Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,236 members, 7,825,910 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better (16104 Views)

Corolla Vs Camry Andid Advice Needed / Cost Of Toyota Avensis 2005 Power Steering Pump? / Toyota Corolla 2005 Vs Lexus ES300 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by abatically(m): 8:57am On Jan 04, 2015
nurey:

My brother I didn't want to barge into you guys argument but let put it this way, my review was based on Nigerian settings, the op is not bother about the acceleration or how many cars the avensis can dust.

I have been in that avensis and I can proudly say it is not a slow poke and neither is it inferior to the camry the avensis is also as reliable as the camry interms of everything but the interior of the avensis is a tad smoother and well placed than the camry, also the avensis is not a robber magnet I gave the avensis my all putting into consideration our environment.

Which one of the two cars will have its ECU stolen or even broken in and driven away not to be seen again or which one will get tailed more by the MEN of THE UnDeRwOrLd.

Well u may be right to some extent. The Avensis was built like an European car, especially the interior and dash, looks more like a VW passat. But the driving doesn't feel anyway like the German car they tried to copy. Good thing they added an immobiliser though, I really don't know why Toyota didn't add that in the base and Le trims of 2002-2006 camry and that is why they are easy to steal.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 9:24am On Jan 04, 2015
abatically:

I don't see having fog lights as a big advantage. Even a 2014 Mercedes Benz S class doesn't have fog lights.. does that make it any inferior? XLE models of 2005 camry has fog lights. The only area I see the Avensis superior to the Camry is the number of airbags. If u think the 2005 Camry is boring to drive then the 2005 Avensis is terrible to drive. The car is slow as hell, 9.1 secs 0-60 for the 2.4L engine? No wonder pundits say the 2005 Avensis is less fun to drive than a Vectra.

Camry does have fog lights, only the LE north american variant doesn't. Camry started offering fog lights in 2002. But you are giving this guy a good argument, well done. Avensis and Camry are not in the same league at all.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Raymie(m): 11:49am On Jan 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

Camry does have fog lights, only the LE north american variant doesn't. Camry started offering fog lights in 2002. But you are giving this guy a good argument, well done. Avensis and Camry are not in the same league at all.
FYI the 02-06 Camry has always had foglights as an option regardless of trim and spec. Now comparing features on trim, tell me what edge an 05 camry has over an Avensis of same year Give me a better argument.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by nurey(m): 12:09pm On Jan 04, 2015
Op I have seen that camry infact lots of them with check engine light and they are still going strong and have been driven for years with that issue but when I see an avensis in mecho workshop it has been for body part replacement or repainting but I believe the engine is very reliable now there is an engine variant of that camry that is trouble ANYONE who knows shud help the op out. Also V6 engines kinda give mecho headaches and the camry has a V6 variant.

Now op both cars maintenance will almost be the same as the difference will be negligible what remains now is which one you fancy and go for it, just ensure you buy a clean ride and call us for car warming ceremony best of luck bro
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Raymie(m): 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
ko
nurey:
Op I have seen that camry infact lots of them with check engine light and they are still going strong and have been driven for years with that issue but when I see an avensis in mecho workshop it has been for body part replacement or repainting but I believe the engine is very reliable now there is an engine variant of that camry that is trouble ANYONE who knows shud help the op out. Also V6 engines kinda give mecho headaches and the camry has a V6 variant.
Now op both cars maintenance will almost be the same as the difference will be negligible what remains now is which one you fancy and go for it, just ensure you buy a clean ride and call us for car warming ceremony best of luck bro
Methinks its the 03 Camry (and i4 highlander) that has the engine issue. Bolts coming off engine block. Dunno the engine spec. Toyota resolved that in the 04-06 variants.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by ping2ping: 2:45pm On Jan 04, 2015
@OP, both are good cars but you have to beware of 2AF-FE engine fixed to That model of Camry and some 2005 Avensis. The engine has a peculiar issue which has been widely reported.

Personally, I will go with Avensis with 1AF-FE 2.0L engine. Very rugged, durable and prestigious. Which ever one you choose, avoid 2AF-FE engine. If you prefer Camry, consider the V6 option.

Let us know your decision.

2 Likes

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 5:09pm On Jan 04, 2015
Raymie:
koMethinks its the 03 Camry (and i4 highlander) that has the engine issue. Bolts coming off engine block. Dunno the engine spec. Toyota resolved that in the 04-06 variants.

Headbolts issue is very rare where they strip off. It's important to do your oil changes at the right intervals and all other maintenance
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 04, 2015
Fulaman198:
Headbolts issue is very rare where they strip off. It's important to do your oil changes at the right intervals and all other maintenance

Which engine is allegedly prone to stripped head bolts?

I'm Just wondering if this is more due to poor maintenance, as I have not come across this issue, despite being contracted to Toyota UK as a Diagnostic Technician.

1 Like

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 5:57pm On Jan 04, 2015
Siena:

Which engine is allegedly prone to stripped head bolts?

