Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,756 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* (33234 Views)

Write Your Shortest Flash Fiction. Not More Than 25 Words. / The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by chrisviral(m): 11:22am On Jan 16, 2015
whitemosquito:
Why do you ppl like arguments?
I said if it starts out as a tragedy it should have a twist that causes it to end on a happy note. You said all tragedies have unpleasant endings, now you've turned around to admit that there are tragicomedies. Oh, you knew that did you?

@ spacefreak, the rules said write any theme of your choice, true. But I DIDN'T SAY WRITE TRAGEDIES. I gave EXAMPLES of different themes, eg Romance, comedy etc.
Further prompts said 'weave it around the promise and excitement of the New year. Common sense would tell you that whatever story you produce should be happy/hopeful.
Sir, if you were expecting me to spell it out for you as in Queens Premier, then you aren't qualified for the Challenge.

For some people, the promise of the new year is pregnancy and HIV grin cheesy
It doesn't always have to be a good promise or excitement, lol, abi no be for nigerian culture wey I hear say 10 people died on the 1st grin cheesy

This theme E hard gan oooo angry grin cheesy wink smiley undecided
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 11:44am On Jan 16, 2015
spacefreak:

"2 Only one submission per entry. Each submission must be a prose written in any theme of your choice, (comedy, romance, tragedy etc)."

What I quoted above was your number 2 rule on the main thread. Im not a fan of arguments, I know when Im wrong and when Im right. You wrote clearly that the theme should be totally the writer's choice. Now you saying the story MUST have a happy ending. In that case a tragedy is a no no contrary to what I quote above. I might be wrong though. I would still love to read a piece written by you.
Ewo. Wahala wa o. Oya, please, also quote where I said all stories "must have a happy ending".
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 11:55am On Jan 16, 2015
chrisviral:

For some people, the promise of the new year is pregnancy and HIV grin cheesy
It doesn't always have to be a good promise or excitement, lol, abi no be for nigerian culture wey I hear say 10 people died on the 1st grin cheesy

This theme E hard gan oooo angry grin cheesy wink smiley undecided
Chris, the theme was the easiest I came up with. Now I'm wondering how the other themes would have been received. The one wey nearly provoke me na where person talk say nl contest rules are refined at will..Like wtf?
A promise, no matter how you choose to see it, is positive.

@theorbiters, yea, everyone should just relax and see the entries that make the first stage.

...nl contest rules are refined at will...mssstchew.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 12:01pm On Jan 16, 2015
Bhenehdikt:
hahahahahaha!...whitey,u suppose undastand na,wen money dey involved,man fit forget rules...but nothing spoil sha.
Wen will the first phase end? @whitemosquito
Forget the rules, be prepared to forget the money too o. Yea, nothing spoil...just my goodwill towards contestants. Lol....
Hopefully on or before the 19th. You know im not paying the judges, gotta be sensitive to not putting too much pressure on them....
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 12:07pm On Jan 16, 2015
@spacefreak, I'll see what I can do about writing a piece. No promises though.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by OMA4U(m): 1:10pm On Jan 16, 2015
Whitemosquito, you stated clearly that write any theme of your choice (e.g romance, tragedy, comedy, etc)

Weave the story around the promise and excitement of the new year. Okay?

The story must depict African culture, tradition, belief, etc

Now, it's apparent that there's no happy ending in a tragic story. Now if the writer chose to write a tragedy, even though the story was woven around new year excitement/promise and African culture and tradition, do you still expect the TRAGIC story to have a happy ending?

I read and follow instructions duly in any competition whatsoever, but it's becoming convoluted with this arguments.

Thanks for providing avenue for budding writers to show their skills. God bless you.

3 Likes

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Oahray: 3:00pm On Jan 16, 2015
whitemosquito:
Chris, the theme was the easiest I came up with. Now I'm wondering how the other themes would have been received. The one wey nearly provoke me na where person talk say nl contest rules are refined at will..Like wtf?
A promise, no matter how you choose to see it, is positive.

