Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,866 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? (4581 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:29am On Dec 30, 2014
Sincerely, coming to Nairaland religion section as a christian or believer in God exposes one to a lot of shocking anti-religious sentiments, especially from atheists. I was even surprised to find out that we have satanists in Nigeria.

Even before coming to nairaland, I had some challenges with my faith. One of the strongest challenges to my faith was reading the sentiments of my fellow American writers. I used to write for an American website and my editor had a strong dislike for religion. He complained that religion was poisoning American politics because they elect useless politicians who use their faith as a campaign strategy. He also mentioned the problems of teaching nonsense like creationism and the christian foundation of America to children. This was my boss and I had to endure all his rants. Some of the things he said were actually true, for instance, the christian support for Sarah Palin was strong- and Sarah Palin is a joke that almost became Vice president of the USA.

Another thing that recently challenged my faith was the movie "interstellar". The movie is about space and how man is trying to find a hospitable planet due to the fact that earth would soon be inhospitable. The disturbing question that was in my mind after the movie was; WHAT ABOUT ABOUT OTHER EARTH-LIKE PLANETS- WHAT WOULD WE SAY IF WE FOUND ALIENS/HUMANS AT THE OTHER END OF OUR UNIVERSE?

I also had a another question about space and time. I wondered why God never mentioned such things to us that could be helpful. It took us humans thousands of years to find out many things about space. We didnt know that there were other galaxies, we didn't know that the universe is so vast and that time is relative.

Notwithstanding, I still believe in God. We don't know what lies beyond our universe and the bible tells us that God's time is the best. I believe that God is the patient father watching his children from behind the curtains as they learn about their environment with their toys; God is silently watching us learn about our universe with science.

3 Likes

Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by elantraceey(f): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2014
yes it has but not from nl
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2014
elantraceey:
yes it has but not from nl

Pls elaborate.....
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by davien(m): 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:
Sincerely, coming to Nairaland religion section as a christian or believer in God exposes one to a lot of shocking anti-religious sentiments, especially from atheists. I was even surprised to find out that we have satanists in Nigeria.

Even before coming to nairaland, I had some challenges with my faith. One of the strongest challenges to my faith was reading the sentiments of my fellow American writers. I used to write for an American website and my editor had a strong dislike for religion. He complained that religion was poisoning American politics because they elect useless politicians who use their faith as a campaign strategy. He also mentioned the problems of teaching nonsense like creationism and the christian foundation of America to children. This was my boss and I had to endure all his rants. Some of the things he said were actually true, for instance, the christian support for Sarah Palin was strong- and Sarah Palin is a joke that almost became Vice president of the USA.

Another thing that recently challenged my faith was the movie "interstellar". The movie is about space and how man is trying to find a hospitable planet due to the fact that earth would soon be inhospitable. The disturbing question that was in my mind after the movie was; WHAT ABOUT ABOUT OTHER EARTH-LIKE PLANETS- WHAT WOULD WE SAY IF WE FOUND ALIENS/HUMANS AT THE OTHER END OF OUR UNIVERSE?

I also had a another question about space and time. I wondered why God never mentioned such things to us that could be helpful. It took us humans thousands of years to find out many things about space. We didnt know that there were other galaxies, we didn't know that the universe is so vast and that time is relative.

Notwithstanding, I still believe in God. We don't know what lies beyond our universe and the bible tells us that God's time is the best. I believe that God is the patient father watching his children from behind the curtains as they learn about their environment with their toys; God is silently watching us learn about our universe with science.

Are you serious or is this a copy-paste work?
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:19pm On Dec 30, 2014
davien:
Are you serious or is this a copy-paste work?

I wrote everything myself. It is my story. My belief.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by davien(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

I wrote everything myself. It is my story. My belief.
If your boss told you about creationism(especially ken ham),fundamentalism and you are an inquisitive fellow then how aren't you disgusted by christian zealotry?
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2014
In the beginning there were Gods. Without faith and hope, all that is left is depressing darkness and no purpose.

1 Like

Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:42pm On Dec 30, 2014
davien:
If your boss told you about creationism(especially ken ham),fundamentalism and you are an inquisitive fellow then how aren't you disgusted by christian zealotry?