I'm Just wondering if this is more due to poor maintenance, as I have not come across this issue, despite being contracted to Toyota UK as a Diagnostic Technician.

He claims it was the 2AZ-FE inline 4. It is due to poor maintenance in my opinion
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

He claims it was the 2AZ-FE inline 4. It is due to poor maintenance in my opinion

I have never come across any 2AZ-FE engines with stripped head bolts.

1 Like

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 6:26pm On Jan 04, 2015
Siena:

I have never come across any 2AZ-FE engines with stripped head bolts.

Thank you
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by 100Cents: 6:47pm On Jan 04, 2015
Fulaman198:
The Camry pictured is not a 2001 Camry. It's a 2002-2006 Camry

Read and digest before commenting.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by 9icetoo(m): 8:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
I own and have driven the 02-06 camry. I have equally driven the avensis (06) model. The camry is roomier and has a better pull. Maintenance is same for both cars. Both have bullet proof engines from Toyota. However, if you like fiddling with knobs and buttons, then u might prefer the avensis. The avensis also has dual air conditioning controls in that the passenger can independently regulate his air conditioning setting. The avensis with the D4D engine can match a camry for pull though. The avensis also has a stiffer suspension setting unlike the camry which has a softer spring and suspension setting. There is nothing sporty about the two cars. Both are extremely heavy underpowered sedans. Their weight to power ratio is nothing to write home about. The stripped head bolt issue in the camry was restricted to a batch of engines made in 2003. It was an isolated case. In all though, I like the looks of the avensis and it's suspension setting but I prefer the roomy interior of the camry, bigger boot space and it's higher ground clearance.

2 Likes

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by viazi: 11:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
...Kai... that big for nothing car is so ugly, not good for a young and fashionable person at all. I will chose the Avensis even without engine, I prefer to be looking at the body shape rather than drive that ugly big for nothing car.

1 Like

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by shopy: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2015
viazi:
...Kai... that big for nothing car is so ugly, not good for a young and fashionable person at all. I will chose the Avensis even without engine, I prefer to be looking at the body shape rather than drive that ugly big for nothing car.

Please lets hear your facts & proofs about both cars,than we can now choose from that.Camry has on key point.which 9icetoo mentioned : high ground clearance over Avensis . Nice point considering our bad roads. More points please......
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by dokilolo: 3:55pm On Jan 05, 2015
dude both cars av borin dash board but d Camry is better when u go for the xle spec nd u can upgrade to a dvd dash giving u a better feel..

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Homguy(m): 6:35pm On Jan 05, 2015
I have always admired the aesthetics of the Avensis. interior and bodily beauty dusts the Camry. I infact , often thought the Avensis was between the Camry and the avalon . personally, I would go for the Avensis over and over again.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 05, 2015
abatically:

I don't see having fog lights as a big advantage. Even a 2014 Mercedes Benz S class doesn't have fog lights.. does that make it any inferior? XLE models of 2005 camry has fog lights. The only area I see the Avensis superior to the Camry is the number of airbags. If u think the 2005 Camry is boring to drive then the 2005 Avensis is terrible to drive. The car is slow as hell, 9.1 secs 0-60 for the 2.4L engine? No wonder pundits say the 2005 Avensis is less fun to drive than a Vectra.

ABS, VSC, 2005 camry XLE have 8 airbags as optional safety install.

1 Like

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2015
Another thing the North American XLE 02-06 Camry has is the wonderful JBL sound system (though the standard sound system is very good as well). I don't agree with what someone said earlier about the engine being underpowered, it's far from it. It's actually quite powerful. The V6 especially is pretty powerful and is used in the Lexus ES (The Camry's twin brother car), the Highlander, and the Lexus RX300/330.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 05, 2015
Fulaman198:
Another thing the North American XLE 02-06 Camry has is the wonderful JBL sound system (though the standard sound system is very good as well). I don't agree with what someone said earlier about the engine being underpowered, it's far from it. It's actually quite powerful. The V6 especially is pretty powerful and is used in the Lexus ES (The Camry's twin brother car), the Highlander, and the Lexus RX300/330.

The optional JBL audio system is awesome, the standard issue audio system is crap. Have you heard it play in a Highlander (A camry wagon)?

You need to hear and compare between a JBL and a standard issue audio setup (which is utterly rubbish compared to Honda's standard audio setup) so you can hate the evil behind this ish called 'trim levels' and 'optional extras' for its discriminatory. grin
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 10:04pm On Jan 05, 2015
lomomike:

The optional JBL audio system is awesome, the standard issue audio system is crap. Have you heard it play in a Highlander (A camry wagon)?