@theorbiters, yea, everyone should just relax and see the entries that make the first stage.

...nl contest rules are refined at will...mssstchew.
you are free to hiss as much as you like. Your choice. I mentioned this refinement you made. Literature is not mathematics with a definite approach, people see things differently. That's why you should be clear with your rules.

You gave room for creativity with the freedom to choose how to write it. That's commendable, but trying to condemn the resultant creativity isn't commendable.

I think you should have discussed your preferences with your judges, not bash the contestants with personal opinion which is by no means universal. There is no rule of life or literature that whatever is exciting cannot become tragic.

I could have kept quiet as an observer with no stake in the matter, since you are the organiser and have the right to look out for anything you wish. But it doesn't make any sense to shift the ground underneath one's feet without warning, and then call him drunk for staggering. Refining a rule is not the ish. Saying the contestants failed for not seeing things exactly the way you do, is just arrogant.

...and yes you refined the rules. Sue me. As a leader, you should learn to accept criticism as much as you are willing to give it.

10 Likes

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Mobsync(m): 3:43pm On Jan 16, 2015
whitemosquito:
And the same, should I call it nonchalance or negligence, was displayed in the entries. Typos, tensal errors, misspellings...when you're submitting for the purpose of a competition? When you're work will be analyzed and scrutinized? In depth?

That's just sad.

Some of the entries I posted, I had to clean up and arrange, which strictly speaking, is wrong.
Entries without titles...when I specifically stated, TWICE- in the general guidelines and again when I dropped my mail address- that all entries should carry titles and monikers. I had to attach ppl's monikers to their entries.

Some addressed the SUBJECT of the mail as the title of their entry. So, how am I supposed to know what youre submitting FOR? What if I was running two separate competitions simultaneously? You don't leave things to chance like that.
The SUBJECT should have been The White Mosquito Flash fiction....blah blah, while the BODY OF YOUR MAIL SHOULD CARRY YOUR TITLE. If you were attaching files, same thing. Your title should be contained in your file.

Some people saved their files as "yeah" or "aha". Like really? When I opened them, they contained titles only or titles and monikers, no White Mosquito Challenge anywhere in the entire mail. Na wa.

Then the arrangement style was just...painful. Some people wrote like they were writing letters to themselves or perhaps their girl/boy friends. Some used fonts that my laptop didnt even recognise.

As far as arrangement or presentation of entries is concerned, very few people impressed me. One of such was mobsync; he/she included the nl profile URL for his/her moniker as well as the title. Beautiful. Over and above call of duty; well thought out.

I choose to believe that a lot of us didn't take the Challenge seriously. After all, some people even said they were in it for "fun", "to while away time", since the prizes offered were paltry for those of them that use "laptops to browse".

All well and good. There's nothing wrong with doing things for fun. Infact one of the purposes of the Challenge was to entertain. I haven't lacked that since I created the first Challenge post; there's been a bevy of entertainment, especially on this comment thread.

However, we say that we are writers. Writing is technical. Deliberate. Careful.
If there's anything I want anyone to take away from this competition, it's this: BE DELIBERATE. Work your craft. Yes, you have a gift of imagination. Yes, you have creative expression. But that's where it ends. Writing itself is a SKILL, NOT A GIFT. You have to WORK IT. Learn it. Hone it.

And not just for writing alone. It's a life skill. Being deliberate, that is. Whatever you choose to do, as long as you have chosen to expend time and effort to do it, DO IT WELL.

Mobsync is an he. Thank you. grin grin grin
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by chrisviral(m): 4:01pm On Jan 16, 2015
I smell drama!!! grin cheesy
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 16, 2015
Nobody wants to lose....Lol..
It will be my fault if I'm not chosen because I thought it should only revolve around new year...but should I blame the organisers for my blindness-No

In fact, this is my 1st flash fiction and I'm happy I was able to meet up with all but one of the requirements...
All I need for a next time is patience..

So to those blaming the amount of words (400), that means you've seen anything...Recently
@ a platform, we all competed for free with 200words.and it made sense that someone even got an idea for a very big story..so the amount of words is nothing to talk about...

