Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! (1112 Views)

Make Real Cash Through This Web Hosting Website $5 Per Referral. / Clients Who Cheat Web Designers After Getting A Demo / Interswitch Payment Option Now Available For Our Nigerian Clients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by roaringlamb01(m): 1:12pm On Dec 31, 2014

From my experience, I have come to realize that trust is a very important of any business and the partners in whatever business it might be.
There is general distrust in "web designer" ("web developer", as many people like to think they are so different). You only have to read through the web section on here on Nairaland to understand what I am saying. Some argue that, there are poor designers, quark if you like. Other say the charges are too high... and that is because of the varying prices in development among these "designers"... And that is funny because, just now, I saw someone give a "so-called" xmas promo of N10,000...

I was like "what the hell?" Would anyone really patronize this guy? If yes, then the client shouldn't expect any quality stuff from them. Really, tis just a rip off... But trust me, clients will still fall for it. why? Well, Nigerians like cheaper things...

Designing a web site isn't a small thing... But no prospective clients wants to hear that. Results is all they are after and of course, we understand that. But you must understand that every web site is different. One guy, an interior decorator (a Nigerian abroad,maybe twas more expensive over there. lol) sent me a mail with a link to a site and said to "copy" it exactly... I have met some interesting people.
Now, that doesn't sound cool... You can't just copy another site... I don't do it. You can maybe copy the concepts and ideas. Yes! both not like for like. Tis just wrong. (pls feel free to share whatever weird requests any clients have asked for).

Also, you must understand the difference between all the grammar that everyone says about dynamic website, static, e-commerce, content managment systems (CMS), wordpress, joomla and all those other big big grammar... Some are just the same.
Plus, we can easily spot when you just read up stuff on the internet and don't really know what you are saying or mean.

Another person sent me a mail and asked for my pin. While chatting, he said he wanted a "dynamic website". I thought nothing to it, I just believed he knew what he might. He paid half two days later to begin the job. Two weeks later, after hosting his site, he saw it and pinned to say it wasn't "dynamic" enough. Boy was i glad he wasn't on my side of the phone. Because, I was first shocked before I laughed(forgive me).
So, i asked him for what he understand that word to me. He didn't have a clear answer, just that it wasn't dynamic enough. Thank God for wisdom...

See, every site is different. When you pay N10,000 for a website you are getting the "popular static web site" (which, I can never really understand. as even static web sites aren't even worth the trouble. Plus I absolutely don't see the monetary gain in it. Maybe, there is something I don't know on the streets).

Static site are just plain websites... empty... ugly... boring... to put it mildly. No one, in this century, wants that.

Dynamic websites is just a term, to me though. If it isn't static than it is dynamic. The rest is bobo.

But if you run off thinking something else... Know that, dynamic sites vary in functionality... Hence, attract different fees.
You can compare sites like Jumia to Nairaland, for example. The functions are different. Jumia has shopping carts, MasterCards or let me call it payment gateways build into it... Nairaland doesn't. Both they both have databases, a basic for dynamic sites.

It is good to ask question from your prospective designers, and try to understand them. Tis the surest to really pick out who knows his stuff.
Our portfolios help, but isn't the surest way. Try to meet them (us) in person. Although, my last two were through the phone and via e-mail...
Try to establish terms of business. like how much upfront, how much at what stage, try to explain what you want, your designer will do the necessary things... mailing list, contact form linked straight to your phone, clean navigation... and so forth. Depending on the functionality of the site you desire...

What are Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, Magneto (or whatever)... they are just the same.
They are backend systems, popularly called "content management systems". And they are based on individual preferences... I love wordpress, simply because i have been following their development over the years...
Quickly, a CMS is a software installed on a web server with an admin login page for you to write and create posts, pages, menus, update commercial item sales... All by yourself (although, tis still tricky. you might need a few months to get adjusting to it).
Normally without it, for any adjustments or updates, you must call your web developer... He has to go back to the web server to upload these files or update the databases... More money for us! It is what many people do now, it is easier for both parties. Although, it still involves a good knowledge of php...

what about marketing strategies? Or traffic building?

As simple as these words look, they are the most important part of any web site, be it a blog or online market.
For example, I am not sure if you are familiar with what Konga.com looked like a few years ago... Pretty ugly, no offense. But that didn't stop them from marketing... they built in their traffic... now, the site has been redesigned... an traffic remains the same.
You must sit down with your developer and plan... Web design isn't a joke...
I developed one for my friend's wife a few months after they had their first child (i call her my inLaw. lol. she will nearly kill me when she reads this)... www.diaryofanewmum.com a simple website with a short and long term goals. Today, i received the stats concerning her site (i always keep track of my sites, behind my clients)...
Launched October 1, she has had 4,700 views from 47 countries in all... including places like india, Germany, Kazahstan and Russia. Which is really interesting because she didn't do much in November.

