Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? (24428 Views)

Ladies! When You Are Praying For A Husband And You Finally Got This / General Yakubu Gowon In 1973 Shaking Hands With Baby Justin Trudeau / Shaking Hands Experience Nawadays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 14, 2013
I ve seen/witnessed this in many occasions, in a synagogue of friends, colleagues or attendants, whenever a man enters, he seems to greet and shake the hands of fellow men first before acknowledging the presence of women. is this an African tradition or just a societal norm?

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by wynston(m): 5:11pm On Oct 14, 2013
it's an african culture, it's not right to shake a woman

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by ekanDamie: 5:13pm On Oct 14, 2013
wynston: it's an african culture, it's not right to shake a woman
dont mind dem and the stupid local girls wunt let us hug dem n give dem side kisses. Mtchew

11 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 14, 2013
Because most Men are chauvinistic...just a Little

8 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 14, 2013

really? can you emphasise more on that, maybe i ve been disobeying the culture
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by homesteady(m): 5:37pm On Oct 14, 2013

Ogbeni! I've never heard of that culture oh!

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 5:39pm On Oct 14, 2013
Two men did that to me today. They're their great grand fathers reincarnated undecided

I'm used to it, some say they don't shake women but hug them instead. I tell them i don't hug men but shake their hands.

Now i just nod in response to a greeting. No time undecided

***I wonder if they refuse to shake hands with a female employer tho.

14 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by ekanDamie: 5:41pm On Oct 14, 2013
uj_sizzle: Two men did that to me today. They're their great grand fathers reincarnated undecided

I'm used to it, some say they don't shake women but hug them instead. I tell them i don't hug men but shake their hands.

Now i just nod in response to a greeting. No time undecided

***I wonder if they refuse to shake hands with a female employer tho.
and i can swear dat ur not even fine o

20 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 14, 2013
I don't know about "ignore" o. In Igboland, it is traditional to greet men first and in order of age and position, if one knows their ages or attainments. Then the women are greeted in the same fashion. I daresay every culture is alike in this regard. You would greer the President of the United States before the First Lady, wouldn't you? Perhaps you'll greet her before the Vice President and Secretary of State, but would that not be because she's the President's Wife?

I don't think it is disrespect to greet men before ladies. But I don't make an issue of it or go out of my way to do it.

As for handshakes, I think it's strictly cultural. In one culture men are greeted one way and women are greeted another. In another, they may be greeted the exact same way. It's less a question of disrespect and more one of identity - an acknowledgment of difference of gender which is not a bad thing in and of itself.

9 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Mynd44: 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
^^^
What are you on about? The OP meant if a guy sees a bunch of guys and some girls, naturally, he would shake their hands irrespective of whether he knows them or not if they are all guys but some men ignore the ladies.

I have noticed this and don't know why. I don't do it though seems so.......pointless

8 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by homesteady(m): 6:31pm On Oct 14, 2013
ekanDamie:

Oga how fa? undecided

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 6:34pm On Oct 14, 2013
ekanDamie:
I hope you swore on your life undecided

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 6:37pm On Oct 14, 2013
Mynd_44: ^^^
What are you on about? The OP meant if a guy sees a bunch of guys and some girls, naturally, he would shake their hands irrespective of whether he knows them or not if they are all guys but some men ignore the ladies.

I have noticed this and don't know why. I don't do it though seems so.......pointless
Some even act like u aren't even there undecided

4 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Mynd44: 7:01pm On Oct 14, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Don't take it personal. A lot of people can't see beyond their nose even if they are given telescopes.

Ladies do it too BTW, they might walk into a room full of people and choose to ignore everyone except the person they came to see.

24 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by 3Dimension: 7:03pm On Oct 14, 2013
IMO the way we nigerians 'shake hands' is not really polite or let me say right. U see a guy raising is palm far above is head because of a mere greeting.. U don't wanna do that to the lady.

The white man (whose culture we are imbibing) would greet a lady either with a hug, soft kiss to the back of her palm or a peck. All this above listed aren't 'our culture' and tramples on our ego has men expcept the hug which most women would rather deny u or prefer a side hug.

Sometimes I wonder if someone had told them that they can be impregnated with justa hug.

9 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Emmyk(m): 7:18pm On Oct 14, 2013
Some ladies dont like it.

I have seen situations whereby a guy stretched his hand, and lady be like "no, I dont shake, sorry".

