Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,921 members, 7,952,705 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:51 PM

6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids (3171 Views)

Parents Send Soldiers To Beat Guests At Son's Wedding / Wife Asks Our Son To Beat Me Up Anytime We Quarrel —pastor Tells Court / When Is It Justifiable To Beat A Woman? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Giftedgreen: 6:13am On Dec 23, 2014
When it comes to using corporal punishment to train a child, African parents take to whole cake.

The scientific research is pretty clear that spanking kids is ineffective, if spanking truly works, then Nigeria would produce the best children in the world.

Spanking correlates with various bad outcomes, including addiction, depression and other mental health problems. But spanking remains legal in most countries of the world, including the United States.

Sweden was the first country in the world to completely abolish all corporal punishment of children in 1979 and since then 43 countries have outlawed spanking, and two more are about to.

In Africa, six countries have been able to fully protect children from corporal punishment by law.

It is important to note that while the children in these countries are fully protected from every form of corporal punishment by the law, they still get a good beating from their parents and teachers as full implementation of the law in these countries have remained problematic.

1. Togo

Togo banned corporal punishment of kids in 2007. The Children Code of Togo considers corporal punishment a breach of law. The Code also explicitly prohibits punishment in schools and in penal and care institutions.

In order to support the implementation of the prohibition, the government has taken a number of measures, including: Launching the Learn Without Fear Campaign, setting up a child protection hotline that any person can use anonymously and many more.

Though majority of the teachers and parents still believe that beating a child is the most appropriate punishment and corporal punishment continues to be used.

Further work is being put in place to ensure full implementation of the law and elimination of corporal punishment.

2. Kenya

In 2010, Kenya proposed a new constitution can into force on 27 August 2010. The Bill of Rights protects the right of every person not to be subject to corporal punishment by any person in any setting. If you paid any attention to the previous sentence, you will notice that the rights apply to all persons and all settings.

3. Tunisia

In July 2010, Parliament passed a Law amending to Penal Code to remove the clause which provided a legal defence for the use of corporal punishment in childbearing.

Prior to the reform, the Penal Code punished assault and violence which did not lead to serious or lasting consequences for the victim, but stated that “correction of a child by persons in authority over him is not punishable”.

The new law explicitly repeals this clause, making it a criminal offence to assault a child even lightly, even if you are correcting the child.

Opponents of the amendment argued that it undermines parents’ authority and could lead to loosening of traditionally close family ties.

4. South Sudan

On 14 July 2011, the Republic of Sudan became the 193rd member state of the United Nations, having achieved independence on 9 July of the same year.

South Sudan achieved full prohibition of corporal punishment, though legislation prohibiting corporal punishment was originally enacted prior to independence.

In 2005, the Interim constitution stated that “Every child has the right . . . (f) to be free from corporal punishment and cruel and inhuman treatment by any person including parents, school administrations and other institutions”.

Prohibition was confirmed in article the Child Act (2008). The child act protects children from capital punishment, life imprisonment, corporal punishment, or group punishment by chiefs, police, teacher, prison guards or any other person in any place or institution, including schools, prisons and reformatories.

After Independence in 2011 these laws came into force.

5. Cape Verde

Cape Verde has banned all forms of corporal punishment of children, including within the family.

As part of article 31 of the Law on Children and Adolescents 2013, which entered into force in 2013, parents must, „In exercising the right to correction always keep in mind the rights of children and adolescents to an upbringing free from violence, corporal punishment, psychological harm and any other measures affecting their dignity, which are all inadmissible.”

Before 2013, corporal punishment was a criminal offence in all public and private institutions under the Civil Code, but it remained lawful in the home and other care settings.

6. Congo, Republic of

Article 53 on Protection of the Law on the Protection of the Child (2010) states: “It is prohibited to use corporal punishment for disciplining or correcting the child” (unofficial translation)

The government in its report to the committee on the Rights of the Child in 2010, confirmed that prohibition now extends to the home setting.

What is the most memorable beating you have ever received from your parents? Let us know in the comment section below

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/12/23/6-african-counties-where-it-is-illegal-to-beat-your-kids/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by IKJ66(m): 6:22am On Dec 23, 2014
⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥·̵̭̌✽̤̥̈̊OK̤̥̈̊·̵̭̌»̶̥-̶̯͡┈̥‎⌣
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Mynd44: 6:25am On Dec 23, 2014
It has also been banned in public schools in Lagos.
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Giftedgreen: 6:36am On Dec 23, 2014
Mynd44:
It has also been banned in public schools in Lagos.

For Nigeria to join the list of countries above, we would need to prohibit spanking of kids in the home, in alternative care settings, in day care and in public schools. We would need to prohibit spanking in penal institutions and stop spanking kids as punishment for crimes.

In Nigeria spanking of kids in not prohibited in the home, in alternative care settings, in day care and in public schools.