I hope I have been able to help both sides... You are free to ask any questions and easy with the criticisms. Please. I know you guys.

You could also send me an email address at mayority11@gmail.com or pay a visit to my site, www.tha247webguy.com

1 Like

Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 31, 2014
pls,i intend to learn web developing/designing, what are the basic parameters i need to go by to gain a very accurate and thorough knowledge and application of it?
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by roaringlamb01(m): 2:07pm On Dec 31, 2014
blublahd:
pls,i intend to learn web developing/designing, what are the basic parameters i need to go by to gain a very accurate and thorough knowledge and application of it?
blublahd:

Hi! There are no shortcuts to it... you have to start from the very basic markup language, html5... Then get to understand css3... javascript... when you have gotten the hang of things here... you must decided for php... after which you can learn database management... Tis called mySQL... I was taught Microsoft sql too. but you can stay with mySQL.

I know that all I mentioned here looks much, and it is. But you said accurate and thorough knowledge... I tell my friends that there are no shortcuts to it.

You could get a good teacher in your area to teach you too, always works better that way while you also read up yourself.
All the best!
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by nnamdiosu(m): 4:16pm On Dec 31, 2014
roaringlamb01:

From my experience, I have come to realize that trust is a very important of any business and the partners in whatever business it might be.
There is general distrust in "web designer" ("web developer", as many people like to think they are so different). You only have to read through the web section on here on Nairaland to understand what I am saying. Some argue that, there are poor designers, quark if you like. Other say the charges are too high... and that is because of the varying prices in development among these "designers"... And that is funny because, just now, I saw someone give a "so-called" xmas promo of N10,000...

I was like "what the hell?" Would anyone really patronize this guy? If yes, then the client shouldn't expect any quality stuff from them. Really, tis just a rip off... But trust me, clients will still fall for it. why? Well, Nigerians like cheaper things...

Designing a web site isn't a small thing... But no prospective clients wants to hear that. Results is all they are after and of course, we understand that. But you must understand that every web site is different. One guy, an interior decorator (a Nigerian abroad,maybe twas more expensive over there. lol) sent me a mail with a link to a site and said to "copy" it exactly... I have met some interesting people.
Now, that doesn't sound cool... You can't just copy another site... I don't do it. You can maybe copy the concepts and ideas. Yes! both not like for like. Tis just wrong. (pls feel free to share whatever weird requests any clients have asked for).

Also, you must understand the difference between all the grammar that everyone says about dynamic website, static, e-commerce, content managment systems (CMS), wordpress, joomla and all those other big big grammar... Some are just the same.
Plus, we can easily spot when you just read up stuff on the internet and don't really know what you are saying or mean.

Another person sent me a mail and asked for my pin. While chatting, he said he wanted a "dynamic website". I thought nothing to it, I just believed he knew what he might. He paid half two days later to begin the job. Two weeks later, after hosting his site, he saw it and pinned to say it wasn't "dynamic" enough. Boy was i glad he wasn't on my side of the phone. Because, I was first shocked before I laughed(forgive me).
So, i asked him for what he understand that word to me. He didn't have a clear answer, just that it wasn't dynamic enough. Thank God for wisdom...

See, every site is different. When you pay N10,000 for a website you are getting the "popular static web site" (which, I can never really understand. as even static web sites aren't even worth the trouble. Plus I absolutely don't see the monetary gain in it. Maybe, there is something I don't know on the streets).

Static site are just plain websites... empty... ugly... boring... to put it mildly. No one, in this century, wants that.

Dynamic websites is just a term, to me though. If it isn't static than it is dynamic. The rest is bobo.

But if you run off thinking something else... Know that, dynamic sites vary in functionality... Hence, attract different fees.
You can compare sites like Jumia to Nairaland, for example. The functions are different. Jumia has shopping carts, MasterCards or let me call it payment gateways build into it... Nairaland doesn't. Both they both have databases, a basic for dynamic sites.

It is good to ask question from your prospective designers, and try to understand them. Tis the surest to really pick out who knows his stuff.
Our portfolios help, but isn't the surest way. Try to meet them (us) in person. Although, my last two were through the phone and via e-mail...
Try to establish terms of business. like how much upfront, how much at what stage, try to explain what you want, your designer will do the necessary things... mailing list, contact form linked straight to your phone, clean navigation... and so forth. Depending on the functionality of the site you desire...