Awkward moment aye! cheesycheesy.

These ladies were in hijab...

So, as a sharp guy, you will be cagey not to stretch anyhow next time wink

buh me I'm cool with both, I shake 'em or hug 'em. cheesycheesy

11 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 14, 2013
Mynd_44: ^^^

Dude, here's what the op said or implied: some guys ignore ladies when they greet a gathering of both sexes. That was what the title alleged and which I said that I know nothing about.

Then the op itself stated that these guys don't actually ignore the ladies completely, they just greet them after they greet the guys. To that I said, it's generally a cultural more and illustrated with the Igbo.

The issue of handshakes is less a response to the op itself and more an address of a spin-off from it which another poster talked about.

Do you see what I'm on about now?

7 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Enegod(m): 7:30pm On Oct 14, 2013
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 14, 2013
uj_sizzle:
I hope you swore on your life undecided

grin grin grin grin
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 14, 2013
uj_sizzle:

Not to defend them or anything like that, but some of the guys you spoke of are shy of ladies or of beautiful ones or of accomplished ones. Not very manly, yes, and rather irritating, but fact. Others simply couldn't be bothered to accord womanhood even respect due humanity. So you shouldn't take it too seriously. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
Mynd_44:
Don't take it personal. A lot of people can't see beyond their nose even if they are given telescopes.

Ladies do it too BTW, they might walk into a room full of people and choose to ignore everyone except the person they came to see.

A lot? Why a lot? I haven't encountered that many men who won't shake a woman's hand or greet her somehow. You tryna be special or something, dude? grin

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 14, 2013
Emmyk: Some ladies dont like it.

I have seen situations whereby a guy stretched his hand, and lady be like "no, I dont shake, sorry".

Awkward moment aye! cheesycheesy.

These ladies were in hijab...

So, as a sharp guy, you will be cagey not to stretch anyhow next time wink

buh me I'm cool with both, I shake 'em or hug 'em. cheesycheesy

Yup. There was this friend of mine wouldn't shake a guy's hand or hug him. She could frost over a guy's greeting, mehn!
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Mynd44: 7:58pm On Oct 14, 2013
Ihedinobi:

A lot? Why a lot? I haven't encountered that many men who won't shake a woman's hand or greet her somehow. You tryna be special or something, dude? grin
Maybe you need to go out more dude.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 14, 2013
Mynd_44:
Maybe you need to go out more dude.

Oh I don't know. Like, out where? Clubs? Beaches? Cinemas? Parties? Where, dude? Where do you find "a lot of guys" who won't shake a woman's hand or greet her somehow?

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 15, 2013
3Dimension: IMO the way we nigerians 'shake hands' is not really polite or let me say right. U see a guy raising is palm far above is head because of a mere greeting.. U don't wanna do that to the lady.

The white man (whose culture we are imbibing) would greet a lady either with a hug, soft kiss to the back of her palm or a peck. All this above listed aren't 'our culture' and tramples on our ego has men expcept the hug which most women would rather deny u or prefer a side hug.

Sometimes I wonder if someone had told them that they can be impregnated with justa hug.

I understand you, i ve seen ladies ignore hand shakes, just like someone said, she only nodded in response to the greeting and the guy was standing like mumu with his rejected palm. grin
but that still doesnt justify why most men skip ladies during hand shake.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 15, 2013
uj_sizzle:

so true, in a seated queue of people some men would shake a man, skip the next seated lady, continues with men.... i wonder

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Sllowppoisoon: 6:35pm On Oct 15, 2013
Not all ladies accept handshake(most ladies dat do accept handshake frm guys are ugly tongue ) ,, sum guys jus dnt wanna disgrace themselves... undecided

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by xynerise: 6:38pm On Oct 15, 2013
I shake and side hug a lady. But in the midst of guys, I have to greet my guys first in our normal style before I greet the ladies.

Respect the guys first, we are the head tongue

8 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by ayili: 6:42pm On Oct 15, 2013
I wander why women want an equal guy guy hard handshake

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by lincolnj88: 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2013
Abeg nor go try dis shaking of hands enta where fulani girls are sitted oh....make dem nor ampute dat hand oh
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by victorazy(m): 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2013
They maybe inferior I guess

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“Wrapper Marathon’’: Man Treks From Lagos To Abuja / What Have You Lost Interest In? / Incredible Woman: Story Of Nigeria’s First Blind Photographer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.