For those that said tragedy cannot turn to comedy, that's a joke.
Culture is not a problem. The problem is that we like to blame others for our mediocrity; thereby, limiting ourselves and what we can do....
Advice: Complain less and concentrate more...
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 5:37pm On Jan 16, 2015
Father, give me grace.

@ oahray, My judges are well aware of the interpretation of the rules, if you or some or other with a 'higher stake in the matter' failed to understand it, that's your myopia to treat.
I never bashed anyone's entry or condemned their creativity. If you had taken your colored lenses off for a minute, to objectively read through the entries, you would clearly see that certain ones are 360 degrees off topic. Entertaining, but off topic.
It's interesting that you finally agree that what is tragic can become exciting and vice versa. I wonder where you got that idea from....let's see...oh okay, THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING ALL THE WHILE.

THIS is the last I will respond to you on this matter. Feel free to drive up traffic on the thread though.

And yes, my hiss. MSSSSSTTCCCCHHEEEWWWWWW!!!
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Caracta(f): 5:44pm On Jan 16, 2015
Easy now whitemosquito.

Reviews should come later on...i think.

Let the judges decide.

Each entry can be reviewed (if possible). I believe the aim of the competition is to learn and develop the writing skill.

There is no winner. There is no loser. There should be an outline of rules flouted and the reason(s) the contestant didn't (or did) get the prize. I believe the judges can handle that pretty well (with constructive criticisms).

It's ok sweetheart. You've done well. Sheathe your sword and breathe easy.

Good job everyone.

1 Like

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Oahray: 5:48pm On Jan 16, 2015
Divepen:

For those that said tragedy cannot turn to comedy, that's a joke.
smh... Tragedy isn't the same as tragi-comedy. Go do your research and stop being so patronizing.

What is right is right, regardless of who is wrong.

I've said my own. Whitemosquito, no vex o. Your house, your rules. Time to keep my peace and watch. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by spacefreak: 6:51pm On Jan 16, 2015
Oahray:
smh... Tragedy isn't the same as tragi-comedy. Go do your research and stop being so patronizing.

I've said my own. Whitemosquito, no vex o. Your house, your rules. Time to keep my peace and watch. cheesy
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by theorbiters: 6:51pm On Jan 16, 2015
Caracta:

There is no winner. There is no loser.

Hehehehe, omo, there are winners and losers in a competition ooo. Don't believe that thing they use to tell us.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by spacefreak: 6:54pm On Jan 16, 2015
@whitemosquito I can be patient. Take your time. smiley
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by theorbiters: 6:56pm On Jan 16, 2015
Oahray:

But pls don't be angry, did u submit any entry?
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 16, 2015
Make una take am easy for here o.

*just passing by.
Na every competition for Nairaland una go dey fight undecided We done old la. cheesy
Ayamlaykorn
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Oahray: 7:07pm On Jan 16, 2015
theorbiters:

But pls don't be angry, did u submit any entry?
lol. No. I carry the matter for head abi? No mind me o.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by theorbiters: 7:11pm On Jan 16, 2015
Oahray:
lol. No. I carry the matter for head abi? No mind me o.

grin grin chai. E dey happen
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Caracta(f): 7:22pm On Jan 16, 2015
theorbiters:

Hehehehe, omo, there are winners and losers in a competition ooo. Don't believe that thing they use to tell us.

That means you are a loser if you don't win this competition?

That's a sorry case...
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by theorbiters: 7:29pm On Jan 16, 2015
Caracta:

That's a sorry case...

Haba, calm down na, no say am like that. If I did not win this challenge, then u can say 'hey buddy, u lost this challenge. Better luck next time.'
Lol, telling someone that 'there are no winners or losers is even making it more painful for the person that lost. What of the winner ko? Did he not win abi wetin?
My dear, it happens, there are losers and winners in this competition
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Caracta(f): 7:49pm On Jan 16, 2015
theorbiters:

Haba, calm down na, no say am like that. If I did not win this challenge, then u can say 'hey buddy, u lost this challenge. Better luck next time.'
Lol, telling someone that 'there are no winners or losers is even making it more painful for the person that lost. What of the winner ko? Did he not win abi wetin?
My dear, it happens, there are losers and winners in this competition

Your opinion...i respect that. We all see life differently. To me, there is no winner or loser.

