Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,400 members, 7,830,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? (988 Views)

Soldiers Kill 15 Boko Haram Members In Sambisa Forest, Recover Heavy Weapons / I’m Happy I Witnessed The Killing Of My Parents-– Ademulegun's Daughter / Protest In London Over The Killing Of Shiites By Nigerian Army In Zaria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 4:05pm On Jan 02, 2015
http://www.punchng.com/news/joining-apc-not-about-2015-presidency-buhari/

Why did Buhari criticise the FG for killing Boko Haram members in the past? Before I continue, I will post an excerpt from Punch which was published 2013:

Presidential candidate for the Congress for Progressive Change in the 2011 Presidential election, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd), has frowned on the emergency rule in parts of the North. He alleged that innocent civilians were being killed in the states.

Buhari speaking during a Liberty FM Hausa Service Programme, Guest of the Week, on Sunday in Kaduna said that Boko Haram members were being killed and their houses demolished unlike the “special treatment” given to the Niger Delta militants by the Federal Government

I presume he made that statement because of the "special treatment" given to the Niger Delta militants. What he however failed to realise was that the Niger Delta militants fought for a just cause and they enjoyed the sympathy of most Nigerians. Also the militants never targeted civilians. Their targets were the refineries. They only killed security operatives that get in their way.

Let's even assume that the Niger Militants were wrongly given special treatments, does that mean we should also give Boko Haram members special treatments too? Two wrongs does not make a right.

I'm guessing Buhari was just playing politics with Boko Haram. He tried equating it with Militancy. His logic is Boko Haram is to North as Militancy is to South. But he forgot that the demands by the militants (true fiscal federalism) was accepted by majority of Nigerians. Boko Haram demands (Islamization of Nigeria) doesn't enjoy the same acceptance rate.

Buhari had to change his Boko Haram stance and publicly condemn boko haram when he realised that the whole world noticed the barbaric acts of the sect.

So let's not blame some people who call Buhari the father of Boko Haram. They might be wrong but they only made such statement based on his stance on Boko Haram in the past. Even Boko Haram had thought so too, no wonder they chose Buhari as their mediator in the failed amnesty plan.
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by temitemi1(m): 4:16pm On Jan 02, 2015
Abeg ask the old fool... GEJ till 2019!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by lekkie073(m): 4:37pm On Jan 02, 2015
Because he is one of them

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by MalcoImX: 4:37pm On Jan 02, 2015
At a certain time, they too were not attacking civilians. And the general concern of Buhari then was the civilian casualties being recorded.
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by Montaque(m): 4:57pm On Jan 02, 2015
I am tempted to ask,what has he done out of power so far, that shows that he has something to do when he will be in power?
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 5:49pm On Jan 02, 2015
MalcoImX:
At a certain time, they too were not attacking civilians. And the general concern of Buhari then was the civilian casualties being recorded.
Not true. Check the facts. Buhari made this comment around June 2013 meanwhile Boko Haram began killing civilians as early as 2011.

Just do a Google search for "Boko Haram Timeline Of Attacks"

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by Redoil: 5:54pm On Jan 02, 2015
BH are buhari and APC foot soldiers which they are hoping will bring violent change of gov

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by aresa: 5:58pm On Jan 02, 2015
From your Dullard president's crackhead spokesman ... grin

Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 6:06pm On Jan 02, 2015
aresa:
From your Dullard president's crackhead spokesman ... grin
Why don't you stay on topic? The question is why did Buhari criticise the killings of Boko Haram members in the past?
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by MalcoImX: 6:07pm On Jan 02, 2015
NairalandOP:
Not true. Check the facts. Buhari made this comment around June 2013 meanwhile Boko Haram began killing civilians as early as 2011.

Just do a Google search for "Boko Haram Timeline Of Attacks"
Your motive for opening this thread is questionable. So, whatever is said will be twisted.
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by tit(f): 6:10pm On Jan 02, 2015
Pa buhari is the father of boko haram!
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 6:10pm On Jan 02, 2015
MalcoImX:
Your motive for opening this thread is questionable. So, whatever is said will be twisted.
So in effect, you are afraid to respond.
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by Iykopee(m): 6:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
U dont expect a bokoharam like buhari to say otherwise. He was simply showing sympathy for his boys

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 6:32pm On Jan 02, 2015
Mods please frontpage. We need intellectual discuss on the above topic.
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by Emdion(m): 6:46pm On Jan 02, 2015
it was after the killings of civilian in bama n baga in bornu villages close to 2 hundred people killed by the army that he said since they are fighting in revenge of Yusuf their leader, they b pardon like the Niger deltans militant
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by Emdion(m): 6:48pm On Jan 02, 2015
boko haram were only attacking military post as at then.
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by aresa: 6:54pm On Jan 02, 2015
NairalandOP:
Why don't you stay on topic? The question is why did Buhari criticise the killings of Boko Haram members in the past?

Is Boko Haram not the topic.

