Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore (830 Views)

The People Perish For Lack Of Knowledge- VANGUARD / Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? / Why Do So Many Nigerians Have Such Deep Hatred And Rage Toward Akatas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore by Lucario007(m): 8:37pm On Dec 26, 2014
In our ever changing world and society, there are multiple skills or abilities which should not be taken for granted. As some of these abilities may one day end up saving your life.

Here's a brief rundown of the list.

5: Self Defense
This skill is essential for anyone and everyone, but particularly ladies who would require a little bit of protection from attempted harm by miscreants. Now I'm not saying that you need to be a black belt or to be capable of pulling off Jackie Chan level kung fu, but to have the basic moves needed to defend yourself if attacked, and how to unarm an armed assailant with a melee weapon. Especially now that election is around the corner and walking alone at night would be the fastest way to find yourself upside down in a shrine with an old man chanting incantations while pouring chicken blood on your face. grin

4. Knowledge of Basic Emergency Procedures:

Should you be chilling in a nice joint when suddenly the roof and building catches fire, what do you do?
Or should your shirt or trouser or coat catch on fire, do you have an idea of how to put it out if there is no water nearby? The Nigerian answer would be to run like hell, or dance Shoki to the flames.
These are the types of scenarios that require thinking and forehand knowledge of how to react sharply in such cases. Don't use elevators in a fire, and if caught on fire, stop, drop, and roll. Such tactics are taught overseas to children in fire drills and lessons, unfortunately the Nigerian secondary school syllabus does not cover such essential knowledge.

3.Basic Knowledge/Application of First Aid:
Should a car accident occur, most people would instantly try to drag the victims out of the wreckage, and in the process, in case of serious injury the victim might get WORSE as they drag him out due to a mistake in dragging or improper care of a wounded limb. I've seen a case where they dragged someone out with his arms and ended up snapping the neck by mistake. Or, do you know the right antivenom to use If bitten by a snake and no hospital is nearby? Or perhaps how to bandage a broken arm or leg? These are basic applications of first aid which may eithee save your life or someone else's.

2. Basic Survival Knowledge
While no one is asking you to go for Gulder Ultimate Search, basic knowledge of how to live off the land is needed in case of emergency or when stranded with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. Some people can't tell the difference between vegetables leaf and poison ivy if it was in front of them. Basic survival tips such as how to set up a camp, make a fire without matches or even how to run away from wild animals who intend to make you their next dinner. This skill is a must.

1.Aquatic Movement Capabilities(Swimming):
I'm pretty sure most people were expecting something like driving, knitting, sewing or even climbing trees like a monkey as number one, but the too of my list goes to swimming. Unsurprisingly, the percentage of Nigerians who are excellent swimmers lie to the areas near the sea or near large masses of water. People in Abuja, Sokoto, Jos and other inland states will be less likely able to swim as those from Lagos, Delta or Port Harcourt. Regardless, swimming is a number one skill that everyone should possess. Even if you claim that not even the evil spirits of your village will make you enter a boat, it never hurts to Learn to be able to swim.

And so, that's my list. If you have any questions or ideas that you feel should have been on this list, feel free to drop your opinions.

And.... Happy holidays.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore by SweetyZinta(f): 9:05pm On Dec 26, 2014
its quite important 2 note all dat but i tot u were actually gonna teach us those skills but u never did. U try sha
Re: Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore by Lucario007(m): 9:06pm On Dec 26, 2014
More.

Re: Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore by Lucario007(m): 9:10pm On Dec 26, 2014
SweetyZinta:
its quite important 2 note all dat but i tot u were actually gonna teach us those skills but u never did. U try sha
I would love to.... Unfortunately they are all practical. smiley

Re: Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 9:29pm On Dec 26, 2014
Great
Re: Top Five Important Lifetime Skills That Many Nigerians Lack/Ignore by Emmyk(m): 12:42am On Dec 27, 2014
Lucario007:
In our ever changing world and society, there are multiple skills or abilities which should not be taken for granted. As some of these abilities may one day end up saving your life.

Here's a brief rundown of the list.

5: Self Defense
This skill is essential for anyone and everyone, but particularly ladies who would require a little bit of protection from attempted harm by miscreants. Now I'm not saying that you need to be a black belt or to be capable of pulling off Jackie Chan level kung fu, but to have the basic moves needed to defend yourself if attacked, and how to unarm an armed assailant with a melee weapon. Especially now that election is around the corner and walking alone at night would be the fastest way to find yourself upside down in a shrine with an old man chanting incantations while pouring chicken blood on your face. grin
Classic! cheesy grin cheesy grin
Nice points to note. However, you need to have basic Communication skills too. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Heavy Fire Outbreak @ Nkpor Junction / Stowaway Discovered On Plane Bound For London After Taking Selfie / The Changing Dynamics Of The Telecommunications Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.