Whatever present the winner gets is mostly measured in material items...things that could fade, die or become irrelevant. I'd rather place value on what is irreplaceable...the lesson I learnt from the experience.

Again, it's your opinion and what you believe in. No qualms.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by theorbiters: 7:55pm On Jan 16, 2015
Caracta:

Your opinion...i respect that. We all see life differently. To me, there is no winner or loser.

Whatever present the winner gets is mostly measured in material items...things that could fade, die or become irrelevant. I'd rather place value on what is irreplaceable...the lesson I learnt from the experience.

Again, it's your opinion and what you believe in. No qualms.

Chai, I just dey play with you naa!!! Smile small
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Caracta(f): 8:29pm On Jan 16, 2015
theorbiters:

Chai, I just dey play with you naa!!! Smile small

Lol...you obviously don't know me.

Just trying to lift some people's spirit. I don't want anyone to feel bad afterwards. This may be someone's first competition.

@oahray tongue
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:34pm On Jan 16, 2015
Caracta:
Easy now whitemosquito.

Reviews should come later on...i think.

Let the judges decide.

Each entry can be reviewed (if possible). I believe the aim of the competition is to learn and develop the writing skill.

There is no winner. There is no loser. There should be an outline of rules flouted and the reason(s) the contestant didn't (or did) get the prize. I believe the judges can handle that pretty well (with constructive criticisms).

It's ok sweetheart. You've done well. Sheathe your sword and breathe easy.

Good job everyone.
That's exactly what I had planned....
But who won't take umbrage at someone second guessing my motives, hinting at foul play, throwing false accusations and vague implications?
This is the first contest I've ever organised/participated in, I've even bent over backwards so as to accommodate popular demand... then some fellow walks in and makes a sweeping generalization - nl contest rules are always refined.
Honestly Caracta, that got my goat.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Oahray: 8:40pm On Jan 16, 2015
Caracta:

Lol...you obviously don't know me.

Just trying to lift some people's spirit. I don't want anyone to feel bad afterwards. This may be someone's first competition.

@oahray tongue
lol. Thanks for lifting my spirit too smiley
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Oahray: 8:41pm On Jan 16, 2015
*gladly drags someone's goat across thread* cheesy

3 Likes

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by chrisviral(m): 8:43pm On Jan 16, 2015
Caracta:

That's a sorry case...

Point 1 grin cheesy

Nevertheless, I need that money Ma'am... you owe me a favour wink
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by chrisviral(m): 8:46pm On Jan 16, 2015
Oahray:
*gladly drags someone's goat across thread* cheesy

First time I'm seeing a lady that owns a goat!
But wait! Why did you get to her goat naa? grin cheesy
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Oahray: 9:05pm On Jan 16, 2015
chrisviral:

First time I'm seeing a lady that owns a goat!
But wait! Why did you get to her goat naa? grin cheesy
em... They always tell me that my head looks like corn (whether na the cob or seed, I no know). I guess that's why cheesy
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Caracta(f): 9:21pm On Jan 16, 2015
whitemosquito:
That's exactly what I had planned....
But who won't take umbrage at someone second guessing my motives, hinting at foul play, throwing false accusations and vague implications?
This is the first contest I've ever organised/participated in, I've even bent over backwards so as to accommodate popular demand... then some fellow walks in and makes a sweeping generalization - nl contest rules are always refined.
Honestly Caracta, that got my goat.

Shuuush! It's ok now. I mean it!

I can imagine that your baby face...can you even frown without pouting? tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

Love, No Inhibitions / Circle Of Three. / Abdulrazak Gurnah Wins 2021 Nobel Prize In Literature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.