Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,793 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack (33609 Views)

11 Everyday Activities That Are Illegal In North Korea. / BREAKING NEWS: USA Takes Down North Korea' S Internet / North Korea Was NOT Behind The Sony Hack - Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Wallie(m): 2:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
EMANY01:

There are two main weapon systems suits that (mostly western forces) try to never use unless its fir real war and against a peer state [read China,Russia]:

Cyber war tools (stuxnet,major bandwidth hacks,communication nodes and operating systems).

Electronic warfare tools (radar systems,sensor disruption,anti disruptive systems[resilient system ]anti-jamming technologies like frequency hopping and DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum).

Not a matter of movies, even when this systems are built they try to test them as far away from human/urban areas as much as possible.Places like china lake and far up the Arctic or Antarctica places it will be hard to have spy's come looking .

The U.S. Air Force, has taken the lead in developing electronic tools for attacking and defending satellite communications, he satellites themselves, and has been training people to use these techniques. This effort involves figuring out new, or improved, ways to jam satellites. Then you keep that stuff secret, in case potential enemies have not figured this out themselves. Next, you work on ways to defeat the weapons developed. Most of this is playing around with the signals themselves. You can un-jam a jamming signal with another signal. However, a lot of trial and error is required and you want to get that done way in advance of any actual war. When you do have to use this stuff for real, you have to expect that the enemy may well have come up with some angle you missed. Thus, there will be some rapid improvisation, and you will have more time and resources for this if you have worked out ahead of time the details of disasters you have already anticipated. No one is releasing much information about this, for obvious reasons. There won't be much discussion from any government, unless there is a terrorist attack using these techniques.

http://strategypage.com/htmw/htiw/articles/20130703.aspx

http://strategypage.com/htmw/htiw/articles/20110803.aspx

http://strategypage.com/htmw/htecm/articles/20140509.aspx

You are mostly correct but you fail to consider that there are various levels of secret weapons. The weapon you would use against China, Russia, or Iran is different from the one you would use against NK, Venezuela, or some other 3rd world country. Whatever was done to NK is not that sophisticated in the grand scheme of things as it seemed to be related to shutting down the power needed for their routers.
There is ALWAYS MAJOR top secret weapons being developed and improved in response to EVERY single country's capability. Take a look at Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), whose motto is "Creating and Preventing Strategic Surprise."

http://www.darpa.mil/default.aspx

Currently, if you have unique knowledge/idea for a product or service that relates to cyber security, you'll easily get funding by the private sector and/or the government to develop it.

I would even go a step further; if you want to become the next billionaire, develop a solution for corporations that prevents hacking.

EDIT: By the way, you can easily jam satellites by just swamping the bandwidth with very loud "noise." It is even better to send confusing info or wrong info by pretending to be the satellite or the person commanding the satellite.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by killjoy(m): 2:59pm On Dec 23, 2014
EMANY01:

There are two main weapon systems suits that (mostly western forces) try to never use unless its fir real war and against a peer state [read China,Russia]:

Cyber war tools (stuxnet,major bandwidth hacks,communication nodes and operating systems).

Electronic warfare tools (radar systems,sensor disruption,anti disruptive systems[resilient system ]anti-jamming technologies like frequency hopping and DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum).

Not a matter of movies, even when this systems are built they try to test them as far away from human/urban areas as much as possible.Places like china lake and far up the Arctic or Antarctica places it will be hard to have spy's come looking .

The U.S. Air Force, has taken the lead in developing electronic tools for attacking and defending satellite communications, he satellites themselves, and has been training people to use these techniques. This effort involves figuring out new, or improved, ways to jam satellites. Then you keep that stuff secret, in case potential enemies have not figured this out themselves. Next, you work on ways to defeat the weapons developed. Most of this is playing around with the signals themselves. You can un-jam a jamming signal with another signal. However, a lot of trial and error is required and you want to get that done way in advance of any actual war. When you do have to use this stuff for real, you have to expect that the enemy may well have come up with some angle you missed. Thus, there will be some rapid improvisation, and you will have more time and resources for this if you have worked out ahead of time the details of disasters you have already anticipated. No one is releasing much information about this, for obvious reasons. There won't be much discussion from any government, unless there is a terrorist attack using these techniques.

