Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,628 members, 7,809,340 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

AMIDST THE DEAD - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / AMIDST THE DEAD (1170 Views)

Madam Koi Koi The Legend Of The Dead Teacher Who Haunts Sec Sch Students / The Dead / Birthday Wish For The Dead: By Urchwriter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AMIDST THE DEAD by ashakemi: 6:52pm On Dec 31, 2014
Read on with keen interest, the story parades an unfamiliar theme....read on and enjoy.

AMIDST THE DEAD

Been lonely as far back as I could remember, human companionship in all its entirety I tend to detest because it has done me no good. I sit transfixed with my eyes focused on the dead, their elusive and yet profound aura fills a void in me, this is the companionship I seem to be in dire need of.

Lifeless bodies thronged the table, each had it oddity and relative aversion, i am used to being around dead bodies, their cold and lifeless aura reminds me of how inconsequential humans can be.

I am a recluse among the living, my hatred for the living became a necessity all due to the scathes and emotional bruises I suffered from humans, this in turn intensified my inclination towards the dead... they couldn't hurt me even if they wanted to and they could be trusted. I was better off being friends with the dead than the living...

My cravings for a social niche is now being satisfied by my entourage of the dead, they stick with me in difficult times and cheer me up when am unsettled and distraught, they are pretty good listeners and their mute responses proved helpful.

...In the spirit of yuletide I thought it would be great to spend time with these breathless fellas, it would be totally unfair to leave them all alone, they were my family so I thought it wise to celebrate with them, I sang carols to their avid listening, held hands with them and stroked their hairs for those of em who had some strands left.

Humans or my kind and their inconclusive chit chats I find intolerable, with the dead it's quite different, ....the stillness, muteness and soothing peace are such rare qualities devoid of humans, in my erstwhile social life I never had peace of mind, the world always nagged at me but since I shut the world out I feel so so great, I feel at peace with myself.

Life has dealt me a strong blow so I tend to be careful around my kind, each and everyday is a thorn in my flesh, I learnt the hard way that there are less humans out there, each and everyone is out there to reap from others while leaving them to bleed out. I was betrayed by those I trusted the most, I was left to rot but in a miraculous way I survived all the ordeals hurled at me.

What the dead has offered me no human has ever been able to replicate such gesture, I left my job as a banker to become a morgue manager, I was fed up with the incessant bullying of my boss, the recurring wails of the bank customers became too much to take in, corporate back stabbing wasn't left out as over ambitious co-workers sought ways to toil your hard earned reputation, a career switch to the morgue eased my torments.

let's delve in together into my life and my love for the dead...I know this isn't a romantic piece or a jester of some sort but if you are deep then let's ride together..
Re: AMIDST THE DEAD by harjibolar10(m): 6:55pm On Dec 31, 2014
Okay... I dey this corner

Following...
Re: AMIDST THE DEAD by dkronicle(m): 7:10pm On Dec 31, 2014
i don park well op
Re: AMIDST THE DEAD by estellar12(f): 7:59pm On Dec 31, 2014
Following. :-)
Re: AMIDST THE DEAD by ashakemi: 7:59pm On Jan 18, 2015
I sat confined to my swivel chair. It felt good to be back in my comfort zone, I stood up for a while and relayed my good morning greetings to the corpses on the table,I could tell from their faces that they were delighted to see me, I gave each lifeless body a peck on the cheek before settling down to take my breakfast.

New droves were coming in this morning and this really lightened me up, I couldn't really wait to make and meet new corpse friends, a stern voice surged through from the public address system urging me to get set for the new arrivals, this meant that the corpses were coming in earlier than expected, I hurriedly dabbed my hair with some embalming liquid to hold it in place and keep the stray strands from jutting out, I directed a gust of perfume under my sweaty armpit, I quickly checked my breath for traces of any garlic laden odour, have got to look good for the new arrivals, wouldn't want them to think am unkempt though they might be dead but their senses are very much alive, and as the saying goes 'first impressions gives a total impression'.

The first corpse and occupant to come in was a bloated man in his late fifties, his eyelids were firmly shut and his fist showed signs of intense struggling as if he was trying to hold on to his dear but departing life, it showed in his file that he had been poisoned, I felt pity for him and this made me whisper some soothing words into his ears "now you are in safe hands" in turn he gave an affirmative nod or so I thought.

Next in line was a lady in her early thirties, she had a well molded jaw, her eyelashes projected out like tendrils reacting to sun beams, she was stunning even in death, her streamlined body had no discerning oddities and she had legs as straight as that of a gazelle.
She had supple lips that would make a man shudder with lust, I was forced to look into her autopsy file and to my utter shock she died from an overdose of prescription pills, it seemed that the cruel world got to her and she opted out my swallowing pills after pills till the dim curtain fell on her, I felt sorry for her but I knew she was now safe from the extremes of a wicked world.

I cupped my hands and gracefully whispered into her ears "it's okay princess, you are now in safe hands", she let out a smirk in return or so I thought.

Her corpse sparked up old memories of my once summed up but gone love life, I drifted away in my own world and old memories resurfaced back, my past seethed through with ease and so did Ashake, the woman who made a mess of my heart.
Re: AMIDST THE DEAD by ashakemi: 3:48am On Oct 05, 2015
An infantile corpse was the next in line, the kid died from exhaust fumes, his frailed skin flaked off and showed signs of oxygen deprivation, the look of pity that trailed the dead boy's face made me cry, I went out for some fresh air and came back in, I carefully carried his bare corpse and laid him on a slab, I scrubbed the flakes off and rubbed a copious amount of lotion on him. A bond was starting to grow between the kid and I.

The kid was set to celebrate his eight birthday before he was hastily summoned to a world above.
I had some plastic building blocks safely tucked away in a drawer, I had brought the lego building blocks while shopping because I thought it would one day turn out useful, I emptied the lego building blocks on the slab and urged the kid to play with them, I sat as he made cubic structures out of the plastic cubes, a deep glow resonated in my face.

The dead kid reminded me of my own kid which my erstwhile cruel lady lover Ashake took away from me, I quickly suppressed the influx of past thoughts gaining access to me. Now I have a substitute for my lost kid I thought to myself, though he might be dead but still he is a right substitute for my lost kid, no one could come and take him away from me, the thought of that alone made me happy.
Re: AMIDST THE DEAD by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 3:20pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ashakemi, can you, benign, come continue this piece? It's enthralling!
Re: AMIDST THE DEAD by ashakemi: 8:28am On Oct 18, 2015
Hello peepz happy sunday.

(1) (Reply)

My Supple Dairies / Episode 10: Chronicles Of Isioma By Joy Akosa / A Thrilling Story: Life Saver!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.