Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! (21790 Views)

Enugu Train Station Revived By President Jonathan (photo) / IBB's Children, Mohammed & Halima On PDP Campaign Train In Niger / Elechi Sidelined, Booed As Jonathan’s Campaign Train Visits Ebonyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Ikengawo: 6:18pm On Dec 24, 2014
[size=15pt]Nigeria: Jonathan Commissions Enugu-Port Harcourt Train Service[/size]

Port Harcourt — PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan yesterday flagged off the Enugu-Port Harcourt train service, describing the project as a landmark achievement that would enhance the transport system and boost the nation's economy.

Represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo, Jonathan said his administration was gradually and steadily transforming the rail system, which had been abandoned for the past 30 years. He affirmed that the modernisation of the rail system would address some key issues in the nation's ailing economy.

"This flag-off of the Enugu-Port Harcourt intercity train service is a concrete evidence that the Federal Government is very much concerned about its citizens, and I'm glad that this will extend to other parts of the country by January."

Jonathan lauded the board of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) was able to deliver on government's promise to revive the country's once abandoned railway transport system.

According to him, the present administration remains committed to improving the wellbeing of a generality of Nigerians, especially in the provision of critical social amenities and infrastructure that would drive the economic growth of the country.

"We have prayed and yearned for the actualization of this project. We have kept our faith by keeping all our promises," Jonathan said. "My presence here today is to further demonstrate the full commitment to delivering the dividends of democracy to Nigerians."

On his part, the Chairman of board of NRC, Bamanga Tukor, explained that the commissioning of the Port Harcourt-Enugu station was a dream come through, adding that Nigerians need to commend Jonathan for reviving the railway system.

He noted that his administration has rigorously pursued policies that would boost the transport system, including the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the road network. Also, he assured that the project would be maintained to ensure sustainability.

Also speaking at the occasion, Managing Director of the Nigeria Railway Corporation, Adeseyi Sijuwade, noted that the rehabilitation of the Eastern line has been much more challenging in view of the extent of its dilapidation.

He recalled precisely that the Aba gully erosion in September 2010 completely washed away about 30 metres length of the track, adding that such challenges made the train services along the line impossible since 2009.

"We have successfully constructed a five-metre-wide reinforced concrete culvert of overall length of 366 to resolve the problem. There was also the Aba mountain of refuse, which was about five metres high.

"These challenges are now history, as all the damaged structures have been reconstructed, the mountain of refuse cleared and the entire track rehabilitated hence the flag-off from Port Harcourt to Enugu," he said.

Sijuwade further cited the completion of the Western line and the resumption of train service from Lagos to Kano in December 2012 as well as the rehabilitation of the Eastern line as milestones in the rail system transformation. According to him, the Enugu-Port Harcourt-Enugu intercity passenger service will run three return trips per week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

The train will depart Enugu at 7:00a.m, stop over at five intermediate stations - Ovim, which is a densely populated passenger station, Umuahia, the Abia State capital, Omoba, Aba, where we have the famous Ariaria Market, and Imo River, which is the boundary of Aba and Rivers States. On arrival at Port Harcourt, the train will wait for about an hour or two and commence the return journey to Enugu.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201412240228.html

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by tron23(m): 6:20pm On Dec 24, 2014
Nice

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by herald9: 6:21pm On Dec 24, 2014
I'm not a businessman...

So it's not my business.

6 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Crocz(m): 6:22pm On Dec 24, 2014
That picture is not inside a train...certainly not inside the one to operate from PH - Enugu

"The trains they show us looks like those Japanese super fast trains but in reality, they look like those operating between Mumbai and Pakistan in the 60's

Don't be deceived...you enter them, you'd think you already travelling to hell

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by temitemi1(m): 6:25pm On Dec 24, 2014
All hail GEJ!!! I talk am sey nobody fit stop ur coming back. GEJ till 2019!!!

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Ikengawo: 6:28pm On Dec 24, 2014
Crocz:
That picture is not inside a train...certainly not inside the one to operate from PH - Enugu

"The trains they show us looks like those Japanese super fast trains but in reality, they look like those operating between Mumbai and Pakistan in the 60's

it's the train

27 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by herald9: 6:28pm On Dec 24, 2014
Crocz:

Wetin concern business woman with super fast trains ..as far as it can carry their periwinkle and tomato across...

They're cool with it.

40 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 24, 2014
Goodluck is busy working, some people who think its their portion to rule keep sabotaging him. I pity christians who think buhari is ideal. I've stayed amongst these folks, didn't I school in their midst ? All I can say is that "THEY ARE BLOODY FANATICS". Ask people who school in UNIMAID lecturers intentionally fail Christian students. And so many other institutions in the north. I remember vividly how one idiot man mised my marks and other christians?. Our offence? We are christians. They are so bad. I believe they are sabotaging Jonathan. I've seen their moves A LOT OF TIMES

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Crocz(m): 6:32pm On Dec 24, 2014
herald9:

Wetin concern business woman with super fast trains ..as far as it can carry their periwinkle and tomato across...

They're cool with it.