Not all Christians are zealots or bigots
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:43pm On Dec 30, 2014
sonOfLucifer:
In the beginning there were Gods. Without faith and hope, all that is left is depressing darkness and no purpose.

How is this related to the op?
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

How is this related to the op?
You lack understanding. To lose faith in God is to lose faith in yourself; to deny your very existence.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by davien(m): 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Correct...but the doctrine is bigoted. undecided
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
davien:
Correct...but the doctrine is bigoted. undecided

Which doctrine? I don't follow
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

All Christians are zealots and bigots. Those who aren't do not follow the Bible properly.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

You lack understanding. To lose faith in God is to lose faith in yourself; to deny your very existence.

I still believe in God. Still a christian.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by davien(m): 1:49pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Which doctrine? I don't follow
The biblical doctrine.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

All Christians are zealots and bigots. Those who aren't do not follow the Bible properly.

I should take the word of a satanist? I see you dislike Christians. May God help you.

You do not see me disturbing your Satanic threads and so, how am I a bigot?
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:53pm On Dec 30, 2014
davien:
The biblical doctrine.

I see. What is next, you are going to use the old testament to support your atheist arguments against the bible......

Don't worry, I am getting used to the tactics of atheists here.

1 Like

Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by davien(m): 2:01pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

I see. What is next, you are going to use the old testament to support your atheist arguments against the bible......

Don't worry, I am getting used to the tactics of atheists here.
lol cheesy Are you now?....is the bible proof of the "christian god" or the claim about the "christian god"?
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 2:10pm On Dec 30, 2014
davien:
lol cheesy Are you now?....is the bible proof of the "christian god" or the claim about the "christian god"?

God
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by davien(m): 2:12pm On Dec 30, 2014
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2014
I see confused people
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:24pm On Dec 30, 2014
MzNelly:
I see confused people

Confused about what?
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

I should take the word of a satanist? I see you dislike Christians. May God help you.

You do not see me disturbing your Satanic threads and so, how am I a bigot?
I do not dislike Christians. I dislike darkness. Christianity has only grown more tolerant in recent times due to external influence. If a Christian followed the Bible completely, he'd be locked up in a psychiatric hospital.

5 Likes

Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:07pm On Dec 30, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

I do not dislike Christians. I dislike darkness. Christianity has only grown more tolerant in recent times due to external influence. If a Christian followed the Bible completely, he'd be locked up in a psychiatric hospital.

You need to use more nuance when discussing christianity.

What you are trying to say is that there are extremists or fundamentalists that take the bible literally.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Confused about what?

Their faith in God.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:15pm On Dec 30, 2014
MzNelly:

Their faith in God.

I see. So you are telling me that your faith hasn't been challenged?

I hope you know that the bible says that true faith is refined through fire (trials).
Faith must be tested.
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by malvisguy212: 6:32pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Confused about what?

yes, you are confused about Christianity, Christianity is not a religion, it a relationship with God.

To know which religion is from God,read here https://www.nairaland.com/1999485/all-religions-lead-god-one
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

I see. So you are telling me that your faith hasn't been challenged?

I hope you know that the bible says that true faith is refined through fire (trials).
Faith must be tested.

Has yours ever been challenged?
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
MzNelly:

Has yours ever been challenged?

Kindly read the op again

3 Likes

Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 30, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Kindly read the op again

Touche
Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
malvisguy212:
yes, you are confused about Christianity, Christianity is not a religion, it a relationship with God.

To know which religion is from God,read here https://www.nairaland.com/1999485/all-religions-lead-god-one

You should be careful before passing judgement.

I am a true christian

1 Like

Re: Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? by emmyskies(m): 10:20pm On Dec 30, 2014
Recently heard something like science tryna study planet mars more for possible future human occupation.
Na so science name the other eight planets after gods.

Back to the topic: op, pls read your Bible. Read more of your Bible and trust pray more.
King James version Bible only pls

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Malachy Predicted Francis Will Be The Last Pope / It Started With Sex An Eating In D Dream. Now My Health Is In Chaos / Religion Is An Opium To Those Who Fall Into It!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.