The Child Right Acts (2003) prohibits spanking of kids is penal institutions but this is not enacted in all states.

The Child Right Acts (2003) also prohibit spanking as sentence for crimes but, as said previously, it it not enacted in all states and other legislation would need to be amended.

Spanking of Children is lawful in areas under Sharia Law.

1 Like

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by psucc(m): 7:09am On Dec 23, 2014
Call it spanking, beating or whatever, am ready to serve a fourth term behind the bars for flogging my wards. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Those countries will definitely reap.

Let time comes.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 9:29am On Dec 23, 2014
psucc:
Call it spanking, beating or whatever, am ready to serve a fourth term behind the bars for flogging my wards. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Those countries will definitely reap.

Let time comes.

Tell me, how many of the kids who were spanked fared better than those who were not? Those were not were even better of. The choice is up to the child to be good or bad. It is important you constantly remind them of the good future they have rather than beating them with canes like cows. I have seen a lot if children from a spanking home as the worst the society has ever produced. They are even worst than those treated with love and care.

Please, spare the rode and spoil the child is for primitive minds. It was a word coined thousands of years ago where civilization was termed evil. You should not apply that now.

Use the rod and spoil the child.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Giftedgreen: 10:09am On Dec 23, 2014
Though these bans are very difficult to enforce, they regulate actions toward children in homes in which parents remain the authority figures and are largely shielded from public view.

The laws, give children a legal voice and send a clear message to parents that spanking is wrong.

Instead of spanking, use gentle instruction, supported by a strong foundation of love and respect, is the only truly effective way to bring about commendable behavior based on strong inner values, instead of superficially "good" behavior based only on fear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by lilmax(m): 10:20am On Dec 23, 2014
Beating is allowed
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by cococandy(f): 4:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
Way to go.

No beating of kids in the name of corrections:
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by jnrbayano(m): 5:17pm On Dec 23, 2014
I don't see me not flogging my kids to correct their misdemeanor at times.

Letters of the law can never deter this resolve.
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 23, 2014
Im sorry the African in me will still let me spank that little bum bum small small if that child gets out of hand... Like i said just a little...just to put the fear of the Lord in that child grin

3 Likes

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
Not spank my child? Lai lai.
So one small child should now tell me "Dad, shut up" and u expect me to do nothing? Again, lai lai
My child should walk out on me or shout on me and u expect me to do nothing? Lai lai.

Even the bible talk say "Spare the rod and spoil the child", shey u want make I disobey God? Lai lai
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 23, 2014
Zedric:
Not spank my child? Lai lai.
So one small child should now tell me "Dad, shut up" and u expect me to do nothing? Again, lai lai
My child should walk out on me or shout on me and u expect me to do nothing? Lai lai.

Even the bible talk say "Spare the rod and spoil the child", shey u want make I disobey God? Lai lai

Why would a child do it?
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 23, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Why would a child do it?
I have an uncle that lives in Australia n I can say I wouldn't accept his kids 4 everything in this world. I never believed it was possible 4 a child to be so rude
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by bennyrazz: 9:13pm On Dec 23, 2014
For no more spanking/beating of kids in Nigeria to become a law, it has to go to the national assembly. And to be sincere, 90% of Nigerian kids are very stubborn. It will be unwise to make it a law in Nigeria
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Ezibless: 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2014
Nice info,but kinda long though.

Hit like if you only read the names of the countries grin
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 23, 2014
Zedric:

I have an uncle that lives in Australia n I can say I wouldn't accept his kids 4 everything in this world. I never believed it was possible 4 a child to be so rude

I haven't asked if you know such kids. I want to know, why children misbehave according to you.

2 Likes

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by EfemenaXY: 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I haven't asked if you know such kids. I want to know, why children misbehave according to you.

Lol!

Because they were born "bad", through no fault of their "parents". Because the kids are "naturally" stubborn. Lemme go check my book of Olodo-ism to come up with more befitting answers...

3 Likes

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Lol!

Because they were born "bad", through no fault of their "parents". Because the kids are "naturally" stubborn. Lemme go check my book of Olodo-ism to come up with more befitting answers...

wink wink wink
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Dheartless: 10:06pm On Dec 23, 2014
compare the misbehavior to parents, the killing of parents by teenage kids who feel offended, the rudeness to parents..........many more
and tell us which is better.

you deserve purnishment in one way or the other if you Bleep up (else there will be no need to purnish criminals).

anyone idiot who I am in any way dependent upon that does not let me know my wrongs and does not purnish me in one way or another, I promise him/her a good deal of trouble when things go wrong for me.

(be it corporal or otherwise, it is good a thing as far it is not overdone)

this is my opinion
please don't quote me

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Diznie(f): 2:18am On Dec 24, 2014
maybe just in schools but not at home...cause some teachers over do it...mostly the female teachers,once they think of you in a negative way,they won't let your life remain the same till you leave the school
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by raumdeuter: 2:26am On Dec 24, 2014
psucc:

Let time comes.

