Dnt drink or smoke and drive biko angry

16. Dnt fight ur passeger or trade insults with him or her while driving, it ll lead to driver's loss of concentrate n hence accident

17. Stop looking at those girls walking on d road side with massive ikebe, they ll kill u b4 u kw it grin

18. Ensure ur side and rear mirrors r very ok and properly adjusted b4 driving

19. Pray to GOD to remove blood suckin demons on d road for u

6 Likes

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by lalasticlala(m): 7:03am On Dec 22, 2014
milestonejnr:
Car accident has never been a good thing. Virtually, everyone will go extra mile in order to avoid it at all cost. I thought it wise to share this piece of article in order to let you know what you should know in order to make a smooth ride. I hope it goes a long way.

1. Try and nurture the attitude of carrying out some routine checks most especially the first time you want to drive the car any day. Ensure you properly check the water level in the radiator, tire pressure, brake fluid level, the engine oil level- this is important to avoid the knocking of the car engine. All these will go a long way in curbing the potential risks it might put you when mishandled.
2. Before you start the engine, ensure that the warning lights on the dashboard are off such as the warning light for the airbag, engine oil, battery etc.
3. Try to avoid all forms of distraction that may cause you to lose concentration on your driving. These distractions may come from increasing the volume of your stereo to the level of sounds in a disco party. When behind the wheels, avoid making or receiving calls as well as text messaging but in case of an emergency, it is best you pull over and then continue driving whenever you are through.
4. Always fasten your seat belt before moving your car. Seat belts reduce the risk of death if an accident occurs by reducing the force of impact such as hitting the head on the dashboard when the car is stopped abruptly. It also ensures that the occupants are positioned correctly for the effectiveness of the airbag.
5. Drive at a speed you are sure you can control in case anything pops up. It is wiser to crawl like a snail of which you can easily control (you will reach your destination) than to drive at a breakneck speed that you wouldn't be able to control (you will either end up in a hospital or in a morgue). This is for the sake of saving your dear life, so the choice is yours to make.
6. Give enough distance when following a car. Avoid following a car bumper to bumper in order to avoid any form of bashing. When you follow a car with such a close gap, you won't be able to have a clear view of the road thereby limiting what you see (like deadly portholes and the likes). This can also prevent the issue of running into other people’s car when they abruptly stop.
7. Hoot before you overtake in order to let the driver you want to overtake know about your intent. Sometimes, a good driver you want to overtake will give you signals like: you shouldn't overtake now; the road ahead is bad; a car is coming etc. Also avoid overtaking on a bending especially sharp one. This has claimed many lives.
8. Avoid abrupt swerving when on high speed. Sometimes, you have to make up your mind to ride through a rough side of road than making a sharp swerve to the better side of the road. This can cause loss of balance which may lead to loss of control of the car. This particularly can cause a car to somersault. It is better you don’t dodge it and go to mechanic for your suspension repair than dodge it and be in a hospital for your body repair.
9. Don’t involve yourself in any form of dangerous games while driving, like “catch me if you can” with you friends or peers or whoever. This has taken the lives of many youths. Don’t be a victim
10. The last but not the least is to obey the traffic laws. I don’t think they are stupid in placing those rules.

source: http:///mkb5255

your source link is wrong. correct it

1 Like

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:41am On Dec 22, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 22, 2014
milestonejnr:
2. Before you start the engine, ensure that the warning lights on the dashboard are off such as the warning light for the airbag, engine oil, battery etc.

Really? How many vehicle systems will extinguish oil pressure and battery warning lamps, if the ignition is on, BUT the engine isn't running?

In this state, there'll be no oil pressure, and no battery charge output from the alternator.

It pays to know exactly how different vehicle systems work, before posting misleading information.

2 Likes

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by uboma(m): 9:37am On Dec 22, 2014

1 Like

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by milestonejnr(m): 10:41am On Dec 22, 2014
@Siena... my bad. Thank you for that correction; I'm grateful.
Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by milestonejnr(m): 5:25am On Jan 09, 2015
lalasticlala I have corrected the wrong link.
Thank you
Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by lonelydora: 5:30am On Jan 09, 2015
That number 2 though. Number 19 says it all.
Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by milestonejnr(m): 5:39am On Jan 09, 2015
lonelydora:
That number 2 though. Number 19 says it all.

lol... pray and go carry a car without brake pads and hit the highway
Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by Orikinla(m): 7:45pm On May 19, 2015
10 Most Dangerous Smartphone Activities People Do While Driving
Text2 (61%)
Email2 (33%)
Surf the net (28%)
Facebook3 (27%)
Snap a selfie/photo (17%)
Twitter3 (14%)
Instagram3 (14%)
Shoot a video (12%)
Snapchat3 (11%)
Video chat (10%)

Other unsettling findings include the following on
http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/36itle/10_most_dangerous_smartphone_activities_people_do/

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:11pm On May 19, 2015
Here are some rules to consider, I like many of the tips above

1. SLOW DOWN in the rain.

I witnessed no less than 15 accidents as a result of hydroplaning on the highways while driving between Abuja and Asaba two weeks ago, only 4 of those involved 2 vehicles, the rest where singular incidents that were as a result of hydroplaning.

Vehicles slid off the road and got stuck in the mud; other vehicles slid off the road and found themselves in the bush; yet other vehicles crashed into the road barrier.

Driving an empty vehicle in the rain and driving a fully loaded vehicle in the rain is as different as the day and night.