So your biology teacher no teach you say Tomato is a perishable good?...he must be Jonathan!

We've been looking for Jona's students and finally we gat one. I've always wondered how he's gonna think like

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by herald9: 6:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
Crocz:

So your biology teacher no teach you say Tomato is a perishable good?...he must be Jonathan!

We've been looking for Jona's students and finally we gat one. I've always wondered how he's gonna think like

gringrin

Guy Wetin I do you...that was just an examplegrin

7 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 24, 2014
I remember those day (in kano now?) where a guy told his co-islamist not to shake me because I'm "arne" (unbeliever) I felt humiliated but hey! I've known them to be stupid set of people so I needed not to bother much sha. I've forgiven him though as a "christian". I also remember that in an islamiyya (during obasanjo's era now?) where the kids there will Chant and say "allah ye kashe muna obasanjo ameen" (meaning their god should kill obasanjo ameen) abi? and I tell you, obasanjo was just misbehaving and people never showed him gratitude. People don't reason especially lagosians mtcheeeeeew. I'd rather vote for JESUS

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 24, 2014
Christians would be in for a SHOCKER should buhari ascend the throne. They have started showing their True colour by humiliating amaechi. Forget all the stunts amaechi is doing, if you're observant you'll know amaechi is frustrated. Only time will tell, you all will say i said so. Now that's a typical hausa man for you. He will NEVER, EVER like someone who is smarter than him. He will always want to work with those who are foolish, those he will get infomation about the Christendom. Should buhari ascend, I pity osinbajo.
Nigerians cannot even THINK

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Sylvarresta(m): 6:49pm On Dec 24, 2014
Crocz:

buhahahahahah

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 24, 2014
Some christians are really foolish. They co-operate much more than other religions because........... lipsrsealed they hate it that a Christian is in power. They believe they alone should rule. Some people living in the north now will tell you that they are beginning to misbehave small small shouting they quranic nonsense. They are only waiting for a little oppurtunity. Some foolish christians are shouting CHANGE instead of them to shout PRAYERS!!!!!!. They think they are being non-fanatical and educated hence should throw sentiments away. Good! But they don't know that what they are clamouring for is their doom should buhari ascend that throne. Many of their people are much more corrupt but they'll cover up for them.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:02pm On Dec 24, 2014
Unservicable Trains on top 1806 Rail Tracks carrying the worst governor!Transformation indeed! Smh

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Pillars1(m): 7:03pm On Dec 24, 2014
Madecine after Death
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by akashi01(m): 7:03pm On Dec 24, 2014
#OkBye
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Airforce1(m): 7:04pm On Dec 24, 2014
goodluck Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 24, 2014
nice one
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 24, 2014
Nice one. We hav to improve our train and sea transport, cos of our population

2 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by koboko69: 7:07pm On Dec 24, 2014
grin
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by tosan200(m): 7:07pm On Dec 24, 2014
Nice one jonathan but am sorry, you will still get the boot in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Super1759: 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2014
wow.....one thing about this GEJ is that he care less about what the ratful APC is doing...I can't forget this statement....I will make your government ungovernable

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2014
Crocz:

smiley
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by saaedlee: 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2014
It is a stupid and clueless lie
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by orobs93(m): 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2014
how many people dey enter train..nah train we tell u say be our problem..always out of the line...so so railway railway na u dey construct and dey are even old modern
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by olayincar(m): 7:10pm On Dec 24, 2014
PDP is working

4 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by ibdeals1(m): 7:10pm On Dec 24, 2014
Good
Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 24, 2014
After the show of charade,they will continue using their private jets. Lol

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 24, 2014
I've got friends in the north and honestly, I Pity some christians in the north. The atmosphere is tensed and some so called agents of devil (al...) (Like one I'm seeing here) are charging to offer the blood of the saints to their god should their Big agent not come in. Christians shouting change, you Need JESUS. Better vote for jimi agbaje lagosians and receive your peace. I rather vote for a clueless president than to vote for one who will oppress my freedom. Don't you know that with your freedom you can think and make money (especially honestly)? Before the advent of boko haram(visably anyway) do you know that in yobe a church DARES NOT PUT an outside speaker, Not even to take praise if I'm not mistaken. Some christians are way tooooooooooooooooooo stupid for my liking. I've toured round the north to an extent abi?

22 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by Feraz(m): 7:11pm On Dec 24, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:
Unservicable Trains on top 1806 Rail Tracks carrying the worst governor!Transformation indeed! Smh
Have you tried or seen them to know they're 'unserviceable'? Some of you are just impossible. Another means of transportation has been added which will reduce the pressures on our roads and cars and that is a commendable feat.

25 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt - Enugu Train Is Back! by bennygreat1(m): 7:12pm On Dec 24, 2014
Crocz:

Must U doubt everything cos U re supporting Apc party...??

Smh..

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ali Redeploys 69 Comptrollers Of Customs / Profile Of Ibrahim Dankwambo And His Nigerian Presidential Bid / Insecurity: Ndume Accuses Southern Governors Of Engaging In Blame Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.