And Nigeria that has been spanking since forever produce more criminals, 419, drug traffikers, Armed robbers, liars and every crime in the book

SO what effect does the spanking or beating had on the life of Nigerians

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by jnrbayano(m): 4:15am On Dec 24, 2014
raumdeuter:

And Nigeria that has been spanking since forever produce more criminals, 419, drug traffikers, Armed robbers, liars and every crime in the book

I am what I am now because mum intervened. She trained us using different methods. She's a versatile child trainer supremo.

While growing up, I was a mixture of obduracy and carelessness. I flaunt rules for fun, lose belongings as if it is righteous to do.

For instance, I go to school on a brand new sandals and return home bare-footed.

Despite being one of the best brains in mathematics of my class, carelessness and the lure to be out in the field playing ball and doing gyminastic will never allow me concentration to get a score my brain deserved.

How many times did I break my limbs, neck etc because I won't hid my mums warnings against gyminastics and allied sports?

Today, I am not a criminal, a 419er, a drug traffiker, an armed robber. I am not a liar either. My limbs and neck are also intact grin thanks to God, mum/much older siblings and that sweetbitter cane (prepared mostly from guava tree)

RIP Mum.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by jnrbayano(m): 4:17am On Dec 24, 2014
cococandy:
Way to go.

No beating of kids in the name of corrections:

Way to go na-aza gini? undecided
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by cococandy(f): 4:36am On Dec 24, 2014
jnrbayano:

Way to go na-aza gini? undecided
cheesy
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by dinachi(m): 7:28am On Dec 24, 2014
Go and check those countries that outlawed corporal punishment, they have the most badly behaved children. These are countries where children wake up pick arms and open fire on their classmates for no justifiable reason. Some even kill their parents. Children have absolutely no regard for their parents there. Here in Nigeria, children respect their parents more by far. Why do we have a justice system that jails and sometimes executes people? Punishing children when they misbehave helps them to understand that there is a clear consequence for breaking the law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 24, 2014
dinachi:
Go and check those countries that outlawed corporal punishment, they have the most badly behaved children. These are countries where children wake up pick arms and open fire on their classmates for no justifiable reason. Some even kill their parents. Children have absolutely no regard for their parents there. Here in Nigeria, children respect their parents more by far. Why do we have a justice system that jails and sometimes executes people? Punishing children when they misbehave helps them to understand that there is a clear consequence for breaking the law.

And you have been to how many of those countries to know that?
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 24, 2014
raumdeuter:

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Exjoker(m): 8:11am On Dec 24, 2014
Implementing those laws will always be a problem in Africa
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Jennydoris(f): 10:39am On Dec 24, 2014
psucc:

Let time comes.

Seconded..... In addition, Like an adage says, Beat a child with the left hand and draw the child closer to u with the right hand, that way you will correct him/her and show the child that you love him/her.. because sometimes kids when spanked they always have the feeling that you hate them. But when you spank them and later on apologise and explain things to them, they seriously will not repeat that action that prompted the spanking.....
Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 24, 2014
Jennydoris:

Seconded..... In addition, Like an adage says, Beat a child with the left hand and draw the child closer to u with the right hand, that way you will correct him/her and show the child that you love him/her.. because sometimes kids when spanked they always have the feeling that you hate them. But when you spank them and later on apologise and explain things to them, they seriously will not repeat that action that prompted the spanking.....

When you apologize later, then you indirectly tell the child that you made a mistake. It doesn't make sense.

2 Likes

Re: 6 African Counties Where It Is Illegal To Beat Your Kids by Jennydoris(f): 11:08am On Dec 24, 2014
carefreewannabe:

When you apologize later, then you indirectly tell the child that you made a mistake. It doesn't make sense.

That's a big LIE!

My dad raised us that way. He can't beat u and leave u to go just like that. He is the type that whenever you did something wrong, he will pretend as if he didn't see or notice what u just did. With you thinking that you are free of your crime will peacefully go about your other business only for him to wake u up in the middle of the night. And give u a serious beating with cane. But he will call you to other the next day, 'Nne or Nna depending on who the culprit is, he will say don't do this again with reasons and he will tell u that he loves u he just wants you to be of good behaviour. When coming back that same day he comes back with lots of goodies for everybody but yours will be bigger and with this I and my siblings don't just mess up because mere thoughts of his beating will give you high B undecided. My mum will beat u and leave you to cry your hearts out. She is ever ready to beat you without even correcting you. To her beating you is enough correction. But then the Big Oga is there to console and comfort you and give you corrections. Then we thought my mum is the wicked type but with age we now know that she is only trying to correct us. Beating when done in the proper way has not killed any child rather it will add some senses in the child's brain.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! My Best Friend Betrayed Me! / How Do I Tell My Husband / Beating Your Wife : How Mr Sule Physically Abused His Wife To Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.