Why are you worrying your head about Buhari and your lies when in fact the man you put in office, the commander in chief and the man you pay to fight Boko Haram himself doesn't care and even openly uttered what his now crackhead spokesman said..? grin

You people can not run nor un away from your crooked, lying, corrupt and incompetent ways...
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by MalcoImX: 6:55pm On Jan 02, 2015
NairalandOP:
So in effect, you are afraid to respond.
I am questioning your motive of opening the thread, which is nothing other than to mislead. The first paragraph of any news captures the main points of whatever the person being interviewed surmised. Here's the whole news. Read with an open mind and tell me what Buhari is trying to say. And also, I challenge you to tell me what is Obasanjo's view on this issue.
|
Presidential candidate for the Congress for Progressive Change in the 2011 Presidential election, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd), has frowned on the emergency rule in parts of the North. He alleged that innocent civilians were being killed in the states.
Buhari speaking during a Liberty FM Hausa Service Programme, Guest of the Week, on Sunday in Kaduna said that Boko Haram members were being killed and their houses demolished unlike the “special treatment” given to the Niger Delta militants by the Federal Government
Buhari, who also blamed President Goodluck Jonathan for failing to tackle the security problems in the country, argued that the challenges started in the Niger Delta.
He said, “What is responsible for the security situation in the country is caused by the activities of Niger Delta militants.
“Every Nigerian that is familiar with happenings knows this. The Niger Delta militants started it all. What happened is that the governors of the Niger Delta at that time wanted to win their elections, so they recruited youths and gave guns and bullets to them to use against their opponents to win elections by force.
“After the elections, they asked the boys to return the guns, and the boys refused to do so. Because of that the allowance that was being given to them by the governors was stopped.”
Buhari said his joining the proposed All Progressives Congress was not all about securing the party presidential ticket for the 2015 elections.
According to him, the formation of the APC and his joining the group is to help effect the needed change in the polity and not just about his presidential ambition.
He declared, “If APC fails to give me the ticket, I will remain in partisan politics and in the party. Anyone the party picks as its candidate, I will support him because I will remain in the APC.”
Besides, Buhari noted that the problem of the country was that of bad leadership, which the APC was out to change.
|
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 7:28pm On Jan 02, 2015
Emdion:
boko haram were only attacking military post as at then.
http://m.hrw.org/news/2012/01/23/nigeria-boko-haram-widens-terror-campaign

I recommend you read that link. Besides the military and the police, Boko Haram were also killing innocent civillians. It was published January 2012 by Human Rights Watch and it was concerning the wide terror campaign of the sect. Buhari made that comment in mid-2013
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 7:38pm On Jan 02, 2015
aresa:
Is Boko Haram not the topic.

Why are you worrying mostr head about Buhari and your lies when in fact the man you put in office, the commander in chief and the man you pay to fight Boko Haram himself doesn't care and even openly uttered what his now crackhead spokesman said..? grin

You people can not run nor un away from your crooked, lying, corrupt and incompetent ways...
The topic is not about Boko Haram but about Buhari's stance on Boko Haram in the past.

I've noticed that Buhari supporters are always quick to attack Jonathan when issues criticising Buhari are raised rather than addressing the issues therein.

My humble advice to you is that this strategy won't work. I want you to know that people who are critical of Buhari are not necessarily in support of Jonathan. Attacking those people or Jonathan instead of addressing the issues raised might make you lose earning their votes come February 14.
Re: Why Did Buhari Criticise The Killing Of Boko Haram Members In The Past? by ShowYourCertificate: 7:45pm On Jan 02, 2015
MalcoImX:

I am questioning your motive of opening the thread, which is nothing other than to mislead. The first paragraph of any news captures the main points of whatever the person being interviewed surmised. Here's the whole news. Read with an open mind and tell me what Buhari is trying to say. And also, I challenge you to tell me what is Obasanjo's view on this issue.
|
Buhari, who also blamed President Goodluck Jonathan for failing to tackle the security problems in the country, argued that the challenges started in the Niger Delta.
He said, “What is responsible for the security situation in the country is caused by the activities of Niger Delta militants.
“Every Nigerian that is familiar with happenings knows this. The Niger Delta militants started it all. What happened is that the governors of the Niger Delta at that time wanted to win their elections, so they recruited youths and gave guns and bullets to them to use against their opponents to win elections by force.
“After the elections, they asked the boys to return the guns, and the boys refused to do so. Because of that the allowance that was being given to them by the governors was stopped.”
Buhari said his joining the proposed All Progressives Congress was not all about securing the party presidential ticket for the 2015 elections.
According to him, the formation of the APC and his joining the group is to help effect the needed change in the polity and not just about his presidential ambition.
He declared, “If APC fails to give me the ticket, I will remain in partisan politics and in the party. Anyone the party picks as its candidate, I will support him because I will remain in the APC.”
Besides, Buhari noted that the problem of the country was that of bad leadership, which the APC was out to change.
|
So are you suggesting that Boko Haram members were innocent civilians? Because in those statement of his in bold, he mentioned the killing of innocent civilians and the killing of Boko Haram.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari's Message To Nigerians This Morning: "Let Us Talk, Nigerian To Nigerian." / 32 Reasons Why You Should Vote Jonathan (GEJ) #ourgej / APC And PDP Are The Same Cant We Stop Deceiving Ourselves?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.