Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,896 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? (3335 Views)

Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight / Why Did Jesus Die / Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:08pm On Dec 27, 2014
Did Jesus die on a cross or a stake?

http://carm.org/stake-or-cross
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:38pm On Dec 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus died on a cross, not a torture stake as the Jehovah Witnesses teach.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Answer:

Did Jesus die on a stake or a cross?
by Matt Slick

Jesus died on a cross and not a stake. In particular, the non-Christian cult of the Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus died on a stake, not a cross.1 It really does not matter on which one Jesus died. The issue is whether or not He shed His blood for our sins.

The Greek word used in many Bibles which is translated into "cross" is the Greek word "stauros" which means, "an upright stake, esp. a pointed one, a cross."2 If a stake were used, instead of a cross, then Jesus' hands would have been placed above His head with a nail driven through His wrists. Since the wrists would most likely overlap, only one nail is needed through both wrists. However, John 20:25 says,

"The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe."

Notice the use of the word nails (plural) in reference to hands (plural). It makes far more sense to say that Jesus was crucified on a cross with outstretched hands and one nail in each hand placed above each other on a stake. That is why it says " . . . in his hands the print of the nails . . . "

Therefore, it is most logical to state that Jesus died on a cross with outstretched arms.

One last thing, the Jehovah's Witnesses will say that the cross is a pagan symbol, but that is meaningless. The cross was one of the Roman Empire's methods of execution. It would be like saying that the electric chair is a pagan symbol. It isn't. It is just a means of execution.

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:44am On Sep 20, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by sonofluc1fer: 11:35am On Sep 20, 2016
Could have been hit by a car for all I care. How is it my business?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by hahn(m): 11:42am On Sep 20, 2016
Jesus never existed undecided

Even spiderman movies are more accurate in detail tongue

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:27pm On Sep 20, 2016
hahn:

Jesus never existed undecided

Even spiderman movies are more accurate in detail tongue

If Jesus never existed why are you enraged about Him?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by hahn(m): 3:55pm On Sep 20, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Lol. Is there another meaning to enraged? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by ValentineMary(m): 4:42pm On Sep 20, 2016
The death of Jesus is irrelevant to humanity. How can a man who died 2,000 years ago claim to die for my sins let'a do the logic here. 2,000 yeara ago, I was not born. And nobody living today was born so it means we were not existing 2,000 years ago. So it simply means Jesus died for non existing people. Hmmm that's funny because why would unexisting people be guilty of sin

Some would claim we were sinners before we were conceived. If that's the case, then the sin is God fault and not mine. Because before I was born, I was unconscious. So can an unconscious person have commited sin seriously xtians have ti upgrade their bible. They are quickly losing members (Which I think is a good thing grin )
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by ValentineMary(m): 4:46pm On Sep 20, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The catholic church alone have killed millions because of Jesus. Not to talk of the people that died in catholic pentecostal wars. All for an irrelevant Jesus.

But I don't see people killing for unicorns. Or do you
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by oaroloye(m): 6:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
SHALOM!

OLAADEGBU:

If Yahshua had died on a STAKE, there should have been moves throughout History by independent Protestants, to correct Rome's Error.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:49pm On Sep 21, 2016
hahn:

Lol. Is there another meaning to enraged? undecided

Irate, angry, indignation, wrath and fury. cool
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52pm On Sep 21, 2016
ValentineMary:

The death of Jesus is irrelevant to humanity. How can a man who died 2,000 years ago claim to die for my sins let'a do the logic here. 2,000 yeara ago, I was not born. And nobody living today was born so it means we were not existing 2,000 years ago. So it simply means Jesus died for non existing people. Hmmm that's funny because why would unexisting people be guilty of sin

Some would claim we were sinners before we were conceived. If that's the case, then the sin is God fault and not mine. Because before I was born, I was unconscious. So can an unconscious person have commited sin seriously xtians have ti upgrade their bible. They are quickly losing members (Which I think is a good thing grin )

If the death of Jesus is irrelevant why do you use 2016 AD as a point of reference? Why don't you scrap your date of birth if you feel it is not relevant? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2016
ValentineMary:

The catholic church alone have killed millions because of Jesus. Not to talk of the people that died in catholic pentecostal wars. All for an irrelevant Jesus.

But I don't see people killing for unicorns. Or do you

People die for their convictions in the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and I don't see people die for fairy tales. cool
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:56pm On Sep 21, 2016
oaroloye:

SHALOM!

If Yahshua had died on a STAKE, there should have been moves throughout History by independent Protestants, to correct Rome's Error.

Can you from Scriptures decipher whether the Lord Jesus was crucified on a stake or a cross?
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by hahn(m): 4:24pm On Sep 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Irate, angry, indignation, wrath and fury. cool

If you add psycopathic, mass murderer you will get Jehovah cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:28pm On Sep 21, 2016
hahn:

If you add psycopathic, mass murderer you will get Jehovah cheesy grin

Do you believe Jehovah exists? undecided

1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by hahn(m): 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do you believe Jehovah exists? undecided

Of course not. But you do. Do you know how it is when a kid flips his hand like spiderman and you act like you got caught in a web? You know that spiderman and the whole web thing aren't real but you act like it is to make the child happy. You know children and their imaginary friends wink

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:57pm On Sep 21, 2016
hahn:

Of course not. But you do. Do you know how it is when a kid flips his hand like spiderman and you act like you got caught in a web? You know that spiderman and the whole web thing aren't real but you act like it is to make the child happy. You know children and their imaginary friends wink