http://strategypage.com/htmw/htiw/articles/20130703.aspx

http://strategypage.com/htmw/htiw/articles/20110803.aspx

http://strategypage.com/htmw/htecm/articles/20140509.aspx

guy wen i start writing script on modern warfare i may need ur help with some these
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:14pm On Dec 23, 2014
DonaldGenes:
Internet back on North Korea as we typed type
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by XketchDesigns(m): 3:23pm On Dec 23, 2014
chinziaski:

He didn't support sony, thanks
didn't he say they shouldn't have cancelled the movie showing in theaters? Is that not support? Abegi!!!
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2014
XketchDesigns:

didn't he say they shouldn't have cancelled the movie showing in theaters? Is that not support? Abegi!!!
Yes, that's not supporting sony. That was an act of cowardice from sony, so he was angry with the ceo of sony. He later rebuked the ceo of the way he presented the movie. The ceo of sony wasn't happy with obama. He was interviewed yesterday, I watched the whole interview. He felt bad that obama didn't stand by him.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by eduamadim: 4:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
Make them no mumu come nigeria, chatting and browsing d make me o, before I bomb them
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Centrifude(m): 4:49pm On Dec 23, 2014
I Honestly think the Americans the rest of the west and East are a major bunch of C.UNTS.

I just hope that they all destroy each other while Africa hides in the shadows and grows stronger and gets better.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by wildikeman(m): 4:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
XketchDesigns:
American is a stupeed country! I mean, why make a move about assassinating the president of another country? Using his real name and the real name of the country? I mean on his own soil? Is there any greater insult than this?

Imagine, a movie made about killing obama and ridiculing him to the whole world!? Why is is when they make movies about American presidents they never use their real names? And at the end of the day, the president always is some sort of a hero, kills the bad guys and never dies even with all the odds stacked against him!

I can name 20 movies at d top of my head about American presidents attached but the manage to kill the bad guys and lived!

And for the fact that obama was behind Sony is just disgusting. Hypocracy at its highest. The are bullies and nothin more!
didn't they do a movie stating Nigerians as Alien eating Cannibals Look at the movie na district 16 or 13 I don't know...even the Russians were made into terrorists and their presido killed in movies...the mudafuka should calm down and make his country good for his citizens jare...abi has he forgotten the Korean war of the 1950s.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by wildikeman(m): 4:57pm On Dec 23, 2014
I smell a set up...if they eventually release dis movie...OP said $200k dolls e go pass oo...but wait oo...North Korea had internet. Na wa ooo like seriously. Let dat bloody basketballer go and sing d birthday song for him again na...
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 23, 2014
musicwriter:
The real ruler of the world is science and technology. Think of it this way:
Science is like the mind and technology the body. If you have no mind and body as a person you're dead!. Likewise, a country without scientific and technological innovation cannot develop.

America is only a world power because they're immersed in science. China have embraced science and is now a world power. The little power North Korea pulls is because they have a good grasp of science. Iran have a good grasp of science as well and is growing. Ever wondered why the west is in confrontation with both Iran and North Korea?. The real reason is because they're threatened these countries have a good grasp of science. They don't want them to be able to build for example; a BIG bomb (technology) to fight back should there be war against them. That's the truth.

Similarly, the west do not want Africa to have discovery of home grown science. The west prefers we remain dependent and blind and therefore depend on them for all our needs. But, until we embrace science, Africa is dead. Do you know if they want they will switch off our entire continent internet connection?. Some of us have been preaching science with any little opportunity and until this's done Africa cannot develop.

Jesus..conspiracy theorists again...una no dey tire
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by bobkezel(m): 6:33pm On Dec 23, 2014
NK internet was down for 9hrs, but they have restored it back.

1 Like

Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Pangea: 7:22pm On Dec 23, 2014
The scene outside the Whitehouse after the North Korea Internet went dark grin

3 Likes

Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Chuksgeo: 7:25pm On Dec 23, 2014
I think the end of this family based dictatorship is coming to an end in N.K, they can't escape it this time. In Adele's voice" this is the end. . ."
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Weah96: 7:29pm On Dec 23, 2014
Centrifude:
I Honestly think the Americans the rest of the west and East are a major bunch of C.UNTS.

I just hope that they all destroy each other while Africa hides in the shadows and grows stronger and gets better.

Africa has never been out of the shadows in my lifetime.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by KMB: 7:30pm On Dec 23, 2014
May the best man win....i pray not at our expense.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Weah96: 7:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
That boy in North Korea is on some psychoactive prescription medication. He recently murdered his uncle, killed ALL of the man's relatives, and then made the AUNTIE, his father's sister, a high ranking official in the government.