You need to hear and compare between a JBL and a standard issue audio setup (which is utterly rubbish compared to Honda's standard audio setup) so you can hate the evil behind this ish called 'trim levels' and 'optional extras' for its discriminatory. grin

I don't know I've heard both the JBL and non-JBL in the Camry of 02 - 06. I didn't notice much of a difference. Both had heavy bass as if there was some kind of subwoofer in them.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by shopy: 1:09am On Jan 06, 2015
Guys, In terms of engine,which one generate more power & torque.camry / Avensis
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 06, 2015
shopy:
Guys, In terms of engine,which one generate more power & torque.camry / Avensis

A camry have bigger engine options. The 2005 model Camry SE V6 has a 3.3L V6 rated at 230hp and 242ib-ft, while the 2005 Camry LE and XLE V6 has a 3.0L V6 which churns out 190hp and 193ib-ft.

These engines are torquey and powerful for those model years.

1 Like

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 8:10am On Jan 06, 2015
lomomike:

A camry have bigger engine options. The 2005 model Camry SE V6 has a 3.3L V6 rated at 230hp and 242ib-ft, while the 2005 Camry LE and XLE V6 has a 3.0L V6 which churns out 190hp and 193ib-ft.

These engines are torquey and powerful for those model years.

100% correct. Though I think the 3.0 V6 was 192 hp and 209 lbs of torque for the 2002-04 models.

http://www.cars.com/toyota/camry/2002/specifications/?acode=USB20TOC021D0
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by 9icetoo(m): 1:17pm On Jan 06, 2015
Fulaman198:
I was referring to the 4 cylinder i4 (2azfe). For an engine of its size (2.4L) it's output 156 hp is pretty poor. The torque is quite comparable to engines of its size however a honda of same engine size delivers more hp. That jbl sound system sounds amazing if you have ever listened to the sound output of other regular sound systems. It sounds rich.

1 Like

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 06, 2015
nurey:
1.The Avensis is less likely to attract robbers than the camry
2. The Avensis is less common than the camry so you won't be too bored with it
3. I prefer the interior of the Avensis to the xle trim of that camry of same year.
4. The Avensis is a rugged and tough car but as it adds more years the dash is likely to crack
5. The Avensis looks more sporty and solid than that camry.
6. The Avensis has a wagon variant that kinda put it on par with the corolla, I don't think camry has a wagon variant.

The only issue is the resale value and buyer interest on Avensis is very low.

bout no6 venza and highlander are d suv use to replace camry wagon.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 06, 2015
9icetoo:

I was referring to the 4 cylinder i4 (2azfe). For an engine of its size (2.4L) it's output 156 hp is pretty poor. The torque is quite comparable to engines of its size however a honda of same engine size delivers more hp. That jbl sound system sounds amazing if you have ever listened to the sound output of other regular sound systems. It sounds rich.

For an engine produced since 2001 till date, that engine is powerful enough to take a camry, avensis, corolla. However, its underpowered for a highlander. Do you know that engine is a tuners delight?
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by shopy: 10:56pm On Jan 06, 2015
lomomike:

For an engine produced since 2001 till date, that engine is powerful enough to take a camry, avensis, corolla. However, its underpowered for a highlander. Do you know that engine is a tuners delight?

Please explain more on this.... does that mean camry i4 engine is powerful more than Avensis?
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by nurey(m): 8:15am On Jan 07, 2015
shopy:

Please explain more on this.... does that mean camry i4 engine is powerful more than Avensis?

Op seems you want to buy a car for racing better focus on buying a bugatti veyron.
The camry has a 6 cylinder variant which has more horse power than the avensis but the 4 cylinder avensis has more horse power than the 4 cylinder camry as stated with all the clarification and information given I don't expect you not to have known your choice.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by abatically(m): 8:53am On Jan 07, 2015
nurey:

Op seems you want to buy a car for racing better focus on buying a bugatti veyron.
The camry has a 6 cylinder variant which has more horse power than the avensis but the 4 cylinder avensis has more horse power than the 4 cylinder camry as stated with all the clarification and information given I don't expect you not to have known your choice.

Nope, the 4 cylinder avensis is not as powerful as the 4 cylinder Camry. The 2.4L version of the avensis is very scarce to get as only limited number were made, what u get most is the 2.0L version. Even though the 2.4L version has about 5 more hp than the corresponding Camry, the Camry is still faster. The avensis is as slow as hell, 0-60 at 9.2 seconds is not acceptable for such a small sedan.

1 Like

Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by 9icetoo(m): 11:37am On Jan 07, 2015
Op, either you go for the V6 version of the camry or yor you go for the 175 hp turbo diesel (D4D) version of the avensis. Both will give u plenty of power and a bit of luxury.
Re: Avensis 2005 Vs Camry 2005 Which One Is Better by Fulaman198(m): 4:14pm On Jan 07, 2015
9icetoo:

It's 157 HP and 162lbs/ft of torque. The similar generation Accord 4 cylinder had 4 more horsepower and the same torque so what do you mean that it was underpowered with a 0-60 time of 8.5 seconds, it wasn't too bad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Accept Or Reject "666" Plate Number? / My 03 Accord At 200,000miles (321,868km) / What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.