What are Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, Magneto (or whatever)... they are just the same.
They are backend systems, popularly called "content management systems". And they are based on individual preferences... I love wordpress, simply because i have been following their development over the years...
Quickly, a CMS is a software installed on a web server with an admin login page for you to write and create posts, pages, menus, update commercial item sales... All by yourself (although, tis still tricky. you might need a few months to get adjusting to it).
Normally without it, for any adjustments or updates, you must call your web developer... He has to go back to the web server to upload these files or update the databases... More money for us! It is what many people do now, it is easier for both parties. Although, it still involves a good knowledge of php...

As simple as these words look, they are the most important part of any web site, be it a blog or online market.
For example, I am not sure if you are familiar with what Konga.com looked like a few years ago... Pretty ugly, no offense. But that didn't stop them from marketing... they built in their traffic... now, the site has been redesigned... an traffic remains the same.
I developed one for my friend's wife a few months after they had their first child (i call her my inLaw. lol. she will nearly kill me when she reads this)... www.diaryofanewmum.com a simple website with a short and long term goals. Today, i received the stats concerning her site (i always keep track of my sites, behind my clients)...
Launched October 1, she has had 4,700 views from 47 countries in all... including places like india, Germany, Kazahstan and Russia. Which is really interesting because she didn't do much in November.

I hope I have been able to help both sides... You are free to ask any questions and easy with the criticisms. Please. I know you guys.

You could also send me an email address at mayority11@gmail.com or pay a visit to my site, www.tha247webguy.com

nice write up. you so nailed the hammer on the head. I learnt so much thanks. but I want to ask something is i5 really possible to send from contact form to a phone. pls can you educate me more on how to achieve this pls. thanks
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by roaringlamb01(m): 5:10pm On Dec 31, 2014
nnamdiosu:

nice write up. you so nailed the hammer on the head. I learnt so much thanks. but I want to ask something is i5 really possible to send from contact form to a phone. pls can you educate me more on how to achieve this pls. thanks

u r welcome...
I have never tried sending the details of a contact form to my phone via sms, I believe you are talking about sms right?
It should be something that can be fixed through php, and you would definitely need to be linked with an online sms service for that.
If you are using any of the CMS, there should be a plug in for that sort of thing. try something like SEContactform
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by nnamdiosu(m): 7:57pm On Dec 31, 2014
roaringlamb01:

u r welcome...
I have never tried sending the details of a contact form to my phone via sms, I believe you are talking about sms right?
It should be something that can be fixed through php, and you would definitely need to be linked with an online sms service for that.
If you are using any of the CMS, there should be a plug in for that sort of thing. try something like SEContactform
OK. thanks bro. I'm even researching on the idea too now. God bless u for dropping that idea in my mind. cheers
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by Valon4ego(m): 8:04am On Jan 01, 2015
that write up long sha undecided
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 01, 2015
Lol @Op

You do raise some valid points tho

nnamdiosu:

If you already have a bulk SMS provider, find out if they have a gateway API. They will usually have a guide on integrating it with PHP and other languages.

Cheers and Happy New Year.
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by roaringlamb01(m): 10:24pm On Jan 01, 2015
Valon4ego:
that write up long sha undecided

no vex ehn
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by nnamdiosu(m): 2:40am On Jan 02, 2015
Tizak:
Lol @Op

You do raise some valid points tho

If you already have a bulk SMS provider, find out if they have a gateway API. They will usually have a guide on integrating it with PHP and other languages.

Cheers and Happy New Year.
oh OK. thanks bro. HNY
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by cbrass(m): 11:18pm On Jan 02, 2015
@op your post reminds me of a client that asked me why his site wasn't shining shocked.I was so confused and shocked so I asked him what he meant by shining then he said he want the website to be behaving like Christmas light. Jeez... like seriously shocked a consultancy website? shocked

This days I give clients like 4 samples designs related to their website and ask them to pick before I start designing.don't want to finish a job and someone starts complaining

2 Likes

Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
cbrass:
@op your post reminds me of a client that asked me why his site wasn't shining shocked.I was so confused and shocked so I asked him what he meant by shining then he said he want the website to be behaving like Christmas light. Jeez... like seriously shocked a consultancy website? shocked

This days I give clients like 4 samples designs related to their website and ask them to pick before I start designing.don't want to finish a job and someone starts complaining
Lol.... The bolded though grin grin
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by roaringlamb01(m): 8:24pm On Jan 03, 2015
cbrass:

shining... smh...
Re: This Web Development Thing... What Clients Need To Understand. Or You! by roaringlamb01(m): 5:59pm On May 15, 2015
roaringlamb01:

yes yes

(1) (Reply)

3000 Traffic Is Enough To Generate Incomes? / SOLD / Unverified Adsense Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.