He's doing his thing.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by anyaekekehinde(m): 7:42pm On Dec 23, 2014
kelechiMarie:
Misleading topic.
It's funny how Nigerians idolise america even more than their own country
I'm not a fan of NK but i'm a bit sick and tired of america meddling in d affairs of other SOVEREIGN nations!They shove democracy down our throats,brainwash us et al.They created d chaos in d middle east and now d citizens are left to suffer.
Anyway,let d fight be restricted to science and tech cause if they go nuclear,other countries will sufferkisskiss

so what system of government should we have adopted.. monarchy or military.. let me hear your argument..since you said they shove democracy down our throats
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Ibrahimolaitan(m): 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2014
what i just no is that they can't try it with china.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by godsgift233: 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2014
The country is at the center of a
confrontation with the United States
over the hacking of Sony Pictures, but
several U.S. officials said the U.S.
government was not involved in any
cyber action against Pyongyang (korea).

source : reuters
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by EMANY01(m): 8:36pm On Dec 23, 2014
Wallie:

You are mostly correct but you fail to consider that there are various levels of secret weapons. The weapon you would use against China, Russia, or Iran is different from the one you would use against NK, Venezuela, or some other 3rd world country. Whatever was done to NK is not that sophisticated in the grand scheme of things as it seemed to be related to shutting down the power needed for their routers.
There is ALWAYS MAJOR top secret weapons being developed and improved in response to EVERY single country's capability. Take a look at Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), whose motto is "Creating and Preventing Strategic Surprise."

http://www.darpa.mil/default.aspx

Currently, if you have unique knowledge/idea for a product or service that relates to cyber security, you'll easily get funding by the private sector and/or the government to develop it.

I would even go a step further; if you want to become the next billionaire, develop a solution for corporations that prevents hacking.

EDIT: By the way, you can easily jam satellites by just swamping the bandwidth with very loud "noise." It is even better to send confusing info or wrong info by pretending to be the satellite or the person commanding the satellite.

You are correct although when all things are considered the difference between the systems & tools that would be employed in information warfare / electronic warfare(as you well know they are quite different although they generally will be applied together) against countries like Nigeria,SA,Argentina and N.K would be several iterations different in magnitude from the tools to be employed against say ; India,china and Russia. I don't think Iran really rates here.
The challenge and fine line to walk here for a western power (read France,Uk Israel and the US), would be to :calibrate the systems/tools to prevent a scenario where a peer state will gain access to observe the damage done using those tools and extrapolate to get a marginally fair assessment of what suite of offensive systems/tools are in reserve and intended for them.
Its the way the world works in the case of strategic weapons and intelligence:you have this awesome new weapon just developed and tested(hopefully without details of the weapon leaking to the oppositions intelligence services).
The quandary is now a scenario where a minor or just above minor conflict/threat/situation more likely not involving the "main enemy" (at first) develops.
That new weapon may just be the magic bullet that could help a commander in chief to resolve /neutralize the situation or threats in a cost effective( fewer [conventional ],platforms and lives of soldiers/seamen/airmen or Marines) manner with minimum risk of escalation .The problem is, that weapon was designed to contain and hold at risk the military strategic capacities of the main enem(ies).
The question for the CIC
!/do you" use that new secret weapon, rapidly and easily resolve that emerging situation/crisis containing a possible escalation that can occur when some crisis are not immediately resolved or
!/do you "Use the current tools you have ,capabilities of which are well known although marginally superior which may give you unpredictable results"?

The decision matrix is complicated by the fact that things could go spectacularly wrong in either case with serious political consequences for the CIC either way.
Examples of this scenarios include the loss of the F-111 , in Serbia which was essentially a "brush fire war" in American parlance.It gave the world (read Chinese and Russians) the first close up look at Americas' super secret stealth plane .Even though it was the carcass of the plane they were examining it gave the opposition a fundamental idea of what the new secret weapon was about and even if they could not build it, they began from there to build information/knowledge required to invalidate the threat posed by the new weapon.
Same scenario goes for the stealth helicopter lost in Abottabad in the operation to kill Bin Laden.The Chinese were there almost as soon as the American touched home base to take a good look at the downed chopper and if I recall correctly were trying to buy the fuselage from the Pakistani military/government.