You don't believe that He exists and yet you are hating on Him. Why don't you hate on your spiderman the way you are all over the 'God that does not exist'? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by hahn(m): 7:33pm On Sep 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You don't believe that He exists and yet you are hating on Him. Why don't you hate on your spiderman the way you are all over the 'God that does not exist'? undecided

I cannot hate spiderman but I will get pissed off when the kids grows older and still believes that spiderman is real to the extent he goes around knocking doors and preaching the news of "spiderman" and threatening people with eternal damnation for not believing spiderman is real. Wouldn't you? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 21, 2016
sonofluc1fer:
Could have been hit by a car for all I care. How is it my business?
lmao! grin grin
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by ValentineMary(m): 9:15am On Sep 22, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If the death of Jesus is irrelevant why do you use 2016 AD as a point of reference? Why don't you scrap your date of birth if you feel it is not relevant? undecided
If the Roman Gods are irrelevant to u, why do u use Monday?? why not scrap it out.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by ValentineMary(m): 9:16am On Sep 22, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

People die for their convictions in the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and I don't see people die for fairy tales. cool
My point is that for the fact people are willing to do terrible things for an imaginary deity, is enough for me to talk about him.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by raphieMontella: 1:20pm On Sep 22, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

this is wrong sire...
Modern usage of ''BCE and CE'' is still accepted other than basically AD and BC....
Also..the use of jesus's alledged birth mark to mark years began years later and was not complete until the 15th century..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_calendars

The first six centuries after the birth of jesus,,europeans used local systems to count years,,usually regnal years modeled on the old testament..
In other cases creation dating was also used..
T was until the sixth century that dionysius devised the ''AD''..and thats when that system started...
By then christianity had been common by the actions of uncle constantine,,rome and accomodation of pagan stuffs to make christianity more desiring...
Also..jesus birth is c.4BC not 1BC..so its not basically him.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:00am On Sep 29, 2016
oaroloye:

SHALOM!

What was Rome's error? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:08am On Sep 29, 2016
hahn:

I cannot hate spiderman but I will get pissed off when the kids grows older and still believes that spiderman is real to the extent he goes around knocking doors and preaching the news of "spiderman" and threatening people with eternal damnation for not believing spiderman is real. Wouldn't you? undecided

Only you atheists believed in the existence of 'spiderman' and you have now graduated into believing in the invisible pink unicorn rather than living in the real world. cool
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:11am On Sep 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

If the Roman Gods are irrelevant to u, why do u use Monday?? why not scrap it out.

Why do you think we have a 7 day week and not 9 or 10? Let's see if you are smart. cool
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:14am On Sep 29, 2016
ValentineMary:

My point is that for the fact people are willing to do terrible things for an imaginary deity, is enough for me to talk about him.

And my point is the fact that people are willing to die for their conviction of life, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ and not an imaginary deity. Are you willing to suffer persecution and die for the invisible pink unicorn? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:21am On Sep 29, 2016
raphieMontella:

this is wrong sire...
Modern usage of ''BCE and CE'' is still accepted other than basically AD and BC....
Also..the use of jesus's alledged birth mark to mark years began years later and was not complete until the 15th century..
https://en.m.wikipedia. org/wiki/History_of_calendars

The first six centuries after the birth of jesus,,europeans used local systems to count years,,usually [url=https://en.m .wikipedia.org/wiki/Regnal_year]regnal years[/url] modeled on the old testament..
In other cases [url=https://en.m. wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Mundi]creation dating[/url] was also used..
T was until the sixth century that dionysius devised the ''AD''..and thats when that system started...
By then christianity had been common by the actions of uncle constantine,,rome and accomodation of pagan stuffs to make christianity more desiring...
Also..jesus birth is c.4BC not 1BC..so its not basically him.

The fact is that all the years before Christ is BC and all the years after Him is AD either you like it or not. If you atheists like change it to BCE or CE the fact remains that history remains His story and you cannot deny that fact even if you try. cool
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by hahn(m): 10:40am On Sep 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Only you atheists believed in the existence of 'spiderman' and you have now graduated into believing in the invisible pink unicorn rather than living in the real world. cool

Coming from someone who believes in a dead jew or a pedophilic arabian I can understand how the point in bringing up the pink unicorn and spiderman eludes you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by ValentineMary(m): 11:24am On Sep 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

And my point is the fact that people are willing to die for their conviction of life, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ and not an imaginary deity. Are you willing to suffer persecution and die for the invisible pink unicorn? undecided
Do u believe Atman the Hindu God is real I don't think so. But there are 1 billion people willing to die for him. Because people are moved by emotions to take radical steps does not make it true.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? by ValentineMary(m): 11:31am On Sep 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Why do you think we have a 7 day week and not 9 or 10? Let's see if you are smart. cool

The number seven had a mystical significance to
Babylonians. It was associated with the seven
heavenly bodies; the Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury,
Jupiter, Venus and Saturn.
For this reason, some believe, marking rituals
every seventh-day became important. A seven-
day week based on these same celestial bodies
was adopted as far away as Japan and ancient
China.
Seven is also important in Judaism, where the
creation story is told over seven days. But unlike
other cultures, in Hebrew the days of the week
are assigned numbers not the names of gods,
festivals, elements or planets - the only
exception is Saturday, Yom Shabbat ( יום שבת )
which means Sabbath.
But the popularity of the seven-day week - and
its prominence in modern calendars - can be
traced to its adoption by the Romans.

Source: www.bbc.co.uk/religion/0/20394641

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Challenge Pastordavidawuj To Answer My Questions On His Claims / Int'l Passport Of JW Past Presidents J.f.rutherford & Nathan Knor / See What Happened To Pastor Chris And Anita After The Divorce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.