If you can drive long distance in the rain without issues, then you are in a very different league as a driver

2. SLOW DOWN WHEN FACED WITH ONCOMING TRAFFIC
If you know that trucks have changed the rules of the road like they do between the Asaba and Benin, then slow down. For those that do not know what I mean, those trucks ignore the rules of the expressway and drive on both sides of the express so that drivers have to deal with oncoming traffic.

3. SLEEP WELL BEFORE LONG TRIPS
Nothing beats a well rested mind to tackle the dangers of the road and on the road

1 Like

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by seguntravels009(m): 3:32pm On Jan 02, 2023
Helpful tips
Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by buygala(m): 5:26pm On Jan 02, 2023
milestonejnr:

2. Before driving out, ensure that the warning lights on the dashboard are off such as the warning light for the airbag, engine oil, battery etc.

source: http://ogbunyamaemeka..com/2014/11/car-accident-prevention_18.html

If you wish to live long, always be present and very attentive when a Nigerian mechanic is fixing your vehicle, especially anything in the suspension ... A Car suspension and tires are the only things that connects the vehicle to the road.. Any mistake while fixing anything there can be fatal.. And the Mechanic won't be there when all hell breaks loose simply because he neglected to bolt for example a ball-joint or tyre properly..

These people are almost always in a hurry, sometimes forgetting to bolt some parts properly, and more terribly, entirely forget to fix entire parts..sometimes they tell their apprentices to fix stuff in the vehicle and do not come back to double-check what those apprentices have done.. And trust me, those apprentices are almost very nonchalant at their job, because after all na Oga go collect the work moni grin....

Apart from their reckless billing, this is the major reason I never patronise these posh car shops where they don't allow clients watch the fixing of their vehicles.. A car is capable of killing me because of one small mistake made by a mechanic, so I believe I should be there all-eyes watching while my vehicle is being fixed, to ensure and confirm that mechanic doesn't because he is in a hurry or even forgetful, endanger my life.

I can't count how many times I have had to point to bolts and pieces of my car that a mechanic left on the ground after fixing my car..Most times for mechanics who are uncomfortable with this my attitude, I pay them extra for viewing access.. I feel far safer knowing that I saw with my two eyes all parts, bolts and nuts fixed properly...

For me even if a Nigerian Mech speaks Queen English with an Irish Accent, has all automotive tech gadgets, but he doesn't allow me sit and watch korokoro while he fixes my vehicle, make e forget am.. At this stage in my life, it will be very sad for my life to be cut short because one fellow failed to bolt one nut properly, and I wasn't there to point it out.

In 1st world countries, mechs are much more sane and regulated, so I can afford to be a bit lax over there..i have physically witnessed the quality of auto service over there, and it's quite comforting.

But for naija, I must watch am like feem while mecho dey fix my moto to avoid "had I known".

1 Like

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by Dtruthspeaker: 8:52pm On Jan 02, 2023
Tyres, tyres, tyres!

The balloon called tyres!

Don't travel with vulcanizers 40psi or more over inflated tyres.

The tyres inflate as you travel long whether your tyres are new or old so if over inflated they will burst and gboa your car is ready to somersault.
Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by Dtruthspeaker: 8:55pm On Jan 02, 2023
buygala:

If you wish to live long, always be present and very attentive when a Nigerian mechanic is fixing your vehicle, especially anything in the suspension ... A Car suspension and tires are the only things that connects the vehicle to the road.. Any mistake while fixing anything there can be fatal.. And the Mechanic won't be there when all hell breaks loose simply because he neglected to bolt for example a ball-joint or tyre properly..

A faulty car always shows its faults through shakes and rattles and noises so this accident coming out of here is due to the I don't care of the owner.
Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by buygala(m): 9:12pm On Jan 02, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

A faulty car always shows its faults through shakes and rattles and noises so this accident coming out of here is due to the I don't care of the owner.

So if a mechanic mistakenly doesn't clip a brake hose in the proper place, thereby leading to its rubbing against a suspension part to the point where it bursts open during motion, please what sound will the rubber brake hose be making before it collapses?

Or please what sound will an insufficiently bolted ball-joint make as it unscrews itself little by little until it unbolts itself during motion?

If you don't understand some stuff, please seek clarification before jumping in.

You dey talk of I don't care attitude where I dey talk about mechanics failing to do their job properly having ghastly consequences.. Abi as I have done my diligence by taking car to mechanic, and mechanic finish work, make I reach my house begin dismantle the moto to check wein mecho do?

1 Like

Re: Car Accident Prevention Tips by Dtruthspeaker: 8:03am On Jan 03, 2023
buygala:

So if a mechanic mistakenly doesn't clip a brake hose in the proper place, thereby leading to its rubbing against a suspension part to the point where it bursts open during motion, please what sound will the rubber brake hose be making before it collapses?

Or please what sound will an insufficiently bolted ball-joint make as it unscrews itself little by little until it unbolts itself during motion?

See a driver would notice that his brake is not working properly the first time he presses it, but it would work a little in a way that lets him know that his brake is leaking especially as his brake warning light would also light up.

Also there are more than one bolts in there to hold it for a time which when one comes loose, the steering too would sway and tell you something is wrong.

buygala:

Abi as I have done my diligence by taking car to mechanic, and mechanic finish work, make I reach my house begin dismantle the moto to check wein mecho do?

grin dat na why you get go to mechanic na. Hihn no dey make day kain mistake like dat and besides you still check d car before you pay am na. cheesy

But I know quarrel. I jus won make people dey sensitive to dia motor because usually when some life threatening things dey wrong with d motor dem fit know if dem dey sensitive.

(1) (Reply)

Advise On Purchase Of Skoda Felicia 1998 Model Car For 150k / My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First / Problem With Transmission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.