In the case strategic intelligence the decision matrix is the same, consider this some historians claim that in 1941 before the Pearl harbor attack, the OSS had a spy embedded within the Japanese top political hierarchy who actually warned about a possible planned attack by Japan but the decision makers in the top levels of the OSS held on to that information not to sabotage the US but because if the information spread within the us war structure,it would lead to the Japanese overhauling their counter-intelligence essentially cutting of their only reliable sources of intelligence in the Japanese government.They had calculated rather wrongly that if they released their information within a specific time period before the Japanese actually attacked the Pacific fleet would be ready for the Japanese without tipping of their hand.Problem is the timed things rather too close and badly.They got the warning our but the warning came just as the attack fleet crossed into Hawaiian airspace.

So the question framed in a simple way is "so you use your secret weapon/intelligence for a medium/moderate level crisis and tip you hand or do you continue to conceal what you have until maximum benefit can be gained from using it?
Follow up question,how and when do you determine maximum benefit?

Shout out to Frankie....LOLLLLLSSS.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by EMANY01(m): 9:02pm On Dec 23, 2014
maajin007:
bro I want to some of this satellite stuff

Have a problem with my nairaland email.What exactly do you want?
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by princedoz: 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2014
US has not claimed responsibility for the attacks as at 11am today. However, if the us are responsible, they gat no right to shut down a nations internet gateway. US has and continually hack computer systems of other nations. They tried hacking even into Russian Intelligence. They may even have hacked into China or Nigeria as I type. What gives them the right to hack and not be hacked?
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Weah96: 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2014
princedoz:
US has not claimed responsibility for the attacks as at 11am today. However, if the us are responsible, they gat no right to shut down a nations internet gateway. US has and continually hack computer systems of other nations. They tried hacking even into Russian Intelligence. They may even have hacked into China or Nigeria as I type. What gives them the right to hack and not be hacked?

Dude, they hack everyone. Don't let anybody deceive you. Didn't you hear what Edward Snowden said or do you think the man was only exaggerating? Every phone line in the US is tapped, as a start. They can also remotely assume control of the cameras in your laptop and phone.

That's why rule one of terrorism is not to fck with electronic transmissions.
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by KLand(m): 10:51pm On Dec 23, 2014
Does anyone have a link to watch the movie online?
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by fulanigirl(f): 6:46am On Dec 24, 2014
XketchDesigns:
American is a stupeed country! I mean, why make a move about assassinating the president of another country? Using his real name and the real name of the country? I mean on his own soil? Is there any greater insult than this?

Imagine, a movie made about killing obama and ridiculing him to the whole world!? Why is is when they make movies about American presidents they never use their real names? And at the end of the day, the president always is some sort of a hero, kills the bad guys and never dies even with all the odds stacked against him!

I can name 20 movies at d top of my head about American presidents attached but the manage to kill the bad guys and lived!

And for the fact that obama was behind Sony is just disgusting. Hypocracy at its highest. The are bullies and nothin more!

What about free speech? I completely support Obama in this. North Korea should not be able to regulate the movie industry of another country, that is bullying!! If I wanted to make a comedy insulting Obama, I should be able to because that is what freedom is about. It's not about someone's feelings, as a public figure, people will make fun of you. So get over it!!

That movie would've flopped based on the bad script and acting but because Kim threw a tantrum like a child people are going to go watch it making it a success!!
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by fulanigirl(f): 6:52am On Dec 24, 2014
BrownKnight:

Yeah i'm not a kim fan but to be fair that film was in poor taste, so not cool. Imagine if another country did a film like that about our president.

Yes it's in poor taste but to hack and threaten is cowardly, he should take it like a man. People are allowed to make a movie about anything they like, that is freedom to express
Re: USA Shuts Down North Korea's Internet After Sony Hack by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 24, 2014
fulanigirl:

Yes it's in poor taste but to hack and threaten is cowardly, he should take it like a man. People are allowed to make a movie about anything they like, that is freedom to express
North Korea insists it didn't hack Sony systems. Yes people have freedom of expression, and that exprssion shouldn't be misused. There is a limit to everything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mugabe Appoints Minister For “whatsapp And Facebook” In Zimbabwe / Ihor Zhovka Invites President Biden To Kyiv Next Week If He Is Brave / Putin Raids Prigozhin’s Mansion; Humiliates Excile Warlord After Failed Uprising

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.